GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You mght want to take a few minutes to catch up.
Just not in my vocabulary. I am as caught up as I want to be thank you.
The disparity in testimony is glaring. She talked to people, hung out with them, etc. I feel they are trying to make normal interactions as special. I expected the defense to present evidence that she was something more than that. No one has seemed terribly sad or surprised. It's very odd.

If you listened to testimony about the victim and came away with that he sung and people liked him...you missed a lot.

The defense deserves to have their chance to defend her. Absolutely. They either aren't doing a good job, people don't know her very well, or she has done very little of note with her life
It's just like the reporter on wfaa said yesterday, this is a case based on circumstancial evidence and comes down to who do you like better...him or her.

AG's mom testified that Amber wished many times that she could take Botham's place. I don't believe that. She has spent the last year justifying her actions by villainizing him (in her own mind, at least). Maybe her recollections are real, but seriously flawed. We KNOW Botham could not have been swaying back and forth and/or making a move toward her because of the bullet trajectory evidence. But its possible she has had to create that false memory in her head for her own sanity. Either that, or she flat out lied. But in either scenario, she has justified the murder to herself. If there was any part of her that paid attention to Botham's legacy, she would #belikebo. What would have done? He would have accepted responsibility for his actions, apologized profusely and sincerely and accepted the consequences. One of the most disturbing things to listen to in her testimony was that she wished it was Botham who had the gun that day. As if Botham would have acted in any way like she did, from beginning to end.

I believe she wished victim had the gun so she could justify her shooting. Wished he had the gun so she could perceive him as an armed burglar... (and certainly not so he could shoot her).

I think this would have been expressed if they read statements. They're answering specific questions up there.

I'm wondering if the defense could have asked those questions though?

It seems that the prosecution was more prepared with their witnesses. They had obviously talked with their character witnesses beforehand and the questions/pictures/texts were something that their witnesses knew were coming up. Didn't seem to be any surprises.

I honestly think if her family had expressed how they felt horribly for Botham's family that it probably would have come across the same way Amber's testimony came across - as not genuine, IMO.
Most people, IMO, are born into racism and the way they view human life. In other words, I doubt that her family feels much different than Amber herself on certain issues.

It's just like the reporter on wfaa said yesterday, this is a case based on circumstancial evidence and comes down to who do you like better...him or her.

There is actually physical evidence and her testimony is not circumstantial. 911 call is not circumstantial. There are actual, verifiable facts. But sure.

So far I'm not hearing anything pro or con AG that would cause me to diverge much from the sentencing range I had in mind before we started the entire sentencing phase.

Honestly, I also think that's how it goes with the jury. I would expect that they had an idea of their sentencing and it will ultimately be close to that.

All of this is heartbreaking, but not as persuasive as what she did. I do not believe she feared for her life at any time (not even after the fact did she fear any sort of punitive consequences as she believed she would be protected and her actions justified/covered up). At all times (even IF this had been her own apartment) she had the upper hand. She was going to take the would be burglar by surprise and execute him (by her own admission). She didn't believe that taking a life deserved even a 10 second "let me catch my breath and think" value. She is someone to be feared, then and now. Lock her up.

With what motive?

There is actually physical evidence and her testimony is not circumstantial. 911 call is not circumstantial. There are actual, verifiable facts. But sure.
Just to add. The top paragraph was not a response to you, but one I thought I had deleted.

IMO It is not a matter of liking or disliking either person. It's matter of an innocent Botham being murdered in his own apartment by Guyger who had every intention of killing him.

young people do change ....need to establish that she is currently friends with Amber.

No it's not. The evidence was direct because she testified as to what happened.

Whether she committed a crime isn't based on who you like more. And who the heck would like her more over that sweet man?

But when it comes to sentencing, feelings about the victim and defendant do come into play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmoothieQuota