GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's very inappropriate for an employee of the government to do this while she is in duty.

On a human level, I get it.

I understand you. And normally would agree because we have a strict separation of church and state for a reasons as everyone's beliefs or lack thereof are different. We must protect that.

But that being said she seemed to do it in an off the record, unofficial capacity that as @Mormon Attorney mentioned, respected the faith of the victim and his family and didn't impose a different faith on AG, and seems to reflect the overall culture of the area and thus can be a part of reparative justice which is something that is more then the criminal justice system can do.

Omg, this! The brother is the epitome of grace. May God bless him richly. I've never seen that much class in a courtroom. You're right, Botham is smiling and the angels are singing.

I so agree. He showed amazing grace and forgiveness that is seldom seen publicly in a setting such as this.

The victim, his Mom, his brother are all amazing stand up people. Its so sad that they lost such a good caliber person.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed> If I had been on a jury I would have convicted of murder due to her statement of intent to kill but I still feel this was more of a manslaughter case. 10 years is all I would have wanted. Convicted child molesters get less time! <modsnip: Racial discussion is NOT allowed at Websleuths.>

I have no sympathy for AG but some of the bloodthirsty posts put me off. On the other hand when you read accounts like this one Man Faces 30 Years For Doughnut Theft, you wonder if anything is even right. Just to clarify, I don't know if the donut thief was actually sentenced to 30 years.

In AG's case, I was expecting something between 10 and 20 years. <modsnip: Racial discussion is not allowed>

Of course, some jurisdictions show more spine than others and I am glad that DPD - after public pressure - decided to fire AG and the state decided to charge her.

Last edited by a moderator:
You couldn't pay me enough to be a member of law enforcement in these times. Times have changed. There is no respect for authority any longer. Most (not all, MOST) of shootings, if you look at the statistics, the person shot has a criminal past. And not just a small rap sheet.... You bet i'd protect my life. And while i missed a lot of the trial and will be rewatching it, I can TOTALLY relate with coming home after a shift exhausted, half asleep, making the mistake of the wrong floor and finding 'your' door cracked, i have conceal/carry, my first thought would be to have it in my hand and ready. I think this was a mistake, a HUGE mistake, and her reflexes jumped to the wrong assumption. If she had just been a 'regular' woman, would it be the same outcome? who knows. I've not walked into wrong apartment, but i've walked in wrong door. And as for her demeanor, as a cop in Dallas, i'm guessing she had to have a tough exterior. It rubs off in your personal life too. I will rewatch and see if i feel the same after reviewing all of the testimony. But i understand the Murder verdict. She ADMITTED it was intentional. Normally it would be manslaughter since she didn't go after him specifically with intent. I don't know her training, how long she was on the force etc right now.. so i still have a lot to watch.
A police officer's job is to deal with people not abiding by the law. Presumably that includes those not respecting authority. The issue IMO is with training.

This trial will be the most unusual and amazing trial I've seen.

I was just thinking how amazing this entire situation is, just reading about it.

This may be an opportunity for AG to really become a different person. Not a trash talking, hard gal, who has such low self esteem that she would be a married man's side piece. I hope that she takes this situation as a time for change. Giving her ten years, gives her a chance to come out, and be a better person.

I think those that are critical of LE and those that are defensive on behalf of LE can both learn a little grace and compassion from the Jean family. It truly saddens me that we all feel we have to be so rigid in our positions in order to be heard. I think this notion of cops shooting first and asking questions later is dangerous and needs to stop. The job is inherently dangerous and if you can’t take the pressure don’t join. Last I checked it was voluntary. Ppl who support LE NO MATTER WHAT, smear victims and then cry that the other side is hateful etc I’m sorry but I tune you out immediately. You are not changing hearts and minds only preaching to your side.

A person stealing candy from a store does not deserve the death penalty handed out by Rivera. If you want latitude and understanding for cops then you have to give too and condemn the bad cops.

A police officer's job is to deal with people not abiding by the law. Presumably that includes those not respecting authority. The issue IMO is with training.

Oh, and there are totally some way 'over the top' bully cops out there. There are always a few that ruin the many. But yes, hiring a 20 yr old musclehead with 3 months of training and putting him on the street... BAD BAD BAD idea. And it happens.

Why? She was convicted and sentenced to ten years. This is not a moment of despair for a community never heard and who rarely receive justice. It may not be exactly as everyone thinks it should be but this is far from the lack of Justice a certain community typically endures.

I'm not going to accept a little justice, because we generally get none. I accept that about as much as I accept "a little CPR" from AG. People don't feel respected by the court today. Please don't speak for my community.

You couldn't pay me enough to be a member of law enforcement in these times. Times have changed. There is no respect for authority any longer. Most (not all, MOST) of shootings, if you look at the statistics, the person shot has a criminal past. And not just a small rap sheet.... You bet i'd protect my life. And while i missed a lot of the trial and will be rewatching it, I can TOTALLY relate with coming home after a shift exhausted, half asleep, making the mistake of the wrong floor and finding 'your' door cracked, i have conceal/carry, my first thought would be to have it in my hand and ready. I think this was a mistake, a HUGE mistake, and her reflexes jumped to the wrong assumption. If she had just been a 'regular' woman, would it be the same outcome? who knows. I've not walked into wrong apartment, but i've walked in wrong door. And as for her demeanor, as a cop in Dallas, i'm guessing she had to have a tough exterior. It rubs off in your personal life too. I will rewatch and see if i feel the same after reviewing all of the testimony. But i understand the Murder verdict. She ADMITTED it was intentional. Normally it would be manslaughter since she didn't go after him specifically with intent. I don't know her training, how long she was on the force etc right now.. so i still have a lot to watch.

People don't deserve to be shot, because they have record. Especially, when they are getting shot before the cop even knows who they are. I think we should think about this "there is no respect for authority." We should think about that. What respect do they deserve when they are shooting unarmed people? When they perpetuate domestic violence at incredible numbers? When they are protected over the people they harm? When they break the law and have clean records? Let's really think about that.

Why? She was convicted and sentenced to ten years. This is not a moment of despair for a community never heard and who rarely receive justice. It may not be exactly as everyone thinks it should be but this is far from the lack of Justice a certain community typically endures.

IMO the murder charge is wrong, it should have been manslaughter. I think murder requires an act of malice, while manslaughter requires an act of negligence. I don't see murder here, but is a clear case of manslaughter.

Oh my gosh. That was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen in my life. Love trumps hate. Remarkable.

I'm trying hard to choke down my tears. This is the kind of thing that has the power to change the nation.

I believe you don't have to be religious to feel it. That's pure love and goodness and forgiveness.

That man right there has achieved a level of compassion and ethics and selflessness that I can only aspire to. And he's probably half my age.

IMO the murder charge is wrong, it should have been manslaughter. I think murder requires an act of malice, while manslaughter requires an act of negligence. I don't see murder here, but is a clear case of manslaughter.

The murder charge is because AG made a deliberate decision to use lethal force. This was no accident. The "accident" was walking into the wrong apartment. Shooting Botham Jean was not "accidental".

That is the difference.

I did not expect 10 years. Personally I was hoping for at least 15.
Nor did I expect this extraordinary ending of this trial. I have never witnessed a devastated and grieving family act with such grace and dignity. And Bo's brother, what a fine young man he is, what strength and faith he has to state and do what he did. I've never seen anything like it. What a terrible loss they are enduring, and yet he can forgive, with sincerity.

May the family heal, may their faith sustain them.
And may Amber Guyger dig deep inside, reflect, and become a better person than she has been thus far. I don't know if she can, but I would hope she comes out in whatever number of years never forgetting Bo and his family, and does something really meaningful for others, in his and their name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme