TX TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am NOT seing an elaborate costume either especially with how grainy that video footage is. I hope the police have better footage than we do. Does anyone know why several articles have mentioned a possibility of a wig, or a face mask?
Honestly,

In many cases with CCTV footage, people see a lot of things that aren't there and/or have their imaginations run a little astray.

For instance, Kenyetta Jenkins tragically died after being heavily intoxicated, abandoned by her so-called "friend" and accidentally locking herself in a freezer. She wandered around a hotel for quite some time, and there is not shortage of people will try really hard to convince you that there was a person hiding around the corners on the footage directing her where to go.

That is really weird to me too, unless she invited her friends and they were planning to drop by, but don't most people work on a Friday? I'm curious if there was a holiday that day.

Honestly,

In many cases with CCTV footage, people see a lot of things that aren't there and/or have their imaginations run a little astray.

For instance, Kenyetta Jenkins tragically died after being heavily intoxicated, abandoned by her so-called "friend" and accidentally locking herself in a freezer. She wandered around a hotel for quite some time, and there is not shortage of people will try really hard to convince you that there was a person hiding around the corners on the footage directing her where to go.

I believe you, it's easy to see things in pixeled security pareidolia camera footage. My wish is for all cameras to start filming in HD!

Although it's possible, wouldn't it be more sensible to wait til the afternoon?
I am not a pro or seasoned GARAGE SALES person maybe someone on here is...
I lived in sugar land TX (right outside Houston) for most of my life and we constantly had garage sales. Even if we didn’t put signs up early it was always a great turn out from 6-7am till noon and we always held them on Fridays and Saturdays or even Saturday Sundays. Most garage sales typically do start early Friday mornings and typically in that area you always have a pretty good turn out. We’d almost always have people already waiting at like 6:30am when setting up. I don’t think it’s really that odd that she didn’t do any promotions for the sale because in those areas people often just drive around early those mornings looking for garage sales.

I lived in sugar land TX (right outside Houston) for most of my life and we constantly had garage sales. Even if we didn’t put signs up early it was always a great turn out from 6-7am till noon and we always held them on Fridays and Saturdays or even Saturday Sundays. Most garage sales typically do start early Friday mornings and typically in that area you always have a pretty good turn out. We’d almost always have people already waiting at like 6:30am when setting up. I don’t think it’s really that odd that she didn’t do any promotions for the sale because in those areas people often just drive around early those mornings looking for garage sales.
I'm in So Cal and it's the same here. People just drive around looking for sales because you can ALWAYS find some. There isn't a big need to advertise. It's pretty much just expected that you'll come across one fairly quickly and it's definitely not uncommon to see them early in the morning.

Thank you for this perspective. Good to know.

So I was wondering if SB was still involved in the cosplay and the Legion. I decided to check out his FB page and it appears he rarely posts but he does have posts since EB's death featuring Star Wars. I don't blame this guy for not being on the page much though. One of his posts has almost a dozen comments accusing him of hiring a person to kill her. We have many cases on here where a wife or gf is murdered or missing and it is obvious from LE's actions or comments they have POI in mind. But we're not hearing that in this case, so I have a hard time pointing a finger at SB.

There are shockingly crazy people. One always wonders if the killer is among those posting/accusing, but in general, the amount of hate spilled out makes one scared.

ok, so Friday mornings at 6-7 am is not that weird. OK, thank you! I had no idea I only noticed signs for SAT/SUN, but now I will pay more attention.

Another thing, the shooter can still be a him. A cross-dresser? I am still 50/50.

If it is her, is someone pretending to be proselytizing? Any modest clothes and a hat would fit. I see a lot of them out recently. They usually come in pairs and on Saturdays or Sundays, but a person might "borrow" the outfit. What I want to say, if I were selling anything, anywhere, the only group I'd be 1) not apprehensive of in terms of sales 2) not trying to be super welcoming, and this is the body response I am seeing from Liz, would be someone posing as a "church visit". I don't assume it is religion-related, there are crazies everywhere, but also, prozelityzing allows for several repetitive visits, to know about the ring camera, etc.

Snipped and bolded by me:

Bob: On day of garage sale, Liz set the alarm in the house, leave the door from the garage into the house unlocked. I can only say this was in case she needed a quick retreat, but she knew she could get to the door, pop it open and the alarm would instantly have that safety.

Rosemary: This was possibly third garage sale at Cedar Walk home.

Bob: They were burglarized in their apartment prior to buying their home, traumatic experience and Liz felt safe in new (2016 purchased) home.

This has always stood out to me that she set her alarm before going outside. If she felt safe in her new home/neighborhood why would she do this. PTSD maybe..........but it really makes me wonder if she had felt threatened in some way within the last month or two and this is why. Especially because as the article goes on, it says she wouldn't have made a large sum of money even if she sold everything.

It just seems weird, of all of the times to set the house alarm, during a garage sale when you will be going in and out constantly isn't one of them.

We don't even know the circumstances of the first burglary. Could be a robbery, could be the same person.

I believe that LE know who killed Liz, but can't link killer with vehicle. They need that one tip. Speculation on my part - Nothing to base this on and is definitely not fact. moo

I am probably wrong.

Or they may not link the vehicle to the specific vehicle. It is possible to rent a vehicle, replace the number for the old one, drive, kill, return back, change the number again, return it.
So essentially, all people know is that a certain type of car might have been rented out.

It was not S. Either a hit (likely mistaken identity if that’s the case) or some disturbed maniac. IMO it’s a man in a disguise. And he/she saw the sale sign, scoped out the house and came back to kill. They intended to leave on Sunday for their honeymoon so it makes sense she tried to extend the sale by starting on Friday.

Links from the Who Killed Liz Barraza, which is Liz's parents' website for anyone you may be interested in learning more about Liz's case.

Information Sites Heavy.com - Elizabeth Barraza: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

There's been many podcasts done about Liz's case which is absolutely wonderful. I've listened to most all of them. However, these three are exceptionally well done, imo.

Podcasts
  1. 09/02/2023 Mike Morford - Murder in my Family Podcast #139 Part 1 of 2
  2. 09/16/2023 Mike Morford - Murder in my Family Podcast #140 Part 2 of 2
  3. 07/16/2023 Criminology Mike Morford & Mike Ferguson - Elizabeth Barraza

In addition, you may also find this one on YT:

10/30/2022 - On the Case with Paula Zahn - A Fairy Tale Ruined (Discover ID) NOTE you may need to link to your cable provider.

@lonewanderer you won me over with your compelling photographic evidence of a "run out" and logic.

You reminded me of my own habitual "run outs" taking kids to early morning practices: pajama shorts, a wrinkled and loosley buttoned collared shirt. Barefoot, but with shoes, but- no socks in the car.

I am thinking that a run out perpetrator would come from two general sources:

A. Local, with in the neighborhood
B. Non local, outside the neighborhood.

I am thinking that non local is more likely. A neighborhood perpetrator would probably feature: A build up of some sort ("Barb confronts / "advises" victim earlier), Barb has a history of calling in complaints to police, is known either directly, or indirectly as being aggressive, goes on "patrols" etc. Barb is recognized, or, aspects of the behavior are recognized.

I think your scenario of a "run out" works perfectly:

Its "o'dark:30". "Barb", as usual, is nose deep in reviewing intricate social media exchanges. The dots have been connected and its irrefutable that Liz is the source of the slander, accusation, misinformation, rejection etc.

"Barb" has already played with the idea of revenge before. She has a pretty good idea where Liz lives via a previous search on "cool" people finding sites. Now, its time to act.

Barb dresses for a "run out", tells her current significant other that she needs certain uhmmm "purchases"- now. She grabs his truck keys. Barb is not even sure what she is going to do. Knock and confront her with the "evidence"? The garage sale is a coincidence and a big "opportunity". Barb then murders the victim and slightly baubles her escape.

Last edited:
Objectively, I share your sentiments. I have limited on again, off again contact with another intensive, adult nerd hobby (War Hammer game with associated miniature painting. Others paint historical metal soldiers, play historical war game etc).

As you implied.... People whose social skills could use some uhmm...."enhancement"? We have those. People for whom the hobby is their sole consuming interest? Yes, they are there. Plain olde weirdos? Not unheard of- at all.

As you stated.... The group is nerdy but passive. None appear to have aggressive tendencies. They also accept all who have an interest in some aspect of their hobby.

I have seen an elderly religious conservative, a gender fluid person, and a guy whose T shirt implied that women are barbarian pillage prizes (wonders why he does not get second dates?) in the same small room.

Subjectively, however, I think there are some aspects of 501 Legion cosplay that could increase the chance of an unhinged participant:

- A former cosplay participant in a different genre stated that a when cosplayers get in deep, they get in very deep. A noticeable minority derived all their self respect, social status, friends, and even chosen family from cosplay.

- Dollar Cost. 501 Legion cosplay is expensive with the need for movie set costumes. If 501 legion ceases to "work" for somebody, they can be out what, thousands of dollars? And.... also out the prestige of being a member in the apex group. Other groups are out there, but are just not the same.

Could SB and EB have been a "power couple" within their small community? It would seem to me that EB would score at least moderately on socialability, if not high. A huge plus in such communities, and one wonders if the couple's good status was due to wife's attempts.

I can easily remember many single women thinking they could substitute Liz in this role, especially the ones that were not as well-liked. Deluding themselves, even.

The murder might have had no solid rationale, as there was no true interest from SB, but the person used to daydream, "if only she were not there". (Not realizing that if widowed, SB would remarry a woman emotionally similar to Liz). In fact, SB might still be unaware of someone's prior interest.

I can only surmise but if the killer had any romantic interest, she is introverted and doesn't stand out. Really flies under all radars because her initial expectation was delusional.

The only giveaway in such cases might be frequesnt complaints on SM along the line of "what's happening to people, such-and-such, we had such interesting conversations, I really thought it was a wonderful friendship and she didn't even invite me to a b-day party, what happened?" Complaints of being misunderstood and snubbed by people, but of a general type, almost like a cry for help. But, I bet, lots of people post such stuff.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

ok, so Friday mornings at 6-7 am is not that weird. OK, thank you! I had no idea I only noticed signs for SAT/SUN, but now I will pay more attention.
Of course! Id notice the Friday crowd tended to be stay at home moms shopping for their kids and the Saturday crowd tends to be more mixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member