GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dallas local news reports that TC's bond was lowered to 75K.

Jim Douglas at WFAA @wfaajdouglas twitter:

"Judge Salvant says he's still worried about Couch's missing passport. She said lost after arrested."

Unbelievable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim Douglas at WFAA @wfaajdouglas twitter:

"Judge Salvant says he's still worried about Couch's missing passport. She said lost after arrested."

It's hard to believe she would have access to it. I'm sure they didn't let her pack a suitcase when headed for Mexican jail. She has been in custody since they arrested her in Mexico and is still in jail - meaning, she has no access to any of her belongings, even her jewelry or her own underwear. That her passport has not been returned to her is a given.

Call me a dummy, but how is a $1M bond amount excessive for a mother who's son received probation after killing 4 people because he was so privileged and spoiled that he couldn't be responsible for his actions.

I think you might be misunderstanding what bond is for, and how the behaviors of her now adult son are not really her behaviors. Bond is not intended to punish the family members of criminals.

Her crime is a class c felony, and apparently that usually merits a 10K bond. In her case, it appears she's more of a flight risk so hers is 7 times that amount.

First of all, I don't believe her BS that she doesn't know where any of her possessions are including her passport & whatever money she had with her. It is reported that she tried to take $60,000.00 from her bank account before she left. She was not able to do that because her limit was $30,000.00 per day. She now claims she doesn't know where any of her money is. BS, once again. And if her attorneys are claiming that she is indigent, how in the heck is she going to be paying them? Of course they may bee handling this case pro bono. If they can keep her from doing the 2-10 for this offense, they will have every crook in north Texas & southern Oklahoma flocking to their door. This case could be good publicity for them.

First of all, I don't believe her BS that she doesn't know where any of her possessions are including her passport & whatever money she had with her. It is reported that she tried to take $60,000.00 from her bank account before she left. She was not able to do that because her limit was $30,000.00 per day. She now claims she doesn't know where any of her money is. BS, once again. And if her attorneys are claiming that she is indigent, how in the heck is she going to be paying them? Of course they may bee handling this case pro bono. If they can keep her from doing the 2-10 for this offense, they will have every crook in north Texas & southern Oklahoma flocking to their door. This case could be good publicity for them.

I don't know if you've ever been arrested before, but there is no way she now has possession of anything she had when they arrested her. From what I understand, she was in her truck when she and Ethan were apprehended.

When you enter the jail, you are relieved of any possessions at all that you had. In the US (don't know if it's shakier in Mexico) her car with possessions inside would be towed. If she had an asthma inhaler or some other kind of emergency medication, that would be taken and be made available to her. Otherwise, her car would be towed (at great expense to her) to an impound lot where she would be charged money each day it wasn't picked up, and her possessions would be locked inside it. Maybe her purse and wallet would be taken to the jail, but not in her possession. Once inside the jail and booked in, she would have to strip naked, surrender all her jewelry or other possessions and clothing and underwear. She would be allowed to keep eyeglasses and usually dental retainers or false teeth, if any. And that's it.

So I don't know how she'd have her passport - she's still in custody. She has no possessions, not even earrings.

Call me a dummy, but how is a $1M bond amount excessive for a mother who's son received probation after killing 4 people because he was so privileged and spoiled that he couldn't be responsible for his actions.

His offense is irrelevant (in terms of the law), other than his charge being a felony, as to what is "reasonable" bail for her charge -- a third degree felony under Texas statutes.

I'm looking for a current Tarrant County bond schedule, but am having difficulty locating one.

Personally, I wish the judge had set the bail higher and am of the opinion that he could have done so.

I believe the county has the option to appeal the decision as to whether it is "sufficiently high" enough -- see below.

My point in bringing in the 8th Amendment is that courts do have restraints when it comes to setting bail amounts.

One observation -- the county hurt their case with their argument that they were requesting a high bail to "get her attention."

From the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure:

Art. 17.15. RULES FOR FIXING AMOUNT OF BAIL. The amount of bail to be required in any case is to be regulated by the court, judge, magistrate or officer taking the bail; they are to be governed in the exercise of this discretion by the Constitution and by the following rules:

1. The bail shall be sufficiently high to give reasonable assurance that the undertaking will be complied with.

2. The power to require bail is not to be so used as to make it an instrument of oppression.

3. The nature of the offense and the circumstances under which it was committed are to be considered.

4. The ability to make bail is to be regarded, and proof may be taken upon this point.

5. The future safety of a victim of the alleged offense and the community shall be considered.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/CR/htm/CR.17.htm

Looks like it worked. Geez !

FOX 4 News
1 min ·
‪#‎BREAKING‬ ~ Tarrant County judge reduces Tonya Couch bond to $75,000 from $1 million.... http://bit.ly/1JGaAWK

I hope the son didn't make a huge mistake. Her interests starts and stops with her and Ethan and no one else. He's taking on a huge responsibility with helping this loon. I don't believe this was in the best interest of his wife and kids.:moo:

I hope the son didn't make a huge mistake. Her interests starts and stops with her and Ethan and no one else. He's taking on a huge responsibility with helping this loon. I don't believe this was in the best interest of his wife and kids.:moo:

I hate to keep arguing here (really, I do) but how could you possibly have any idea how she feels about this son? Obviously, he AND his wife are in agreement that she can live with them, and he's willing to step forward and get his name wrapped up in this horrible extremely public mess.

@StarTelegram

Conditions Tonya Couch bond include:: weekly reporting, stay with her other son, drug testing, no guns, pay fees, electronic monitor.

I don't know if you've ever been arrested before, but there is no way she now has possession of anything she had when they arrested her. From what I understand, she was in her truck when she and Ethan were apprehended.

When you enter the jail, you are relieved of any possessions at all that you had. In the US (don't know if it's shakier in Mexico) her car with possessions inside would be towed. If she had an asthma inhaler or some other kind of emergency medication, that would be taken and be made available to her. Otherwise, her car would be towed (at great expense to her) to an impound lot where she would be charged money each day it wasn't picked up, and her possessions would be locked inside it. Maybe her purse and wallet would be taken to the jail, but not in her possession. Once inside the jail and booked in, she would have to strip naked, surrender all her jewelry or other possessions and clothing and underwear. She would be allowed to keep eyeglasses and usually dental retainers or false teeth, if any. And that's it.

So I don't know how she'd have her passport - she's still in custody. She has no possessions, not even earrings.

Well, now that you mention it, no, I have never been arrested. Somehow, I've always managed to obey the law, even if I don't agree with some of them.

Well, now that you mention it, no, I have never been arrested. Somehow, I've always managed to obey the law, even if I don't agree with some of them.

I haven't been arrested either - but I did go through the prison volunteer program very recently and I was apprised of the procedures that those who are arrested go through. First, it's highly unlikely she'd lie that she doesn't know where her truck and passport are, and in fact, she absolutely does not have the passport in her possession.

Having worked for 13 years with emotionally disturbed & abused children, it was always amazing to me that no matter what horrors they suffered at the hands of their mother, the kids never stopped loving her. It's really quite pitiful.

@ttsiaperas (Tasha Tsiaperas -- Dallas Morning News)

Judge orders attorneys may not speak to media. Mentions faxes, email, Facebook "and whatever else we have."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heypig06