TX TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The longer this drags on, the more I am feeling shades of Jayme Closs. By that, I mean that it was an attack targeted at Liz, but in the sense that it was carried out by some demented individual who had no true connection to her, instead having come across her in passing- coffee shop, picking up the mail, whatever mundane thing. The creature- I no longer type its name- who kidnapped Jayme had absolutely no connection to her other than in his mind, so there was no connection for police to be able to make. Jayme was able to rescue herself, which IMO is the only reason we ever found out what had happened- there was just nothing FOR LE to put together. Since Liz obviously cannot speak for herself, it is going to be a lot harder, nigh impossible, for LE to assemble any puzzle pieces if I'm right. IMO MOO
Interesting take, but then again, how did they know about the garage sale if they were someone outside Liz's circle? Did they get lucky and see the signs the night before?

The killer was wearing some kind of disguise to cover their identity and they went so far that nobody is even sure if they are male or female. So it seems unlikely that they would take the risk and just ring the doorbell.
If I am predictably caught on surveillance video any way (and have to wear a disguise), why do I as the killer have to wait for the opportunity of a garage sale at all? Am I that concerned about any building parts, that might get some bullet holes??

I had a 2.5 hour conversation over the weekend with Liz's parents. They seem like very wonderful people committed to seeing their daughter's killer brought to justice. The call was productive and enlightening.
They wanted to clarify a couple things that are out there in the public realm

1- There has been discussion as to whether or not Liz called out of work sick for the garage sale, or had requested the day off before hand. Liz's parents clarified, she took the day off in advance to ensure that the wheels of the company wouldn't stop turning in her absence. She took her role there very seriously.

2-It's been reported in some sources that Liz held sort of an annual garage sale before vacations, almost like this was an annual event. Liz's parents said that is not accurate, that she had had maybe one garage sale previously. They also told me that garage sales in Houston is a very busy and lucrative business w/ sellers & buyers being extremely active which is why Liz had it so early in the morning as to not miss the people who would be out and about. They also verified that the garage sale signs DID go up the night before, and that there were no social media posts by Liz about the sale. They also added that they didn't think Liz would have told a lot of friends about the sale because she didn't think her friends would be interested in buying anything she had to sell
I’m a few pages behind, but S said that they do an annual garage sale before their trips to help pay for it…. Interesting

Only my opinion

Elizabeth was targeted. It was not a random kill. I fret over the similar truck that police stopped then released. Every tiny detail is important until it's not.

When considering the item the killer holds out for Elizabeth to see, it must have been very important to hold off from shooting her until she's seen whatever it is. Someone suggested it may be a cellphone.

I wondered if maybe the cellphone was displaying a Venmo payment. You can use a preloaded debit card to make Venmo payments to and from burner phones.

The screen Liz would be shown would display whomever wanted her dead and how much they paid to have it done. The killer says to Liz: "They got you, ----." * * *Total speculation as we don't know precisely what the killer said when at the table facing Liz.* * *

Below is a SS of an AI generated Venmo transaction statement and not how a single transaction would appear when using the app on your phone.

Screenshots of the App can be found here ‎Venmo

Screenshot 2023-09-03 2.39.15 AM.png

I’m a few pages behind, but S said that they do an annual garage sale before their trips to help pay for it…. Interesting
I feel a bit like we’re going ‘round and ‘round in circles here. The parents have recently contradicted the “annual sale” bit (see a few pages back) and we simply don’t know if the killer was in disguise. Some think yes, many think no.

Sans anything concrete in another direction, I always keep in mind that most women are killed, directly or indirectly, by a man they know. It’s entirely possible that Liz was killed by a jealous, vengeful, etc., female, but we don have much, if anything, to go on there (or anywhere else, as I mentioned.)

I think LE really needs to start putting the screws to anyone and everyone around her to see what may come of it. 99% chance this killer was in Liz’s social orbit, IMO.

Only my opinion

Elizabeth was targeted. It was not a random kill. I fret over the similar truck that police stopped then released. Every tiny detail is important until it's not.

When considering the item the killer holds out for Elizabeth to see, it must have been very important to hold off from shooting her until she's seen whatever it is. Someone suggested it may be a cellphone.

I wondered if maybe the cellphone was displaying a Venmo payment. You can use a preloaded debit card to make Venmo payments to and from burner phones.

The screen Liz would be shown would display whomever wanted her dead and how much they paid to have it done. The killer says to Liz: "They got you, ----." * * *Total speculation as we don't know precisely what the killer said when at the table facing Liz.* * *

Below is a SS of an AI generated Venmo transaction statement and not how a single transaction would appear when using the app on your phone.

Screenshots of the App can be found here ‎Venmo

View attachment 444524
The problem that I have with this is that the killer didn’t give Liz time to see and comprehend what was on the screen/paper. Unless the paper had one, large word written on it or something. Even then, though, out of the blue, she’d still have to physically turn her head toward it, focus her eyes on it, then comprehend it. I just don’t see that. As soon as she moved toward the outstretched arm, the killer shot her. It looked to me much more like a killer who was trying to get a good shot. The motion of showing her something serves to get her to present her full front torso, or target area, to the killer. Instead of presenting more of an oblique angle, she’s actually “lining herself up” as a broad, easy target.

Posted this theory on Reddit but I'd like to post it here too:

To me, it's clear Liz was targeted, it was NOT random. For what, and by whom, I couldn't tell you.

Someone somehow knew that Sergio would be leaving around a certain time that morning and knew that they could strike very soon after he did. How they knew that I think is one of the big clues to this case. To me, this is likely someone close enough to know about the garage sale and what time it would be starting.
At the same time. Another scenario, what if the killer didn't know about the garage sale. What if they would have gone there planning to knock on the front door and would have shot Liz as soon as she answered, and instead found her outside setting up for the sale. I think this is less likely because Liz was safety conscious, and probably wouldn't have opened the door for someone suspicious, not to mention, they would have had to walk up to the porch right in front of the camera (assuming that they knew about the camera), so this again brings me back to the garage sale. Two possibilities here- 1) someone knew about the pending garage sale thru Liz or Sergio directly or 2) They happened to see the sign from the night before and decided to take advantage of it, which still wouldn't explain how they knew Sergio would be leaving at the time he did, so to me, this is someone that knew of the garage sale directly thru Liz and Sergio. They didn't post about the garage sale on social media, so that can be ruled out. If you gather a list of everyone who had advance knowledge of the sale, the killer is either one of those people, or was given the details by one of those people (whether or not they knew or didn't know what they planned to do to Liz. It could have been someone who casually mentioned it to someone else and inadvertently set the wheels in motion)

So, Compile a list of people that had knowledge of both the garage sale happening & Sergio's schedule, and the killer is going to be associated with that list.

I forget, what time did Liz typically leave for work? If she was normally gone by 7am, then that implies even more knowledge, that the person didn't randomly choose that day when Liz happened to be off and by some lucky break catch Liz outside. Furthermore, Liz got the day off in advance, so co-workers could be suspect if they knew about the garage sale and Liz saying "hey I won't be in Friday because I am having a garage sale" but then again, a co-worker being the killer would also have to know Sergio's schedule.
Compile a list of people that had knowledge of both the garage sale happening & Sergio's schedule

In no particular order:

Elizabeth and Sergio
Elizabeth's parents
Sergio's mother and father who was also Sergio's boss

Troubling.

True, and the disguise could also be in case they were caught by surveillance and not to fool Liz about their identity.
Along those lines, if the killer went to those extremes to hide their identity from surveillance, would they risk driving their own truck to the crime scene? Probably not. I am willing to bet that the truck they drove was either rented, borrowed, or stolen.
An Assistant Professor of Criminology at UoWashington was arrested for the 2022 quadruple homicides in ID after he allegedly drove past the target home four times prior to stopping to park so he could enter the back sliding door. He was driving his own vehicle, an Elantra.

The alleged killer in the Delphi double homicide of Abby and Libby drove his own vehicle to the CS.

Titans are apparently easy for crooks to steal and the year models 2016 - 2018 are the most frequently stolen vehicles
The most likely to be stolen cars in America - Hagerty Media

Compile a list of people that had knowledge of both the garage sale happening & Sergio's schedule

In no particular order:

Elizabeth and Sergio
Elizabeth's parents
Sergio's mother and father who was also Sergio's boss

Troubling.
Plus maybe some work colleagues of Liz, because she had a day off and would have explained, why.

Plus someone, who had known about their Disney trip, because the person could have known also about the garage sale.

Plus maybe siblings, if SB has some (Idk).

I feel a bit like we’re going ‘round and ‘round in circles here. The parents have recently contradicted the “annual sale” bit (see a few pages back) and we simply don’t know if the killer was in disguise. Some think yes, many think no.

Sans anything concrete in another direction, I always keep in mind that most women are killed, directly or indirectly, by a man they know. It’s entirely possible that Liz was killed by a jealous, vengeful, etc., female, but we don have much, if anything, to go on there (or anywhere else, as I mentioned.)

I think LE really needs to start putting the screws to anyone and everyone around her to see what may come of it. 99% chance this killer was in Liz instead of ’s social orbit, IMO.
Apropos the disguise: Wouldn't it have been wise, to cover my long blond mane of hair, if I were indeed a woman and the hair were my own? And wouldn't it have been more practical to wear trousers instead of a flowing dress (you would avoid getting your dress caught in the driver's door, when escaping)?

Apropos the disguise: Wouldn't it have been wise, to cover my long blond mane of hair, if I were indeed a woman and the hair were my own? And wouldn't it have been more practical to wear trousers instead of a flowing dress (you would avoid getting your dress caught in the driver's door, when escaping)?
Yes, but who knows what cosplay this represented. Perhaps some avenging warrior princess for all we know

Amateur opinion and speculation

Yes, but who knows what cosplay this represented. Perhaps some avenging warrior princess for all we know

Amateur opinion and speculation
Quoting my own post! Like Lady Galadriel? (Attached image is from link)

Attachments

• Lady G.png
    Lady G.png
    413.4 KB · Views: 18
The killer was wearing some kind of disguise to cover their identity and they went so far that nobody is even sure if they are male or female. So it seems unlikely that they would take the risk and just ring the doorbell.

I don't think it was a disguise.

I think the shooter is a was a woman around Liz's age dressed for an early morning activity such as walking the dog. The robe, the hair, and Uggs style boots looks says that to me.

When asked in the latest interview who knew about the garage sale, S replied that some of her co-workers, himself , her parents, and he thinks his mother excluding his father ..
It seems contradictory to me that one day he blames his father of the murder and throws him under the bus , yet another day he distances the dad saying the father didn’t even know about the garage sale. Imo he is well aware of the importance of the garage sale and he deliberately decided to protect his father . I wonder why ? What has changed ? Jmo

In no particular order:

Elizabeth and Sergio
Elizabeth's parents, verified by SB
Sergio's mother, verified by SB, and father (who was also Sergio's boss)
Elizabeth's work colleagues, verified by SB

People who knew about the Disney Trip, potentially
Siblings, potentially

Sergio said he believes only a few people knew about the garage sale.
“The only people that I know knew about the garage sale was some of her co-workers, myself, her parents and I think my mom," he said.
He said they put up a couple of signs the night before.
“We placed signs the night before. We placed two signs -- one at the entrance to our neighborhood and one just down the road at Hufsmith Kuykendahl," Sergio said.
https://www.khou.com/article/news/investigations/missing-pieces/elizabeth-barraza-murder-sergio-barraza-interview-2023/285-b54859e2-f54b-424c-b513-5ca179c895e1
Plus maybe some work colleagues of Liz, because she had a day off and would have explained, why.

Plus someone, who had known about their Disney trip, because the person could have known also about the garage sale.

Plus maybe siblings, if SB has some (Idk). I don't know either!
Thank you!
When asked in the latest interview who knew about the garage sale, S replied that some of her co-workers, himself , her parents, and he thinks his mother excluding his father ..
It seems contradictory to me that one day he blames his father of the murder and throws him under the bus , yet another day he distances the dad saying the father didn’t even know about the garage sale. Imo he is well aware of the importance of the garage sale and he deliberately decided to protect his father . I wonder why ? What has changed ? Jmo
Thank you! My common sense says that his dad was aware of the garage sale. jmo

Quoting my own post! Like Lady Galadriel? (Attached image is from link)
You're good at this! There's a costume for Lady Galadriel that's a white robe! I suppose she traded in her sword for a firearm although I don't know why.

You're good at this! There's a costume for Lady Galadriel that's a white robe! I suppose she traded in her sword for a firearm although I don't know why.

I think there is a several female characters from sci-fi that wear similar robes as the shooter. LOTR, Star Wars, and Harry Potter all come to mind immediately.

I think it’s just the shooters typical style, and not a costume or disguise.

Well, if we're considering who knew about the garage sale and who they told we have one avenue we can't pursue. That is Elizabeth herself. She could have inadvertently told someone unknown to family, friends or LE, and that person mentioned it to the killer. Some body at a store or a customer/client where she worked, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sumzoe24