GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
High-profile Mexican attorney Fernando Benitez will represent Ethan Couch in his fight to stay in Mexico.
Benitz said he has not spoken with Couch yet but hopes to on Tuesday.
He also said no gun was found during Couch's detention and calls that information "gossip from unconfirmed sources."
Benitez would not say who hired him.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/affluenza-teen-ethan-couch-hires-high-profile-mexican-lawyer/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...r-Mexican-lawyer-order-fight-deportation.html

If there are running out of money, I presume because of all the lawsuits. There are 4 dead people and 2 injured people, one of whom is really in a vegetative state. Obviously the cost of the lawsuits would be in millions. In my book people who have millions to spare are rich. Most people don't have millions in their accounts, and are actually in debt.

I'm under the impression that liability insurance covered most, if not all, of the civil lawsuit settlements.

The pickup Ethan was driving that night belonged to his father's company and was covered under their liability insurance. The costs for attorneys defending/settling those suits would have been borne by the insurance company.

The family may have taken some hits to their cash assets from the settlements, but not necessarily in the millions. That's what good insurance is for.

Cleburne Metal Works is an LLC -- Limited Liability Corporation. That provides some additional shields for personal assets.

From what I've read in articles, the suits were styled against the Couch family and Cleburne Metal Works. Some of the settlement amounts in the Personal Injury suits were disclosed; the amounts in the wrongful death suits were not. I imagine those amounts were in the millions. At least two of the PI suit settlements include structured payouts over a period of time.

Because of the civil lawsuits, it stands to reason, IMO, that Cleburne Metal Works is taking some degree of a hit on their insurance premiums that would impact their cash flow and, potentially, Daddy Dearest's income. It's also possible that the business is having to absorb a portion of the settlements, depending upon the limits of their liability policy. That, too, could be impacting the company's bottom line and Fred Couch's personal income.

Who knows if he has otherwise invested his income through the years outside of growing the business and real estate.

How deep their cash pockets are and what their ability is to get bank notes isn't really known.

I just can't automatically assume they're rolling in relatively unlimited cash assets, i.e. rich, simply because they own a business and relatively expensive real estate. Who knows how much debt they and/or the business might be carrying.

But, heck, I'll concede that they are wealthier than most people. Obviously the Couches have enough cash or bankability to retain good legal representation for at least three members of the family; most people cannot afford such representation for even one member of their family.

We have continually read about Tonya's drinking and drugs. Of course, we have no verification of this, only what is reported.

Is there a way the DA can check this out for clarification and proof to present to the judge? Wonder if the ex would turn on her? Just a thought.

I doubt her ex would turn on her. They all seem to be united in thumbing their noses at the law & thus far it has worked. Sadly, I don't think any of them will ever be held accountable for anything in this lifetime. JMO, it's very sad & depressing.

I'm under the impression that liability insurance covered most, if not all, of the civil lawsuit settlements.

The pickup Ethan was driving that night belonged to his father's company and was covered under their liability insurance. The costs for attorneys defending/settling those suits would have been borne by the insurance company.

The family may have taken some hits to their cash assets from the settlements, but not necessarily in the millions. That's what good insurance is for.

Cleburne Metal Works is an LLC -- Limited Liability Corporation. That provides some additional shields for personal assets.

From what I've read in articles, the suits were styled against the Couch family and Cleburne Metal Works. Some of the settlement amounts in the Personal Injury suits were disclosed; the amounts in the wrongful death suits were not. I imagine those amounts were in the millions. At least two of the PI suit settlements include structured payouts over a period of time.

Because of the civil lawsuits, it stands to reason, IMO, that Cleburne Metal Works is taking some degree of a hit on their insurance premiums that would impact their cash flow and, potentially, Daddy Dearest's income. It's also possible that the business is having to absorb a portion of the settlements, depending upon the limits of their liability policy. That, too, could be impacting the company's bottom line and Fred Couch's personal income.

Who knows if he has otherwise invested his income through the years outside of growing the business and real estate.

How deep their cash pockets are and what their ability is to get bank notes isn't really known.

I just can't automatically assume they're rolling in relatively unlimited cash assets, i.e. rich, simply because they own a business and relatively expensive real estate. Who knows how much debt they and/or the business might be carrying.

But, heck, I'll concede that they are wealthier than most people. Obviously the Couches have enough cash or bankability to retain good legal representation for at least three members of the family; most people cannot afford such representation for even one member of their family.

I wonder if they are having trouble staying insured? Insurance companies aren't known for throwing money away on a sure loss.

Haven't been on WS for a while so I'm trying to catch up. I can't for the life of me understand why he would want to fight extradition and stay in Mexico. Unless I've missed something vital in this case he would only get 120 days in US for taking off. However, things move so slow in Mexico that he is liable to sit where he is or even sit in jail for a very long time awaiting trial for the gun charge (if there is a charge) and then if convicted, spend his sentence in a Mexican jail. If it were me? I'd rather sit in an American jail rather than a Mexican jail. What am I missing here? :waitasec:

Yes, sorry, I edited my post upthread. They are only responsible for paying some of the settlement, most is being paid by an insurer.

When you look at civil lawsuits, you have to determine how much the plaintiff is responsible for his own injuries, and how much the defendant is responsible. My guess (just a guess) the boy's blood alcohol level revealed he too had been drinking, he willingly got in the bed of a truck (illegal) of a person he must have known full well was drunk, and in the wreck became horribly injured. He's not in the legal position of complete innocence that the people on the side of the road are in, and apparently as of yet they haven't sued. Ethan's fleeing the country and violating probation may change that.

I'm pretty sure wrongful death and personal injury suits have to be filed within two years. That time has passed as the event was on June 15, 2013.

I wonder if they are having trouble staying insured? Insurance companies aren't known for throwing money away on a sure loss.

Little doubt their risk assessment has been affected.

I suspect they are able to be insured, but that their liability premiums are really pricey now and probably with lower limits on claims against them.

I just returned from lunch with my nephew who is a supervisor with the Border Patrol & I learned a couple of things.

First of all, any U. S. citizen or citizen from any other country in the world detained in Mexico does not have civil rights in Mexico. Civil rights there are only for Mexican citizens. Therefore, any Mexican judge who rules that Ethan's civil rights have been violated there in Mexico would be in direct contradiction of current Mexican law.

Secondly, it is my nephew's opinion that if enough money is paid on behalf of Ethan, his detention quarters could be quite luxurious. So, for those who worry about 'poor Ethan', it is quite possible he may continue to have his usual pampered existence. I expressed my outrage at the entire situation & my nephew said, "You have lots & lots & lots of company". It's comforting to know that many others share my feelings.

A Mexican attorney for "affluenza" teen Ethan Couch says he estimates that the 18-year-old's deportation to the United States will last "a couple of months," unless Couch decides not to fight it.

Attorney Fernando Benitez, who says he will meet Couch Tuesday morning, told ABC News that he hopes he can get Couch a hearing by early February, but added that the deportation process could take much longer.

Benitez told ABC News that the deportation was a government attempt to run an end-around the extradition laws -- which can take more than a year. However, if Couch decides he doesn't want to do it, Benitez said he would drop the case and the deportation would proceed immediately.

Benitez told ABC News that, on Tuesday, Couch was on the immigration center van, about to be taken to the airport, when his assistant arrived with the writ of Amparo, staying the deportation, and Couch was taken off the van.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/affluenza-teen-ethan-couch-mexico-months-back-texas/story?id=36057836

Haven't been on WS for a while so I'm trying to catch up. I can't for the life of me understand why he would want to fight extradition and stay in Mexico. Unless I've missed something vital in this case he would only get 120 days in US for taking off. However, things move so slow in Mexico that he is liable to sit where he is or even sit in jail for a very long time awaiting trial for the gun charge (if there is a charge) and then if convicted, spend his sentence in a Mexican jail. If it were me? I'd rather sit in an American jail rather than a Mexican jail. What am I missing here? :waitasec:

Well, he has the best lawyers that money can buy in both the US and in Mexico, and apparently these lawyers agree that this is his best option.

As for the gun charge, there is no gun charge. No gun was found. So that probably won’t be an issue.

I just returned from lunch with my nephew who is a supervisor with the Border Patrol & I learned a couple of things.

First of all, any U. S. citizen or citizen from any other country in the world detained in Mexico does not have civil rights in Mexico. Civil rights there are only for Mexican citizens. Therefore, any Mexican judge who rules that Ethan's civil rights have been violated there in Mexico would be in direct contradiction of current Mexican law.

Secondly, it is my nephew's opinion that if enough money is paid on behalf of Ethan, his detention quarters could be quite luxurious. So, for those who worry about 'poor Ethan', it is quite possible he may continue to have his usual pampered existence. I expressed my outrage at the entire situation & my nephew said, "You have lots & lots & lots of company". It's comforting to know that many others share my feelings.

i was about to write something similar, jails in latin america are known for having "golden cages", areas were well connected inmates are held in confortably in comparison to the general population

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mexican officials could easily make a point of delaying, in strategic cooperation with US LE, being as it's in their "national character" to be inefficient. "Mexican time" 'n all. Per Mexican authorities, this appeal from Brat Twerp could take "many months" to be addressed. :floorlaugh:

i was about to write something similar, jails in latin america are known for having "golden cages", areas were well connected inmates are held in confortably in comparison to the general population

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would guess that authorities have their limitations however. Predator Van der Sloot sure isn't getting deluxe accommodations in Peru.

Plus, from the way Mexican authorities have been talking, they have little patience for Brat Twerp's behavior. It is likely good for their reputations to stick it to a teenager who caused 4 deaths and doesn't believe in consequences. It's a no brainer for Mexico not to offer special comfort to TwitTwerp, and will get them a lot of positive press. And they could use some positive press...

Well at least the dad doesn't have to help since the kid is of age now.

But let's ponder for a second. The lawyer and doctors said that he has affluenza. Now the judge felt okay to give him leniency while getting bashed.

Now he runs. So he has just violated his probation conditions . So hopefully the next judge will not be duped and force him to serve the remaining years in prison. Along with the sentencing for running from the law.

Fingers crossed.

Maybe you haven't had time to read all of the thread. He's not getting years in prison for this stunt. Max 120 days, due to the terms of his juvenile offender probation.

I just wonder, will he be charged by the Mexicans for some crime we are un aware of. I am finding it hard they would hold him just because he does not want to serve 120 or whatever days.....that is nothing compared to years, life or death.

As for him not being in front of the Mexican Judge right away, it is the holidays, maybe the Judge is taking a vacation and does not 'jump' just because someone has money.

IMO, I think there is more to the story.

I agree with the lawyer, about the hotel gun thing being suspect. Even the Couchs wouldn’t be stupid enough to leave a gun laying around in a hotel room.

You're prolly right, but I still think EC could've just forgotten about it -- IMO, he's never really had to think for himself -- just let Mommy do it. But it is Mexico, so who knoze? SMH

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/drim...res-high-profile-attorney-in-mexico/78196786/

In addition to other articles that we have read about Ethan hiring a prominent Mexican attorney, this article makes a statement that I have never seen before. It clearly states near the bottom of the article that his Mexican attorney, Fredrico Benetiz has sent representatives from his office to see Ethan & that Ethan has not experienced any harm or mistreatment while in custody. This tells me that money must have started flowing south almost immediately upon his detention.

Nah, given all their other awesome subterfuge, I think they are EXACTLY that stupid.

YMMV.

ETA: spelling skills be not goodly

Yep, I have to agree -- EC lets his mom think & do for him; mom lets the money & the lawyers talk & do for her. After a few years of pickling in that green brine, I think those two are not that bright -- snoozing & losing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrina