GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Just watched my DVR'd Botham Jean Case Examined in New 'Impact of Murder' Documentary on Investigation Discovery. (Six more episodes this season, I think I'll be watching) Darn, for some reason, I missed watching this trial or even following it at all after I had initially followed here. Perhaps it fell off my radar when I didn't catch a thread being locked and wasn't any longer on that "watched threads" list I come to when I log in.

I too thought it was well done, even if I didn't follow the trail.

As to the above question, it said that she was on the phone for 10 minutes in the parking garage before she supposedly moved up further to the wrong floor.

I had not known until watching this that she had not been giving him first aid, but was texting a few times, on the phone outside the apartment etc. Her hands didn't appear to have any blood on them at all from life saving efforts. THAT to me was shocking to hear. And hearing him moan on the 911 call, heartbreaking.

Just watched my DVR'd Botham Jean Case Examined in New 'Impact of Murder' Documentary on Investigation Discovery. (Six more episodes this season, I think I'll be watching) Darn, for some reason, I missed watching this trial or even following it at all after I had initially followed here. Perhaps it fell off my radar when I didn't catch a thread being locked and wasn't any longer on that "watched threads" list I come to when I log in.

As to the above question, it said that she was on the phone for 10 minutes in the parking garage before she supposedly moved up further to the wrong floor.

I had not known until watching this that she had not been giving him first aid, but was texting a few times, on the phone outside the apartment etc. Her hands didn't appear to have any blood on them at all from life saving efforts. THAT to me was shocking to hear. And hearing him moan on the 911 call, heartbreaking.

I agree, her immediate instincts/actions speak to her moral convictions. She texted her married BF first to then express on the 911 call that she didn’t want to lose her job while Botham lay losing his life.

The trial is being shown on the court tv app.

I don't believe for a moment he came at her or threatened her: I think he was so stunned when she walked in he may have gotten up off the couch for a brief second and maybe he started to say something: i would imagine he would have started to say like "who are you"-- but i think he was shot so fast he didn't have time to process what was going on.
I agree completely.

Though I believe she went to the wrong apartment in error, I strongly suspect that she was predisposed to shoot someone if given a pretense. I also strongly suspect that the race of the victim was a factor in that it made her that much more willing to use her weapon.

I know the prosecution intended to present social media messages that somewhat suggested that she had a predisposition to be "locked and loaded- and waiting for a reason", but the proposed evidence in this area was not very strong. To my knowledge, no evidence was found to suggest a racial bias.

I agree completely.

Though I believe she went to the wrong apartment in error, I strongly suspect that she was predisposed to shoot someone if given a pretense. I also strongly suspect that the race of the victim was a factor in that it made her that much more willing to use her weapon.

I know the prosecution intended to present social media messages that somewhat suggested that she had a predisposition to be "locked and loaded- and waiting for a reason", but the proposed evidence in this area was not very strong. To my knowledge, no evidence was found to suggest a racial bias.

Her judgment was so poor in so many ways that night , you just have to think that law enforcement was the wrong profession for her.

Year After Amber Guyger Found Guilty of Botham Jean Murder, Lawmakers Propose ‘Bo's Law'

Today marks the one year anniversary of a jury finding now-former Dallas police officer Amber Guyger guilty of the murder of Botham Jean. Guyger went to the wrong floor of her apartment and entered Jean’s apartment thinking it was her own. She shot and killed Jean thinking he was an intruder.

Guyger was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

Now a year later, a group of North Texas lawmakers have announced a new police and criminal justice reform bill called the “Botham Jean Act" or “Bo’s Law.”

f passed, Bo’s Law would address police body and dash camera recordings and amend the state’s castle doctrine.

Year After Amber Guyger Found Guilty of Botham Jean Murder, Lawmakers Propose ‘Bo's Law'

Today marks the one year anniversary of a jury finding now-former Dallas police officer Amber Guyger guilty of the murder of Botham Jean. Guyger went to the wrong floor of her apartment and entered Jean’s apartment thinking it was her own. She shot and killed Jean thinking he was an intruder.

Guyger was sentenced to 10 years in prison.

Now a year later, a group of North Texas lawmakers have announced a new police and criminal justice reform bill called the “Botham Jean Act" or “Bo’s Law.”

f passed, Bo’s Law would address police body and dash camera recordings and amend the state’s castle doctrine.

This is one of the most heart breaking cases I have ever heard of: I watched every minute of the trial and i think she got a fair sentence. If there is any good that could come out of this horror I hope Bo's Law will do that.

In the end, however, the court sentenced her to only 10, but she’s now appealing the charge in hopes of securing a lesser sentence.

Charles-Findley said this will prolong her family's mourning. “I don’t think I’ve really had time to mourn my brother because it has just been one event after another,” she said. “We had to deal with burying him, picking out a casket, dealing with the Texas Rangers and the case, then the trial comes through. Then after the trial, now it’s the appeal."

Guyger's attorney Michael Mowla will present arguments for the appeal during a hearing scheduled for April 27. Assistant District Attorney Douglas Gladden will argue on the state’s behalf.

The defense argues the charge should be reduced from murder to criminally negligent homicide. This is because Guyger claims she thought her life was in danger, justifying lethal force. The negligent homicide charge would lessen her jail time to between 180 days and two years. Another hearing would have to take place to determine her new punishment.
Ex-Cop Amber Guyger Appealing Murder Conviction in Botham Jean's Death

Gugyer's attorney Michael Mowla will represent her at the oral arguments, with assistant District Attorney Douglas Gladden acting on behalf of the state.

As of Feb. 25, Justices Lana Myers, Robbie Partida-Kipness and Dennise Garcia will make up the 3-justice panel to hear the case, though that could change.

Each attorney will have 20 minutes to make their case, with an additional 5 minutes for the appellant to make a rebuttal.
CASE EVENTS
[ PDF/170 KB ] oa confirmation
02/25/2021 Confirmation of oral argument & counsel presenting oral argument
[ PDF/167 KB ] oa confirmation
02/25/2021 Set for submission on oral argument
Case Detail

Date set for Amber Guyger's appeal of murder conviction in death of Botham Jean | wfaa.com

In the end, however, the court sentenced her to only 10, but she’s now appealing the charge in hopes of securing a lesser sentence.

Charles-Findley said this will prolong her family's mourning. “I don’t think I’ve really had time to mourn my brother because it has just been one event after another,” she said. “We had to deal with burying him, picking out a casket, dealing with the Texas Rangers and the case, then the trial comes through. Then after the trial, now it’s the appeal."

Guyger's attorney Michael Mowla will present arguments for the appeal during a hearing scheduled for April 27. Assistant District Attorney Douglas Gladden will argue on the state’s behalf.

The defense argues the charge should be reduced from murder to criminally negligent homicide. This is because Guyger claims she thought her life was in danger, justifying lethal force. The negligent homicide charge would lessen her jail time to between 180 days and two years. Another hearing would have to take place to determine her new punishment.
Ex-Cop Amber Guyger Appealing Murder Conviction in Botham Jean's Death

I think it will be difficult for her to prove her life was in danger-
she stormed into his apartment with a gun in her hands- he was unarmed-
he was watching TV-- he had no time to react to be a danger, and her
lie that he was charging her has no basis in fact-- to the best of my recall
his body was closer to the couch than the apartment door- she is fortunate
she didnt get a stiffer sentence

I think it will be difficult for her to prove her life was in danger-
she stormed into his apartment with a gun in her hands- he was unarmed-
he was watching TV-- he had no time to react to be a danger, and her
lie that he was charging her has no basis in fact-- to the best of my recall
his body was closer to the couch than the apartment door- she is fortunate
she didnt get a stiffer sentence

and he was eating a bowl of ice cream ....hardly a position of intent or anticipation to kill

and he was eating a bowl of ice cream ....hardly a position of intent or anticipation to kill

AG shows her true colors. She could care less about the forgiveness shown to her by Botham's family. A true sociopath. The fact that she called her union rep and attorney while the man she shot wasn't even cold...no surprise.

I bet that she hasn't even opened the Bible or prayed. The tears she shed that day were for herself. The only honest emotion she ever showed during the entire trial.

AG shows her true colors. She could care less about the forgiveness shown to her by Botham's family. A true sociopath. The fact that she called her union rep and attorney while the man she shot wasn't even cold...no surprise.

I bet that she hasn't even opened the Bible or prayed. The tears she shed that day were for herself. The only honest emotion she ever showed during the entire trial.

She should be grateful she only got 10 years!!!! pretty light sentence for the
crime she committed

Know this post is old, but curious about this tv show. Is it an actual documentary like Dateline or is it a recreation with actors?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB
Back