TX TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris Co, Jan 2019 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I think about it, with as brazen as the crime seems to be and knowing how loud that gun was, it really seems like the motive was very personal to take the chances the killer took. Yet with a motive that seems very personal no one has been able to figure out what the motive was.

Elizabeth Barraza got her degree in psychology. That makes the motive for her murder all the more ironic. Maybe she did some research for a paper and came across someone who came back to murder her?

As for evidence, I only hear two things clearly on the doorbell surveillance video. I hear Elizabeth Barraza say "Good Morning" or "Morning" at 1:13 in the video below, and I hear her scream when the first shot is fired. That is all I hear. I do not even hear Elizabeth Barraza even say another word or even hear the sound of her high-pitched female voice again, even if I cannot make out what she said. The neighbor was very quick acting to be able to get a description of the Nissan Frontier Pro-4X as it was leaving the scene just 17 seconds after the last shot was fired. I do not think the killer knew anything about the doorbell surveillance camera because how could they be sure at that time that their voice would not be picked up by it even if they could try to ensure that their image was not picked up by it?

Did the cops specifically say that?

I ask because there has been some details in this case that seem more like someones observation/opinion.

For instance, I have read in some articles that the killer was holding and old man mask, that they passed Liz a note, or that a man's voice is heard on the ring doorbell audio.

I don't know where the mask thing came from, its really hard to see what the shooter extends in their left hand to Liz, and I don't personally hear any audio on the doorbell camera that sounds like a man.

Our sight and hearing can deceive us at times, and be different from person to person. Just think, the "what color is the dress" meme or "do you hear yanny or laurel" audio clips.

I also think people online run with things in strange directions sometimes. For instance, "the plane lady" with "that (mfer) is NOT real!" never said she saw anything in particular, but a large portion of the comments asked "what did she see!?!" "I want to know what she saw!".

I did read it early on in media articles.
One example reported in the MSM:

"On January 25, 2019, 29-year-old Elizabeth Barraza was setting up a garage sale at her home at 8623 Cedarwalk Drive in Tomball.

Our first lead detective, Mike Richey, confessed to us, he felt like this was going to be solved in a couple of days. That he had the murder on tape," Bob Nuelle said.
Surveillance video captures a Nissan Frontier 4-door truck pull up.

That's when a person wearing go-go boots, a moo-moo dress, and a wig walks up to Barraza.

After she says good morning, the person fires four shots.

"29-year-old executed while setting up garage sale at her Tomball home, case remains unsolved 4 years later

When re-looking at the timeline of her name searches on google, I wonder if something noteworthy happened in Liz's life in the first week of August 2018, half a year before her murder. While the main increase is in December and January (and I think that one lines up quite well and might be connected to the crime), there is also that first "higher" period that starts on the week of 5-11th of August. If she posted anything public or attended any noteworthy events or was in any other way "(re-/)discoverable" in early August, I'd be interested to see where these dots could connect to.

Of course, there are also other people with the same name and the searches might be related to someone else.

I also still wonder if the killer was a male or a female. When I only look at the images, I lean heavily towards a woman. When I listen to the audio, I lean towards a male. I don't think Liz appears to recognize this person initially. She might, later, though. The killing feels personal to me, I think the shooter was the person that wanted her dead. So someone Liz would not expect in the context of an early morning garage sale in Tomball, stepping out of a black truck?

MOO

Can you look at the timeline of the google searches of her address? Her employer?

When re-looking at the timeline of her name searches on google, I wonder if something noteworthy happened in Liz's life in the first week of August 2018, half a year before her murder. While the main increase is in December and January (and I think that one lines up quite well and might be connected to the crime), there is also that first "higher" period that starts on the week of 5-11th of August. If she posted anything public or attended any noteworthy events or was in any other way "(re-/)discoverable" in early August, I'd be interested to see where these dots could connect to.

Can you look at the timeline of the google searches of her address? Her employer?

I am having trust issues now, as the results have changed!
Now it shows 0 for Aug 5-11 and 0 for the following week, too.

This is, for lack of a better word, bizarre! I am cursing myself that I did not take a screenshot of the previous results - but I promise, I did not make it up. I triple checked it when originally posting, because we don't write the dates in the US format over here and I was afraid of messing stuff up. Additionally, all the numbers are smaller at the moment. These are not the same results I saw previously. Can anyone confirm that observation?

But going with current data. As for her address, it says "too few results, can not display".
Funnily enough, when checking just her house number, the highest number of searches is... Aug 5-11th! Kinda speechless atm. Will follow up on that.*

As for "cedar walk", the highest number is Jan 20-26 (this includes post-crime, so will try to look at that separately in a minute), the following dates all have ~50 searches: April 8-14, May 6-12, May 20-26, June 24-30, Aug 26 - Sept 1st, 30 Sept - 6 Oct. Seems like random noise to me. After all, way more people will be searching the street.
When looking at a shorter period to see results for individual days, nothing stands out for "Cedar walk" (well, 0 on the 24th).

As for her house number, the days with most searches are May 30, May 31, June 2, June 21, June 25, July 26, Aug 1, Aug 7, Aug 14, Sept 7, Oct 17, Oct 25, Nov 4, Nov 30.
As for her name, most searches for "Elizabeth Barraza" are on June 7 (44), Nov 9 (73), Nov 19 (41), Dec 8 (40).
There are a few cases where the searches are quite high two days in a row: Aug 2-3 (30,28), Nov 24-25 (24,22).
Most searches for "Liz Barraza" are on June 12 (100), Sept 27 (94), Nov 3 (72), Dec 12 (60) and Jan 13 (71).
Most searches for "Sergio Barraza" are on June 6 (68), Aug 11 (91), Aug 21 (59), Sept 16 (63), Dec 25 (100), Jan 26 (63).
It does not give results for "Elizabeth Marie Barraza", "Elizabeth Marie Nuelle", "Elizabeth Nuelle" or "Liz Nuelle".

* Did follow up. Generally, I think this tool is too unreliable and I cannot see a pattern in these searches alltogether. However, I am intrigued by the very large change in the results I observed. I added images of searching her house number ~30 min apart - oddly enough, the numbers have changed!

Edit: adding a respective link: Google Trends data drastically different each day - Google Ads Community

Attachments

• 8623 searches 30 min later (94).png
    8623 searches 30 min later (94).png
    49.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 8623 searches.png
    8623 searches.png
    59.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I am having trust issues now, as the results have changed!
Now it shows 0 for Aug 5-11 and 0 for the following week, too.

This is, for lack of a better word, bizarre! I am cursing myself that I did not take a screenshot of the previous results - but I promise, I did not make it up. I triple checked it when originally posting, because we don't write the dates in the US format over here and I was afraid of messing stuff up. Additionally, all the numbers are smaller at the moment. These are not the same results I saw previously. Can anyone confirm that observation?

But going with current data. As for her address, it says "too few results, can not display".
Funnily enough, when checking just her house number, the highest number of searches is... Aug 5-11th! Kinda speechless atm. Will follow up on that.*

As for "cedar walk", the highest number is Jan 20-26 (this includes post-crime, so will try to look at that separately in a minute), the following dates all have ~50 searches: April 8-14, May 6-12, May 20-26, June 24-30, Aug 26 - Sept 1st, 30 Sept - 6 Oct. Seems like random noise to me. After all, way more people will be searching the street.
When looking at a shorter period to see results for individual days, nothing stands out for "Cedar walk" (well, 0 on the 24th).

As for her house number, the days with most searches are May 30, May 31, June 2, June 21, June 25, July 26, Aug 1, Aug 7, Aug 14, Sept 7, Oct 17, Oct 25, Nov 4, Nov 30.
As for her name, most searches for "Elizabeth Barraza" are on June 7 (44), Nov 9 (73), Nov 19 (41), Dec 8 (40).
There are a few cases where the searches are quite high two days in a row: Aug 2-3 (30,28), Nov 24-25 (24,22).
Most searches for "Liz Barraza" are on June 12 (100), Sept 27 (94), Nov 3 (72), Dec 12 (60) and Jan 13 (71).
Most searches for "Sergio Barraza" are on June 6 (68), Aug 11 (91), Aug 21 (59), Sept 16 (63), Dec 25 (100), Jan 26 (63).
It does not give results for "Elizabeth Marie Barraza", "Elizabeth Marie Nuelle", "Elizabeth Nuelle" or "Liz Nuelle".

* Did follow up. Generally, I think this tool is too unreliable and I cannot see a pattern in these searches alltogether. However, I am intrigued by the very large change in the results I observed. I added images of searching her house number ~30 min apart - oddly enough, the numbers have changed!

Edit: adding a respective link: Google Trends data drastically different each day - Google Ads Community
Thank you for your research!! I wasn’t sure I was doing it correctly as when searching names of people I know, I wasn’t getting any hits.

I absolutely believe you and your initial results as I saw them myself when I clicked on the link yesterday. What a bummer that the results change and are unreliable but still - major kudos to you! What a great find and great thought process.

dressed up clown killer? wait, what?!!!
ohhh yeah. that one's a doozy. google mistress killer clown murder. or youtube it.
The driving around after the murder is so strange, especially the part about Sandusky Drive.

After the murder, this person decided to turn around to drive back past the Barraza's house, supposedly to make sure Elizabeth Barraza was dead. They do not seem to slow down much. Then they keep going all the way down Sandusky Drive passing another home surveillance camera at the corner they were supposed to turn left at to get back to Kuykendahl Road.

Instead though, this person in the truck got to the cul-de-sac at the end of Sandusky Drive and decided to go off-road into the grass. Even though they could not find their way out of the subdivision on the road, they somehow got lucky and were able to drive through grass and then merge back onto Kuykendahl Road. How they knew this exit point, but not a regular road is strange.

At the time the crime happened, even if they got to a dead end cul-de-sac, it would have been much smarter to just turn around to go back to the road you missed. Going off road into a neighbor's back yard is certainly going to be way more suspicious, in my opinion.

Even the motives behind the driving are strange, especially when you consider the Nissan Frontier Pro-4X truck was in the area hours earlier driving around the subdivision. Whoever it was, this person seems like they have a very unique way of looking at things.

In a picture, it looks like Elizabeth Barraza has a dog leash for walking the dog. What if she did not have a bag to pick up dog waste and some neighbor got angry at her. I know it sounds incredible to theorize that someone would commit murder over something like that, but with the way this person acts during the commission of the crime I have come to the conclusion that the murderer knows they are getting rid of the Nissan Frontier Pro-4X and wants to be seen by others for some reason.

I think the reason someone would want it to appear this way to others is because it makes it look like the murderer is a stranger not familiar with the Tomball neighborhood where Elizabeth Barraza lived.
Maybe their adrenaline was pumping so hard they weren't thinking straight?
Even if this was a hired hit like Robert thinks, hired hitmen aren't always geniuses, as we discussed

ohhh yeah. that one's a doozy. google mistress killer clown murder. or youtube it.

Maybe their adrenaline was pumping so hard they weren't thinking straight?
Even if this was a hired hit like Robert thinks, hired hitmen aren't always geniuses, as we discussed

I did how crazy of a case! And there's no way the widowed husband wasn't aware his new wife killed his first wife.
Just watch FARGO and you'll get a good idea of how stupid criminals can act, or any crime documentary they always make mistakes.

It crossed my mind she may have an insane neighbor who took umbrage with EB over breaking a rule.
The neighbor isn't mentally stable is a control freak and doesn't like garage sales.
Possible, and sadly, such incidents have occurred. But, I think there are some aspects that may lessen that possibility in this case:

- No apparent evidence of a build up (Neighborhood Nutty Nancy is known to tear down garage sale signs, "advise" people that garage sales are not worth it, call police of real and suspected garage sale ordinance violations).

- The travel pattern prior to and after the murder suggested the need to scout the target and also suggested that the perhaps the killer had trouble leaving the neighborhood. A neighborhood nut would not need to do either one.

- The victim was not say, tossing fuel on a neighborhood nut's fire by say running a second hand store in a residential area under the guise having large garage sales every week (my urban 'burb just cracked down on those).

In the end, and not to demean your possibility, I think a local impulse rage perpetrator would have either been directly recognized, or recognized via the behavior / circumstances.

Possible, and sadly, such incidents have occurred. But, I think there are some aspects that may lessen that possibility in this case:

- No apparent evidence of a build up (Neighborhood Nutty Nancy is known to tear down garage sale signs, "advise" people that garage sales are not worth it, call police of real and suspected garage sale ordinance violations).

- The travel pattern prior to and after the murder suggested the need to scout the target and also suggested that the perhaps the killer had trouble leaving the neighborhood. A neighborhood nut would not need to do either one.

- The victim was not say, tossing fuel on a neighborhood nut's fire by say running a second hand store in a residential area under the guise having large garage sales every week (my urban 'burb just cracked down on those).

In the end, and not to demean your possibility, I think a local impulse rage perpetrator would have either been directly recognized, or recognized via the behavior / circumstances.

You'd think there would be some incidents of building up to this moment. Nasty notes left, nasty messages via NextDoor or email, right?
I'm grasping at straws because my first theory involves a close relationship, but that seems to NOT be the case...so looking to search for any other possibilities of why she would have been targeted, besides the possibility it was the WRONG address or someone strung out on drugs or having a psychotic break from reality thought she was a demon...something that makes ZERO logical sense to anyone sane.
My first suspicion is a close relationship. It's personal versus a random stranger. The longer the case remains unsolved they either suspect someone but cannot prove it (yet) or it is a completely random crime.

I don't post much anymore, but i have followed Elizabeth Barraza's case all along waiting to see an arrest. My heart goes out to her parents. It's so hard to believe this happened 5 years ago this month. I appreciate the members posts & comments & input.

Still waiting for justice.

I don't post much anymore, but i have followed Elizabeth Barraza's case all along waiting to see an arrest. My heart goes out to her parents. It's so hard to believe this happened 5 years ago this month. I appreciate the members posts & comments & input.

Still waiting for justice.

What's strange about this case is the neighborhood had cameras but NOT one could READ the license plate. Maybe we need better cameras? Or did the shooter disguise the license plate with special reflective tape? any theories? and a school without security cameras strikes me as odd too.

Last edited:
Since the anniversary of this case is coming up, has any criminal profiler analyzed this case yet?
I searched and only found amateur sleuths vs professional criminal profilers.
I did find Pat Brown's podcast/video:

She believes she was TARGETED not a PRO HIT, or done by an amateur hitman.
Pat thought the police should look further into a:
COSPLAY COMMUNITY
OBSESSION
OBSESSIVE
STALKER
NEW WIFE.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's strange about this case is the neighborhood had cameras but NOT one could READ the license plate. Maybe we need better cameras? Or did the shooter disguise the license plate with special reflective tape? any theories? and a school without security cameras strikes me as odd too.
I have no theories that haven't already been posted by you guys.

Sometimes I think the murderer is a small, little man who was maybe a keyboard warrior - type individual who became unhinged by something Elizabeth may have commented on in one of the groups they were both members of.
Sometimes I think it's a woman who was possibly offended or hurt or embarrassed by something Elizabeth may have commented on or agreed with in these groups.

I think quite a bit of thought went into the events leading up to, the murder itself, and what to do afterwards.

I'm not suggesting that Elizabeth online posted or commented on something with a spiteful or ill intent. We all know that we really don't know the people behind screennames and what's going on in their life. Sometimes people take things the wrong way, or some offhand comment set them off.

That being said, I am wrong all the time--- this is all my own thoughts and nothing based on fact.

I feel like this person has zero compassion, empathy or shame --- but they are very worried about what others think about them. Fragile? An unwell person, maybe.

JMOO

If it is indeed a male he may be on the small side...or already owned go-go or disquise their calf-high boots in his size already.
I laughed about the part that men aren't that clever...
unless EB had an enemy who cross-dresses, or is a drag Queen, or already owns costumes it's possible...the likelihood of it being a woman with long hair in flat calf boots with yoga leggings is much more likely.
I am curious why the cops though they were go-go boots and a WIG.
there have been men who robbed banks in a dress and a wig to disguise their identity... common MO

)

1704667017031.png

3 banks robbed by 'Sticky Note Bandit' dressed as woman, FBI ...

1704667017059.png
ABC News
https://abcnews.go.com › story

Jul 16, 2023 — The man allegedly entered Hancock Whitney Bank in Houston on July 5 "dressed as a female, approached a teller, and handed them a threatening ...

1704667017091.png

Man dresses as woman to rob Houston banks

1704667017119.png
KHOU
https://www.khou.com › article › news › local › robbe...

Jul 18, 2023 — July 18: Bank of America at 4301 San Felipe -- the suspect walked into the bank dressed as a woman, waited in line and approached a teller. He ...

1704667017145.png

Man dressed as woman robs BB&T bank in Jacksonville

1704667017176.png
The Florida Times-Union
https://www.jacksonville.com › crime › 2016/09/27

The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office is working to identify a man who posed as a woman and robbed a BB&T bank on Hutchinson Park Drive in the Regency ...

1704667017205.png

Boy disguised as woman during Tampa bank robbery ...

1704667017230.png
WFLA
https://www.wfla.com › news › hillsborough-county

Sep 18, 2023 — (WFLA) — A 17-year-old boy who disguised himself as a married woman to rob a Tampa bank was arrested Wednesday, according to the Hillsborough ...

1704667017257.png

Man who dressed up as a woman to rob banks in Jefferson ...

1704667017288.png
KMOV
https://www.firstalert4.com › 2023/11/09 › man-who-dre...

Nov 9, 2023 — Thomas, 31, of ...

Man dresses up as elderly woman to rob Georgia bank

The Independent
https://www.the-independent.com › ... › US Crime News

Jul 20, 2022 — Georgia police are searching for a man suspected of robbing a bank while dressed up as an old woman. The incident took place in Henry County ...

Man dresses up as old woman and robs bank

11Alive.com
https://www.11alive.com › article › news › local › ma...

Jul 18, 2022 — MCDONOUGH, Ga. — A man robbed a bank wearing a wig and a floral-print dress on Monday in McDonough, according to the police department.

I have no theories that haven't already been posted by you guys.

Sometimes I think the murderer is a small, little man who was maybe a keyboard warrior - type individual who became unhinged by something Elizabeth may have commented on in one of the groups they were both members of.
Sometimes I think it's a woman who was possibly offended or hurt or embarrassed by something Elizabeth may have commented on or agreed with in these groups.

I think quite a bit of thought went into the events leading up to, the murder itself, and what to do afterwards.

I'm not suggesting that Elizabeth online posted or commented on something with a spiteful or ill intent. We all know that we really don't know the people behind screennames and what's going on in their life. Sometimes people take things the wrong way, or some offhand comment set them off.

That being said, I am wrong all the time--- this is all my own thoughts and nothing based on fact.

I feel like this person has zero compassion, empathy or shame --- but they are very worried about what others think about them. Fragile? An unwell person, maybe.

JMOO

Yes, it's possibly a slight/thin young adult male or just a slim male. At this point either male or female is possible and someone who perceived a comment by Liz as rude to them. They could be paranoid or took a comment out of context.

there have been men who robbed banks in a dress and a wig to disguise their identity... common MO

)

View attachment 472901

3 banks robbed by 'Sticky Note Bandit' dressed as woman, FBI ...

View attachment 472902
ABC News
https://abcnews.go.com › story

Jul 16, 2023 — The man allegedly entered Hancock Whitney Bank in Houston on July 5 "dressed as a female, approached a teller, and handed them a threatening ...

View attachment 472903

Man dresses as woman to rob Houston banks

View attachment 472904
KHOU
https://www.khou.com › article › news › local › robbe...

Jul 18, 2023 — July 18: Bank of America at 4301 San Felipe -- the suspect walked into the bank dressed as a woman, waited in line and approached a teller. He ...

View attachment 472905

Man dressed as woman robs BB&T bank in Jacksonville

View attachment 472906
The Florida Times-Union
https://www.jacksonville.com › crime › 2016/09/27

The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office is working to identify a man who posed as a woman and robbed a BB&T bank on Hutchinson Park Drive in the Regency ...

View attachment 472907

Boy disguised as woman during Tampa bank robbery ...

View attachment 472908
WFLA
https://www.wfla.com › news › hillsborough-county

Sep 18, 2023 — (WFLA) — A 17-year-old boy who disguised himself as a married woman to rob a Tampa bank was arrested Wednesday, according to the Hillsborough ...

View attachment 472909

Man who dressed up as a woman to rob banks in Jefferson ...

View attachment 472910
KMOV
https://www.firstalert4.com › 2023/11/09 › man-who-dre...

Nov 9, 2023 — Thomas, 31, of ...

Man dresses up as elderly woman to rob Georgia bank

The Independent
https://www.the-independent.com › ... › US Crime News

Jul 20, 2022 — Georgia police are searching for a man suspected of robbing a bank while dressed up as an old woman. The incident took place in Henry County ...

Man dresses up as old woman and robs bank

11Alive.com
https://www.11alive.com › article › news › local › ma...

Jul 18, 2022 — MCDONOUGH, Ga. — A man robbed a bank wearing a wig and a floral-print dress on Monday in McDonough, according to the police department.
yep! crazy, huh? But they do not want to be caught. The fact Liz was in a cosplay group makes this a very real possibility if someone stalked her from her cosplay/con community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8