TX - Gunman in Hijacked Mail Truck, multiple victims, Midland/Odessa, 31 August 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Or West Virginia:

Report: West Virginia has more gun-related crime than most states

You know sadly, people expect there to be a lot of homicides in poorer urban settings where there might be a lot of gang activity. Like in certain parts of Chicago. It in super poor rural areas like parts of West Virginia. Poverty and joblessness go hand in hand with gang activity and/or overall crime.

But they don't expect a suburban, middle class area to become a war zone.

So it is very alarming that people were murdered just driving along in Midland and Odessa.
I understand your logic...but I don't think expecting it changes the finality of death regardless of the location. Not sure what you mean by suburban, middle class area. These are oil towns with lots of money.
My post was regarding an area that would be a better test area for protective clothing. I just thought an area that had a high crime rate would produce better test results. Nothing against Chicago. I happen to have that city foremost in my mind since my granddaughter entered Wheaton just last week. I do worry about her being that close to the City.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...high-school-student-beloved-uncle-father-two/
[...]

A former math teacher was shot while sitting at a traffic light with his wife and children. A beloved uncle was hit outside the home he had just moved out of. A high school student bled out after leaving a dealership where her brother had just picked up the keys to his new car.

[...]

Here are some of the people who did not survive, according to loved ones who spoke to The Washington Post and other media outlets — and the stories of the reeling friends and family they left behind.

Edwin Peregrino was visiting his parents in Odessa when he heard gunshots outside.

At first, they appeared to be coming from afar.

But when he ran into the yard to investigate, according to his older sister, a gunman sped by and opened fire, killing Peregrino just outside the home he’d moved out of weeks earlier.

[...]

Leilah Hernandez had just celebrated her quinceañera in May.

[...]

The party lived up to the Odessa High School student’s excitement, Leyva said. She looked and felt like a princess in an enormous green dress. “It was like a dream for her,” Leyva said.

spacer.gif

Leyva told The Post that Leilah’s mother has been in a kind of daze as she mourns her daughter’s death. She is relieved to be stuck at the Odessa hospital, where dozens of relatives wait for updates on Leilah’s wounded brother, Nathan, still in the Intensive Care Unit, because she dreads going home to Leilah’s room, Leyva said.

[...]

Carla Byrne, the oldest sister of Joseph Griffith, 40, told The Post that her brother was killed by the gunman while sitting at a traffic light with his wife and two children.

“This maniac pulled up next to him and shot him, took away his life, murdered my baby brother. Like nothing,” she said. “We are so broken.”

Byrne recalled her brother’s sense of humor, hallmarked by an uncanny ability to impersonate anyone. But nothing, she said, superseded his devotion to his wife and children.

He worked six days a week to support them, she added.

[...]

Mary Granados, 29, was nearing the end of her shift as a letter carrier when the gunman hijacked her vehicle, twin sister Rosie Granados told CNN.

Rosie told the network that she heard her sibling scream on the phone as she was shot.

“It was very painful,” she said. “I just wanted to help her, and I couldn’t. I thought she had got bit by a dog or something. I tried calling her name, and she wouldn’t answer.”

Knowing her sister’s mail route, Rosie drove off to find her, CNN reported.

[...]
These people were loved and they will be missed. Overwhelming how many people are in pain and mourning because of random acts of gun violence. Seriously overwhelming.

jmo

Are states with high gun ownership also the states with high numbers of gun crimes??

Someone recently told me this... I have not done any research but it kinda makes sense atm... Maybe?!?

ETA: maybe this question and it's answer have been discussed by many on gun-control debates but I have always just steered clear of debating the issue (personally).

I live in Montana, and I don't think any state aside from Alaska has more people who own guns, and even multiple guns.

One time, my daughter's high school class, had everyone who had a gun in the home, stand up, almost every student stood up. The teacher asked students to sit down if their family had less than 10 guns, less than 20....at less than 30 guns in the home, there were still students standing!

Death toll in Midland-Odessa mass shooting climbs to eight, including the shooter
[...]

"You will notice I am not naming the subject," Gerke said during a Sunday press conference attended by Gov. Greg Abbott. "I refuse to. I am not going to give him any notoriety for what he did."

