GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of bad eggs doesn't make the entire police force bad. I do think that AG's behavior shows that she wasn't remorseful in the least. I can't believe that she actually was sexting her married partner a few days after she murdered a guy.

I think that it shows how narcissistic she truly is, IMO. How in the heck would a normal person even be thinking of doing something like this after such a tragic event? Did her partner respond in kind? Surely not. If I were in his position, I would have blocked her number.

Will Martin Rivera face any formal reprimand for having an affair on the job? Surely, there must be some kind of company policy against what they did. I wonder what is going on in his household...

I also think it shows a blatant disregard for Mr. Jean that she was sexting in the days after the killing. I think she thought she was all good because of all of the other actions that her department allowed based on the SOP.

It is not only Ms. Guyger's behavior and that of her partner, Mr. Rivera (who by the way had a 13+ minute conversation with her before she parked, so he was still engaged in the relationship in some way) but...even though she was off duty they initially called it an officer involved shooting which meant she was not questioned, the DPA head came, the videos in the police car were turned off, she was not given a drug test until hours/days later, AND she was sent home rather than held.

I have relatives who are on the job in a number of towns and cities. I know that this is a rough occupation and difficult to maneuver. However, my relatives on the job (of various colors and genders) have said that they believe there is an issue in so far as what they have seen and heard about this department. My relatives know there are racists on their forces. My relatives know that they (ones of color and female) are not included fully in the brotherhood. Ms. Guyger's actions and the subsequent actions of the DPD need to have some sunlight because that is the best disinfectant.

Last edited:
"She saw his black skin. He had no other weapon," Merritt wrote on Facebook Wednesday. "We believe she weaponized his race, as Americans often do, particularly American cops. ‘Perceiving a threat' from black people doing mundane things is a part of the pattern we fight against."

"Everybody in the courtroom is just standing there with their mouths open," the reporter said in WFAA's video. "Most of us are trying not to cry while we're watching this happen."

"That is the judge, hugging the defendant, Amber Guyger," a moderator said, putting emphasis on the word defendant.

Commenters on WFAA's footage, which was uploaded to YouTube, expressed disbelief over Kemp's actions.

"Did she even express this much sympathy to the actual victim's family?" one commenter said. "I'm appalled."

Another YouTube commenter wrote that the Central Park 5, the group of young black men wrongly convicted and later exonerated in a 1989 rape, were "watching this with their mouths on the floor."

"Did anyone else find it strange that the judge got more upset and angry at the lady that brought her laptop to court, and not at the person who killed an innocent human being?" the commenter wrote.

The response was equally negative on Twitter, where one man wrote: "How many other convicted murderers receive hugs and parting gifts from the judge who presides over their case? We are willing to bet the answer is zero."

"This is disgusting and totally inappropriate," Charles wrote. "Amber Guyger is a convicted murderer, yet Judge Kemp is embracing her as if she's a victim."

"A black judge let a white supremacist cop walk, then gave her a hug," one man tweeted, while another wrote that the legal system is not set up for black people to get rehabilitation or justice.

"It's designed to get us out of the way," he mused. "You got a black judge hugging a white cop who broke into a black man's house and killed him. What do you think they would do in the reverse?"

#TammyKemp

The hashtag #TammyKemp began popping up on the social media network, where some users called for disciplinary action against the judge or a recall to get her off the bench.

"A judge must be impartial. Tammy Kemp has undermined her credibility," radio talk show host and activist Joe Madison tweeted.

The response was equally negative on Twitter, where one man wrote: "How many other convicted murderers receive hugs and parting gifts from the judge who presides over their case? We are willing to bet the answer is zero."

"This is disgusting and totally inappropriate," Charles wrote. "Amber Guyger is a convicted murderer, yet Judge Kemp is embracing her as if she's a victim."
"A black judge let a white supremacist cop walk, then gave her a hug," one man tweeted, while another wrote that the legal system is not set up for black people to get rehabilitation or justice.

"It's designed to get us out of the way," he mused. "You got a black judge hugging a white cop who broke into a black man's house and killed him. What do you think they would do in the reverse?"

