GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The judge, in her robes, in open court, in front of cameras still recording what had been a very high profile trial , with tensions still high enough that shouts of anger at 10 years were echoing in that courthouse, hugged the person who had shortly before been convicted of first degree murder.

Then told the convicted murderer that she blamed herself too much, that what she had done wasn't as bad as it seemed to her, and that she hadn't done anything she couldn't be forgiven for.

Can you truthfully say you are perfectly OK with judges dispensing hugs and redemption to any and all murderers immediately following sentencing?
If above quote is accurate (not sure where it is from) no not okay at all.

OK but I don't appreciate being proselytized. And the judge shouldn't have used her position of power to do that to AG. AG didn't ask for it, and it's not her role. It was inappropriate. This is a court of law not a church house. Judge had no right to bring out her bible and give it to AG and read scripture to her.
AG could’ve asked for it for all we know. I’m sure the Judge could hear her and Bo’s brother’s discussion at least to some extent. But who knows.

Do any of you who are so clinched over the judge hugging Amber aware that before that “gasp” act she hugged every one of BJ’s family. In the open....in the courtroom?? I’m amused at the pearl clutching going on.

Yes. I saw that. And thought it was inappropriate. But I'm sure you don't believe a judge hugging the family of a murder victim is no different in kind than a judge hugging the person convicted of his murder. Or maybe you do?

Yes. I saw that. And thought it was inappropriate. But I'm sure you don't believe a judge hugging the family of a murder victim is no different in kind than a judge hugging the person convicted of his murder. Or maybe you do?

Everyone was "stunned " for a reason ....my step dad was an attorney and Judge in his later years ...there is no way he would have touched either party ....you open your self up for all kinds of things and crazy lawsuits ! it's called remain neutral and professional!

Anvato Universal Player
Former Dallas County prosecutor Mike Snipes told CBS 11 the case would first go to The Court of Appeals in Dallas. In the event they affirm the conviction, the Court of Criminal Appeals could take the case, but there’s no guarantee.

“It’s a tough row to hoe for any defendant in the appellate,” Snipes said.

“They could try to say the evidence was insufficient to sustain a murder conviction,” Snipes explained. “They could say the evidence that was admitted in the case was more prejudicial than probative.”

“It’s kind of ironic, she would have been eligible for an appeal bond had she had a sentence of one day less than what she got,” said Snipes.

Following The End Of Trial, Next Step For Guyger Could Likely Be Appeal

Anvato Universal Player
Former Dallas County prosecutor Mike Snipes told CBS 11 the case would first go to The Court of Appeals in Dallas. In the event they affirm the conviction, the Court of Criminal Appeals could take the case, but there’s no guarantee.

“They could try to say the evidence was insufficient to sustain a murder conviction,” Snipes explained. “They could say the evidence that was admitted in the case was more prejudicial than probative.”

“It’s kind of ironic, she would have been eligible for an appeal bond had she had a sentence of one day less than what she got,” said Snipes.

Slap in the face appealing 5 years for murder !

Anvato Universal Player

Wow...that was a near miss.

one has to wonder if the jury had given her 30 or more and they could have...given the way this went down after sentencing clearly Judge Kemp has some serious empathy for Amber..would she or could she have revised that sentence downwards...or is the jury the final word. I think she probably agreed with the jury on the 10 years knowing she will be back out in 5.

“Very few communities in our nation have had to suffer as much as black people, who have also been robbed of the opportunity to emote from that experience,” said the Rev. Michael Waters, pastor of Joy Tabernacle African Methodist Episcopal Church in Dallas who has pushed for police reform in the city.

“It’s about removing from black people the agency of their anger, suggesting that we don’t have a right to righteous indignation, that it is somehow unacceptable for Christian black people to tap into their frustration at a death-dealing system that has caused them to bury generations of their sons and daughters,” he continued. “I think that’s sinful.”

“It always seems like black people are given that heavy task of being able to forgive,” Risher said. The tendency to forgive, she said, is “part of a generational, DNA strand we have as black people,” a legacy of slavery: “For us to be able to live some kind of a decent existence and not carry rage and anger, we get to that point of having to forgive.”

“I stated a long time ago that if you’re more concerned about potential unrest than you are about potential injustice, that’s problematic,” Waters said.

“I have a right to feel how I feel as a black person in this country, knowing that I could be the next hashtag that launches a protest,” she said.
Some see rush to forgive as rush to forget racial violence

"It's just her Christian nature," said former Dallas County District Attorney Craig Watkins, who was once Kemp's boss and in 2006 became the first black elected district attorney in Texas history.

"You're having people of color that have the opportunity to make judges now," Watkins said. "Their life experience and their religious points of view are different than what we've seen in the past. That's just the evolution of our judicial system."

"You can have mine. I have three or four more at home," Kemp said to Guyger. "This is your job for the next month. Right here, John 3:16."

"Delivering Bibles and personally witnessing as a judge is an egregious abuse of power," the foundation wrote in a letter to Texas officials. Kemp "transmitted her personal religious beliefs as a state official in an official proceeding of the gravest nature."

She also pointed to God: "As a woman of faith with strong Christian values, my husband and I fasted and prayed about my decision to run."

"We want out judges to be human and to show their humanity," said Renee Knake, a law professor at the University of Houston and expert in judicial ethics. "That's why our cases are decided by human beings and not machines."
Judge's hug not embraced by all after Dallas officer's trial

AG referenced praying and God.... I wouldn't reference either of those, would you?

Athiest here, and you can bet your sweet patooty if I thought it would help avoid or lessen a prison term I would act like I was ready to join a convent!

And this is precisely why so many people "find God" while serving their time. Parole boards love that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member