TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
About 6 minutes in he says it hasn't been solved because it is a complex case. I wonder if that is his personal opinion or did he get that from LE. I've never got that impression. I actually thought it was very simplistic in its execution. The planning leading up to it probably took a lot of time.

I've often thought the killer probably planned to walk up and shoot her in her doorway or next to her car and the garage sale was happenstance. Now that I've read that Elizabeth usually left first and Sergio would likely have been at home I'm doubting that theory. I now wonder if this murder had been in the works for a while and when the garage sale came up the killer decided to take advantage of it. The counter to that is they did not advertise the sale, only put signs out the evening before and only a few folks knew about the sale. If this is something the killer had been working for a while then maybe they made several trips to that neighborhood in months leading up to the murder.

I still find it difficult to believe it hasn't been solved after being caught on video. This is so personal it would seem that someone would know who had a grudge against Elizabeth.

This lines up extremely close with what I think may have happened.

For the most part, I think it is likely the idea for it was planned, but the last parts (such as the truck) may have been improvised in collusion with the perfect opportunity of her being alone extremely early in the morning.

I am picturing someone that had a light bulb idea that morning seeing the truck available and the fact that S would be gone and Liz would be alone on a dark morning.

OK, I think I'm caught up now on many aspects of this case. One thing that puzzles me is, if this garage sale wasn't publicized much in advance, how did they expect any buyers to find it, especially on a Friday. Who would be out looking for a sale Friday morning when most people are headed to work? How would they have expected to sell anything? Are Friday garage/yard sales a thing around there? Otherwise I'd expect most garage sale enthusiasts would be planning out their adventures for a Saturday morning.

ETA Also, are January yard sales common in TX? They're mostly Spring/Summer activities around here.

Last edited:
OK, I think I'm caught up now on many aspects of this case. One thing that puzzles me is, if this garage sale wasn't publicized much in advance, how did they expect any buyers to find it, especially on a Friday. Who would be out looking for a sale Friday morning when most people are headed to work? How would they have expected to sell anything? Are Friday garage/yard sales a thing around there? Otherwise I'd expect most garage sale enthusiasts would be planning out their adventures for a Saturday morning.

ETA Also, are January yard sales common in TX? They're mostly Spring/Summer activities around here.
The garage sale was supposed to be for both Friday, January 25, 2019, and Saturday, January 26, 2019.

They probably did it that way so traffic into the neighborhood would be the advertisement for the garage sale on Friday and probably(in my opinion) thought that most of their customers would come by on Saturday January 26th.

Again, the timing is interesting because at that time in the morning people could be taking their kids to school or a newspaper person could be delivering a newspaper, etc. This gives me the impression that whoever committed this crime was comfortable with the murder happening in the morning, when there would probably be the least amount of potential interruptions.

They certainly do not seem concerned about the vehicle, a Nissan Frontier Pro-4X. Everything I researched about it said this vehicle is sold by Nissan for off-roading purposes. I think the vehicle is or was at least one of the murderer's personal vehicles. Why a paid hitman would choose something so unique and easy for police to look out for is strange. But after four years, just because someone is driving around in a Nissan Frontier Pro-4X truck does not make them a murderer. But driving around in a Nissan Frontier Pro-4X truck and having a connection to Elizabeth Barraza will certainly make them seem suspicious.

The garage sale was supposed to be for both Friday, January 25, 2019, and Saturday, January 26, 2019.

They probably did it that way so traffic into the neighborhood would be the advertisement for the garage sale on Friday and probably(in my opinion) thought that most of their customers would come by on Saturday January 26th.

Again, the timing is interesting because at that time in the morning people could be taking their kids to school or a newspaper person could be delivering a newspaper, etc. This gives me the impression that whoever committed this crime was comfortable with the murder happening in the morning, when there would probably be the least amount of potential interruptions.

They certainly do not seem concerned about the vehicle, a Nissan Frontier Pro-4X. Everything I researched about it said this vehicle is sold by Nissan for off-roading purposes. I think the vehicle is or was at least one of the murderer's personal vehicles. Why a paid hitman would choose something so unique and easy for police to look out for is strange. But after four years, just because someone is driving around in a Nissan Frontier Pro-4X truck does not make them a murderer. But driving around in a Nissan Frontier Pro-4X truck and having a connection to Elizabeth Barraza will certainly make them seem suspicious.

I think it was likely the vehicle was borrowed under the guise of it being used to a quick run somewhere.

That, or it was used while the owner (who was not from the area) was asleep (it was extremely early in the morning) and was (and still is) none the wiser.

I feel like the murderer is ultimately someone who has a very loose, tenuous connection with Liz--making it very hard to zero in on them as suspect through standard investigating. Liz worked at a pipeline inspection company--her workplace being one of the few places that were aware of the garage sale. I feel like the girlfriend/wife/SO of a co-worker would be a possibility. Maybe the SO of one of the field inspectors? Someone calls Liz their "work girlfriend" or constantly compares their SO to Liz.

Think about it...truck that is noted for being used "off road" and a revolver--a simple gun to operate and possibly kept for animal protection/self-defense on-site. The SO asks to borrow/use this co-worker's car and has had pent-up anger about Liz that in reality Liz knows nothing about--and that is ultimately the drive/motive to kill her.

I think it's an angle worth looking into. Who at her job had owned or previously driven the 4x (and subsequently got rid of it shortly after). Also see if any coworkers have registered revolvers or have typically used/carried revolvers often.

I feel like the murderer is ultimately someone who has a very loose, tenuous connection with Liz--making it very hard to zero in on them as suspect through standard investigating. Liz worked at a pipeline inspection company--her workplace being one of the few places that were aware of the garage sale. I feel like the girlfriend/wife/SO of a co-worker would be a possibility. Maybe the SO of one of the field inspectors? Someone calls Liz their "work girlfriend" or constantly compares their SO to Liz.

Think about it...truck that is noted for being used "off road" and a revolver--a simple gun to operate and possibly kept for animal protection/self-defense on-site. The SO asks to borrow/use this co-worker's car and has had pent-up anger about Liz that in reality Liz knows nothing about--and that is ultimately the drive/motive to kill her.

I think it's an angle worth looking into. Who at her job had owned or previously driven the 4x (and subsequently got rid of it shortly after). Also see if any coworkers have registered revolvers or have typically used/carried revolvers often.
I'm onboard with all of this except checking gun owners with registered revolvers. Texas does not require registration of most firearms.

I have two theories about the revolver.

1. Is super easy to use, doesn’t jam, doesn’t eject and was used very methodically.

2. It was simply the quickest weapon the shooter could obtain. Revolvers are not used much anymore and it could be one that was sitting around the house (I am picturing this to be an unhappy married woman that shot Liz) or was just the easiest thing for the shooter to get their hands on (possibly on short notice)

You would think that law-enforcement would have connected any known parties to Elizabeth (assuming that they did their job), so we have a killer that Liz probably did not know directly. Given the killers familiarity with the garage sale and use of a particular disguise leaning towards cosplay, I would say that the killer did not know Liz, but probably knows someone who does, and who has a grievance with her. This perpetrator may have acted for payment, or committed the act because of a strong tie to the person that had it in for Liz. Without DNA evidence, this really does represent the most difficult kind of case to solve. On TV they have satellites picking up license plates from space or psychics like Odamae in Ghost, but with a disguise and no license plate nor shell casings this case probably requires wayyyyyy more man-hours than can be assigned to any one case.

I still think that the key to solving this case lies in finding out who searched for her address within close proximity to the crime. We know that they cased the area at 2 AM and I doubt that they were looking at a map that was in the glove compartment. This case, because of the lack of evidence, will require the use of high tech and a few good nerds.
BBM. This! 100%, agreed, imo. In addition, a portion of your post was snipped, my apologies.

I believe that a lot of women choose revolvers, because they are simply easier to use, are excellent in close proximity situations and will not jam. That being said, I also alluded in an earlier post to the fact that a lot of women borrow their boyfriends or husbands trucks-depending on circumstances. While I cannot say for sure if the perpetrator was male or female, I have heard videos that have done voice analysis of the perp and that the decibel range was that of a male voice.

And what if the same woman used her boyfriend or husband’s truck with the intent of having it identified and thereby framing him for the murder? I know this sounds more made-for-TV, but all scenarios must be reflected on. If the perp was related to her work place (extramarital affairs emanate from the workplace), it could explain how the killer knew about the garage sale and Liz’ affinity for Star Wars. It would be easy for them to find Liz’ home address from the workplace, I would imagine. It could also explain why the car was not detected fleeing the area as it may have been a local resident capable of secreting the vehicle quickly.

The killer’s mindset was basically that I want to kill Liz. She’s having a garage sale on this particular day. I’m going to do it early so that nobody is on scene. I’m going to drive by her house at 2 AM to make sure that the yard sale is on and that I can plan my approach to her driveway. Sergio’s being there or not being there may or may not have been a part of the equation.

