GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What TV program?? I have been dying to get a look at Tonya's other children. I am so curious as to what they look like. Do they look like 'normal' people (whatever 'normal' is) or do they look like dumpster divers? I just have a hard time believing that any child she raised could be a productive member of society, but I hope I'm wrong.
One of the true crime ones like 20/20 or 48 Hours. Thinking it probably wasn't Dateline. It was recent. And the daughter was blonde and looked normal.

I wonder if she tested positive for drugs or alcohol while in Mexico, CA, or TX jails since the Judge made a point of her not using them. I know each one stays in the body only so long...or what was found with her in Mexico, just wondering.

And wondering who is putting up her bond and when will she get out.

It's extremely common for drug testing to be a condition of release, whether there are drugs/alcohol involved or not. So I wouldn't read too much into that.

I agree bonds are not meant to punish the families of most criminals but this one is a little different. The judge in the original trial ruled that the family of Ethan Couch was responsible for what happened to the innocent victims he killed.

JMO

Actually, didn't the transcripts show that the judge specifically said EC's parents couldn't be blamed for his actions?

"In delivering the sentence, Boyd told the victims' families in the packed courtroom that there was nothing she could do that would lessen their pain. And she told the teen that he, not his parents, is responsible for his actions.

In any case, what one judge said before doesn't have much to do with established bail standards.

Agreed that TC would not do well behind bars, I don't think. So it would be satisfying to see that happen.

The Star-Telegram adds that "Scott Brown, an attorney who represented the teen with Reagan Wynn, said the teen could have been freed in two years if Boyd had sentenced him to 20 years. 'She fashioned a sentence that could have him under the thumb of the justice system for the next 10 years,' Brown said."

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...r-teen-who-killed-4-heres-the-judges-thinking

BBM

Scott Gordon NBC5 posted a twitter that TC's hearing has been postponed until 2 p.m. I guess her lawyer is stuck in traffic again.

Or maybe TC needed a little more sleep in that awful, horrible jail.

WFAA-TV Retweeted
Dee Anderson ‏@SheriffAnderson 20m20 minutes ago
Got word Tonya Couch"s bond has been posted. Barring any unseen delays she will be released tomorrow morning after getting monitor.

As predicted, not hard for her to get a hold of $7500.

Yes. If she had an extra 30K in her checking account that she had tried to withdraw but couldn't, that would easily cover the 7500. I don't think she has a lot of money. In the divorce, she'll get half the assets, but I don't think she has that right now.

My guess is, she'll be released in the wee hours tonight. I sense this judge doesn't want a horde of nosey rosies hanging out at the jail with their cameras and goofy grins.

I dont understand it either. My father tried to choke the life out of me at 16. I was fearful,afraid, untrusting but love hmmmm NO.
Maybe its just a mom thing?

It's only little bitty kids who have no idea about the world who cling to abusive parents. In the case mentioned earlier, Diane Down's daughter, she was maybe 6 years old. Older kids - and teens - who are beaten or assaulted or with attempted murder don't cling to their parents. Obviously there are exceptions, but to think that Ethan's older brother who is now married with kids is clinging to an abusive mother because he's too dumb to know better is just wrong thinking, IMHO.

I'm sorry this awful thing happened to you.

In the first part of your argument, you're making a statistical point. In the second you are speaking ad hominem. Your statistical argument correlates lower SES with lower IQ. That is an assertion, since you claim it is true. Since you claim your point of view is true, I took it for granted that you meant it.

All statistics fail at the level of the individual...

Your point reminds me of a book called "The Bell Curve" as well as some recent SCOTUS statements about who ought not to be qualifying for UT. I thought we were past all that.

This is COMPLETELY off -topic, but The Bell Curve is getting another serious look as programs that take underprivileged kids from cradle to middle school aren't working to achieve mainstream academic outcomes. We aren't past all that. What the Bell Curve espoused - that people with greater ability and intelligence tended to move up from poverty rather than remaining in poverty for generations is proving true. What seems patently obvious to anyone looking at the problem, (but we refuse to say it as it's unkind) is being proven true statistically and historically. You might be interested in reading Whatever It Takes by Paul Tough. Trying so hard to disprove The Bell Curve, in the end of an exhaustive effort, kids in multigenerational poverty are still not achieving at an average level even though many agencies are throwing millions of dollars at the problem and doing "whatever it takes".

But again, far afield from the topic of Tonya Couch who did seem to rise out of poverty or at least teenage single pregnancy in one generation. I guess it didn't serve her all that well in the end.

It's only little bitty kids who have no idea about the world who cling to abusive parents. In the case mentioned earlier, Diane Down's daughter, she was maybe 6 years old. Older kids - and teens - who are beaten or assaulted or with attempted murder don't cling to their parents. Obviously there are exceptions, but to think that Ethan's older brother who is now married with kids is clinging to an abusive mother because he's too dumb to know better is just wrong thinking, IMHO.

I'm sorry this awful thing happened to you.
So true. I am 51 to and have alot of difficulty getting along with my mother due to her actions/decisions when I was a child.

I love her but forgiveness is a whole other matter.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

She should've been on a no-bail status, as she's a flight risk.:banghead::banghead::banghead::behindbar:behindbar:behindbar Who wants to guess how soon she'll flee back to Mexico???

She should've been on a no-bail status, as she's a flight risk.:banghead::banghead::banghead::behindbar:behindbar:behindbar Who wants to guess how soon she'll flee back to Mexico???

No. She shouldn't have been on "no bail status". That's reserved for mass murderers, when the minute you release them they're killing again. No bail status is reserved for men (or unlikely, women) who will immediately kill again. Even Kenneth McDuff, who proved he would kill women the moment he was released in Texas, was not on "no bail status".

No. She shouldn't have been on "no bail status". That's reserved for mass murderers, when the minute you release them they're killing again. No bail status is reserved for men (or unlikely, women) who will immediately kill again. Even Kenneth McDuff, who proved he would kill women the moment he was released in Texas, was not on "no bail status".

I think she'll return to court as required. She has an ankle bracelet and no passport. IMO her lawyers will either beat this charge or negotiate a deal for her to serve only minimal jail time.

Tonya is a lot of things but one thing she is not is a crazy dangerous murderer about to be on the loose.
I realize this is what many are sick of - why are Ethan and Tonya Couch the center of attention in the media???!!! When there are disgusting serial killers on the loose. I get that for sure and no Tonya is nowhere near the worst of the worst in that regard.

But at the same time, no Tonya should never have been given bail. Not because she fits in with the murderers and real dangerous psychos out there but because she is a flight risk plain and simple. Her charge directly stems from her helping a wanted fugitive responsible for killing 4 people stay out of the eyes of law enforcement. Unacceptable and a complete flight risk.

Color matters people. Had TC been Latina, African American or gods forbid, a muslimah, she would be spending many a night in the slammer.

I think she'll return to court as required. She has an ankle bracelet and no passport. IMO her lawyers will either beat this charge or negotiate a deal for her to serve only minimal jail time.

Rather she claims she has no passport because it was lost.

Do you really think that Mexico wants her any more than we do?

DM article - photo of TC's son:

'Affluenza' teen's mom posts bond and is set to be released after his older brother told court her bank balance is 'negative $99billion' to get bail reduced

Steven McWilliams, 26, the half-brother of 'affluenza' teen Ethan Couch, insisted his mom Tonya Couch is broke during a court hearing

Her attorneys asked for her bail to be dropped from $1million to $15,000

However after testimony the judge ruled that it would be $75,000

She has paid the bond and Couch will be released Tuesday after she's fitted with an electronic ankle monitor

Ethan had killed four people while drunk behind the wheel of his car in 2010 and was sentenced to 10 years probation

He fled with his mom to Mexico after video surfaced of him at a boozy party which would have been in violation of his probation

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...99billion-bid-bail-reduced.html#ixzz3x26Oj4vv

Tonya is a lot of things but one thing she is not is a crazy dangerous murderer about to be on the loose.
I realize this is what many are sick of - why are Ethan and Tonya Couch the center of attention in the media???!!! When there are disgusting serial killers on the loose. I get that for sure and no Tonya is nowhere near the worst of the worst in that regard.

But at the same time, no Tonya should never have been given bail. Not because she fits in with the murderers and real dangerous psychos out there but because she is a flight risk plain and simple. Her charge directly stems from her helping a wanted fugitive responsible for killing 4 people stay out of the eyes of law enforcement. Unacceptable and a complete flight risk.

OK maybe not a murderer, but two out of three ain't bad... or is it? I don't think letting her out is a great idea either. But I doubt she'll be out long, she doesn't seem able to follow rules, or play nicely with others.

DM article about missing dog Virgil:

EXCLUSIVE: Dog belonging to 'affluenza' teen Ethan Couch is MISSING in Mexico -$1,000 reward offered to find Virgil the Saarloos Wolf-dog

Ethan Couch and his mother Tonya fled Fort Worth in early December along with $30,000, two handguns and their dog Virgil

The Saarloos Wolfdog is now missing on the streets of Puerto Vallarta

Virgil hasn't been seen since the mother and son were arrested in Mexico on December 28

In a note posted in Spanish on the Puerto Vallarta SPCA Facebook page, a relative said the dog went missing near Calle Colombia

That is the road where Ethan and Tonya Couch were living when they were arrested - now fears are growing about what has happened to it

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-Virgil-Saarloos-Wolfdog.html#ixzz3x27ga2N9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bella257