Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
poco said:
I tend to blame the husband to a degree.

I blame the husband too, but she was the one who planned and actually carried out the methodical and brutal murders.

I will say it again. Just because someone suffers from mental disease does not mean they do not know right from wrong.

Insanity is a fact question -- that's the kind our system lets a jury resolve . . . and her jury resolved it.

A second one will as well.

I followed this case as well. It was such a horrible thing to do. She apparently knew what she had done for she called the police and confessed to the killings. This is one case where I didn't think the death peanalty was deserved. I think she should have been locked away in a mental hospital.

I also don't understand why she was only convicted for 3 counts of murder when she actually murdered all 5 of her children.

In the first place, the conviction was overturned because of a problem with one of the expert witnesses. Not because the appellate court thinks she's mentally ill. Secondly, she is NOT going to be released from prision. She's still a danger to herself and others. They will most likely retry her, but she'll spend the time either in a jail/prison of some sort or a mental hospital. Since she had a clear and long history of mental issues, its my wish that the prosecutor will agree to having her committed to a mental institution for the remainder of her life. While she may not be suicidal at this moment due to the medication she's on, she has, at least three times in prison already, either talked about suicide or tried it.

As another poster said, since Yates' trial, at least three mothers who murdered their children have been found not guilty by reason of insanity. Two of these women had absolutely NO history of mental illness whatsoever. If Yates doesn't fit the definition of mentally insane, its worthless in my opinion. I don't believe she should ever be free to walk amongst us, but neither should she be in prison either.

PaperDoll said:
I also don't understand why she was only convicted for 3 counts of murder when she actually murdered all 5 of her children.
''

Doll, its not uncommon for the prosecution seeking the death penalty to leave an "out." Had she been acquitted of the first three murders, they would have another chance by trying her for the other two murders. She was eligible for capital punishment both times.

TexMex said:
I wish they'd put Ol' Rusty Yates on trial with her this time :banghead:
The man found her in a bathroom with a knife to her neck then gets her pregnant a couple of more times :mad:
Absolutely ! It should have happened the first time around.

Jeana (DP) said:
''

Doll, its not uncommon for the prosecution seeking the death penalty to leave an "out." Had she been acquitted of the first three murders, they would have another chance by trying her for the other two murders. She was eligible for capital punishment both times.
Thanks for clearning this up for me, Jeana ;)

Sleuth said:
Just because someone suffers from a mental illness does NOT mean they do not know right from wrong.

She waits until her husband leaves and kills her children (methodically and brutally) before her mother-in-law shows up and then calls the police and her husband.

She knew what she was doing, she knew it was wrong, and hopefully she will stay in prison where she richly deserves to be.

Sleuth:

Don't know if you read my post but I totally agree.

Sleuth said:
I highly doubt it.

She deserves to be in prison and I imagine a second jury (if it even comes to that) will send her there.

Just because someone suffers from a mental illness DOES NOT MEAN they cannot differentiate between right and wrong.

She is a cold-blooded murderer of the worst kind.

I have to say I agree with you Sleuth and I hope I don't offend anyone here as I respect all of your opinions. This is just my personal opinion. She may have some problems upstairs but she methodically planned out the killings, one by one. From running the bath water to calling in or dragging in her children to drown them. When I read about the oldest one coming in after she called him in and then him realizing what she was doing and then him running to get away from her and her chasing him around the house, it made me ill and to this day I still cry when I think of all those children being murdered by their own mother. She knew what she was doing - mental illness or no mental illness. I don't sympathize with this woman whatsover. She killed her own children. Whether they lock her up in a mental institution or return her to prison, I really don't care - but as long as she never takes a step outside of the bounds, that's fine with me. As far as Randy goes - he was an ignorant, selfish, controlling husband who should have seen the warning signs long before this happend.

Another point to add that she knew what she was doing was wrong.

Besides calling 911 she also called Rusty at work and told him he needed to come home now. He asked was something wrong with the kids and she said yes.

If you look at the pictures of Andrea when she was picked up/when she was on trial/look at they eyes ,you can tell by looking she was mentally ill. She suffered severe depression after the birth of each child, and Rusty kept right on getting her pregnant...he is MORE to blame for those children dying than Andrea...she was ILL regardless of the fact she planned and carried out the murders...she wasn't thinking rationally...no one who hasn't experienced depression has no way of judging how damaging the effects of it are. She was 'hearing voices' -- she was unable to reason the difference between truth and fantasy... She deserves to be where she can get help not in prison...I followed this case when it happened, and always thought there was a miscarriage of justice in her case. Someone should 'fix' Rusty before he reproduces and puts another woman through having as many kids as God will alllow....

I was always bothered by this case because of the conduct of her husband and by the prosecution in seeking the death penalty when she was so obviously sick.

Now I'm REALLY steamed because it turns out that the prosecution's witness LIED. Not a little mistake... a big fat lie. He said that maybe Andrea had been influenced by seeing an episode of Law & Order in which a woman drowns her kids and is found to be insane. No such episode existed!! Regardless of how you feel about what she did, no one should be convicted based on perjured testimony.

While insanity does not necessarily make someone inable to "tell right from wrong" and while she certainly did carry things out in a methodical fashion, I believe she was following the orders she was hearing in her head. If "the voices" told her to call her husband and call 911, then that's what she did. I also believe that she would certainly have killed herself soon after the whole episode if she had not been taken into custody.

I also agree that Rusty should visit the urologist for a little nip and tuck before he produces another litter.

Casshew said:
Overturned on what basis? psychological problems? maybe they will give her a new trial or commit her to a psychiatric hospital.

Personally, I know what she did was absolutely horrific, but I think she is sick in the head and should be committed. Not like that b!tch Susan Smith who knew exacty what she was doing. :hand:

I'm listening right now Cass. That is the intention, to get her released to a mental facility. It really sucks to be Andrea. Now don't get me started on Susan Smith. My in-laws live not to far from Union, and her ex-husband works in the town they live in. People mostly mind their own business about it and let him live his life the best he can. I hope she dies in prison and burns in hell. No, I think that she should be buried in a car that is driven into the dark, murky, muddy waters, and left there forever. I would love to meet her slutty little southern *advertiser censored* face to face.

luthersmama said:
I was always bothered by this case because of the conduct of her husband and by the prosecution in seeking the death penalty when she was so obviously sick.

Now I'm REALLY steamed because it turns out that the prosecution's witness LIED. Not a little mistake... a big fat lie. He said that maybe Andrea had been influenced by seeing an episode of Law & Order in which a woman drowns her kids and is found to be insane. No such episode existed!! Regardless of how you feel about what she did, no one should be convicted based on perjured testimony.

While insanity does not necessarily make someone inable to "tell right from wrong" and while she certainly did carry things out in a methodical fashion, I believe she was following the orders she was hearing in her head. If "the voices" told her to call her husband and call 911, then that's what she did. I also believe that she would certainly have killed herself soon after the whole episode if she had not been taken into custody.

I also agree that Rusty should visit the urologist for a little nip and tuck before he produces another litter.

I COMPLETELY agree with everything you just said. All of it. Especially the nip and tuck... LOLLL

luthersmama said:

Weeeee Hooooo ! Couldn't have said it better, myself !

Great post, luthersmama ! I totally agree !

Gabby said:
If you look at the pictures of Andrea when she was picked up/when she was on trial/look at they eyes ,you can tell by looking she was mentally ill.
"They" say that your eyes are the windows to your soul.. She looked very ill. Her hair as well..

I think she wanted to kill her children before she actually did. I read this somewhere, and then she finally succeeded. The doctors had told them to stop having more kids so there was a problem here and this is why I also think her husband should take some of this blame..

I think Rusty is culpible too, Paperdoll. Unfortunately, there's no statues in the law, as yet, that make fathers responsible for allowing his mentaly ill wife to have the complete control of his children. That only happens once he's divorced her and wants out of the child support.

luthersmama said:

The jury was instructed by the judge before they received the case for deliberations that no such episode from Law and Order existed.

She was not convicted on perjured testimony since the jury was made aware of the error.

Sleuth said:
The jury was instructed by the judge before they received the case for deliberations that no such episode from Law and Order existed.

She was not convicted on perjured testimony since the jury was made aware of the error.

As the saying goes, "You can't un-ring the bell". There is no excuse for a prosecution witness to lie, especially in a death penalty case. Mistakes might be forgiveable, but not an out-and-out lie. It casts doubt on his entire opinion. He should be spanked. :slap:

luthersmama said:
As the saying goes, "You can't un-ring the bell". There is no excuse for a prosecution witness to lie, especially in a death penalty case. Mistakes might be forgiveable, but not an out-and-out lie. It casts doubt on his entire opinion. He should be spanked. :slap:

I find that I am incorrect. The jury was not informed that the episode didn't exist until the penalty phase. I still agree with the prosecution that the "mistake", as Doctor Dietz calls it (this testimony was elicited by the defense, not the the prosecution!), was not material to the case and there was plenty of other evidence that Yates planned to kill her children.

The jury found her legally sane at the time of her actions. I have no doubt that she was. She knew what she was doing and she deserves to rot in prison.

I also have no doubt that if it gets that far, another jury will convict her again.

But the full 12 panel appeals court still has to hear this case.

peggy said:
Matt (Today program) just spoke with her mother and defense attorney--mom said she last spoke with Andrea three weeks ago and she is "much better." Apparently she was transferred to another facility few months ago and put on different medications and no longer on suicidal watch. When Matt asked mom if Andrea was a "changed person", she responded that she felt remorse but was "at peace." Defense attorney said he was surprised but not shocked about decision, but something about testimony from expert witness was shown to be not accurate and without same testimony at new trial, prosecution has weaker case.
They say "remorseful", which shows at least a current consciousness of guilt, and above all, she's at peace? That's disgusting. :sick:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TruthAndACoffee