My final thought relates to Sergio. I can only place myself in his shoes and ask myself what I would do if my wife had been brutally murdered in my driveway. While he has stated that he was concerned for himself, and the possibility of the killer targeting him in the future, I cannot fathom how someone can sleep at night knowing that someone savagely murdered his wife and he could be next-similar to how the mafia might kill your child or your wife if they actually want to make you suffer. I would definitely find it difficult to spend even one more night at the home after an event like that.

This isn’t like having your dog run over in the street in front of your home-although that, too, would be very tragic. When I see people in similar circumstances make it their life’s crusade to find the killer of their wife, husband, child, brother, or sister, I see a resolution for justice in them that I see none of in Sergio. If he loved her as much as he claims, then, by honor alone, he should make it his life‘s crusade to find her killer. I would find it very difficult to move on in my life until something of this magnitude was resolved.

Godspeed in finding her killer And happy Easter to everyone!

Last edited:

I think the key in a case like this is motive. That is what is missing. Even though i agree it could be someone with a very loose connection to Elizabeth Barraza, they had to feel like they had a strong motive. It takes a lot to case a neighborhood out the night before at 2 am and then go back and wait before 7 am. Then to quickly get out of a truck and shoot someone 4 times in such a cold-blooded manner says this person really did not like Elizabeth Barraza.

In reviewing the footage again, it looks like when the murderer pulls out the gun Elizabeth Barraza puts her hands up but close to her body and face. Then when the first shot is fired, she screams, and in a defensive motion puts her hands even closer to her body and face during the next 2 shots. It is only when she is on the ground that she is no longer in a defensive position when the murderer fires the last shot. In my opinion, this could be a reason for the murderer to come back to check on the body, because 2 of the shots may have been somewhat blocked by her posture before she fell to the ground. They may not have seen those shots enter her body. If you were a detective, you might look for someone who normally wears glasses or has them for driving when they deal with glare from the sun.

As for whether it is a man or woman, I do not know. I think it is a woman right now because that is what the clothing looks like on the surveillance footage. It could be a man dressed up as a woman. But that would be sort of strange because of the vehicle. The man takes all that time to go to the trouble of dressing up like a woman only to take a chance of being pulled over in such a unique murder vehicle. It does not make sense.

After reaching out to a few University-level forensic teams, it would appear that the cases they take on must be at the request of law enforcement and not by private parties. I understand that the Vidocq society has similar parameters. This most likely would mean that a university within Texas must be utilized, so my next effort will be to find a Texas-based university forensics team with the desire to solve this case. I am sure that this will require the cooperation of local authorities, so that will need to be addressed as well

WE ARE CLOSE. WE NEED 500 DOLLARS IN DONATIONS TO REACH OUR GOAL TO KEEP WEBSLEUTHS GOING.
Every month for about 228 months (that is 19 years) I have gladly paid the bills. Rarely over the 19 years have I asked for your help. THANK YOU to all who have donated. I will post an announcement and stop accepting donations when we reach our goal!
Please use PayPal Pay Websleuths.com, LLC using PayPal.Me
If the PayPal link does not work for you go to www.paypal.com and put in the email websleuths.com@gmail.com and you can send a donation that way.
Venmo name is Tricia-Griffith-14
OR
Cash App $tgrif14

(PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS DONATIONS ON THIS THREAD. CLICK HERE FOR DISCUSSION AND MORE INFORMATION)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Tricia

In regards to the insurance payout, iirc, there wasn’t any mention of speaking with the insurance carrier about what options was available such as paying out funds once the beneficiary is cleared and murder solved that way the funds could be used as award money, anyone recall? It would definitely entice someone to come forward with larger award fund, imo. So over four years later, the money gains interest and we still have no answers to who killed Liz Barraza. No arrest(s). It’s madness! Imo, all of it! In the beginning, it was supposedly an easy solvable case... what happened?

Last edited:
I think the key in a case like this is motive. That is what is missing. Even though i agree it could be someone with a very loose connection to Elizabeth Barraza, they had to feel like they had a strong motive. It takes a lot to case a neighborhood out the night before at 2 am and then go back and wait before 7 am. Then to quickly get out of a truck and shoot someone 4 times in such a cold-blooded manner says this person really did not like Elizabeth Barraza.

In reviewing the footage again, it looks like when the murderer pulls out the gun Elizabeth Barraza puts her hands up but close to her body and face. Then when the first shot is fired, she screams, and in a defensive motion puts her hands even closer to her body and face during the next 2 shots. It is only when she is on the ground that she is no longer in a defensive position when the murderer fires the last shot. In my opinion, this could be a reason for the murderer to come back to check on the body, because 2 of the shots may have been somewhat blocked by her posture before she fell to the ground. They may not have seen those shots enter her body. If you were a detective, you might look for someone who normally wears glasses or has them for driving when they deal with glare from the sun.

As for whether it is a man or woman, I do not know. I think it is a woman right now because that is what the clothing looks like on the surveillance footage. It could be a man dressed up as a woman. But that would be sort of strange because of the vehicle. The man takes all that time to go to the trouble of dressing up like a woman only to take a chance of being pulled over in such a unique murder vehicle. It does not make sense.
Disguises and (at least attempting to be) clever with concealing identity is much more like a female tactic to me. Guys usually just wear a hat, sunglasses, maybe gloves and dark clothing. Men are not usually as creative or clever based on the umpteen hours of true crime stories I have listened to.

To me, the boots are the biggest problem. These were the soft "Ugg" style booties. Would a man really have gone out and bought a pair that fit him, just to carry out this crime?

To me, the boots are the biggest problem. These were the soft "Ugg" style booties. Would a man really have gone out and bought a pair that fit him, just to carry out this crime?

I don't think he'd necessarily have to purchase them. My husband and I wear the same size shoes, for example. I'm sure it's not that uncommon. Even if they were a tad small, they could have been tolerated for a short amount of time.

I don't think he'd necessarily have to purchase them. My husband and I wear the same size shoes, for example. I'm sure it's not that uncommon. Even if they were a tad small, they could have been tolerated for a short amount of time.
I think that’s not very common to have the same size feet as your spouse.

The average man wears a 10.5 (which corresponds to a women’s 12.5). The average woman wears a 7-8.

Source: What is the Average Shoe Size for a Woman?

In the footage, the perps feet seem to be loosely fitting, common for a female around Liz's age and demographic.

I am not trying to force a narrative, but based on what we know and what I have seen, the shooter is dressed like a woman in their late 20s - mid 30s that is carrying out an early morning activity such as walking a dog or smoking a cigarette outside.

I could see the other point of view too: that the garage sale meant nothing.

For example, if you knew you were going to get rid of the Nissan Frontier Pro-4X truck, I think that plan would have been put in place before the murderer started driving it around the subdivision area. Then because of the timing of the garage sale signs, the garage sale meant nothing other than the murderer found Elizabeth Barraza outside attending to a garage sale.

It seems like in this case police looked into everyone close to her, husband, friends, family, etc. I think after that point looking at any neighbor who lived where or close to where they could see her putting up the garage sale signs is important because you never know. The whole time it might have been someone who lived right there in the same neighborhood.
Maybe, or maybe not.

Garage sale was just the best opportunity theory: It could just be the opportune time and garage sell was not symbolic at all. In one theory, I think the killer just happened to have the perfect storm. A truck from out of town, a quick excuse to borrow it super early (or took it while they slept), and grabbed the closest gun they could get their hands on (or had it ready, pre-planned with an easy to use weapon that does not eject the rounds and has almost no chance of misfiring). Mix those with the fact that they knew Liz would be alone in a dark area at that time and BAM! Garage sell is just the opportunity in the means, motive, and opportunity.

Garage sale was the whole reason: Now, lets say the perp had all the motive and opportunity (such as could have just shot Liz somewhere else) outside of the garage sale. The underlying details of the garage sale could have been the straw that broke the camels back, if this was the case. Liz and S were coming up on an anniversary, right? From what I understood, the yard sale was a responsible way for Liz and S to make some cash before going to DisneyLand/World. Now mix in the anniversary and the fact they were going somewhere magical for cosplay, Disney, and Star Wars lovers. These two details mixed together may really push somoene over the edge...but what about one more thing? To me (pure speculation) the really fire-setting detail would be something sold in that garage sale. For instance, a prized item that was gifted to Liz with much more meaning that she realized, or an item that Liz won that was much more valued to someone else, but is now being sold for next to nothing at a garage sale, just to be used for some spending money at a place someone else wanted to go to badly (and possibly with S?).

Or who knows, maybe its both or a little bit of both? Maybe neither of these things or theories have anything to do with it. This is pure speculation and I am not a professional by any means, just what goes through my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lisa83