TX - Five dead, including 8 yr old, in Cleveland home, suspect armed with AR-15 style rifle, active investigation, 28 Apr 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
There was that man who was shot dead for using a leaf blower in the past couple of days. I hate leaf blowers and applaud communities that ban the loud, gas-powered ones, but really? We kill each other over these things?

We stand at over 170 mass killings in the US since January. Possibly a world record.

IMO.
IMO the shooting wasn't over a leaf-blower (in your example that happened recently)... it was likely over being told what, or what not to do. Same with this guy in this particular shooting. I'll bet it was over being told what to do. People seem to be getting very edgy these days. JMO

With that said... if my neighbor was shooting an AR-15 style weapon in the yard, even if 4am... I am NOT going to go out and confront him. Even using my best manners and biggest smile on my face. People are really getting to be quite violent. I'd stay away from windows, and that part of the house while it was going on, and try to physically lie low. Then I'd find a new neighborhood to live in with the quickness.

Once I was a yard from my front window and head a LOUD boom like a bomb. You've never seen anyone drop to the ground as fast as I did, and crawled on hands and knees to the phone in the other room to call the police. There was no way in heck I'd open my door and go outside and ask them not to do that, even nicely. Some things you just don't do! Just sayin'. lol

Last edited:
IMO the shooting wasn't over a leaf-blower (in your example that happened recently)... it was likely over being told what, or what not to do. Same with this guy in this particular shooting. I'll bet it was over being told what to do. People seem to be getting very edgy these days. JMO

With that said... if my neighbor was shooting an AR-15 style weapon in the yard, even if 4am... I am NOT going to go out and confront him. Even using my best manners and biggest smile on my face. People are really getting to be quite violent. I'd stay away from windows, and that part of the house while it was going on, and try to physically lie low. Then I'd find a new neighborhood to live in with the quickness.

Once I was a yard from my front window and head a LOUD boom like a bomb. You've never seen anyone drop to the ground as fast as I did, and crawled on hands and knees to the phone in the other room to call the police. There was no way in heck I'd open my door and go outside and ask them not to do that, even nicely. Some things you just don't do! Just sayin'. lol

The BBC article says that the police were always called about gunfire in the neighborhood but never did anything. All the same, I'd not confront someone like that directly. The Daily Mail article also mentioned he was drunk at the time.

I'm guessing that moving was not a viable option for the family. They were a family of ten from Honduras living together in a neighborhood where gunfire is common so I'm assuming they didn't have the money to move to a safer neighborhood. They probably spent all their money trying to move to a safer country than Honduras.

Police have lost the trail of the gunman. They fear he may have a weapon.

Police have lost the trail of the gunman. They fear he may have a weapon.

What a nightmare!

No, I wouldn’t confront him either but maybe they had called and not gotten a response and figured he would understand as it was late and they had a baby…

Capers said they found clothes and a phone while combing a rural area that includes dense layers of forest but that tracking dogs had lost the scent.

“He could be anywhere now,” Capers said.

Capers said there were 10 people in the house — some of whom had just moved there earlier in the week — but that that no one else was injured. He said two of the victims were found in a bedroom laying over two children in an apparent attempt to shield them.

A total of three children found covered in blood in the home were taken to a hospital but found to be uninjured, Capers said.

FBI spokesperson Christina Garza said investigators do not believe everyone at the home were members of a single family. The victims were identified as Sonia Argentina Guzman, 25; Diana Velazquez Alvarado, 21; Julisa Molina Rivera, 31; Jose Jonathan Casarez, 18; and Daniel Enrique Laso, 8.

Honduras' foreign minister, Enrique Reina, said on social media, "We demand that the full weight of the law be applied against those who are responsible for this crime," adding that the Honduran consulate in Houston is making contact with the families of the victims as it learns more about the investigation.

Last edited:
“We know him by name, date of birth. We’ve got his Mexican consulate card. Plus, there was a ring doorbell on the victim’s house that we actually captured him coming up to the front door with with the weapon,” Capers said. Capers said they have had previous calls to Oropeza’s home regarding him shooting his rifle in the yard.

“I can’t tell you how many times we’ve had a call out here, but we have researched a little bit of that. And we have found some prior history at these residence,” he said.

Capers said Oropeza had an AR15 style rifle along with at least two other weapons found inside his home. He also said they are interviewing Oropeza’s wife.

According to DPS records, Oropeza does have an arrest for DWI in 2009.

He isn't stupid. Sounds like he dumped his cell phone and his clothes, so dogs lost his tracks and police can't track him by his cell phone. My guess he is already in Mexico by now.
He may have initially contacted associates to get him out...If thats the case I wonder what the associates thought when it hit the news what he had done?

I'll bet it was over being told what to do.
Quite possibly.

Then again, there might have been mixed motives to the shooting centered on who told him what to do.

The apparent perpetrator is Mexican. The victims are Honduran. Hispanics as a group have the same propensity for ethnic and racial prejudice as any other group of humans.

Not every Mexican views Hondurans and Guatemalans as equals. The fact that Guatemalans can be prone to have indigenous background- or be fully indigenous and some Hondurans have black features does not help. The victims appeared to have regular Hispanic 'metizo' features. But, they were still Hondurans.

The possibility of bias as an additional motive is pure speculation on my part. In the end, however, ability in Spanish coupled with living in an overwhelmingly Hispanic area while being white has allowed me to be a "fly on the wall" on occasions.

Not everything I have heard in Spanish about the increasing number of Hondurans in my area as been warm and welcoming- to say the least. The fact that recent Honduran arrivals, like any recent immigrants, are willing to do "more for less" employment wise might not help the situation either.

“We know him by name, date of birth. We’ve got his Mexican consulate card. Plus, there was a ring doorbell on the victim’s house that we actually captured him coming up to the front door with with the weapon,” Capers said. Capers said they have had previous calls to Oropeza’s home regarding him shooting his rifle in the yard.

“I can’t tell you how many times we’ve had a call out here, but we have researched a little bit of that. And we have found some prior history at these residence,” he said.

Capers said Oropeza had an AR15 style rifle along with at least two other weapons found inside his home. He also said they are interviewing Oropeza’s wife.

According to DPS records, Oropeza does have an arrest for DWI in 2009.
I think his wife is very lucky to be alive.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back