GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ehhh IDK. I get that sentiment. But AG has legal professionals who will advise her and this case was truly first of its kind. I expect an appeal in a legal sense for sure. Her attorneys have a duty to provide her the utmost effective assistance of counsel and we ALL should want that. I hope they do not appeal as a human with emotions and empathy, but legally I think most attorneys would advise her to. It’s a really, really tough decision but it is also her right as a US citizen.
Well, when Botham's brother was addressing Guyger, he said he wants the best for her, and doesn't even want her to go to jail because that's what Botham would want.

Kemp has also been criticized by activists who wondered whether a black defendant would get the same treatment.
That's what it is all about for activists, NAACP, the Jesse Jackson's and Al Sharpton's of the world, or they would all be out of a job. Let's keep hate and racial divide front and center. Let's not heal the wounds.

How the judge reacted was by instinct. I am so sick of critics. I am also sick of people quickly apologizing to the critics. Ignore them. They'll soon be on to someone or something else. Their jobs depend on it.

Last edited:
I would not appeal. I would just except what I got and begin serving my time.

I think she will be eligible for parole after 8 years.

10 years goes by so fast.

Jmo
she is eligible after 5 years. she will be a model prisoner...reading her bible given by the judge ...and the family can speak at the first parole hearing and given she was a police officer...no previous bad acts and brother and family (and maybe more by that time) will want her out. The brother Brandt said yesterday he did not even want her in prison at all!

I never comment on anything on Twitter but yesterday, under a video of Brandt Jean I posted "such a beautiful family." Just a selection of the replies I received:

"Do you forgive the people who did 9/11"

"What would you know (insert slur about my skin colour here...)"

"You are what is wrong with the world."

These are just a few of the more pleasant ones.

I've never said I forgive AG, that's not for me. I just see a beautiful family who have been through an enormous loss and want to send my condolences to them. Why do people do this? What does it achieve?

I probably should have known better.
its nothing but pure anger , I don't even thing racism matters in this case( she would have shot regardless ) I think what matters is the value of his life and the jury was a racial balance BUT even though they were no one in MY OPINION seems to put much value on a man of colors life ( example black on black crime) just take a look at the threads we have on A A men that are murdered they don't get a
lot of traffic, its just reality and so wrong .

I'm sure she'll appeal and I don't hold that against her. I don't believe for one second she's sitting there thinking she should pay for her mistake and do her time. She claims she didn't feel like she deserved to spend time with her family because his family won't be able to spend time with him anymore but we know that's some bs to gain sympathy. And she'll be all holier than thou while she's inside like most prisoners and she'll forget all about that once she gets out. I hope we never hear from her again. I hope she doesn't try to do some PR bs when she gets out to rehabilitate her image. But as the narcissist that I think she is, I'm counting on it!

she is eligible after 5 years. she will be a model prisoner...reading her bible given by the judge ...and the family can speak at the first parole hearing and given she was a police officer...no previous bad acts and brother and family (and maybe more by that time) will want her out. The brother Brandt said yesterday he did not even want her in prison at all!
OK when you put it this way it kinda makes me Want to throw up Bo didn't get justice at all.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/

The Freedom From Religion Foundation on Thursday filed a complaint against Judge Tammy Kemp with a Texas state agency that investigates allegations of judicial misconduct.

The Wisconsin-based group says Kemp went too far after Amber Guyger was sentenced to 10 years in prison. Guyger, who is white, was convicted of fatally shooting her black neighbor in his apartment.

Kemp, who is black, has also been criticized by activists who wondered whether a black defendant would get the same treatment.

Her former boss, ex-Dallas prosecutor Craig Watkins, says Kemp is guided by faith and that he doesn’t think her actions were out of bounds.
A Texas judge hugged a former Dallas cop convicted of murdering her neighbor Botham Jean. Some feel this crossed the line.

After the conclusion of a case that has become part of the national conversation around policing and violence against people of color, a group demonstrated in the streets of Dallas against a sentence they saw as too light.

NAACP President Aubrey Hooper said in a statement that the organization saw the sentence as inadequate, but prayed that Jean’s family could find some closure with the conviction.

Defense attorney Toby Shook acknowledged there have been police shootings in which police get off when they shouldn’t have, but he asked the jury not to bring their opinions into the deliberations.

“This case is not those cases,” he said.

“This event wasn’t planned,” he said. “This was so unique, you’ll never see it again.”

Allison Jean talked to reporters about her hope for Guyger’s time in prison.

“That 10 years in prison is 10 years for her reflection and for her to change her life,” she said.
Emotions run high in and outside of courtroom after Amber Guyger sentenced to 10 years

its nothing but pure anger , I don't even thing racism matters in this case( she would have shot regardless ) I think what matters is the value of his life and the jury was a racial balance BUT even though they were no one in MY OPINION seems to put much value on a man of colors life ( example black on black crime) just take a look at the threads we have on A A men that are murdered they don't get a
lot of traffic, its just reality and so wrong .

I value his life.

If you have read my other posts, I also said that she has serious problems and should never have been on the police force. I still think that she was immature, self-centered and self-focused as in selfish. Her interests mattered above all else.

IMO She was not immature. She was a whole lot worse.

Am I the only one here that doesn't think that this is a racially motivated murder?

I actually think that she was tired, distracted and mad because her married lover/partner wouldn't come up to her apartment to satisfy her "needs."

She entered the wrong apartment (through a defective door), saw a man sitting on a couch, eating ice cream. She shouted at him and immediately drew her weapon and aimed to kill, without really looking around to see if it was her apartment or thinking of alternatives (like exiting).

I think that she would have done this to any target. This target just happened to be black.

I also think that this apartment complex needs to be held liable. Didn't they say that it was found that the electronic plates in floor were put in wrong causing the door to latch sometimes and sometimes not latch? That along with those apartments looking so much alike are an accident waiting to happen.

I understand the politics behind wanting to make this strictly a racially motivated crime, but I just don't believe this to be the case. That's just my opinion.

I don't think that AG will be a danger to our society once she serves her prison sentence, especially, if she is never allowed to own a weapon or be in a position of authority again.

It's just sad that this young man had to lose his life. I personally hold AG AND the apartment complex responsible.

JMO.

Forgive me as I have not read every post. Do the majority of people here or really anywhere have stated that this was a racially motivated murder?

I'm on the fence, but not totally convinced. I'm about 50/50 as to whether I believe her actions after the shooting including CPR would have been different if he was the same race as her. I know more than a few racist people who will not touch the blood of a black person. Also know lots of people who refuse to have black people take care of them in healthcare.

Amber admitted that she was racist so with that, anything that happened after she found out his race is questionable as to if she would have done things differently.
We also don't know if she knew his race before shooting. Only she knows that and it's very possible she heard his voice and it gave away his identity then she shot. My heart tells me that she heard his voice, knew he was black then, saw a silhouette then shot.

I think a lot of people forget that Amber admitted that she is racist - therefore she started the race talk and left everything after that to scrutiny.

That's what it is all about for activists, NAACP, the Jesse Jackson's and Al Sharpton's of the world, or they would all be out of a job. Let's keep hate and racial divide front and center. Let's not heal the wounds.

How the judge reacted was by instinct. I am so sick of critics. I am also sick of people quickly apologizing to the critics. Ignore them. They'll soon be on to someone or something else. Their jobs depend on it.

Interesting how political this case is, as almost everything is now. At work, we can only chitchat about the weather.

There is no comparison between this situation and any one else's crime or sentence. To do so makes a mockery of the judicial system.

Brandt's act of forgiveness has sparked a thoughtful debate on Twitter.

On one side, many people were touched by the brother's humanity and hear

On the other side, however, many people felt the media's obsession with forgiveness spoke to a continued avoidance of confronting racial injustice in the United States.

Everyone agreed that Brandt had done something truly beautiful by offering his brother's killer forgiveness, but the world's fixation on that moment, rather than the systemic problems that produced this situation, is, at best, unhelpful for minorities.

Twitter user @BreeNewsome offered an excellent breakdown of how media consistently frames stories such as this one around a subtly White perspective.

Though 10 years is a long time, many couldn't help but notice it wasn't as long as similar crimes committed by Black men.

The Central Park Five, who were innocent of the crimes they were accused of, spent more time in jail than Guyger will.

After the trial, Botham Jean's mother made it clear there's still a lot of work to be done to stop racial injustice in the future.

The best way to honor this family's superhuman forgiveness is to speak out for their cause and help ensure nothing like this ever happens again.

Emotional Moment Of Forgiveness Between Convicted Dallas Cop And Slain Neighbor's Brother Divides The Internet

I value his life.
I value his life very much. I believe this young man would have gone on to do many wonderful things, much more than AG would have done with her life. I feel that she is a troubled young woman, whether she murdered anyone or not.

Re: btfly547's post above, I didn't realize that she stated that she was a racist??

Not only reading her bible but becoming "saved" and "born again". Parole board will probably like that. IMO I think the judge giving her a bible was just virtue signaling.

I have to wonder what the reaction would be if the judge gave her a Quran.

OT: Husband's bad experience with Dallas TxDPS. My husband was pulled over in Dallas for speeding. Cops ran his licence, made him get out of the car and frisked him. Then he was told was going to jail for an outstanding warrant for murder! My husband has a very common name, Mike Brown.My husband told them to check their records better. The murderer they thought was my husband was a black man with multiple tattoos. My husband is white and does not have any tattoos. The bail bondsman and the car impound lost a sale (kickback?) that day.

I agree, and I wonder why some posters are still trying to stir the hate up. It's over...finished. move on to a case that deserves all this vitriol.

Are posters really not allowed to express their thoughts on here if you feel they "stir up hate"?
Wow, guess I missed that rule that only good thoughts are allowed once the case is over.

I don't think anyone is trying to stir up hate, it's simply thoughts and a conversation that you feel differently about. Nothing more.

The simple fact is they want to keep it front and center because they ARE hated on ,the playing field with education , poverty , crime etc. has not evened out since being forced on a boat to America , oh lets see 50 or so years ago there were places in the us that people of different races could not even eat together not that long ago IMO hence the whole reparations discussion in politics why do you dislike them so much they aren't anti white or anti anybody they are pro black ..even the field playing to catch up they are not out to oppress other races

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member