TX - Five Yates children drowned, Houston, 20 June 2001 *Insanity*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If they decide she does not pose a threat to anyone I am guessing the state cannot stop her from having more children?

If they decide she does not pose a threat to anyone I am guessing the state cannot stop her from having more children?

Not any more than the state could have prevented Rusty from procreating. Wonder what kind of support, if any, he has provided his new "wife" and family.

I had 5 kids in 6 years... I had ti rough with no help and I had suicidal and homicidal thoughts I was diagnosed wtih post partum depression with psychosis tendencies . I had preemies in the NICU with a 20 month old at home we had therapies for 2 special needs kids every single day sometimes 5 appts a day. I got myself meds and dealt with things.. I didn't kill my kids. I think she should have been put in prison for the rest of her life.

You were fortunate. For some there is an insidious slide into PPD and rational thought and logic become impossible. Some aren't aware that they have a problem. And this is where Rusty and the rest of the family (excluding their children) failed her miserably. I hope she is able to live out the rest of her life with some measure of peace, although I doubt it.

I had 5 kids in 6 years... I had ti rough with no help and I had suicidal and homicidal thoughts I was diagnosed wtih post partum depression with psychosis tendencies . I had preemies in the NICU with a 20 month old at home we had therapies for 2 special needs kids every single day sometimes 5 appts a day. I got myself meds and dealt with things.. I didn't kill my kids. I think she should have been put in prison for the rest of her life.

I too became psychotic after giving birth to my son and like you, was also lucky enough to be able to control my impulses. But we are not all the same people, we are not all able to make the same choices, we are not all strong enough to fight our demons. We can't walk this earth and expect everyone to be able to react to and handle things the same way we do- we are all built of different things. This woman was a very very sick woman and she was weak, she was unable to win the fight against her demons for whatever reasons.. many of us lose our battle against mental illness, she lost hers in the worst imaginable way. My heart goes out to her.. I could have been her had I not been lucky enough to have a supportive family who pushed me to seek help and helped me raise my child during the time I was incapable. I can't even begin to imagine the pain she is in and will continue to be in every single day for the rest of her life as long as she is on her meds.

But, like you, I think she needs to remain locked up. I believe that if you take a life, sane or insane, you have lost your right to live in civilized society.

You were fortunate. For some there is an insidious slide into PPD and rational thought and logic become impossible. Some aren't aware that they have a problem. And this is where Rusty and the rest of the family (excluding their children) failed her miserably. I hope she is able to live out the rest of her life with some measure of peace, although I doubt it.

Amen.. ita.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/n...s-wants-weekly-freedom-to-worship-3440973.php
Defense attorney George Parnham said he expects Yates' doctors at Kerrville State Hospital to file a letter in the next week, asking the state district court in Houston to let Yates, now 47, leave for two hours weekly to attend services.

"We're now going to be asking for a pass for two hours," said Parnham, who hopes that eventually she'll be allowed to leave the state's care for good. State hospital physicians consider a patient's possible risk to the community before recommending a "therapeutic" pass, the first step toward a life beyond the hospital.

Read more: http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/n...-freedom-to-worship-3440973.php#ixzz1qRqnISky

I worry as much about how she'll be received in the world outside as I do how she herself will handle it. I truly wish her peace if she can find it, but I wonder if there's peace anywhere for her.

We are stronger than we think we are, and probably better at forgiving ourselves than we realize. Surely in the 11 intervening years she's had some therapy to help her measure how much of what happened is her responsibility and how much is not, and could never be. We all, live with ourselves one way or another. I can't imagine they'd even consider letting her go if she was still a suicide risk. 11 years is a long time.

I had a 10 month old when this happened. I couldn't give him a bath for months without thinking about her. It haunted me that badly, and I had no connection beyond living in the same state.

So sad.

I hope it is denied. I worried about this happening from the moment she was given a second trial and was released to a hospital. That one day they would set her free. I know she may have been ill, buit she planned what she did and she knew it was wrong.
She belongs locked up for the rest of her life. She may be given forgiveness when she meets her maker, but here, you do not take 5 innocent lives and then live the rest of your life doing as you please.
I wish she was never given the second trial, I think this world is way to soft on baby killers. Some day I hope I get to see that a childs life is worth as much as an adults. Some day!!

I hope it is denied. I worried about this happening from the moment she was given a second trial and was released to a hospital. That one day they would set her free. I know she may have been ill, buit she planned what she did and she knew it was wrong.
She belongs locked up for the rest of her life. She may be given forgiveness when she meets her maker, but here, you do not take 5 innocent lives and then live the rest of your life doing as you please.
I wish she was never given the second trial, I think this world is way to soft on baby killers. Some day I hope I get to see that a childs life is worth as much as an adults. Some day!!

I agree with you 100%.

Ill or not, she is/was 100% guilty of premeditated murder. She did not deserve a second trial IMO.

I worry as much about how she'll be received in the world outside as I do how she herself will handle it. I truly wish her peace if she can find it, but I wonder if there's peace anywhere for her.

We are stronger than we think we are, and probably better at forgiving ourselves than we realize. Surely in the 11 intervening years she's had some therapy to help her measure how much of what happened is her responsibility and how much is not, and could never be. We all, live with ourselves one way or another. I can't imagine they'd even consider letting her go if she was still a suicide risk. 11 years is a long time.

I had a 10 month old when this happened. I couldn't give him a bath for months without thinking about her. It haunted me that badly, and I had no connection beyond living in the same state.

So sad.

I totally agree with this. This was probably the only case that I sympathized with the murderer. She was so sick. Not to take away from the poor children at all, but I truly believe she deserves a chance. I don't think she will ever forgive herself now that she is healthy,and that she will never be free in her own mind and heart. This whole case was so heartbreaking.

hmmmmmmm, was just reading about AY in JVM book "Secrets can be Murder'.......
It seems her 'over' religion ways is what got to her pychosis?????
Hope she can understand this time around. MOO

:sheesh:

I wholeheartedly agree with you!

This woman had a history of not taking her prescribed medications for her mental disorders due in part to her religious beliefs and pressure from her husband.

She planned the murder of her five children and knew what she was doing!!!

Have you ever been in an environment for any period of time with an adult family member or friend who refuses to take their prescribed meds for mental disorders ... for whatever their reasons?? ... I have ... It is extremely unnerving. It is only a matter of time until an incident happens.

:shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead:

:sheesh:

I wholeheartedly agree with you!

This woman had a history of not taking her prescribed medications for her mental disorders due in part to her religious beliefs and pressure from her husband.

She planned the murder of her five children and knew what she was doing!!!

Have you ever been in an environment for any period of time with an adult family member or friend who refuses to take their prescribed meds for mental disorders ... for whatever their reasons?? ... I have ... It is extremely unnerving. It is only a matter of time until an incident happens.

:shakehead: :shakehead: :shakehead:
Yes, however, her doctor was equally as complicent in discontinuing her Haldol! You don't just suddenly not need this medication- it is a heavy duty anti-psychotic drug. It's like Thorazine- commonly referred to as elephant tranquilizer.
And Rusty had no business leaving her alone with the children for even 5 minutes, given her history!!!

Yes, however, her doctor was equally as complicent in discontinuing her Haldol! You don't just suddenly not need this medication- it is a heavy duty anti-psychotic drug. It's like Thorazine- commonly referred to as elephant tranquilizer.
And Rusty had no business leaving her alone with the children for even 5 minutes, given her history!!!

I noticed you have given me a "Thumbs Down" for this post ... which is your right, but I'm not sure what it is for.
I am not aware if Andrea was taken off certain medications by a particular doctor without researching her records.

In posting the statement about her history of going off her prescribed meds for her mental disorders ... that was only one of the reasons that I considered her guilty of murdering her five children. I lived in Texas at the time this murder was committed and we received excellent detailed local news coverage on this murder.

You will never read a "favorable" post by me concerning Rusty.

It's my understanding that many patients cease taking medication of their own volition simply because they feel better.

I've researched filicides for a quarter of a century now - beginning in 1987 with Diane Downs - and in my opinion this is the perfect storm of a psychotic filicide.

Andrea Yates' crimes fit all current research of psychotic filicide. Altruistic motive, older adult, past history of psychiatric illness, and multiple victims (among more markers). Further she also confessed immediately. When looking at non-psychotic filicides the differences are remarkably clear.

Both historically and currently women who commit filicide are treated much more gently than their male counterparts. I am the first one to hold women accountable for their crimes (in a way even I think mothers are even more culpable when they murder) but in this case and just a handful of others I truly believe the perpetrator was insane at the time of their actions.

I noticed you have given me a "Thumbs Down" for this post ... which is your right, but I'm not sure what it is for.
I am not aware if Andrea was taken off certain medications by a particular doctor without researching her records.

In posting the statement about her history of going off her prescribed meds for her mental disorders ... that was only one of the reasons that I considered her guilty of murdering her five children. I lived in Texas at the time this murder was committed and we received excellent detailed local news coverage on this murder.

You will never read a "favorable" post by me concerning Rusty.

I thumbs down the "she knew what she was doing".

She was legally insane. She was sending her kids to heaven. That's what she KNEW she was doing at the time. I feel so sorry for all involved and wish that more people understood what "insane" and "psychotic" and even "manic" mean. It would help people develop an understanding than simply "right and wrong" "black and white" allows.

I thumbs down the "she knew what she was doing".

She was legally insane. She was sending her kids to heaven. That's what she KNEW she was doing at the time. I feel so sorry for all involved and wish that more people understood what "insane" and "psychotic" and even "manic" mean. It would help people develop an understanding than simply "right and wrong" "black and white" allows.
I agree, I just don't believe in Andrea's case that the blame for the killings solely belongs with her. If Rusty and her doctor had taken better care of her, she wouldn't have been in a position to take the kids lives. She was "an accident waiting to happen", as the expression goes. She had threatened suicide a month earlier, IIRC.

Yates transferred to Kerrville State Hospital

From staff reports
The Daily Times Published January 27, 2007

Andrea Yates, the Houston woman who drowned her children in a bathtub, was moved on Wednesday to the Kerrville State Hospital.

Yates’ attorney George Parnham confirmed her move in a phone interview Friday morning with KRIV-TV, the Fox affiliate in Houston. The interview was posted on the station’s Web site.

Parnham said the move was based on the recommendation of her treatment team, which had evaluated her mental condition from 2001 through the present day.

“That information was presented to a board in Vernon,” Parnham said in the phone interview. “It was determined that Andrea was no longer a danger to anyone and was suitable for transfer to the Kerrville (State) Hospital.”

In 2001, Yates reportedly heard voices telling her to drown her children so they would be saved from going to hell. They were Noah, 7; John, 5; Luke, 3; Paul, 2; and Mary, 6 months.

The Kerrville State Hospital is a 202-bed facility that primarily serves forensic patients who have been found incompetent to stand trial.

State hospital administrators could not be reached late Friday.

Source: http://web.dailytimes.com/story.lasso?ewcd=555388a0e261363e

----------------
Andrea Yates has been moved to Houston Texas for a new trial. I read this on MSN news a few days ago.

----------------
Andrea Yates has been moved to Houston Texas for a new trial. I read this on MSN news a few days ago.

I'm confused. She already had a new trial and was found not guilty by reason of insanity, in 2006. She will not be tried again (that would be double jeopardy).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
panchoept