TX TX - Gregory Wedel-Morales, Army soldier, 23, found deceased, Fort Hood, 19 August 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Oh wow. Other "unidentified remains"
Hope it's just an animal.....

That link just took me to the main FB page of KWTX News.... heres an article about it:
‘Unidentified remains’ found near area where soldier’s remains were discovered

And a direct link to the specific FB Post:
KWTX News 10

The memorial marking individuals uploaded their own footage to YT. More remains and the pieces of the clothing believed to belong to GWM found. They phoned LE and an Officer can be heard talking on the phone to GWM's mother -- apologizing and stating the evidence will be sent to Dallas where soldier's remains were previously sent for autopsy. :eek::eek::eek:

Family of Fort Hood soldier whose remains found in Killeen wants military funeral

June 28, 2020

GWM was located in a field about 4 miles from Ft Hood.

SOCIETY
Family of Fort Hood soldier whose remains found in Killeen wants military funeral

Sunday, June 28, 2020 1:26PM

KILLEEN, Texas (KTRK) -- The family of Gregory Morales, whose remains were found in a field in Killeen, are fighting to get him a military funeral.

According to KXXV-TV, when Morales disappeared in August 2019, the U.S. Army listed it as desertion. Now, Morales' family is responsible for the cost of the funeral, and Morales won't receive a proper military burial.

"He was NOT AWOL or a deserter. He was murdered," Morales' mother, Kim Wedel wrote in a Facebook post. "He deserves all honors and respect due to a soldier."

Morales also went by his former last name of Wedel and was in the midst of being discharged from the Army. The end of his military service was due to be finalized within a couple of days of his disappearance.

The family reached out to U.S. Rep. John Carter to help advocate on Morales' behalf. Carter told KXXV in a statement that he has reached out to Fort Hood.

Morales' brother said the Army is waiting for autopsy results, but they said that they won't clear his deserter status unless he has been dead for 10 months.

BBM

They won't clear his deserter status unless he has been dead for 10 months?
And in the meantime his family must pay for his funeral expenses and transportation of the remains back to OK.
Sheesh.

BBM

They won't clear his deserter status unless he has been dead for 10 months?
And in the meantime his family must pay for his funeral expenses and transportation of the remains back to OK.
Sheesh.

Sad, isn't it... I believe the dod will come after his autopsy results completed. Seriously, if they collected skeletal remains, I hardly think GWM was partying in Las Vegas since August. Nope. He was dead.

I also think there had to be something going on behind the scenes-- unknown to the public-- that GWM was deemed AWOL at 30 days because VG, missing since April 22, was never deemed AWOL. MOO

It is evident GWM and VG's cases have been handled very differently only proves this base is mismanaged. Rules and protocol should be the same for every soldier, male/female, young/old. If there was any evidence of foul play in either of these cases they should be able to hold off on AWOL/deserter status until questions are answered.

These cases need to be brought to the attention of the higher ups and this base needs a major overhaul in my opinion.

I expect better from our military. Our soldiers deserve better.

Does anyone know how she gets to remain on post housing when Gregory was reported AWOL? Just curious!
That's a good question. I remember when a friend died while on on duty, his wife and kids were given a few months to get sorted and move off post. It does seem a long time since he was awol/ not awol.
Interestingly, she will get his back pay and benefits unless he named a different beneficiary, even then she would get a percentage. Moo.
EDITED to add.
Unless she turns out to be involved in his death. Moo.

Last edited:
That's a good question. I remember when a friend died while on on duty, his wife and kids were given a few months to get sorted and move off post. It does seem a long time since he was awol/ not awol.
Interestingly, she will get his back pay and benefits unless he named a different beneficiary, even then she would get a percentage. Moo.

She could also be a soldier herself, but not sure about that. IMO

From this earlier report, it appears GWM & PM were only in the process of separation. If correct, I believe that also entitles her to back pay benefits.

Remains of missing Fort Hood soldier Gregory Wedel-Morales found in Killeen, foul play suspected

June 21, 2020

The United States Army Criminal Investigation Division (CID) received a tip that there was a body in a field located in Killeen. CID called in local police and a Texas Parks and Wildlife K-9 to help with the search. That K-9 located the skeletal remains.

Kim Wedel, the mother of Private Second-Class Gregory Wedel-Morales tells FOX 7 Austin the remains have been identified as his.

[..]

Chief of Public Affairs for CID, Christopher Grey told FOX 7 Austin the circumstances surrounding Wedel-Morales’ disappearance were “suspicious.”

In December Wedel-Morales’ family saw on CARFAX that someone in the Dallas-area was trying to have his car inspected, and alerted CID. In January, they saw the car was transferred to Killeen. In May, CID told Wedel-Morales’ mother, Kim Wedel, that they took the car into possession in January -- promising to run tests.

[..]

Wedel says her son was “always willing to help anybody.” He grew up in Oklahoma, the eldest of three boys.

She says he “always wanted to join the military,” following in the footsteps of his “dad, uncle, grandfather,” and “many other people.” He joined the Army immediately following high school graduation in 2014.

[..]

In August 2019, he was in the process of separation. bbm

Family hopes autopsy will help strike dead Fort Hood soldier’s name from deserter list

July 8, 2020

Morales was experiencing some personal issues at the time of his disappearance, and he told his mother that he was saving up money to hire a divorce attorney. Wedel is still in touch with Morales’ wife, whose name the soldier took after marriage.

“Legally, she has the say-so in everything that happens to him, but she has graciously said that anything we want to do, she’ll let us,” Wedel explained. “So we want to bring him back to Oklahoma.” bbm

CZV4X5DHDZFNXMPFGA5RBGRRN4.png

Last edited:
I still want to know where/who the tip came from as to location of his body.

The finding comes only a week after they raised the reward for information in the case. The where the remains were located backs up to Kings Court off of Florence Road and is surrounded by neighborhoods.

Obviously somebody that waited for a reward to be offered. I'm sure evidence will show GWM went dark after meeting others at the night club. I think many knew what happened to GWM.

I also think it was a matter of kill him now because there would be no later as the victim was about to move back to OK.

This soldier's case was only helped moved forward because of the misfortune of a murdered fellow soldier or Vanessa Guillen.

Remains of missing Fort Hood soldier Gregory Wedel-Morales found in Killeen, foul play suspected

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mel18
Back