GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find Goodsell patently offensive. "When my son is out, I leave my phone on". Like, hello mother of the year. Other mothers know where their kids are, (or at least think they do, by checking) and they wait up for their 15 year olds to come home. I have no sympathy for the teens who were also involved, and uninjured. I have great sympathy for the one who is now paralyzed, but none for those who were also involved in the beer theft from Walmart, the frequent drinking and partying, and then getting into his truck knowing this boy was blind drunk. Where is the reality? Where is the mother of the girl who needed tampons who should publicly apologize for her daughter not having the sense to call Mom or a friend or an older sister, etc? Where are the apologies from the other guilty parties - the other kids and their parents - rather than everyone acting like only Ethan and the Couch family is at fault?

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I was a teen way back in the 1950s & I can guarantee that my very strict parents did not know where I was or what I was doing at all times. They would have killed me if they had known. There wasn't any danger of me being drunk because we lived in a dry county. The only liquor readily available was beer & I couldn't stand the stuff. BTW, I still can't. That being said, I was out with a boy who had a souped up car & outran the police one night. He had not been drinking. I also remember the night when some of us were out joy riding & stopped out in the middle of the highway & danced for a while. Teens are not known for always making good decisions & parents can't keep them locked up in a closet.

How hard would it have been for them to get fake passports/Ids? I imagine not very!

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I was a teen way back in the 1950s & I can guarantee that my very strict parents did not know where I was or what I was doing at all times. They would have killed me if they had known. There wasn't any danger of me being drunk because we lived in a dry county. The only liquor readily available was beer & I couldn't stand the stuff. BTW, I still can't. That being said, I was out with a boy who had a souped up car & outran the police one night. He had not been drinking. I also remember the night when some of us were out joy riding & stopped out in the middle of the highway & danced for a while. Teens are not known for always making good decisions & parents can't keep them locked up in a closet.

Oh, I certainly don't disagree with what you say. I was a teen and snuck out, and my own sons made some pretty wild decisions that praise God they survived. I'm just saying, I wouldn't say "when my 15 year old is out at night I leave my phone on". As if, patting myself on the back, that's good parenting. Because it isn't - a 15 year old shouldn't be out so late that the mother can't possibly wait up. Blaming the Couches for being negligent, when she herself was also negligent, seems hypocritical.

How hard would it have been for them to get fake passports/Ids? I imagine not very!

I think given the time she had - which was from the time he was put on probation - she had plenty of time to plan the escape. I think she knew there was no way he would abide by the terms of probation and she wasn't willing to try to enforce them.

Of course, there's always the chance that they were out running errands together and somehow went down an embankment and haven't been recovered. Unlikely.

I think the civil lawsuits (which will inevitably follow soon) could put a dent in the parental wealth, making the 450 thousand they may pay for a stint of "one-on-one special therapy" for their precious little do-no-wrong offspring look like a tiny little ding in the portfolio.

I'm late to this case, so please forgive if I ask stupid things or repeat what may have already been said or referenced. :)

Imagine --- Four (4) Wrongful Death suits against this young rich h**ligan. I hope those papers are already in process. A good WD suit could tie up his funds for a long time. Could they also sue the parents for WD? Hmmmmm.

Any Texas attorneys out there?

[h=2]What is a "Wrongful Death" in Texas?[/h] Texas Statutes section 71.001 states that an action for wrongful death may be brought if the "wrongful act, neglect, carelessness, unskillfulness, or default" of one party causes the death of another.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/wrongful-death-lawsuits-texas.html

This article is a very informative -- and short -- read. Much good info.

I'm late to this case, so please forgive if I ask stupid things or repeat what may have already been said or referenced. :)

Imagine --- Four (4) Wrongful Death suits against this young rich h**ligan. I hope those papers are already in process. A good WD suit could tie up his funds for a long time. Could they also sue the parents for WD? Hmmmmm.

Any Texas attorneys out there?

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/wrongful-death-lawsuits-texas.html

This article is a very informative -- and short -- read. Much good info.

@borndem, apparently lawsuits have been filed and all have settled out of court.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/2015...wsuit-affluenza-settlement-mcconnel/73682136/

This morning I was in line at Kroger and the young mom in front of me was there with her four boys (I'd guess ages 3-10).

As I began putting my groceries on the counter, the cashier told me she was waiting for a manager. The mom looked peeved. I thought "well crap, I sure picked the wrong register!"

Just then the manager, wearing a very stern look, approached the boys and asked them if there was something they would like to talk to him about. The boys hemmed and hawed and said "it wasn't me", etc.

Turns out, as the mom was about to leave the store, she noticed one or more (from what I could gather) of her boys had taken some candy. She turned right around, asked the cashier to call the manager, and quietly told her why. The cashier later told me the mom also requested that the manager not take it easy on the boys.

After a short grilling and the return of the ill-gotten gains, the manager explained that when people steal from his store, he usually calls the police because stealing is a crime. He then said that the boys were very lucky to have a mom who cared about teaching them right from wrong, so today, because they were in such good hands and it was Christmas, he was going to leave to police out of this.

Those boys had eyes like saucers, and their mother calmly thanked the cashier, the manager and those of us in line.

I couldn't help myself, I patted her arm and said "you are a good momma".

What do you want to bet Ethan's "parents" never went to the trouble (and YES, it is trouble and work) to instill any sense of values in him. That said, I know people who were "raised" without much guidance but still have a very strong moral compass.

Just thought I would share this little story and hope it isn't too OT.

And Merry Christmas to those who celebrate; to those who do not, enjoy a lovely break with friends and family!

When I was in high school I got in trouble once. It was for racing my motorcycle around. When the cops stopped me I mouthed off big time to them and that earned me a night in jail. My parents, who were reasonably well off, could have bailed me out, but they decided to let me sit in the cell overnight and think about what I'd done. I never went back. That was my one and only experience with jail. Perhaps if Ethan's parents had let him sit in a cell when he first started getting into trouble the accident would never have happened.

Where did the Couch's get their money? Was it inherited?

I'm sure the answer is somewhere on this thread but I haven't seen it. TIA!

Where did the Couch's get their money? Was it inherited?

I'm sure the answer is somewhere on this thread but I haven't seen it. TIA!

A sheet metal business. I checked the company site a few days ago and it was down. I don't know if it's back up yet or not.

Mods or anyone else who knows. Are we allowed to post anything that we see on Facebook?

This is the only thread I am sneaking and checking during holiday time........bummed those two lovely persons have not yet been apprehended. :(

This morning I was in line at Kroger and the young mom in front of me was there with her four boys (I'd guess ages 3-10).

As I began putting my groceries on the counter, the cashier told me she was waiting for a manager. The mom looked peeved. I thought "well crap, I sure picked the wrong register!"

Just then the manager, wearing a very stern look, approached the boys and asked them if there was something they would like to talk to him about. The boys hemmed and hawed and said "it wasn't me", etc.

Turns out, as the mom was about to leave the store, she noticed one or more (from what I could gather) of her boys had taken some candy. She turned right around, asked the cashier to call the manager, and quietly told her why. The cashier later told me the mom also requested that the manager not take it easy on the boys.

After a short grilling and the return of the ill-gotten gains, the manager explained that when people steal from his store, he usually calls the police because stealing is a crime. He then said that the boys were very lucky to have a mom who cared about teaching them right from wrong, so today, because they were in such good hands and it was Christmas, he was going to leave to police out of this.

Those boys had eyes like saucers, and their mother calmly thanked the cashier, the manager and those of us in line.

I couldn't help myself, I patted her arm and said "you are a good momma".

What do you want to bet Ethan's "parents" never went to the trouble (and YES, it is trouble and work) to instill any sense of values in him. That said, I know people who were "raised" without much guidance but still have a very strong moral compass.

Just thought I would share this little story and hope it isn't too OT.

And Merry Christmas to those who celebrate; to those who do not, enjoy a lovely break with friends and family!

If Ethan had any moral compass, his parents paid to get rid of it.

Mods or anyone else who knows. Are we allowed to post anything that we see on Facebook?

If it's the FB page of a MSM outlet it's normally okay here.

You can always hit the alert button on your post and ask a moderator about the FB page you're asking about.

This is the only thread I am sneaking and checking during holiday time........bummed those two lovely persons have not yet been apprehended. :(

You got it bad too. :floorlaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member