TX - Elizabeth Barraza, 29, murdered setting up garage sale, Harris County, Jan 2019 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything points to the perp having knowledge of the sale

The fact they shot her outdoors during daytime, made multiple visits can suggest they don't care about the yard sale or know them well. Might as well, wait for the husband to leave, knock on the door and shoot on any day. This just made it more convenient IMO. Door cams are pretty common and can be seen from outside.

<modsnip>
Right, so many things point to this person having certain knowledge of things. They would have be incredibly lucky for some things to fall into place. IMO the perp knew about the garage sale, knew the husbands work habits, knew she had the day off, knew where she lived. The killer also seemed to be familiar with a gun of that caliber. They shot 4 times without hesitation and intent.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the killer was in the neighborhood that morning waiting. Waiting for the husband to leave. Liz took that Friday off to hold the garage sale, but the husband had to work that day. The killer knew both those things. If the husband had been present, that would have been 2 against 1, the husband could have been a witness and could have tried to protect his wife or attack the shooter.

Another thing that points to the planning of this happening during the garage sale. If the killer entered the house, he has a worse problem with DNA etc. With the driveway it's the soles of the shoes.

I don't want to ever get dug into one theory without going back and examining it again and again from the word go, since what the public knows is so much less than what the police know. The police believe this was targeted. They've also said so little about any facts connected to this case that in a lot of cases they would have already talked about. The killer could have found out the day's plan for Liz and Sergio from some way that is harder to figure out. No matter who turns out to be responsible it is really hard to believe that someone did this for what seems to be a preposterous personal motive no matter how you look at it, whether it was an insider or someone on the fringes of their lives.

Right, so many things point to this person having certain knowledge of things. They would have be incredibly lucky for some things to fall into place. IMO the perp knew about the garage sale, knew the husbands work habits, knew she had the day off, knew where she lived. The killer also seemed to be familiar with a gun of that caliber. They shot 4 times without hesitation and intent.

Yes, those can be learned in a few days leading up to the event. Yard sale is a red herring IMO

New people to the video, be aware that the shots are so loud, it will not only affect animals in your house but your ears may feel damaged for hours afterwards. At least if you have things hooked up to your best sound system.

Yeah, too many things fell exactly into place, if that's what you mean. A person can leave for work a different times every day in a lot of cases.

Yes, if I'm gathering information about my target in the week leading to the event, I may learn about the yard sale. In fact, if I know them long term, I don't need to drive around the night before and may not even know about the yard sale unless I'm a close friend.

New people to the video, be aware that the shots are so loud, it will not only affect animals in your house but your ears may feel damaged for hours afterwards. At least if you have things hooked up to your best sound system.

This! Oh my, it's shockingly loud. If you have headphones on and turn it up to try and hear what is said pre-gunshots you will definitely hurt your ears.

That's something that makes this so brazen! If the shooter did expect Liz to be inside, they really didn't apparently care that they were going to wake the neighbourhood with those gunshots. They were determined to get it done then and there no matter what ...

IMO the killer targeted her, knew her, and purposely took advantage of the yard sale. Trying to kill her somewhere out in public would be incredibly risky. If they knew her well, they'd also know she had a Ring doorbell and would not want to walk up and ring her doorbell to kill her, as they would likely be caught. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted to hurt her for awhile, and even if they found out about the Friday sale only a day or two in advance, threw a plan together because it seemed the perfect scenario for them. All MOO

When you look at the strongest possibilities and everything that happened, the most likely explanation is either someone very close to Liz, or someone not known to most people who was close to someone close to Liz, who chose this day, time, and all the rest of it.

That doesn't mean this is what happened and I hope not, but on paper, motive, etc., that still seems like it to me. MOO.

Last edited:
We are assuming the reason they were there the night before was to check out Liz. However, this could have been a random person looking for a good opportunity. Liz was by herself, outside, in the dark.

This would explain why nobody connected to Liz can be connected to that truck.

The story really works either way- lots of knowledge, or no knowledge

At times, it feels like they're trying too hard to make it look like an over reacting fanatic from the cosplay world. Like a fake burglary to mislead?

Of course there are some crazy, socially awkward people who take things too seriously in that world, but leaving a note, saying those words (if accurate) and wearing a disguise seem a bit too much. All this on multiple cameras and voice recording. IMO

Sorry if this was already discussed.

At times, it feels like they're trying too hard to make it look like an over reacting fanatic from the cosplay world. Like a fake burglary to mislead?

Of course there are some crazy, socially awkward people who take things too seriously in that world, but leaving a note, saying those words (if accurate) and wearing a disguise seem a bit too much. All this on multiple cameras and voice recording. IMO

I feel the same way about this possibility. Even the driving by the night before could all be part of that.

The problem here is motive... That last shot tells me it’s very personal. And the specifics tell me it was probably planned, but it was a rushed plan that wasn’t very well thought out.

Even though Friday garage sales (and even Thursday) are not unusual in this area, those days are almost always advertised so people will show up, as opposed to a Saturday & Sunday sales, which are far more likely to also get people who are driving around looking for garage sale signs along with the ones who saw an ad. This garage sale was originally going to be on Saturday but then Liz took a day off work to have the sale on Friday. Liz having no customers at that time was extremely likely. Neighbors coming and going, that would be a different story you'd think. But the shooter didn't care about being seen with lag time of someone realizing what happened and trying to catch them. The truck was probably the biggest planning factor and doing that last minute is the thing that makes me think planning went back a long way. Then of course there's the gun too. Some things still could have changed last minute even having some of the planning ready. But it all seems to be way too many things lining up just so.

We are assuming the reason they were there the night before was to check out Liz. However, this could have been a random person looking for a good opportunity. Liz was by herself, outside, in the dark.

This would explain why nobody connected to Liz can be connected to that truck.

The story really works either way- lots of knowledge, or no knowledge
IMO, if someone was geared up to just kill someone, anyone, the night before, they'd have found someone in the neighborhood the night before. Someone coming home late,
getting out of the car; or going to work very early.

If they were lurking and waiting for a single individual to hang around on their lawn for a long time in the dark, unconcerned when a stranger with a gun walks up and talks to them, IMO they could still be waiting.

IMO, if someone was geared up to just kill someone, anyone, the night before, they'd have found someone in the neighborhood the night before. Someone coming home late,
getting out of the car; or going to work very early.

If they were lurking and waiting for a single individual to hang around on their lawn for a long time in the dark, unconcerned when a stranger with a gun walks up and talks to them, IMO they could still be waiting.
If we know for sure the killer scoped the place out the night before (do we?) it’s possible that he really didn’t have any inside info and this might have been the only preview he was working with. Makes sense he would want to take a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper