GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A defiant leader of the Dallas Police Association says he isn’t going anywhere.
Anvato Universal Player

“Let’s be real clear. The DA (prosecutor Jason) Hermus had every and opportunity to call me and put me on that stand if I did something unethical, if I did something illegal or if I did something immoral. Why didn’t you put me on the stand? Why didn’t you ask me those questions? I’m going to tell you why,” said Mata. “Because the DA knew good and well that was our process. We have been doing it that way for the seven years I’ve been investigating critical incidences.”

“I poked my head in and I asked ‘are you OK?’ She said ‘yes.’ I told her I will be right back. I went straight to the command staff that were at the scene and ask them is this an officer involved shooting, because I don’t ask officers what happened. That is not my job.”

He says the DA’s office has for years endorsed having companion officers look out for the immediate needs of an officer after a shooting.
Dallas Police Association President Mike Mata Defends Actions Involving Amber Guyger At Murder Scene

* eta: I caught video seconds after upload. (explanation for confusion.) Video now embedded. Sound icon.

Last edited:
Anvato Universal Player

A defiant leader of the Dallas Police Association says he isn’t going anywhere.

“Let’s be real clear. The DA (prosecutor Jason) Hermus had every and opportunity to call me and put me on that stand if I did something unethical, if I did something illegal or if I did something immoral. Why didn’t you put me on the stand? Why didn’t you ask me those questions? I’m going to tell you why,” said Mata. “Because the DA knew good and well that was our process. We have been doing it that way for the seven years I’ve been investigating critical incidences.”

“I poked my head in and I asked ‘are you OK?’ She said ‘yes.’ I told her I will be right back. I went straight to the command staff that were at the scene and ask them is this an officer involved shooting, because I don’t ask officers what happened. That is not my job.”

He says the DA’s office has for years endorsed having companion officers look out for the immediate needs of an officer after a shooting.
Dallas Police Association President Mike Mata Defends Actions Involving Amber Guyger At Murder Scene
What about turning that camera off , standard practice that's supposed to be okay?

I believe the right verdict was reached. IMO, this should have been a second degree murder charge (or the Texas equivalent statute). The sentence might have been longer that way as well.

It is also easy to be critical. What is hard is actually taking action to make a difference. Posters who are unhappy with what they see going on in their communities should research ways that they can make a difference. As my mother always said to me, "Talk's cheap." ;)

My talk comes after years of being a victim's advocate and working in the county advocacy center and being a CASA. Not to mention currently enrolling BACK in college as an adult to peruse a new degree, so that I can work in a capacity other than my current volunteering for my county legal aid. Thanks for the snark.

A talking silhouette with a slight Caribbean accent! I would have known in a hot second!
So you think if he had been a large White or Hispanic male, she wouldn't have shot the person she thought was an intruder in her home?

Ummm she said he was coming towards her saying hey hey hey and she shot center mass. Are you saying she had no clue he was black when she shot him?
you are assuming she told the truth...no witnesses that are alive and she is facing 99 years...I say anything she said that was not confirmed by a witness is up for question.

OK, I'll bite and play along. AG is a racist. There is no evidence or indication at all that she shot Bo because of his color. She was not on trial for being a racist.

Playing along too. Two (hypothetical) scenarios:

1. An off duty cop goes to the wrong apt thinking it's hers, the door opens enough for the hall lights to shine on in, she sees a black man and shoots him because he's not just an intruder, but a black intruder. So...she shoots him for being black first, and an intruder second, or maybe that's a tie for her.

(An overtly racial choice, one I don't believe she made).

2. Same scenario, except this. The light shines into his apartment. She didn't in fact catch any of the clues she was going to the wrong apt, up to and including the doormat and slightly ajar door.

The hallway light (absolutely) is strong enough for her to SEE that everything about this apartment is different, and to SMELL weed wafting around her. But, in the same nano second, she sees someone in the apt, and he's black.

Her choices IMO were both conscious and unconscious. By the time she pulled out her gun, she absolutely did have information enough to realize her mistake. By the time she pulled out the her gun, she had determined there was an intruder in "her" apt.

Would someone who didn't see race first see a black man in that situation and be positive enough he was an intruder to shoot him dead?

Or would that person see a black man, but at the same time see that black man near a sofa and ottoman she didn't own, with a kitchen counter between them cluttered with nothing that belonged to her? And pause for long enough to process the mistake she had made?

Ehhh IDK. I get that sentiment. But AG has legal professionals who will advise her and this case was truly first of its kind. I expect an appeal in a legal sense for sure. Her attorneys have a duty to provide her the utmost effective assistance of counsel and we ALL should want that. I hope they do not appeal as a human with emotions and empathy, but legally I think most attorneys would advise her to. It’s a really, really tough decision but it is also her right as a US citizen.
And so also she has the right to say no to an appeal? I hope she chooses no to an appeal.

It was in a courtroom and not during the trial or the proceedings. I see nothing wrong with it. Trial was over and she was sentenced.

She is a court official , Amber was in custody of the court what I see wrong is there will be lawsuits filed and it might be grounds for that Judges removal legally speaking

Obviously none of us can know what was in her head. And I agree I don't believe anything she said either. She's not credible. I'm certain he didn't come towards her in a threatening manner. That I'm sure of. But that's what cops always say to justify an illegal shooting. But I don't buy that she didn't know he was black. I don't buy that at all.

Anyway, I'm going to stop commenting on this thread. I think today was just about mourning the light sentence and re-examining the judge's actions for me. I don't feel it's productive to go back and forth about any of it at this point. It's over. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

It didn't have anything to do with legal matters so there was no reason to go into her chambers.
judges often invite family into their chambers after the trial if they want to talk...they also invite jurors to come in that have more questions. That would be the appropriate time for such a meeting....coming right down with a bible and reading a favorite verse with cameras rolling is very strange and you can think it is fine or not...she has set herself up for serious questions by her peers as well as the public.

Ummm she said he was coming towards her saying hey hey hey and she shot center mass. Are you saying she had no clue he was black when she shot him?[/QUOTE
Ummm she said he was coming towards her saying hey hey hey and she shot center mass. Are you saying she had no clue he was black when she shot him?
the judge has chambers for this kind of meeting.
I respect the Judge for approaching and embracing AG openly with transparency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela