GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, it doesn’t add up. Ethan Couch was also driving a stolen vehicle. No matter how you look at it, there was absolutely zero logic in the judge's rulings. Zero.

He wasn't driving a stolen vehicle, was he? I thought it was his Dad's pickup truck because his own pickup truck was having mechanical problems.

You don't have to grow up in privileged circumstances to have normal/high IQ.

Oh give me a freaking break. You know perfectly well I neither said that nor implied it.

First of all, the offenses were not the "exact same" and that has already been explained.

ETA: After reading that the other kid was white, not black, I had to edit my post. Also, it's been mentioned many times that Texas judges now tend to lean towards rehabilitation with juveniles rather than incarceration. A subsequent post (#216) discusses the change in philosophy that has occurred between the time the first kid was sentenced to 20 years and when Ethan Couch was given probation.

Finally, just because we disagree with someone's logic doesn't prove there WAS no logic, and it certainly is not evidence of a payoff. As a general rule, I don't think it's good policy to make statements of speculation as though they are fact, and it is specifically against WS TOS to do so without documentation.

Actually, I don't know what caused Judge Boyd to make the decision she did. At the best, it was a terribly tragic lapse of judgement. At the worst, it was much more sinister. Whatever the reason, we in Tarrant Co. are much better off without Judge Jean Boyd as a juvenile judge. She is a disgrace to the Texas justice system! Of course, this is JMO.

"Short" answers -- "magistrates" in Texas are, broadly, anyone who fills a statutory judicial function: district court judges, municipal court judges, justices of the peace, county judges who preside over probate proceedings, etc.

Magistrate courts are used to conduct some hearings and other functions upon referrals from a district court judge. Magistrate court judges are appointed for one year terms rather than elected. Magistrate courts are mostly utilized to alleviate time stresses on district court calendars.

Federal courts also utilize magistrate judges in a similar fashion.

One of the judicial functions a magistrate court in Texas does not do is hear cases on the merits at trial. That function for felonies is reserved for district courts only. I think the same is true in the federal courts.

I'm generally a "statute nerd." The numerous statutes covering the functions of magistrate courts give me a headache.

Most likely this particular instance arose from her mental health screening that is part of the jail intake process.

http://www.dentonrc.com/local-news/local-news-headlines/20150825-cry-for-help.ece

That requirement is not always followed; Sandra Bland's confinement in the Waller County jail being a notable example of noncompliance.

Without knowing for sure, I am guessing that Tarrant County is in compliance and that Tonya Couch has either received mental health services/treatment in her past or has other indices of mental health issues that appeared in her intake.

Okay, fine I'll buy that her narcissism is part of a mental illness, but mental retardation, really???

Well alrighty, then.

Guessing he won't be ponying up bail money and/or serving as surety on a bond and putting his assets at risk should she go rabbit when/if she bonds out.

Without his assets as a surety, she may well have difficulty bonding out if the judge keeps her bail at a high figure.

She told one of the judges (can't remember which one now) that she was married, not getting divorced! Like I said earlier, she doesn't want to lose Fred's gravy train. She might actually have to make her own money then.

She told one of the judges (can't remember which one now) that she was married, not getting divorced! Like I said earlier, she doesn't want to lose Fred's gravy train. She might actually have to make her own money then.

Well, when asked "are you married", if you can only answer yes or no, yes is correct.

Why was she asked that, do you know? If it was to get an idea of her money resources to determine bail, "yes" is clearly the correct legal answer, IMHO.

I forgot about them. Yes, one has to wonder what their relationship is with their mother.

An ambitious person could get a true crime book out of this case. Considering the "looky loo" quality, it would sell well.

I'd buy it.

I'm guilty, guilty, guilty of rubber-necking this story. :)

One of the daughters said in the TV program about Ethan and the Affluenza and the accident that she had previously warned Tonya that if left alone in the Burleson house unsupervised that Ethan would drink alcohol. So Tonya had no excuse for not knowing...

bbm

That's just how I saw it, too. Maybe it was my imagination, but I could swear I heard her huffing & puffing as she came in -- like she was highly irked. Not used to being drug around that way, ya know. I had to smile. :D

She didn't have to say much to the Court, but what she said seemed clipped and pizzed. Anyway, back she went to her little bed and mattress, her two (?) towels, her blanket, ruff sheets and prolly 95-degree cell. Pity, that.

Some folks would fight to have it even that good, I'm sure.
icon8.png

There was very little "Yes, your Honor." A whole lot of angry "Okay." ["Sure, if you say so....."] under the breath.

Imo. Let the mom go and arrest the probation officer. Jmo. The video was enough to pick him up on day1. Jmo.

Also arrest the retired judge that gave this kid probation but sentenced the other kid to 20 years. Jmo.

