GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's scary to me that people think it's normal or not a big deal if an LE officer "displays moderate, casual racism" or considers posts about shooting people (not "stuff") merely "edgy".

Holy smokes.

I'm not saying it's normal or not a big deal, I'm saying it's not particularly relevant. Nothing about the aforementioned tells me anything new about AG's character that I already didn't know or could deduce just from the facts of the case.

Maybe tomorrow we're going to hear from the defense and hear tearful testimony from AG's family and friends about the time she got groceries for poor old granny Weatherwax who got ill and was bedridden, or how she is a great and considerate friend who donated her kidney to her best friends younger brother.

And you know what? All that would be equally irrelevant. I don't want to hear anecdotes about the time AG stole a brownie or the time she helped granny Weatherwax cross the street. When it comes to sentencing I want to hear a victim statement, general information about a defendant's life history, information regarding prior convictions (especially convictions for crimes similar to the one the defendant is being sentenced for), information about any mental illnesses and an up-to-date risk-assessment (very important!), which should all be gathered by an independent agency staffed by trained experts (social workers, psychologists and psychiatrists). All the rest is merely emotional pandering and way too open to manipulation.

I'm going to disagree with you on this. For me the moral compass is interesting here. I have never stolen a thing, or taken illegal drugs, or posted anything remotely racist (or offensive). And it's not my job to uphold law and order either.

That's the bottom line. Our LE personnel should be held to a higher standard of character and conduct than anyone else and yet here we have people saying it's just "moderate, casual racism" as if that's no big deal, and referring to people she talks about shooting as "stuff".

And this indeed shows we have a major problem in our country still.

I'm not saying it's normal or not a big deal, I'm saying it's not particularly relevant. Nothing about the aforementioned tells me anything new about AG's character that I already didn't know or could deduce just from the facts of the case.

Maybe tomorrow we're going to hear from the defense and hear tearful testimony from AG's family and friends about the time she got groceries for poor old granny Weatherwax who got ill and was bedridden, or how she is a great and considerate friend who donated her kidney to her best friends younger brother.

And you know what? All that would be equally irrelevant. I don't want to hear anecdotes about the time AG stole a brownie or the time she helped granny Weatherwax cross the street. When it comes to sentencing I want to hear a victim statement, general information about a defendant's life history, information regarding prior convictions (especially convictions for crimes similar to the one the defendant is being sentenced for), information about any mental illnesses and an up-to-date risk-assessment (very important!), which should all be gathered by an independent agency staffed by trained experts (social workers, psychologists and psychiatrists). All the rest is merely emotional pandering and way too open to manipulation.

I disagree Character is very important . and some people have to have it laid out Good person , Bad person.

And based on the facts here and the law in TX, she will lose on those grounds.
Statistically, you are right (judges or appellate courts setting aside a conviction and applying a lesser charge are rare, they do happen.

As a side note, the California bully / "bully" second degree murder conviction set aside, manslaughter conviction applied case involved some pretty egregious conduct by the shooter as well.

This included seeking the victim out, over kill violence, attempts to dispose of evidence, and suggestions that the shooter was on a "social cleansing" mission. Different state, different case.

But.... the California judge's actions to set aside the Murder conviction and to apply Manslaughter do show that appellate victories of this nature are possible, even with aggravating circumstances.

Last edited:
It's scary to me that people think it's normal or not a big deal if an LE officer "displays moderate, casual racism" or considers posts about shooting people (not "stuff") merely "edgy".

Holy smokes.
WOW indeed! Did you see the Judge's face when she was going through the Pinterest and text messages? Judge Kemp not "feeling it" for sure..:eek:... Opinion.

Gotta agree with you there. I have worked 24 hours straight, and managed to get home, been drunk, high, and never went to anyone else's house by accident. And I did live in apartments that all looked alike in California.

That argument doesn't even merit respect. She was thinking about her BFF.
she may well have been preoccupied with Rivera and the phone...but do you all really think she purposely went to his apartment? Why? What for?

Glad she is facing punishment, but I don't see these texts as especially awful. Young people might make a joke like that about MLK parade trying to be cute. Other text indicated unfamiliarity with co-workers of another race/cultural background. So far, not damning, and relatable for many of us, though never smart to text it. It's just that many of us haven't also gunned someone down in his own apartment. So it all sounds really bad now.

She's a police officer. Joking about race with a co-worker. On the job. And joking in her personal life about killing people with little provocation. She's not some teenager messing around or a college kid. My gosh. If we can't expect the people in our society who have the power to make decisions about arrests and use of force to have stellar characters and be consummate professionals, what kind of nation do we live in?

I am gobsmacked that people think it's okay for actual LE officials to act like drunken stupid teenagers.

It is all allowed and admissible. It doesn't matter what you wouldn't like to hear.

She will be free on Bond soon, the appeal process will take some time.

I really do not like the now convicted PERP. However, I do hope they put her in PC. The general population at the prison will not take kindly to her.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Yes, I heard that they will have her in isolation for her protection. I haven't heard, though, if she's on suicide watch.

I really do not like the now convicted PERP. However, I do hope they put her in PC. The general population at the prison will not take kindly to her.

Amateur opinion and speculation

Yes, as distasteful a person she is turning out to be, we don't have cruel an unusual punishment in the US. You know what I mean? Prisoners have a right to not be harmed while in prison.

Yes, as distasteful a person she is turning out to be, we don't have cruel an unusual punishment in the US. You know what I mean? Prisoners have a right to not be harmed while in prison.

Yeah. I don't want her to be harmed in prison. I think our justice system and prison system still needs to protect the rights of prisoners. I don't like the lady. I think she committed murder. I think harsh punishment under are legal parameters is just. But I don't consider prison violence just. IMO.

Glad she is facing punishment, but I don't see these texts as especially awful. Young people might make a joke like that about MLK parade trying to be cute. Other text indicated unfamiliarity with co-workers of another race/cultural background. So far, not damning, and relatable for many of us, though never smart to text it. It's just that many of us haven't also gunned someone down in his own apartment. So it all sounds really bad now.
Isn’t she pushing 40? Either way she certainly isn’t 14. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en