Gerke said authorities would release the alleged shooter's name, but not during a nationally-televised press conference; the Wall Street Journal, citing law enforcement sources, later identified him as 36-year-old Seth Ator.

[...]

Authorities do not have a motive for the weekend's shootings, but CNN reported that a neighbor of the suspected gunman, Veronica Alonzo, said he showed up at her home one night last month and threatened her with a rifle for leaving trash in a nearby dumpster. She said he would shoot at targets at night.

Gerke said though they cannot confirm that the shooter's intent was to enter the theater, it begs the question of why he would go there if he did not plan to go inside.

"A Saturday in Odessa, that is one of the most crowded places," Gerke said.

[...]

Death toll in Midland-Odessa mass shooting climbs to eight, including the shooter
[...]

"You will notice I am not naming the subject," Gerke said during a Sunday press conference attended by Gov. Greg Abbott. "I refuse to. I am not going to give him any notoriety for what he did."

Gerke said authorities would release the alleged shooter's name, but not during a nationally-televised press conference; the Wall Street Journal, citing law enforcement sources, later identified him as 36-year-old Seth Ator.

[...]

Authorities do not have a motive for the weekend's shootings, but CNN reported that a neighbor of the suspected gunman, Veronica Alonzo, said he showed up at her home one night last month and threatened her with a rifle for leaving trash in a nearby dumpster. She said he would shoot at targets at night.

Gerke said though they cannot confirm that the shooter's intent was to enter the theater, it begs the question of why he would go there if he did not plan to go inside.

"A Saturday in Odessa, that is one of the most crowded places," Gerke said.

[...]
I do think he was headed to that theatre.

Thank goodness LE knew how to prevent him from getting inside the building.

Might be a false lead to a dead end, but what movies were showing?

jmo

[...]

And wasn't held accountable for these gun-related misbehaviors? Snipped and bolded by me.

I do think he was headed to that theatre.

Thank goodness LE knew how to prevent him from getting inside the building.

Might be a false lead to a dead end, but what movies were showing?

jmo
I do too. It's really scary when you think about how close he was. I have no idea what movies were showing. :oops: MOO
And wasn't held accountable for these gun-related misbehaviors? Snipped and bolded by me.
Doesn't sound like it, does it? :mad: MOO

I live in Montana, and I don't think any state aside from Alaska has more people who own guns, and even multiple guns.

One time, my daughter's high school class, had everyone who had a gun in the home, stand up, almost every student stood up. The teacher asked students to sit down if their family had less than 10 guns, less than 20....at less than 30 guns in the home, there were still students standing!

Thank you for replying! And, especially for not taking offense to my question.

Snoods did you ever make contact with your son? I know it had to be agonizing for you when you couldn't reach him.

I'm so sad this officer's career may end. So many of our officers across our nation are assaulted, and many are left with life altering injuries with their lives changed forever.

It's so tragic for they all will say all they ever want to be is a police officer. Yet, from so many serious assaults against them they are unable to continue doing what they love to do, and many are left totally disable. :(

So many give selflessly to the communities they love, and sacrifice so much in order to keep their community safe.

We all owe so much to each one because every day they get up once again.. put their uniforms on, kiss the ones they dearly love, goodbye... while never knowing if they will ever see them again.

It takes a totally selfless individual to put their lives on the line to protect all others, and they face the worst most dangerous individuals in our society.

Jmhoo

Thank you for everyone’s concern. Agonizing, yes. A feeling you can’t describe.

My son called me very apologetically at 6:30am this morning and is fine. He had been out on a late night, early morning job and was safe at home, asleep.

He said some of it happened very close to where he lives. Nothing rattles him and he is always the calm to my anxious but he sounded shaken up about it.

Thank you for replying! And, especially for not taking offense to my question.
Looking at this map, it seems that North Dakota, Wyoming, and Hawaii are the only states that haven't had a mass shooting since Sandy Hook. I would assume that ND and WY have relatively high gun ownership while HI would have low, though I haven't confirmed that.

(Sad to notice that it looks like the map was updated six days ago, making it already out-of-date.)

Mass shootings since Sandy Hook, in one map

Edited to add: If you keep scrolling at the link, there is another map showing which states haven't had a mass shooting. I didn't scroll that far when I first posted.

That can work both ways. A friend was in a long meeting where he couldn’t answer or even look at his phone. His phone kept vibrating, someone was sending a lot of text messages. When the meeting ended he read the messages from his daughter. She was hiding in the back of a restaurant during the Paris terrorist attack.
Oh Jesus. That gave me chills from head to toe.

"He was pulled over for failing to use his signal." Seriously? By this criteria, 3/4 of the drivers at any given time could be pulled over for this...

Texas shootings: Gunman kills 7, injures at least 22 in rampage that started with a traffic stop - CNN
It’s happened to me! Consider 3/4 of the drivers aren’t in front of a cop when they do it. Just don’t do it in front of a cop.

I was also recently pulled over for having a tail light out. Not given a ticket, just a warning.

Thank you for everyone’s concern. Agonizing, yes. A feeling you can’t describe.

My son called me very apologetically at 6:30am this morning and is fine. He had been out on a late night, early morning job and was safe at home, asleep.

He said some of it happened very close to where he lives. Nothing rattles him and he is always the calm to my anxious but he sounded shaken up about it.

Very glad to hear that he is safe and sound.

Looking at this map, it seems that North Dakota, Wyoming, and Hawaii are the only states that haven't had a mass shooting since Sandy Hook. I would assume that ND and WY have relatively high gun ownership while HI would have low, though I haven't confirmed that.

(Sad to notice that it looks like the map was updated six days ago, making it already out-of-date.)

Mass shootings since Sandy Hook, in one map

Edited to add: If you keep scrolling at the link, there is another map showing which states haven't had a mass shooting. I didn't scroll that far when I first posted.

Thank you for the link. Earlier I attempted to Google some answers to my question but I'm never sure which info is impartial. I became a bit frustrated and just waited for info here ;)

Thank you for the link. Earlier I attempted to Google some answers to my question but I'm never sure which info is impartial. I became a bit frustrated and just waited for info here ;)
Exactly. This (and any) information is so easily skewed, it’s difficult to trust what you read these days.

Some reports include domestic murder/suicide in one home as mass shootings.

Exactly. This (and any) information is so easily skewed, it’s difficult to trust what you read these days.

Some reports include domestic murder/suicide in one home as mass shootings.
On the link above to the map, scroll to the end of the page. There is a chart showing mass shootings...but also murders (that are not mass murders) and suicides. Of those three categories, mass shootings are by far the fewest in number of gun-related deaths in this county.

jmo

Not sure this means anything at all, but here is a list of the movies showing at the theatre:

Good Boys
Angel Has Fallen
Ready or Not
The Lion King
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
The Angry Birds Movie 2
Overcomer
Dora and the Lost City of Gold
Toy Story 4
47 Meters Down: Uncaged
The Peanut Butter Falcon
Don't Let Go
Bennett's War
Spider-Man: Far From Home

I also see this description: “Enjoy movies, games, parties, and events at Cinergy Odessa ... Fully loaded arcades on a leading-edge Odessa Cinergy game floor invite you to test your skills in different games.”

I’m not familiar with most of these movies, but I can see from the list that there would be many families and kids in the theatre on Saturday afternoon, in the movies, at the arcade, or celebrating parties. Thank goodness he never made it inside, if that was his intention (which seems likely, imo).

Source The website for the theatre is currently stating the place is closed, but this info was found by a google search: “what's showing cinergy odessa texas.”

jmo

Although the shooter's name is not being broadcast, I am curious to know, what contributed to this man doing this?
He's no teenager set to avenge classmates he felt slighted him.
I've read that he has a record. What kind of record?
Does he have a history of mental illness?
Violence?
If so, how did he get his gun or guns?
Did he do drugs?
Did he follow a religion?
I do not care what his name is. I care what his character was.
I truly think that the more we analyze these people, the closer we will get to seeing the warning signs for mass murderers.

In my opinion, this jerk planned to kill ever single person he pointed and fired his gun at.
Thank God he was not a good marksman.
And, why is it mostly boys and men who do these terrible things?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abberline vs Edmund Reid
Back