A stolen car doesn't matter. 1 kid killed 1. And another kid stole beer while being rich and then killed 4 people while seriously hurting others.

Btw. Being paralyzed or dam near is nothing to sneeze at.

This judge should really be sued for bias. And I don't care if she's 200 years old. Jmi

There was very little "Yes, your Honor." A whole lot of angry "Okay." ["Sure, if you say so....."] under the breath.

Were you watching this video? I sure don't see anything angry, and the judge seems very relaxed and smiles at her.

I guess really, we see what we expect to see. She seems very respectful and quiet in this appearance.

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are" - Anais Nin

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/09/u...-case-mother-appears-in-texas-court.html?_r=0

I can see this case dragging on for years. If Tonya ever gets out on bail, I don't see her hanging around if she can get her hands on liquid assets. So they fit her with a GPS, but those can be cut off, can't they? Of course I guess the US Marshals can always track her down again. Those guys are the only thing about this case that has moved fast.

She's probably already spent that $30,000 on attorneys. She'll need expensive ones. She was probably paying them while they were "stuck in traffic."

Oh give me a freaking break. You know perfectly well I neither said that nor implied it.

I, too, thought that's what you meant, namely lower socioeconomic status, lower IQ.

TC told the judge she was competent, anyway. She even giggled.

TC was in court without an attorney due to traffic per the judge, she knew right then she wouldn't be out until at least Monday. lol I'm sure any observed anger would be due to no bail until then. I may have missed it but was she pampered in LA? Were the lights turned low at night and did the prisoners just ignore her? Haven't done a comparison of the jails. I've read the lights were on all night & other prisoners taunted her upon her arrival in TX. Wonder how great EC is living right now?

Plus, no comb, dirty clothes, no shower everyday, no makeup lol, & no lawyer to boot, well guess it wasn't reds day then. Not until Monday...

TC was in court without an attorney due to traffic per the judge, she knew right then she wouldn't be out until at least Monday. lol I'm sure any observed anger would be due to no bail until then. I may have missed it but was she pampered in LA? Were the lights turned low at night and did the prisoners just ignore her? Haven't done a comparison of the jails. I've read the lights were on all night & other prisoners taunted her upon her arrival in TX. Wonder how great EC is living right now?

Plus, no comb, dirty clothes, no shower everyday, no makeup lol, & no lawyer to boot, well guess it wasn't reds day then. Not until Monday...

Wasn't she in supermax and isolation in LA? For, cough, "safety"? I think lights are never turned off in prison/jail since inmates have to be monitored at all times. I'm sure there are many inmates (especially women?) who have nightmares. I'm betting newcomers would be sussed out, not ignored.

That statuesque female officer at TC's arraignment was so impressive and put together, she made TC look even more trashed. Just compare the hair...... the officer had every strand in place, in an attractive yet professional style, and TC's is a mess, wrong color, bad perm, atrocious haircut. And yellow makes pink sunburned skin look even pinker....

Plus, that officer made TC look very insignificant. And she dominated the visuals. I'll bet the sheriff handpicked her.

Interesting from the affidavit:

Tonya Couch was "on a computer" when she was detained by the Mexican authorities on Dec. 28.

Dollars to donuts that computer is a laptop and its data history will be evidence to support the charge against her.

I have a theory about where her passport is.

It is not in her "property" at the jail, nor was it in her "property" in Los Angeles.

It is in "evidence" in Tarrant County.

Hmmm. was her screen name Carrot Top?:blushing::moo:

Discipline is a not so nice word in some circles like Child Protective Services. According to them you shouldn't discipline your child, you should re-direct them. So I'm just going to be politically correct & say that IMO all children need to be re-directed from time to time, some just more so than others.

****** CPS, Ethan's Mommy IMO is most to blame for this IMO.He wanted to lie about it(video) His psycho mommy decided to go on the run to save baby boy. If she is allowed bail and not watched she will flee again to see her baby boy. Idiot:laughing:

One of the daughters said in the TV program about Ethan and the Affluenza and the accident that she had previously warned Tonya that if left alone in the Burleson house unsupervised that Ethan would drink alcohol. So Tonya had no excuse for not knowing...

What TV program?? I have been dying to get a look at Tonya's other children. I am so curious as to what they look like. Do they look like 'normal' people (whatever 'normal' is) or do they look like dumpster divers? I just have a hard time believing that any child she raised could be a productive member of society, but I hope I'm wrong.

Other prisoners taunting her????? I can't see Tarrant Co. citizens giving her a warm welcome whether she is in jail or free. If she stays around here, I imagine most people will treat her like a leper & she deserves it richly.

It warms my heart knowing that she is not comfortable in jail after only spending one night at that jail. Complaining about the other inmates taunting her is only going to get them to taunt her more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper