GUILTY TX - Former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger, indicted for Murder of Botham Shem Jean #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Amber Guyger, ex-Dallas officer who murdered Botham Jean, appeal denied by Texas' highest court

The murder conviction and 10-year prison sentence for Amber Guyger, the former Dallas police officer who fatally shot Botham Jean in his apartment in 2018, was upheld by Texas' highest criminal court on Wednesday.

The Court of Criminal Appeals refused to hear Guyger’s petition to review a lower court’s decision to uphold her 2019 conviction and sentence. Two justices – Judge Kevin Yeary and Judge Michelle Slaughter – wrote dissenting opinions but the rest of the court voted to not hear her appeal.

More at link below.

Amber Guyger appeal: Texas' highest court upholds conviction | wfaa.com

Supreme Court denies Amber Guyger's appeal in Botham Jean murder​

DALLAS — The Supreme Court has denied former Dallas police officer Amber Guyger's appeal over her murder conviction in the shooting death of Botham Jean in 2018, according to a ruling Monday.
Guyger's attorneys had argued in a petition for writ of certiorari that Guyger's "rights to due process were violated" over a lower court's interpretation of Guyger's self-defense and mistake-of-fact claims in the shooting.

The Supreme Court did not issue an opinion in the ruling Monday; Guyger's case proceedings page included an update that the petition had been denied.

More at link . . . Supreme Court denies Amber Guyger's appeal in Botham Jean murder

- A man accused of killing a witness in a high-profile murder trial four years ago has now been arrested.

Dallas County jail records show Thaddeous Greenwas booked in on May 18.

He’s charged with capital murder for the death of Joshua Brown.

Joshua Brown testifies during Amber Guyger's murder trial in 2018.
Brown lived next door to Botham Jean, the man who was killed by former Dallas police officer Amber Guyger in 2018.

Brown testified in Guyger’s murder trial the following year and was killed just days after that testimony.

He did not die in a car accident.
I still can’t believe she has never taken FULL responsibility. Ever. She was pre occupied with her married lover. She was self involved and overly important during her OFF DUTY travel home.

Confusion, iffy marked floors & over worked schedule was her defense.
She’s NOT in there long enough.

Disgusting
She will always disgust me.
MOO

Last edited:
“Yet still a rogue officer in the cloak of her police uniform, using her very weapon that was given to her by the Dallas Police Department and by extension the city of Dallas, at 9:59 p.m. on September 6, 2018, she shot my son,” Allison Jean said. “Right down the middle of his heart.”

Jean’s family on Wednesday called for accountability from the city of Dallas and publicly asked for a meeting with Mayor Eric Johnson.

Since her son’s death, Allison Jean said, the city’s leadership has exhibited a lack of respect for her family. She said Johnson has not responded to requests for a meeting with them.

“This is the city that took away my son,” said Allison Jean, who traveled to Dallas from the family’s native St. Lucia. “It is painful, it is hurtful and — I’m sorry — I hate Dallas.”

A city spokeswoman said in an email Johnson had met with the family and included a link to a video of the public street-renaming ceremony where they shared a stage. She said a reporter could file an open-records request about any private meetings.

The family’s attorney, Daryl Washington, said Guyger’s conviction was not the conclusion of justice for the Jean family.

Washington accused the city of Dallas of shirking responsibility in a wrongful-death lawsuit brought by the family in federal court in 2018.

The city declined to comment on the case, citing the pending litigation. Court records show the city has argued that it should be dismissed from the case, and Washington said he expects the court to side with the city.

Washington said, however, face time with the mayor would be meaningful for the family.

“Everyone loved Botham,” Allison Jean said. “He was infectious.”

The family also has sued the apartment complex where Botham Jean lived, alleging its floor layout and a faulty door contributed to his death. Court records show that lawsuit is pending.

Personally hoping and praying she receives her parole.
IMHO this was a tragic MISTAKE
There was confusion and she made a tragic error in judgement that took the life of a young talented and honorable gentleman.
She acted compulsively out of fear for her own life and safety without realizing she was on the wrong floor.

I’ve tried to open the wrong hotel door accidentally on more than one occasion before embarrassingly realizing my mistake.
My heart really goes out to Amber.

She should be allowed to rebuild her life.

Amazing testimony from Botham’s 18 year old brother. He speaks for what his brother would have wanted for Amber. Moving and touching.

Last edited:

Personally hoping and praying she receives her parole.
IMHO this was a tragic MISTAKE
There was confusion and she made a tragic error in judgement that took the life of a young talented and honorable gentleman.
She acted compulsively out of fear for her own life and safety without realizing she was on the wrong floor.

I’ve tried to open the wrong hotel door accidentally on more than one occasion before embarrassingly realizing my mistake.
My heart really goes out to Amber.

She should be allowed to rebuild her life.

Amazing testimony from Botham’s 18 year old brother. He speaks for what his brother would have wanted for Amber. Moving and touching.
I can understand your mistake at the hotel but I am guessing you didn't then pull out a gun and shoot a man sitting on the couch eating ice cream. Whatever way you choose to describe it, under Texas law she committed murder. Don't be surprised if parole is denied.

Unfortunately, she'll probably get parole. And, she only spent 6 years in jail for this heinous crime? Sickening. She should have stayed in jail for the rest of her natural life at the least. This is obvious favoritism given that she was an authority figure. If a non-authority figure had murdered someone they would have been in jail for a lot longer than this.

Note that other authority figures tried to help her cover up her crime. Not surprising.

This crime was completely preventable/avoidable. I remember the case very well. She "mistakenly" went to this innocent man's apartment (thinking she was at her own) & murdered him. When she saw him sitting in his own chair she should have immediately realized that she was at the wrong apartment & left. However, if she still wasn't sure - she should have turned the light on & then she would have known where she was. Note there was also a unique red doormat outside the front door that should have clued her in that she was in the wrong place before she even walked in.

Note that I can see going to the wrong apt. & maybe even walking in. I think some of us have, on occasion, gone to the wrong place by mistake (especially hotel rooms & cars in parking lots). But, once we realize our mistake we will apologize & then leave.

And, someone like this was an authority figure with a gun?! Actually, this is not surprising at all.

Also, note that this type of crime could & does happen to a lot of innocent people. There have been numerous cases of authority figures going to the wrong house & murdering innocent people there who have done nothing wrong. These perps. should be severely punished - but instead they're given either 0 punishment; slaps on the wrist; or light sentences because many delusional people in our society mistakenly think that authority figures can do no wrong. Pathetic!!!

Last edited:
I’ve tried to open the wrong hotel door accidentally on more than one occasion before embarrassingly realizing my mistake. My heart really goes out to Amber. She should be allowed to rebuild her life.

Hard disagree. This wasn't a case of someone going to the wrong hotel/apt. room & realizing their mistake, apologizing, and then leaving....or, a case of pizza or mail being delivered to the wrong address. Conversely, this was a cold-blooded murder.

Last edited:
I can understand your mistake at the hotel but I am guessing you didn't then pull out a gun and shoot a man sitting on the couch eating ice cream. Whatever way you choose to describe it, under Texas law she committed murder. Don't be surprised if parole is denied.
I do hope she’s denied parole. Six years is not enough for homicde.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jasonax3
Back