TX - Former NFL Antonio Armstrong & wife Dawn, both 42, fatally shot, Houston, *son charged* 29 Jul 2016 *Mistrials, 3rd trial in 2023 Guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

AUGUST 15, 2023, 4:07 PM (LAST UPDATED: AUGUST 15, 2023, 5:29 PM)

After a years-long legal battle and two mistrials, a man accused of killing his parents in 2016 has filed a federal lawsuit accusing the Houston Police Department of allegedly planting evidence in an effort to push forward a false conviction.

This comes as a new set of jurors continue to deliberate whether to convict 23-year-old Antonio “AJ” Armstrong Jr. for the murder his parents, Dawn and Antonio Armstrong Sr. Court records say the couple was shot in the head with a .22-caliber pistol owned Armstrong’s father while they slept in the family's Bellaire-area home on July 29, 2016.
Read the full copy of lawsuit at above link.

What an allegation to make:

19. "There is a long history of planting evidence by the City of Houston police."

View attachment 441122
Likely one reference is the killing of Rhogena Nicholas and Dennis Tuttle in the botched Harding St. raid. Evidence was planted. Cover-up. Many old convictions thrown out and people released due to all the dirty cops involved. The ripple effects from that will last forever and always taint HPD.

Saddest case. Two innocent people in their own house.
They killed their dog too!

So does everyone think he’s guilty? I haven’t followed but the little I have read…. I couldn’t send him away.

So does everyone think he’s guilty? I haven’t followed but the little I have read…. I couldn’t send him away.

IHNI, no trial streams and I can't even find a full stream of the closings today. The longest one I found starts sometime after the prosecution's closing argument starts.

Updated: August 15, 2023 at 7:18 PM

The jury deliberated until 7 p.m. Tuesday night but did not reach a verdict. They must report back to court at 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, according to Judge Johnson.

I believe this is a legitimate lawsuit and can't blame him for filing the complaint. Curious why it wasn't done at beginning of trial rather than wait until jury deliberating. Maybe it was held up in court? moo.
You can file anytime you choose. It was not held up in court. A filing is just a filing. It is curious timing. Publicity? Activism? Expecting a bad outcome? IDK
♂️ have not read the complete filing. Seems like BS to me.

Wednesday, August 16th:
*Trial continues (Day 13)-VERDICT WATCH! (@ 9:30am CT) – TX – Antonio & Dawn Armstrong (both 42) (July 29, 2016, Houston) – *Antonio “A.J.” Armstrong, Jr. (16 @ time of crime/17/now 23) arrested (7/29/16), charged (8/1/16) & arraigned (7/26/17) with capital murder. Plead not guilty. $200K bond. Out on bond 4/12/17.
First trial: after ~20 hours of deliberations verdict was 8 Guilty & 4 Not guilty. Judge declares mistrial.
2nd Re-trial After ~18 hours of deliberations verdict was 4 for Guilty & 8 not guilty. Judge Kelli Johnson declared (another) mistrial.
3rd Re-trial began on 5/2/23 with jury selection & ended 5/19/23 with total of 48 potential jurors back on 5/31/23 for final jury selection.
12 jurors & 4 alternates were selected. (6 women (4 white & 2 Hispanic women) & 10 men (4 Hispanic, 2 Black, 2 white & 2 Asian men). Four of these jurors are alternates, but those 4 are not being told that until it’s time to deliberate.
There are two Marines, engineers in the oil & gas industry, a retired teacher, a Space Center Houston worker & therapists who work or have worked with mental health patients. The jurors range in age from a 26-year-old man to a 65-year-old grandmother. 6/27/23 Update: One of the original twelve jurors was excused for personal reasons. That means one of the four alternates is moving into the jury of 12 to hear the case, leaving the court with three alternate jurors.
12 jurors & 3 alternates as of 6/27/23. (6 women & 9 men).
Trial began on 7/31/23. Judge Kelli Johnson presiding. Prosecutors John Jordan, Ryan Trask & Sarah Seely. Defense attorneys Rick Detoto, Jennifer Carpenter & Chris Collings.
State rested their case on 8/11/23. Defense rested their case on 8/14/23. Closing arguments done on 8/15/23. Jury started deliberations on 8/15/23 @ ~2pm to 7pm=~5 hours.

Court info from 12/11/19 thru 10/26/22 (2nd trial) thru Jury Selection 5/31/23 thru 6/14/23 & thru 6/27/23 & Trial Day 1-11 (7/31-8/14/23) reference post #598 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...l-2016-mistrial-retrial-1-6-20.313665/page-30

8/15/23 Tuesday, Trial Day 12: Closing arguments: The state & defense finished delivering their closing arguments at 1:45 p.m. The jury retired for the night at about 7 p.m., five hours after the panel received the case. The jurors are being sequestered at a hotel, meaning they're restricted from cell phones and televisions. In addition, each juror can be alone only in their individual room, and if they are together, a bailiff must accompany them.
For more info see posts # 613here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...16-mistrials-3rd-trial-in-2023.313665/page-31
Trial continues on Wednesday, 8/16/23 with jury deliberations.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
world1971
Back