GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
ITA!

In some ways this case reminds me of Alex Kelly (I think that was his name) but anyway he raped a girl in his vehicle. To escape being prosecuted he went overseas to expensive resorts/ski lodges etc.in different countries having nothing but a fun filled life. His parents also aided and abetted him. They were wealthy. He was on the lam for 8 years before he was finally brought back to the states for trial. His parents didn't care that he had raped a young girl. He was their spoiled precious brat just like this kid is. I truly don't understand why those with money think they or their children are above the law.

I thought this Judge had to be a bleeding heart to fall for this defense. Who in the world has ever heard of a ruling like this? I sure haven't. What difference did it make if he was spoiled rotten by his parents. That certainly shouldn't be a reason for him to not get serious prison time and I don't think he ever has had one ounce of remorse. He is a full blown narcissist created by his parents.

I sure don't see Judges having sympathy for teens who comes from a poor family when they get in trouble even though many come from a dysfunctional family and have no support system or guidance. They do the crime.......then they do the time. I doubt this same Judge would have given this same ridiculous sentence to anyone who's family didn't have money. If another teen had horribly killed this many innocent people he/she would be doing prison time. I really think the Judge should be removed from the bench. That is using the justice system to give spoiled rich kids a break.

I have read this accident was so horrific it looked like the victims had been in an airplane accident with parts of the vehicle and parts of bodies laying everywhere.:(

So it looks like Mommy has taken on the Judge's role and is once again protecting her spoiled son. I don't know why the Judge thought he would be grateful he got a pass. These kind of kids aren't ever grateful for anything and will continue to do as they want to do and to hell with everyone else. Life to them is all about 'Me, Me, Me' and his parents makes sure he continues to think that way.

I read an article that the DA did ask a few months ago for the case to be transfer to the adult system which only makes sense since he is no longer a juvenile. Did this Judge deny that request if you know? tia

IMO

I have no link, but I believe the judge was a she and she retired soon after this case ( I have an opinion on that but:silenced:):moo:

This happened right down the street from my house near the Ft. Worth/Burleson line. Before this happened he was allowed to live alone, throw outrageous parties, drink and do drugs. The cops were called on many occasions due to excessive noise. He and his friends sped up and down our road at dangerous speeds, always hanging out the windows and usually multiple kids in the bed of the truck. His parents definitely are no longer what most would consider "rich". The media def. blew the rich thing out of proportion, yes they were wealthy and all but were also in and out of trouble, constantly having to pay to get out of things.

He is def. going to prison now. I hope he has the worst time ever.

And even if they fled to a country that has a non extradiotion policy with the U.S., it will not matter because ethan couch is not facing the death penalty.

they WILL have to turn him over.

And this time it will not matter, he got his "get out of jail free card" when he was sentenced to ten years probation, he blew that so now he will have to face the consequences of his actions.

Can you imagine the outrage if the judge did give him jail time? (which would have been two to three years in prison until he turns 21, his parents having the option of sending him to a cushy rehab resort and his record sealed forever)?

Karma is working very well on this family right now.

jmo

I would be surprised if he goes to prison. I think he is just going to get a very stern talking to. He is still a rich boy. Maybe he will get a day.

This happened right down the street from my house near the Ft. Worth/Burleson line. Before this happened he was allowed to live alone, throw outrageous parties, drink and do drugs. The cops were called on many occasions due to excessive noise. He and his friends sped up and down our road at dangerous speeds, always hanging out the windows and usually multiple kids in the bed of the truck. His parents definitely are no longer what most would considhat would you estimate the yearly er "rich". The media def. blew the rich thing out of proportion, yes they were wealthy and all but were also in and out of trouble, constantly having to pay to get out of things.

What do the parents do for a living? You say they are no longer rich....why is that? Were they sued in civil court? Did they use all their money to defend precious? Did they lose their jobs?

I would be surprised if he goes to prison. I think he is just going to get a very stern talking to. He is still a rich boy. Maybe he will get a day.

oh, I believe this time he will be going to prison, he will have a different judge this time. They know he already killed 4 people and seriously injured 2 more. He has already blown his probation. They know he still has no disregard for anything or anybody.

He still has not learned his lesson. he's a legal adult so this falls on him, not mom or dad.

jmo

If they don't lock him up he will kill more people etc.

jmo

What do the parents do for a living? You say they are no longer rich....why is that? Were they sued in civil court? Did they use all their money to defend precious? Did they lose their jobs?

His father owns Cleburne sheet company. I'm not sure what his mother does.

Couch was prosecuted under a "Determinate Sentence." The decision to request transfer of his case to the adult courts was the discretion of the DA's office.

The decision to transfer or allow Couch to "age out" will be made by a juvenile court judge.

All things considered, it was pretty much a given that the DA's office would request the transfer to the adult justice system.

(Emphasis added)

A juvenile who has been adjudicated of a determinate sentence will either be sentenced to placement in the TJJD or placed on probation. In each case, the juvenile court retains jurisdiction over the juvenile up until the juvenile turns eighteen or nineteen, depending on when the offense occurred.

Juveniles who receive probation will be ordered by the juvenile judge to be on probation for a term of up to 10 years, which may extend past the time the juvenile reaches adulthood. When the juvenile turns either eighteen or nineteen, and ages out of the juvenile court’s jurisdiction, the probation automatically expires unless the prosecutor requests a transfer hearing. If this happens, the juvenile judge will decide whether or not to transfer the juvenile into the custody of an adult criminal court. If the request for transfer is granted, the county’s adult probation department would supervise the juvenile for the remainder of his or her probation.

https://www.bhwlawfirm.com/texas-juvenile-law-what-is-determinate-sentencing/

Possible that Couch and his parents may have thought that his case would have been allowed to go away once he aged out at 19.

If they thought that would happen, it would appear to be yet another example of their deluded thinking.

A motion to revoke is a different matter and all things considered, the decision to run has made his case infinitely more difficult for him to receive any further leniency.

I foresee that the judge will transfer his case to the adult courts.

I also foresee that the best Couch can hope for from the inevitable motion to revoke is a term in an Intermediate Sanctioning Facility (ISF) or a Substance Abuse Felony Program (SAFP).

He had his opportunities to be treated as a juvenile with his stays at Vernon and Cal Farley's.

Apparently he has not seen a light.

I do think he will be caught. I don't think he or his mother have the psychological makeup necessary to live "successfully" as a fugitive.

I figure they already left discernable tracks that will lead to their apprehension.

By all accounts, Tarrant County is in no mood for any further embarrassment resulting from this family's arrogant attitude towards the criminal justice system.

I think this case has been mis-represented by the media and the defense lawyers. It's not like these people are the Kennedys or something. Both parents have criminal records, they're both jerks, and it's not like they have a LOT of money. They have an attitude that they're above the law, and they have a little money, and a spoiled brat kid who was given access to a car and has never felt remorse for all those deaths, nor have his parents.

But they've been treated like they are Kennedys. The kid got away with killing 4 people because his family was considered rich by the judge.

ETA: Just saw another post that the family makes $15 million a year. $15 million is (signfiicantly) more than enoiugh to work the justice system in your favor.

But they've been treated like they are Kennedys. The kid got away with killing 4 people because his family was considered rich by the judge.

ETA: Just saw another post that the family makes $15 million a year. $15 million is (signfiicantly) more than enoiugh to work the justice system in your favor.

The article I read stated that this wasn't unusual for a punishment for an accidental crime committed by a juvenile and adjudicated in juvenile court. I think what made this news was the arrogance of the family, and the term "affluenza". Teens who drive drunk and cause horrible damage don't typically go to prison, as per the article above.

I don't believe the family made 15 million. Maybe that was the business net profit, but with 15 million personal income per year they wouldn't be living in a home in suburban Burleson. And he wouldn't have pulled his son out of rehab for a broken neck because after a 90K bill, he was "running out of money".

And I don't think he was given a light sentence because the judge believed his family to be wealthy - rather, because he appeared to be a victim of gross neglect and had been given too many cars and too much freedom, IMHO. This isn't a powerful family, IMHO.

From looking at some numbers I believe that is the company which the father owns gross revenue. I don't think they were pulling in 15 a year.

He will be hunted down and returned to justice and possibly tried as an adult and likely will be deemed an adult for future violations. He allegedly broke the conditions of his release and will be brought to justice to answer for those breaches.

I understand the US Marshals Service and FBI have been tapped to locate Ethan and bring him to justice.

It's really awful that the parent(s?) are enabling this young man instead of allowing him to face consequences. How do you learn your lesson when you're constantly removed from the downside of your decisions? Would Ethan run without the influence and subsidy of his mom and/or dad? They all need to grow up and face reality. I feel he and his mom are in Europe or South America, but that's just a wild baseless guess.

Just my :twocents: When our 17 year old became pregnant and ran away, it was the hardest thing in the world to let her face the consequences of those actions. We love her the same and would never have chosen for her to have the life she has now but you have to let them fail (I am not calling our grandson a failure, he is a wonderful and adorable blessing). Kids will have a tough time developing character and integrity and learning self-control if they don't ever have to face failure.

Just my :twocents: When our 17 year old became pregnant and ran away, it was the hardest thing in the world to let her face the consequences of those actions. We love her the same and would never have chosen for her to have the life she has now but you have to let them fail (I am not calling our grandson failure, he is a wonderful and adorable blessing). Kids will have a tough time developing character and integrity and learning self-control if they don't ever have to face failure.

+1
I work in academia and see the result of not letting kids fail. They aren't equipped with dealing with it.

It's really awful that the parent(s?) are enabling this young man instead of allowing him to face consequences. How do you learn your lesson when you're constantly removed from the downside of your decisions? Would Ethan run without the influence and subsidy of his mom and/or dad? They all need to grow up and face reality. I feel he and his mom are in Europe or South America, but that's just a wild baseless guess.

I think they were more than enabling - they were directly causing his behaviors. When he was picked up for driving drunk at 15 with a naked girl in his truck, that should have been the END of big red trucks for him. A little used Honda Civic for you, kid, if you maintain your good behavior. I've just seen this behavior - in sons of divorce, where the dad is living through the youth of his son, and the mother has turned the teenager into her partner instead of her son. Even down to the Big Loud Truck. It's a huge problem - the son has his parent's full backing to act like a j*ackass and wreck havoc.

Thanks for clearing up how much they made. I was under the impression that they had a personal income of 15 million a year.

And the US Marshals and FBI would not be looking for him if he was not facing prison time.

jmo

And the US Marshals and FBI would not be looking for him if he was not facing prison time.

jmo
The first judge (a woman) made a huge mistake by giving him probation for killing 4 people & seriously injuring others! I think LE feels that the kid has had ample opportunity to straighten his life out & he has failed miserably. I think LE patience has completely worn out & I don't blame them one bit! Ethan belongs in big boy jail along with all the other guys that cannot be rehabilitated.

jmo

Well, he certainly is, at the least, now a fugitive from justice and that is usually a minimum requirement along with a warrant for them to get involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
webrowser