TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip - quoted post removed>

1. Was it possible for S to ONLY see police tape and a police officer walk in front of it (whatever that means)?
  2. Is it possible there was no view of the driveway? Was Nest camera set to film front door entrance only?
The killer knew way too much. In the videos, it appears the killer deliberately cut across the drive after the star wars helmets like they were MARKERS....IMO

There's a view of the driveway attached. <modsnip - no link for images> Sergio's white panel van is in view. It's either not there when Liz leaves for Starbucks or I assume further up the drive or in the garage. The angle looked totally different to me...picks up the end of the driveway to the street.

1st pic/Left: Sergio's work van
Right: Liz leaving for Starbucks
2nd pic: Sergio's work van

Last edited by a moderator:
One more thought on the "Perp parked 1 minute in the Goddard School" episode. I keep asking myself "Why did the killer(s) go to the Goddard School for ONLY one minute?

"At approximately 6:47am, a black Nissan Frontier enters Liz's neighborhood and parks in the parking lot of the Goddard School. The truck leaves one minute later, at 6:48am, presumably to hide on another nearby street."

• Early Morning [06:48:00 AM] The Nissan Frontier leaves the Goddard School parking lot to conceal on a different street.
  • Early Morning [06:48:00 AM] Sergio leaves the property to go to work, in a white panel van.

I will say that there is one very compelling argument for being in the school lot only one minute-to put the disguise on. Driving with it on, at least the wig and mask, would have not been very subtle and would draw attention. It's very likely that this action would take only a minute or so.

One more thought on the "Perp parked 1 minute in the Goddard School" episode. I keep asking myself "Why did the killer(s) go to the Goddard School for ONLY one minute?

"At approximately 6:47am, a black Nissan Frontier enters Liz's neighborhood and parks in the parking lot of the Goddard School. The truck leaves one minute later, at 6:48am, presumably to hide on another nearby street."

• Early Morning [06:48:00 AM] The Nissan Frontier leaves the Goddard School parking lot to conceal on a different street.
  • Early Morning [06:48:00 AM] Sergio leaves the property to go to work, in a white panel van.

I will say that there is one very compelling argument for being in the school lot only one minute-to put the disguise on. Driving with it on, at least the wig and mask, would have not been very subtle and would draw attention. It's very likely that this action would take only a minute or so.
Do not overthink this. The murder pulled into the school because the communication had not been done yet that S left for work. They were looking for a place to stall for a minute.

Do not overthink this. The murder pulled into the school because the communication had not been done yet that S left for work. They were looking for a place to stall for a minute.
I agree with this. I've always thought truck driver was waiting for S to leave, then it was time to make its move. IMO.

It's interesting that S gives a specific time that he left for work that day...<modsnip>, IMO <modsnip>

That is a reasonable idea. If the disguise was not comfortable to wear or caused issues with driving that might be the case.

The timing of it all is so very suspicious though. Could be multiple things going on at once (getting the “all clear” and getting disguise in place).

True, the perp could have just as easily put on the disguise at the final location on the adjacent street. The parking lot appears to be the "all clear" location.

I'm watching the Paula Zahn episode again. I'll take notes as I go.

"I'm thinking what the heck happened" is what SB said he thought when he saw the police walk in front of the ring camera.

Liz's dad said "we were in Liz's notification chain", then "we immediately called her" then they went to the house because she wasn't answering.

(Regarding the notification chain, is this where the alarm company calls person a, then with no answer they call person b, then down the list or does the alarm company notify everyone in the chain? With alarms I'm familiar with they've contacted down the list one at a time until someone answered. I guess my question here is, did they attempt to call LB then SB then the parents? Did SB not answer?)

"I never thought I'd get there and they'd say she wasn't going to make it" "It just didn't make sense, why someone would do this, I just didn't understand." - SB

"Police spoke with co-workers who backed up the time Sergio arrived" -PZ

3 neighbors heard the shots

I'll have to finish the rest later, I'm about halfway through but can't finish right now.

Okay watching the rest of Paula Zahn, I'll keep making notes.

SB & Liz's mom watched the video together. Mom cries as she says "the worst part was seeing her step back, knowing she was afraid.... hearing the gunshots and screaming, it was just really hard." SB says "it was horrible, I tried to connect someone with that body shape, that stride, but I couldn't connect anyone." (emotionless IMO)

"On a normal day, Liz would have already been on her way to the office. They had to know about the garage sale."

Most of the people who knew Liz was having a garage sale were in Liz's inner circle.

Liz was the only employee at the firm that was not at work that morning.

Liz was a data analyst.

LZ "Sergio was adamant no one in the group was responsible" about the 501st. Detectives agreed, after investigating everyone in the group.

The timing and planning was impeccable, led them to believe it may be a professional.

Who benefited from Liz's death?

Detective "does she have any life insurance, he said yes, she has it through her company, he didn't think it was that much"

Detective says "main policy was $500k" then Paula says "with a double indemnity clause for murder, which means double the initial $250k policy" (This is super not clear to me, why would the detective say the main policy was $500k if it was $250k with the double indemnity????)

PZ "Did Sergio seem in a hurry to get to the hospital to check on Liz?"
Detective: "I released him, he stuck around to talk to media and neighbors"
Detective: "When he was showing me the video there was no emotion, he didn't seem upset seeing his wife screaming and being shot"

No evidence on phones of either spouse having BF or GF. SB passed a polygraph.

Any unusual financial transactions leading up to Liz's murder? No

Sergio raised the possibility that his dad was involved. SB's dad passed a polygraph.

Okay watching Arron Stoner now and he asked Sergio when they’d each leave. He told Alex that Sb usually left before Liz and Liz usually left at 7. But that’s not what detectives said on the Paula show who got the times from her employer.

Edit: the address SB was meeting at was 20902 Kuykendahl rd Spring TX. The police report shows “During our conversation, Mr Barraza never inquired about the condition of his wife nor did he request approval to go to the hospital.” Also I didn’t realize his specific time leaving the house was mentioned that very same day in his initial interview, i always assumed he knew later by looking back at the ring footage.

Last edited:
Okay watching Arron Stoner now and he asked Sergio when they’d each leave. He told Alex that Sb usually left before Liz and Liz usually left at 7. But that’s not what detectives said on the Paula show who got the times from her employer.
Not surprised. The first inconsistency was at the very first presser.

Many other things said online by Sergio over the years.....don't add up or change.

In the incident report, the neighbor across from them said Sergio left earlier than usual....he usually left at 7 and Liz would leave early in the morning. Detectives have always said Liz would have already been on the road that day.

The one that shocked me the most was getting his anniversary date wrong, especially considering the circumstances.

I'm watching the Paula Zahn episode again. I'll take notes as I go.

"I'm thinking what the heck happened" is what SB said he thought when he saw the police walk in front of the ring camera.

Liz's dad said "we were in Liz's notification chain", then "we immediately called her" then they went to the house because she wasn't answering.

(Regarding the notification chain, is this where the alarm company calls person a, then with no answer they call person b, then down the list or does the alarm company notify everyone in the chain? With alarms I'm familiar with they've contacted down the list one at a time until someone answered. I guess my question here is, did they attempt to call LB then SB then the parents? Did SB not answer?)

"I never thought I'd get there and they'd say she wasn't going to make it" "It just didn't make sense, why someone would do this, I just didn't understand." - SB

"Police spoke with co-workers who backed up the time Sergio arrived" -PZ

3 neighbors heard the shots

I'll have to finish the rest later, I'm about halfway through but can't finish right now.
The way it works is they call the first number, then the second number, etc etc. I have always wondered this myself. Was S the second number or were her parents the second number? If I had an alarm system, I would have a list where it would be me, then my husband, then a family member. I would put down my husbands number no matter what as the second number.

<modsnip> I ask myself why didn't the killer ambush her as she left for work on any given day? Or in a different location, perhaps leaving work or when arriving home? It is because the sale afforded a unsuspecting and disarmed target with a high likelihood of success and no contact DNA. No struggle, easy to approach/flee, better witness management, fewer high quality cams (btw RING cams only record when activated-they are not continuous feed). As I have mentioned before, the highest value of the garage sale appears to have been the opportunity to kill Liz. We can agree that the financial gain from the sale would be minimal.

The killer has been lucky thus far, like someone who manages to successfully walk through a mine field. Their use of a cosplay-like disguise further cements the link to the inner circle. The killer knew that wearing that disguise would both conceal their identity AND put Liz at ease-this requires intimate knowledge of Liz AND THE NATURE of the garage sale. The killer knew about the sale and Liz' affinity for Star Wars/Cosplay. 0% chance this is random and 100% chance the killer had inside information.

When someone parks on the street, they attract attention. I agree that the school afforded a "safer" place to wait than, say, on the adjacent street where residents and cameras come into play. The killer did not want to loiter in that residential area for too long. IMHO

<modsnip - quoted post removed> I ask myself why didn't the killer ambush her as she left for work on any given day? Or in a different location, perhaps leaving work or when arriving home? It is because the sale afforded a unsuspecting and disarmed target with a high likelihood of success and no contact DNA. No struggle, easy to approach/flee, better witness management, fewer high quality cams (btw RING cams only record when activated-they are not continuous feed). As I have mentioned before, the highest value of the garage sale appears to have been the opportunity to kill Liz. We can agree that the financial gain from the sale would be minimal.

The killer has been lucky thus far, like someone who manages to successfully walk through a mine field. Their use of a cosplay-like disguise further cements the link to the inner circle. The killer knew that wearing that disguise would both conceal their identity AND put Liz at ease-this requires intimate knowledge of Liz AND THE NATURE of the garage sale. The killer knew about the sale and Liz' affinity for Star Wars/Cosplay. 0% chance this is random and 100% chance the killer had inside information.
Maybe the rings have changed since Liz’s death but I have quite a few rings and you can set them to take screenshots every 1,5,10,60, etc minutes. It might depend on what time it is. My two rings that are wired take a screenshot every 60 seconds unless activated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member