#TammyKemp

The hashtag #TammyKemp began popping up on the social media network, where some users called for disciplinary action against the judge or a recall to get her off the bench.

"A judge must be impartial. Tammy Kemp has undermined her credibility," radio talk show host and activist Joe Madison tweeted.

"I was offended by the hugs and hair grooming," a woman wrote. "Even given her record of racist remarks and actions, black people felt compelled to make the white perpetrator comfortable, optically minimizing the harm of her heinous crime. Judge #TammyKemp was out of order. #RIPBothamJean."

"I personally want the best for you. I wasn't going to ever say this in front of my family or anyone, but I don't even want you to go to jail," Brandt Jean said. "I want the best for you because I know that's exactly what Botham would want you to do, and the best would be to give your life to Christ."
Bishop Talbert Swan, who heads the Church of Christ in God's Nova Scotia jurisdiction, lumped Jean in with Kemp and a black bailiff who, during a break in the proceedings, was seen brushing Guyger's hair. He said their actions "satisfy the demand that blacks suffer phlegmatically so our pain neither offends wypipo's (white people's) sensibilities nor sparks their guilt or fragility."
British blogger Louise Mensch replied: "Bishop with respect, she is a foul murderer but the victim's family's forgiveness is their privilege to grant or withhold. I believe Brandt Jean would have been as kind to any race of murderer. He is a role model to me, even at 18."

Paul Goldsmith, CEO of Goldsmith Media Group, tweeted that Jean's actions were "what radical forgiveness looks like."

"We need more people like Brandt in the world," Goldsmith tweeted.

"Regardless of how you feel about the outcome of the Amber Guyger trial, watching the brother of Botham Jean, Brandt, address Amber and then hugging her was the one of the most impactful things I've ever seen. He's a powerful young man," the woman wrote.
"I hate the fact that he hugged her, but what I'm not going to do is tell someone how to deal with their grief," one woman wrote. "Many people have questionable ways of coping. As long they aren't hurting anyone, shut up."

"Botham Jean's brother, Brandt, is a much better man than I'll ever be," he tweeted. "Amber Guyger isn't gonna give her life to Christ. She's just glad she got only 10 (years)."
Pastor and author Michael W. Waters wrote on Facebook that people who quote Brandt Jean, but not his mother, Allison Jean, have failed.

"Listen to her, Dallas," Waters wrote. "She has given us our marching orders."

In a news conference following Guyger's sentencing, Allison Jean said the city of Dallas needs to be cleaned up from within. She spoke of alleged corruption she said was brought to light by the trial and said it cannot go on.

"The Dallas Police Department has a lot of laundry to do," Allison Jean said. "The Texas Rangers need to know who's on board, and every single one of you, citizens of Dallas and residents of Dallas, need to know what to do to get your city right."

The Dallas Morning News reported that Dallas police Chief U. Renee Hall announced Wednesday that she has initiated an internal investigation into incidents brought up during Guyger's trial, including Officer Martin Rivera's testimony that he deleted texts between him and Guyger following the shooting.
"Our life must move on, but our life must move on with change. There's got to be a better day, and that better day starts with each and every one of us," Allison Jean said.
Dallas County judge sparks anger by hugging killer ex-cop Amber Guyger

This, THIS is part of the problem. People can't be angry or shine light on real, systematic issues...without being labeled as hateful. It's very easy to move on if this doesn't impact you. If YOU aren't the one afraid that you'll be the next Botham. If YOU aren't the one that has to watch justice elude your community time and time and time again. If YOU aren't the one that's not allowed to be angry.

It must be nice to just move on. Well, guess what. Some people in this community don't get to that. Will NEVER get to do that. So how about you stop being so bothered by the inconvenience of this and take a look around you. Maybe you will recognize some problems and maybe some of those problems will look a lot like you
Emphasizing this entire post! It’s so easy to move on when it doesn’t effect you. It is a privilege to be able to just move on from this and go to the next trial.

