Found Deceased TX - Erica Hernandez, 40, Houston, 17 Apr 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So sad. Looking at the news film of the pond and it seems strange that one cannot see tire tracks from the street into the water. One would think a vehicle that large and heavy would have left tracks. Perhaps it has rained a lot and washed any tracks away. Also interesting is the role of the F.B.I. tip. I wonder what was the "tip" and who provided it?

So very sad! Hard to say it but I pray it was just an accident and nothing nefarious. Be at peace, Erica.

It is a relief to have found the car, and it would be expected that the person found within it will probably be IDed as Erica who has been missing along with the car for over 3 weeks now. It is tragic nonetheless, though it just seems to be a bit easier to accept if it is an accident. At the time of night she was driving, it is very possible she fell asleep at the wheel IMHO. God bless Erica, and all who are suffering with these new developments.

I am trying to find statistics on how often people missing with their cars are found in water. It seems like when searches have exhausted all land possibilities within the area, water searches have to be considered. I know that is easier said than done when there are lots of bodies of water in the vicinity. Many Houston area subdivisions have these ponds as part of the newer developments. There must be hundreds of them, which would be daunting to search.

Last edited:
I may be wrong, but I think they’re confirming it is her SUV, but won’t confirm the body found in the vehicle was Erica until the medical examiner does so.
Yes. Initially they flashed a news alert (I’m local) on my phone that said it was her, I think they back peddled after the news conference and are now waiting for confirmation.

So sad. Looking at the news film of the pond and it seems strange that one cannot see tire tracks from the street into the water. One would think a vehicle that large and heavy would have left tracks. Perhaps it has rained a lot and washed any tracks away. Also interesting is the role of the F.B.I. tip. I wonder what was the "tip" and who provided it?

Tip: quite likely something to do with tracking a cell phone or onboard GPS?

That he said damage was consistent with jumping the curb, would that point to the vehicle going at quite a speed? Especially since it's a sturdy SUV.

I've jumped a curb by accident, at slow speed...no damage to my small car.
My coworkers wife jumped a curb with one side of her car going way too fast and on the phone. Bent her rim, blew out her tire and damaged her quarter panel and suspension on her week old Jeep Cherokee. If she missed the t at the intersection and went straight in, down the hill, she could have been traveling at a fairly high rate of speed and missed the stop sign.

Very sad. I'm familiar with Shadow Creek Ranch. I lived in Pearland for 14+ years. The "lakes" are beautiful. I think they should put some type of perimeter around them so (1) to help prevent a car from getting into the water and (2) so others can see if there is a car that crashed into the lake.

My own Houston neighborhood has these "lakes".

Something similar happened to Lillian High in 2011 in the Houston area. She never showed up for work early in the morning. They found her car in a body of water.

Rest in peace, Erica...

I agree. I'm surprised a pedestrian or cyclist didn't see fresh tire tracks or sign of entry to the pond the day or two after she went in.

I suspect that she may have been drinking at her friends house that evening. Perhaps didn't seem totally inebriated when she was leaving, maybe just a little tipsy. Maybe that's why the friend was texting if she made it home and then sent another text to confirm she actually made it in the expected time given by Erica in that previous text.

So she texted her friend she was 5 minutes from home, then her friend texted her 5 min later several times with no response. Presumably something happened in those 5 minutes? But she was found 10 miles from home. So Erika was either lying, lost, and/or out of it somehow. If she was lying, maybe she was headed to that person's house that she called at 3am. Wonder who that person was and where that person lived. Near that pond where Erika's car was found? But why lie? If you're going to lie, why not just say "Yeah, I'm home. Good night!" instead of dragging things out and saying "5 min away" when you know your friend will likely follow up w/ you in 5 minutes again?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 11.11.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 11.11.13 PM.png
    585.7 KB · Views: 30
Vehicle, body found in Texas lake in search for missing woman

The identity and cause of death of the remains found submerged in a manmade lake in Pearland have not yet been determined by a medical examiner, and an investigation is ongoing, Houston police Commander Kevin Deese said.

There was evidence that it hit a curb before entering the water, he said.

"We do believe on or about the night that Ms. Hernandez went missing, it's likely the vehicle was in, went in the water," Deese said.

Deese said that police went to the area Tuesday "based on information that we gathered along with our partners over at the FBI," but he did not go into details. He did not say that there was any person of interest in the case.

Vehicle pulled from lake in Pearland matches description of SUV belonging to missing Erica Hernandez

(Here’s an article that includes an interview with family)

“The car, I mean it’s her car. There’s a body in there, but I don’t really feel anything right now,” said Ashley Hernandez, Erica’s sister.

The family patiently waited in the neighborhood as dive teams searched the water and crews removed the vehicle. Ashley said the family wants to see the vehicle but hasn’t been able to yet because it’s considered evidence.

For Ashley, some things just aren’t adding up.

“There’s no reason for her to be over here,” Ashley said. “I think somebody had to have made her go in this direction for whatever reason.”

Investigators would not comment on if they suspect foul-play to be involved or if there was a person of interest in this case, but they did say the investigation is ongoing.

@missunerstood Yeah, I agree. If you watch the video of her walking from the home to her truck, she appeared a little off, wobbly. However, I watched the news tonight and her sister said it was strange that she was in Pearland. The sister wants to see the condition of the truck. IDK what to think. I just feel really bad for her kids. Thank god they found her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danaboulden78
Back