TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m going to go back to early conversation Liz’s dad said. To do it the way that they did. I think that is key. More recently he said, it was highly planned and extremely personal. This looks really personal.

IMO, someone didn’t want Liz going to Orlando. The killer took a huge risk. I’ve always had the feeling that if they (shooter) were caught it didn’t matter to them.
… they (killer) were willing to take the risk. It was worth it to them. They're that angry, and that determined to kill Liz.
I agree that it was targeted. It could have been someone in Liz's close circle, but it also could have been a stalker who only imagined a close relationship with Liz.

And it was almost certainly personal to someone—if not the killer than someone who hired the killer.

If it was a paid hit, then the possibility of mistaken identity as mentioned by @moslym3 cannot be ruled out.

It is a very bizarre case because she seems like the type of person who would have no enemies whatsoever.

<modsnip>

However, the love-triangle scenario that has been discussed ever since Sergio remarried seems like the most fruitful avenue of investigation.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one crazy case.....the husband gets engaged & married within 2 years of the assassination of his previous wife. Not saying he was involved in any way, just seems strange. Then again, we all react differently in chaotic situations. Im sure the detectives looked him over very well......which is why this case is crazy to me, she doesnt come across as someone having any enemies, at least anyone willing to kill her.

Even in todays age with cameras everywhere & the technological advancements the police have, still no arrests. I thought police have the technology of seeing anyones phone number at the scene of a crime if the perp had their phone on them & not knowing anything about who the perp is, just phone numbers being in that location at a certain time, then again, maybe the perp didnt bring a phone with them.

well......which is why this case is crazy to me, she doesnt come across as someone having any enemies, at least anyone willing to kill her.

Well, S thought of someone who might have wanted to kill her... and it's quite a powerful assertion that holds up to all the facts of the case as we understand them so far. So I'd say we have a very strong suspicion of who's behind Liz's death, we just don't know who pulled the trigger... I'm guessing this is where LE is stuck as well. Hopefully they know more than us.

I’d like to briefly talk about the murder of John Lennon, shot four times at close range outside of his home by Mark David Chapman. Yes, many years before Liz’s murder. However, getting into the mind of the killer… I’ve made mention before of a psychotic episode Liz’s shooter might have experienced.

In addition, MDC was angry at Lennon, enough to brutally murder him in cold blood. Allegedly he started his plan to kill Lennon three (3) months before the murder.

Only throwing this out here as it’s interesting to me… MDC was angry about Lennon singing about love and peace and no possessions yet he had millions.

What was Liz’s killer angry about? Or was it a way to get back at S? So many unanswered questions.

We need some unreleased videos released. However, maybe they haven’t been released because LE know of suspect(s) but need that one tip to seal it! Hope so.

IMO and MOO

I’d like to briefly talk about the murder of John Lennon, shot four times at close range outside of his home by Mark David Chapman. Yes, many years before Liz’s murder. However, getting into the mind of the killer… I’ve made mention before of a psychotic episode Liz’s shooter might have experienced.

In addition, MDC was angry at Lennon, enough to brutally murder him in cold blood. Allegedly he started his plan to kill Lennon three (3) months before the murder.

Only throwing this out here as it’s interesting to me… MDC was angry about Lennon singing about love and peace and no possessions yet he had millions.

What was Liz’s killer angry about? Or was it a way to get back at S? So many unanswered questions.

We need some unreleased videos released. However, maybe they haven’t been released because LE know of suspect(s) but need that one tip to seal it! Hope so.

IMO and MOO

Maybe she possessed something the killer wanted? Jealousy, anger, greed....

I feel your pain, and so do many others. Maybe if the victim was blonde, blue-eyed and from a well-heeled family the results may be different. As Dr. Locard once said, "Every contact leaves a trace". Lacking DNA, this case has, from the beginning, required a lot of old-fashioned gum-shoe investigative work. LE has proven time and again that they CAN IN FACT find needles in haystacks, yet NOTHING has come from a crime committed in a such a VERY SPECIFIC vehicle-type? We can land on Mars, but we can't find that truck? And, barring that a complete stranger committed this act, there is IN FACT a link between the killer and the victim. Never in my life have I more wanted to be a detective, and on this case specifically. This perp deserves to be cast down into the bowels of the most violent prison in America.

Maybe they need to take the reward money and use it to hire a first-class private investigator. Hell, I'd even reach out to a psychic. Has a LE criminal profile ever been done? Why hasn't the FBI Behavioral Science Unit been called in?

Agree. The arrest in the Idaho murders is a great example of how amazing detective work and leveraging all the available local and national resources led to a rapid result.

Maybe she possessed something the killer wanted? Jealousy, anger, greed....
Looking at the grainy video footage, the killer's body language makes the killer appear angry. Anger and jealousy aren't mutually exclusive.

The jealousy could have been over S, but it also could have been over Liz's job, her position within the Star Wars cosplay community, or even a friendship.

S has said that Liz's co-workers were among the only people who knew about the garage sale, so jealousy or anger over a work situation would not surprise me. I would want to know whether anyone had been fired, reprimanded, or passed over for a promotion because of anything to do with Liz.

Here's my profile of the killer:
An overweight, physically unattractive female around Liz's age who is loud, explosive, and vindictive.
Someone whom others avoid challenging because they know that they'll be "in for it."
Someone who has friends only because certain people would rather be allied to her than be on her list of enemies.
Someone who thinks that she's better than other people even though no one else would agree and who comes across as a know-it-all.
Someone who could be described as a "Karen" in modern parlance.

If you can identify someone like that who might have a grudge against Liz—because of jealousy or because of ANY perceived slight, no matter how minor—then you will have the killer, IMO.

Last edited:
Looking at the grainy video footage, the killer's body language makes the killer appear angry. Anger and jealousy aren't mutually exclusive.

The jealousy could have been over S, but it also could have been over Liz's job, her position within the Star Wars cosplay community, or even a friendship.

S has said that Liz's co-workers were among the only people who knew about the garage sale, so jealousy or anger over a work situation would not surprise me. I would want to know whether anyone had been fired, reprimanded, or passed over for a promotion because of anything to do with Liz.

Here's my profile of the killer:
An overweight, physically unattractive female around Liz's age who is loud, explosive, and vindictive.
Someone whom others avoid challenging because they know that they'll be "in for it."
Someone who has friends only because certain people would rather be allied to her than be on her list of enemies.
Someone who thinks that she's better than other people even though no one else would agree and who comes across as a know-it-all.
Someone who could be described as a "Karen" in modern parlance.

If you can identify someone like that who might have a grudge against Liz—because of jealousy or because of ANY perceived slight, no matter how minor—then you will have the killer, IMO.
Absolutely. Just out if curiosity, what makes you think female? (I believe female, lone shooter) Are you basing that off the video, or victimology?

Absolutely. Just out if curiosity, what makes you think female? (I believe female, lone shooter) Are you basing that off the video, or victimology?
It was my initial thought after watching the video, not just because of the killer's appearance (which could have been disguised) but also because of the behavior and body language.

However, it fits based on victimology, too. Liz seemed to be very popular and well liked—someone that a certain type of woman would resent.

Liz was not sexually assaulted, so I do not see her as a likely target of a male. She doesn't seem like the type who would attract a male stalker.

The vehicle is the stumper. You would think that LE could have made a connection between anyone in Liz's circle and a vehicle like that. It is not a particularly common vehicle.

Liz was not sexually assaulted, so I do not see her as a likely target of a male.

I agree that if sexual assault had occurred, we'd have a strong sense that the attacker was a male.. but I'm not sure the converse is true. the format of the crime would be also be a little unusual for sexual assault; e.g. 94% of sexual assaults don't involve a gun.

Last edited:
If you have a tip, please call Harris County Sheriff's Department information line 346-286-1600.

The reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible is now up to $50,000.00.

If you have a tip, please call the Crime Stoppers of Houston Tip Line - all calls are completely anonymous. Only tips and calls DIRECTLY TO Crime Stoppers are anonymous and eligible for a cash reward.

+1 (713) 222-TIPS

What gets me is that we have no real idea of motive. This act could be revenge, or a hit or some misguided person. It doesn't take much these days, sadly, and Liz deserved to live a long and happy life. Without DNA, this really comes down to someone dropping a dime. News eyes might help. We need to create a POI "map" and make sure that every road has been traveled down and investigated. This takes big resources, ones that may not be available currently. Somewhere exists a list of every Nissan Frontier like the car that was used in this crime. One person on that list is either directly or indirectly linked to that car (unless it was stolen, and even then there may be a link). I'm wondering if a layman can get their hands on such a report. By using filters based on the description of the perp, etc., that list could be whittled down systematically. Time is not our friend and now, years later, alibis are that much more difficult to verify, but taking this approach could be the most fruitful one. The truck appears to be the most solid evidence-almost everything else is debatable.

What gets me is that we have no real idea of motive. This act could be revenge, or a hit or some misguided person. It doesn't take much these days, sadly, and Liz deserved to live a long and happy life. Without DNA, this really comes down to someone dropping a dime. News eyes might help. We need to create a POI "map" and make sure that every road has been traveled down and investigated. This takes big resources, ones that may not be available currently. Somewhere exists a list of every Nissan Frontier like the car that was used in this crime. One person on that list is either directly or indirectly linked to that car (unless it was stolen, and even then there may be a link). I'm wondering if a layman can get their hands on such a report. By using filters based on the description of the perp, etc., that list could be whittled down systematically. Time is not our friend and now, years later, alibis are that much more difficult to verify, but taking this approach could be the most fruitful one. The truck appears to be the most solid evidence-almost everything else is debatable.
Agreed.
Curious if the truck was chosen because it is an off road type vehicle and shooter planned that they would possibly need to go off road during getaway. According to Arrin Stoner's video this is exactly what the shooter may have done... existed off road to a dirt (off-road) road to reconnect with main road, Kukendahl Rd. Curious if LE checked the area for tire tracks, etc.

timestamp 11:00

Agreed.
Curious if the truck was chosen because it is an off road type vehicle and shooter planned that they would possibly need to go off road during getaway. According to Arrin Stoner's video this is exactly what the shooter may have done... existed off road to a dirt (off-road) road to reconnect with main road, Kukendahl Rd. Curious if LE checked the area for tire tracks, etc.

timestamp 11:00
If you look at street view on google maps, you’ll see an off-road vehicle was not needed. Any vehicle could make that drive.

I think the vehicle was a matter of convenience, it was available and unconnected to the killer.

I think the vehicle was a matter of convenience, it was available and unconnected to the killer.
I’d be interested in your thoughts about “a matter of convenience, and it was available and unconnected to the killer.” Could you elaborate more details about your thoughts, please? I’m not understanding/clear on what you’re trying to convey. TIA

I’d be interested in your thoughts about “a matter of convenience, and it was available and unconnected to the killer.” Could you elaborate more details about your thoughts, please? I’m not understanding/clear on what you’re trying to convey. TIA
I think the killer had access to vehicles or a vehicle that they “borrowed” while the owner was unaware, the killer simply returned the vehicle by 8am and the owner of the vehicle had no idea and no connection to the murder.

Hypothetically, let’s say the killer is someone with motive who works at a dealership, auto repair shop, etc and just drove a customers vehicle to kill Liz, then just went to work and no one ever noticed the vehicle was gone. Customer arrives early morning to pick up their truck none the wiser. Co workers don’t know Liz and have no reason to suspect anyone they work with of killing her so they never report they had that vehicle in their shop that week.

I think the killer had access to vehicles or a vehicle that they “borrowed” while the owner was unaware, the killer simply returned the vehicle by 8am and the owner of the vehicle had no idea and no connection to the murder.

Hypothetically, let’s say the killer is someone with motive who works at a dealership, auto repair shop, etc and just drove a customers vehicle to kill Liz, then just went to work and no one ever noticed the vehicle was gone. Customer arrives early morning to pick up their truck none the wiser. Co workers don’t know Liz and have no reason to suspect anyone they work with of killing her so they never report they had that vehicle in their shop that week.
I was on jury duty for vehicle theft. The guy worked at a mechanic shop and took a customer's car to see his girlfriend 30 miles away. He wrecked it, left it, and denied involvement. Something like that seems more likely than LE not being able to track down that truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Watercolor611