San Francisco Chronicle Newspaper
Dallas judge's hug not embraced by all after officer's trial

gallery_xlarge.jpg

gallery_xlarge.jpg

gallery_xlarge.jpg

gallery_medium.jpg

Botham Jean's brother told Amber Guyger "I forgive you." It became a polarizing moment.
NBC NEWS

Last edited:
I bet you when Judge Kemp came up to AG with her bible preaching the word, AG was probably rolling her eyes on the inside. There's nothing that has come out during the trial to suggest that AG is/was religious. Absolutely nothing! She seemed to have lived a pretty secular life. Only thing she cared about was being a PO, and shooting first. I sincerely doubt Judge Kemp's religious references held any meaning to her. As an agnostic, I know they wouldn't be meaningful to me.

...Mr. Rivera (who by the way had a 13+ minute conversation with her before she parked, so he was still engaged in the relationship in some way) but...even though she was off duty they initially called it an officer involved shooting which meant she was not questioned...
Interesting. I figured that the conversation played into it in the respect that she was trying to talk him into coming up to her place but could not do so. It angered her. So, that played into her mood when entering the apartment.

I didn't realize that it was playing into the initial investigation. If so, it sounds like the department was really hoping to not have this blown out of proportion in the community.

Another poster did say but for his stellar reputation it may have worked to her advantage, which would have been tragic. This woman is very troubled. She definitely would have been involved in other incidents if she had gotten away with this murder.

It's sad that Botham had to lose his life to stop her. It appears, though, that is what had to happen. I sure hope that someone is looking at this department. I think that there was a black police chief that retired rather quickly a few years back. I always wondered why he did so. Do you know what happened there? He seemed like a decent guy. Was it after those five police officers were shot?

"She saw his black skin. He had no other weapon," Merritt wrote on Facebook Wednesday. "We believe she weaponized his race, as Americans often do, particularly American cops. ‘Perceiving a threat' from black people doing mundane things is a part of the pattern we fight against."

"Everybody in the courtroom is just standing there with their mouths open," the reporter said in WFAA's video. "Most of us are trying not to cry while we're watching this happen."

"That is the judge, hugging the defendant, Amber Guyger," a moderator said, putting emphasis on the word defendant.

Commenters on WFAA's footage, which was uploaded to YouTube, expressed disbelief over Kemp's actions.

"Did she even express this much sympathy to the actual victim's family?" one commenter said. "I'm appalled."

Another YouTube commenter wrote that the Central Park 5, the group of young black men wrongly convicted and later exonerated in a 1989 rape, were "watching this with their mouths on the floor."

"Did anyone else find it strange that the judge got more upset and angry at the lady that brought her laptop to court, and not at the person who killed an innocent human being?" the commenter wrote.

#TammyKemp

#TammyKemp

"I was offended by the hugs and hair grooming," a woman wrote. "Even given her record of racist remarks and actions, black people felt compelled to make the white perpetrator comfortable, optically minimizing the harm of her heinous crime. Judge #TammyKemp was out of order. #RIPBothamJean."

"I personally want the best for you. I wasn't going to ever say this in front of my family or anyone, but I don't even want you to go to jail," Brandt Jean said. "I want the best for you because I know that's exactly what Botham would want you to do, and the best would be to give your life to Christ."
Bishop Talbert Swan, who heads the Church of Christ in God's Nova Scotia jurisdiction, lumped Jean in with Kemp and a black bailiff who, during a break in the proceedings, was seen brushing Guyger's hair. He said their actions "satisfy the demand that blacks suffer phlegmatically so our pain neither offends wypipo's (white people's) sensibilities nor sparks their guilt or fragility."
British blogger Louise Mensch replied: "Bishop with respect, she is a foul murderer but the victim's family's forgiveness is their privilege to grant or withhold. I believe Brandt Jean would have been as kind to any race of murderer. He is a role model to me, even at 18."

Paul Goldsmith, CEO of Goldsmith Media Group, tweeted that Jean's actions were "what radical forgiveness looks like."

"We need more people like Brandt in the world," Goldsmith tweeted.

"Regardless of how you feel about the outcome of the Amber Guyger trial, watching the brother of Botham Jean, Brandt, address Amber and then hugging her was the one of the most impactful things I've ever seen. He's a powerful young man," the woman wrote.
"I hate the fact that he hugged her, but what I'm not going to do is tell someone how to deal with their grief," one woman wrote. "Many people have questionable ways of coping. As long they aren't hurting anyone, shut up."

"Botham Jean's brother, Brandt, is a much better man than I'll ever be," he tweeted. "Amber Guyger isn't gonna give her life to Christ. She's just glad she got only 10 (years)."
Pastor and author Michael W. Waters wrote on Facebook that people who quote Brandt Jean, but not his mother, Allison Jean, have failed.

"Listen to her, Dallas," Waters wrote. "She has given us our marching orders."

In a news conference following Guyger's sentencing, Allison Jean said the city of Dallas needs to be cleaned up from within. She spoke of alleged corruption she said was brought to light by the trial and said it cannot go on.

"The Dallas Police Department has a lot of laundry to do," Allison Jean said. "The Texas Rangers need to know who's on board, and every single one of you, citizens of Dallas and residents of Dallas, need to know what to do to get your city right."

The Dallas Morning News reported that Dallas police Chief U. Renee Hall announced Wednesday that she has initiated an internal investigation into incidents brought up during Guyger's trial, including Officer Martin Rivera's testimony that he deleted texts between him and Guyger following the shooting.
"Our life must move on, but our life must move on with change. There's got to be a better day, and that better day starts with each and every one of us," Allison Jean said.
Dallas County judge sparks anger by hugging killer ex-cop Amber Guyger

The WFFA video needs watching. The judge giving Amber a Bible and a big hug, while in open court, in robes, was bad enough. What the judge said to her was downright disturbing.

She absolutely should be sanctioned.

I bet you when Judge Kemp came up to AG with her bible preaching the word, AG was probably rolling her eyes on the inside. There's nothing that has come out during the trial to suggest that AG is/was religious. Absolutely nothing! She seemed to have lived a pretty secular life. Only thing she cared about was being a PO, and shooting first. I sincerely doubt Judge Kemp's religious references held any meaning to her. As an agnostic, I know they wouldn't be meaningful to me.
Perhaps. But compassion is pretty powerful no matter what religion, if any at all. Maybe something resonated with her.

I previously posted this; however, I will post again. Although I feel that her texts were in bad taste, I don't think that she said them to be racist. I think that she is immature and lacking judgment. They also prove that she shouldn't be in uniform.
I agree. I do not think she is racist at all. I also do not believe she is a sociopath either. I think 10 years is way to long. I think Amber will be fine when she get out of prison and can lead a normal life and not a trigger happy cop that is going to be scrolling the streets for her next victim. (as some people have said)
I believe Bo was a totally innocent victim and I pray for his family. God was seen yesterday in that Texas courtroom and that is what the world needs more of.

Perhaps. But compassion is pretty powerful no matter what religion, if any at all. Maybe something resonated with her.

No doubt the brother's forgiveness and statement impacted her. I'm sure of that. Even if I don't think it will, ultimately, transform her. But my understanding is that the judge was quoting scripture to her and telling her to reflect on what happened etc. I mean, I guess that could be viewed as compassion but it seemed preachy to me. I think if you're a non-believer, that kinda thing just goes over your head.

ETA: OK so I just listened to the WFAA video about the rest of what the judge said and it sounds like she also told AG to forgive herself, that what she did is not unforgivable etc. It's even worse than I thought!

Last edited:
Exactly , if I were In the position Amber was I'd hug too, but same here ,as a Agnostic I would just be playing along as well what else are you going to do in that position!

I agree. I do not think she is racist at all. I also do not believe she is a sociopath either. I think 10 years is way to long. I think Amber will be fine when she get out of prison and can lead a normal life and not a trigger happy cop that is going to be scrolling the streets for her next victim. (as some people have said)
I believe Bo was a totally innocent victim and I pray for his family. God was seen yesterday in that Texas courtroom and that is what the world needs more of.
UM she stated she was racist , did you miss that part.

Following a rally for Botham Jean, the 26-year-old killed by Guyger in his own apartment more than a year ago, crowds of protesters marched along streets lined with police and chanted, “No justice, no peace!” Prosecutors inside the courtroom had asked that the former Dallas officer get a sentence no shorter than 28 years, representing how old Jean would be today had he not been killed. But, instead, she was given a decade.

In videos of the protests taken by the Star-Telegram, there are rising tensions in the streets between civilians and police officers, who were announcing through speakers, “Please exit the roadway.”
https://www.star-telegram.com/latest-news/article235756202.html/video-embed
A woman in a red shirt was walking toward the middle of the street, slowly and with a raised fist, the video shows. Suddenly, officers grabbed at her and tried to pull her to the ground as she tried to run away.

More officers swarmed her, and then civilians, amid the screams and chaos. Officers eventually threw her to the ground in the middle of the street and handcuffed her.

“This is why we hate you!” one person could be heard screaming.

“Let her go!” another shouted.

Dominique Alexander, the leader of the Next Generation Action Network, said the black community is outraged.

“Why give a murder conviction and then 10 years?” he said.
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/crime/article235763597.html

*click sound icon on.
Do the protesters realize that it was the jury who gave the ten year sentence?

UM she stated she was racist , did you miss that part.

I have seen a few posters say that Amber is not racist.
I'm thinking they have seen the texts and just don't want to believe that this lady has a racist bone in her body. I think someone else said the texts were in "bad taste" and "immature".

If people don't want to believe she is a racist even though she said it herself, then that's just insane and delusional at that point.

Ehhh IDK. I get that sentiment. But AG has legal professionals who will advise her and this case was truly first of its kind. I expect an appeal in a legal sense for sure. Her attorneys have a duty to provide her the utmost effective assistance of counsel and we ALL should want that. I hope they do not appeal as a human with emotions and empathy, but legally I think most attorneys would advise her to. It’s a really, really tough decision but it is also her right as a US citizen.

Yes she has legal professionals advising her, of course. However, it's still her call ultimately.

If she says NO APPEALS then they cannot appeal. If Amber said no appeals, that would be HUGE. That would be amazing but I'm not going to count on it.

Do the protesters realize that it was the jury who gave the ten year sentence?

Probably not. Most of them think that the hugs occurred before she was sentenced, in front of the jury and that's why she only got 10 years. I wish people would google before they protest.

Seems everyone has forgotten this part , I think 10 years was a slap in the face , she will appeal to further the slap and she just needs to consider herself lucky, which she has shown no problem considering herself first . I'm not his brother I am still a bit bitter

I haven't forgotten anything.
I just know that if Bo's brother and father can lead by example, I will certainly follow that.

I agree !!!! now that little Brother did a forgiving thing everyone seems to think we should too, Sorry if this was a big ugly scary man cop would ya'll be Ok with 10 years ? I don't think so ....

It wouldn't matter who it was. If the brother and father reacted this way, I would be just as moved by that too.

BBM.

Exactly. Not only the brother but the judge. I guess now we're all supposed to walk around with our bibles and be good forgiving, compassionate Christians or else be labeled angry/violent. But there's no compassion for unarmed young men being gunned down by police on a regular basis. No THEY deserve that because they stole candy or had some pot on them. But AG, oh AG just made a "mistake" and how dare we be so mean to her.

Atheist here.
Also frequent activist for unarmed young men being gunned down.
AG murdered a wonderful man. However, if his brother and father can forgive... who am I to hold onto hate for her?

I realize I’m backsliding a bit but I was out yesterday and didn’t actually see the proceedings. Just saw a portion of the brother’s testimony and then the hug. I will say hug underestimates... it was an embrace. I’ve never in all of my life seen anything like it. IMO, we would all do good to follow a bit of that example. MOO

Yes. Absolutely. Seeing that makes me a better person already. Absolutely amazing.

AG referenced praying and God.... I wouldn't reference either of those, would you?

OK but I don't appreciate being proselytized. And the judge shouldn't have used her position of power to do that to AG. AG didn't ask for it, and it's not her role. It was inappropriate. This is a court of law not a church house. Judge had no right to bring out her bible and give it to AG and read scripture to her.

Emphasizing this entire post! It’s so easy to move on when it doesn’t effect you. It is a privilege to be able to just move on from this and go to the next trial.
It is also easy to be critical. What is hard is actually taking action to make a difference. Posters who are unhappy with what they see going on in their communities should research ways that they can make a difference. As my mother always said to me, "Talk's cheap." ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela