GUILTY TX - Ethan Couch 'Affluenza Teen' DUI driver who killed four gets probation, 2013 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have the best judicial system in the world but it is far from prefect. .

Respectfully snipped for content.

I don't want to drag this discussion really far afield, and I agree that the US justice system is about the best there is, BUT, I still think it's the craziest most ineffective way to arrive at a decision you could possibly dream up.

Imagine that you're trying to decide whether to buy a Honda Civic. You would never put two opposing people in front of you, each with their own agenda and desire to win you over. One of the opponents is likely to be much less skilled than the other, it's random. There are strict rules of what they can say and what they can't, and you can't ask any questions or ask your friends for their opinions or research it on your own time. Yet, that's what we're asking jurors to do. It's an insane way to try to arrive at the truth of the matter.

Better, IMHO, to do it the way every normal person makes decisions. That is, have sources available that are trustworthy and can give good information, research the matter yourself, ask questions, have available ALL the information and have nothing stricken from the record.

I, too, thought that's what you meant, namely lower socioeconomic status, lower IQ.

TC told the judge she was competent, anyway. She even giggled.

Nope, I was addressing a comment that said that people of higher SES tend to have higher IQ's, due to factors such as money to provide education, nutrition, health care, etc. This is a true statement. My statement was simply that she would not have had those IQ boosting advantages because she did not grow up privileged. Nowhere does it assert that people who are not high SES are automatically of low IQ.

Based on her actions, both now and in the remote past, TC does not appear to be blessed with good judgment or a high IQ. It doesn't sound as if she grew up in an environment which stressed the importance of education, higher thought processes, or personal instrospection. If she turns out to be eligible for MENSA, I will be surprised indeed.

Nope, I was addressing a comment that said that people of higher SES tend to have higher IQ's, due to factors such as money to provide education, nutrition, health care, etc. This is a true statement. My statement was simply that she would not have had those IQ boosting advantages because she did not grow up privileged. Nowhere does it assert that people who are not high SES are automatically of low IQ.

Based on her actions, both now and in the remote past, TC does not appear to be blessed with good judgment or a high IQ. It doesn't sound as if she grew up in an environment which stressed the importance of education, higher thought processes, or personal instrospection. If she turns out to be eligible for MENSA, I will be surprised indeed.

Can one have a high IQ and not have good judgement? Why not?

Can one have a high IQ and not have good judgement? Why not?

Absolutely one can. We probably all know individuals who can ace standardized tests, but go on to display an appalling lack of common sense.

And one can have poor judgment and low intelligence. Put them together and you have an individual like Tonya Couch. She used poor judgment and then displayed a spectacular lack of intelligence in how she implemented her poor judgment. Pretty much anyone could have found these two "in hiding" without going to too much trouble.

We have the best judicial system in the world but it is far from prefect. People with money are always going to have a much better likelihood of being acquitted. In my opinion there are several reason, but I will list two. First and I don’t think this can be overstated, they can afford the best lawyers. In the case of the poor kid that killed one person he likely had one public defender without much experience. That public defender likely has a huge case load and can’t spend nearly the time required to mount a proper defense. In the case of Ethan Couch, I’m guessing he had an experienced “Law Firm” work on his case. They would have had a whole staff of people helping to get him acquitted. They are working hard to get their client little or no jail time and they are good at what they do. They have resources that the public defender could only dream of.
My second point is that I think people tend to place the wealthy above the rest of us working class folks. They tend to be more educated (perhaps not in this case) then us, dress nicer and so on. This type thing can sway people’s judgment even if only subconsciously. Remember that judges are not poor people. They are well paid and well educated and even though they are required to by unbiased, I’m sure that they can relate more to the wealthy person that they don’t see very often in their court much more than the poor people that they see day in and day out.
I think that the two things I listed are far more likely the cause of the disparity in the verdicts the bribery. I don’t know this judge and I’m not a supported but I would need some actual evidence that a bribery took place before I’m willing to call it such and I’m not even sure that the Couch family has the kind of money that it would take to outright bribe a judge

A little story to demonstrate my reasoning:
A good friend of mine was in sales and needed to wear a suit when visiting clients. He’s not a wealthy person what so ever. One day he was at the car dealership getting his car serviced. He is standing in line behind a man wearing jeans and a T-shirt. The guy in front tells the service manager he will need a loaner car. When it’s my friends turn, he tells the same service manager he will need a loaner car. Only one of them were given a loaner car. My friend was convinced it was because he was wearing a suit. Some may disagree, but he has countless stories of being treated better when wearing a suit then when wearing jeans. I think that perception counts more than we would like to think.

Yes, yes, and yes.

I signed the petition. There are now 3730 signatures.

Scott Gordon NBC5 posted a twitter that TC's hearing has been postponed until 2 p.m. I guess her lawyer is stuck in traffic again.

So it's been 1/2 an hour now - anything happening in Tonya's hearing?

TIA! :wave:

Scott Gordon NBC5 posted a twitter that TC's hearing has been postponed until 2 p.m.
I guess her lawyer is stuck in traffic again.

Oh no - not again! :laughing:

I can't get sound either. It is also on CNN. I just discovered that. Right now I know nothing. They are on a commercial break.

Now CNN has switched to other news. TC's son from a previous relationship is on the stand. If released on bond, TC will live with him, his wife, & 2 children.

This hearing is like watching paint dry. TC's attorneys are asking every nonsensical question they can think of. We'll be lucky to know anything until midnight, JMO.

Why are they talking about community property of her marriage ? In regards to whether she can afford bond ?

Sounds to me like she wants to feign indigence so she can get a lower bond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heypig06