TX - Gunman in Hijacked Mail Truck, multiple victims, Midland/Odessa, 31 August 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It is interesting how we know the names of Nicholas Cruz, Adam Lanza, Dylan Klebold...immediately, but not the names of their victims.
I am sure some victims are remembered from such incidents, because of publicity or personal coincidence.

For example, a few Santa Fe school shooting victims (Khan, Tisdale, Stone, Black) have names of people I know. Aunt Farida survived multiple shots at Sutherland Spring.

I have to look up the killers in both cases. These killers become infamous only if they are kept in the public consciousness, long after the incident.

There should be a victim memorial website that NEVER mention the killers or gory incident details.

We are so heartbroken to hear that our dear friend Leilah Hernandez, has passed away to be with our Lord Jesus. We still don't want to believe it. She was a victim in the tragic event that took place today in Odessa. We are grateful to have been a part of her life, and it hurts our hearts greatly that she is no longer with us on this earth. We had the privilege to have captured her & her families memories in her quince. She wasn't just a client, she was a good friend of ours. Such a sweet girl, with such a big heart. Beautiful inside and out.❤️ Please keep her and her family in your prayers. Joanna Leyva May you rest in peace Leilah. You will be missed.

Odessa Victims Include Cops, a Baby, a High Schooler and a Postal Carrier
I am so sorry for your loss.

According to CBS news he was pulled over because they had several reports that he was driving erratically.
I wonder if he was purposely trying to attract LE. Imo
I suggested that early on.

SA turned left in front of a police car, without signalling.
He didn't stop after the officers wanted him to stop.
He managed to shoot one officer through the rear window.

Above description is in news articles linked earlier. I think the "erratic" driving was after that stop, because he was shooting while driving.

With all of these random shootings in public places, perhaps there's a need for lightweight, stylish body armor designed for the consumer "soccer mom" market. Maybe Walmart can help get the ball rolling on a massive scale. That's the only way I can imagine that members of the general public will be even a little less likely to die in these situations. IMO
Texas could lead the way. Everyone in body armour, bulletproof helmet, carrying guns. We will need another state to do the opposite and compare mass murders after a decade. Scientific test.

Texas could lead the way. Everyone in body armour, bulletproof helmet, carrying guns. We will need another state to do the opposite and compare mass murders after a decade. Scientific test.
Such a scary thought that we need BPVs to be safe in society. So much random violence! And it is happening more and more in smaller cities.

With all of these random shootings in public places, perhaps there's a need for lightweight, stylish body armor designed for the consumer "soccer mom" market. Maybe Walmart can help get the ball rolling on a massive scale. That's the only way I can imagine that members of the general public will be even a little less likely to die in these situations. IMO

You’re still far more likely to be killed in a car accident (or any number of other ways), than a mass shooting.

Psychology, I think something like body armor would be detrimental.

You’d be better off wearing a helmet while driving your car, than walking around in body armor.

If saving your life is your primary concern.

Best test market would be Chicago. jmo

Or West Virginia:

Report: West Virginia has more gun-related crime than most states

You know sadly, people expect there to be a lot of homicides in poorer urban settings where there might be a lot of gang activity. Like in certain parts of Chicago. It in super poor rural areas like parts of West Virginia. Poverty and joblessness go hand in hand with gang activity and/or overall crime.

But they don't expect a suburban, middle class area to become a war zone.

So it is very alarming that people were murdered just driving along in Midland and Odessa.

Local TV station had to evacuate live on air during the shooting Saturday

1 hr 46 min ago
Local TV station had to evacuate live on air during the shooting Saturday

CNN affiliate KOSA-TV anchors were live on air at their studio in Music City Mall on Saturday when anchor Matthew Alvarez saw people running frantically.

The mall was being evacuated because of the shooting.

“There’s something going on over there,” Alvarez said on air to fellow anchor Jay Hendricks. “Jay we probably need to go. Jay we probably need to get off the air. Let’s go,”

“We’re going to leave the set," Hendricks told viewers. "We’re going to step away just for a minute. We don’t know what’s going on. People running through the mall, so we need to see what this is.”

Alvarez told CNN on Sunday his mother was also in the studio with him.

"She was terrified," Alvarez said.

[...]

Are states with high gun ownership also the states with high numbers of gun crimes??

Someone recently told me this... I have not done any research but it kinda makes sense atm... Maybe?!?

ETA: maybe this question and it's answer have been discussed by many on gun-control debates but I have always just steered clear of debating the issue (personally).

Seth Ator: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Property records in Ector County show that Ator purchased a lot on Cavalli Circle in Odessa in January of 2018.

The address listed on Ector County’s website does not come up on Google maps. Heavy reached out to a nearby business called JH Safety & Trucking to ask about Cavalli Circle and whether the area was commercial or residential.

The man who answered the phone, who did not wish to be identified by name, described the street as a relatively new development in west Texas. He explained that the area had originally comprised mobile homes but that businesses have been moving in recently. The man confirmed that Seth Ator lived there, referring to Ator as his neighbor. He said the shooting had left him stunned because Ator had been a quiet person who “didn’t bother anybody.”

Authorities engineered a crash with the West Texas shooter, bringing him to a standstill
40 min ago
Authorities engineered a crash with the West Texas shooter, bringing him to a standstill
a9b33c47-7595-4293-b63a-ab9fadab42bc.jpg

[...]

Police slammed a vehicle into the hijacked mail van the gunman was driving. The van was sent spinning into a group of cars and was then encircled by authorities in the parking lot, according to bystander video and Nodolf.

“Law enforcement at that point in time had collectively taken efforts to surround him, and he was not going to go anywhere, and he was not going to hurt anybody else,” Nodolf said in an interview.

“That is the definition of heroism, when you have people you know are walking into the fire and could be hit, and they were.”

Odessa and Midland police, as well as officers from the University of Texas Permian Basin, exchanged gunfire with the gunman, and were able to take him into custody after wounding him in the parking lot, Nodolf said.

[...]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...high-school-student-beloved-uncle-father-two/
[...]

A former math teacher was shot while sitting at a traffic light with his wife and children. A beloved uncle was hit outside the home he had just moved out of. A high school student bled out after leaving a dealership where her brother had just picked up the keys to his new car.

[...]

Here are some of the people who did not survive, according to loved ones who spoke to The Washington Post and other media outlets — and the stories of the reeling friends and family they left behind.

Edwin Peregrino was visiting his parents in Odessa when he heard gunshots outside.

At first, they appeared to be coming from afar.

But when he ran into the yard to investigate, according to his older sister, a gunman sped by and opened fire, killing Peregrino just outside the home he’d moved out of weeks earlier.

[...]

Leilah Hernandez had just celebrated her quinceañera in May.

[...]

The party lived up to the Odessa High School student’s excitement, Leyva said. She looked and felt like a princess in an enormous green dress. “It was like a dream for her,” Leyva said.

spacer.gif

Leyva told The Post that Leilah’s mother has been in a kind of daze as she mourns her daughter’s death. She is relieved to be stuck at the Odessa hospital, where dozens of relatives wait for updates on Leilah’s wounded brother, Nathan, still in the Intensive Care Unit, because she dreads going home to Leilah’s room, Leyva said.

[...]

Carla Byrne, the oldest sister of Joseph Griffith, 40, told The Post that her brother was killed by the gunman while sitting at a traffic light with his wife and two children.

“This maniac pulled up next to him and shot him, took away his life, murdered my baby brother. Like nothing,” she said. “We are so broken.”

Byrne recalled her brother’s sense of humor, hallmarked by an uncanny ability to impersonate anyone. But nothing, she said, superseded his devotion to his wife and children.

He worked six days a week to support them, she added.

[...]

Mary Granados, 29, was nearing the end of her shift as a letter carrier when the gunman hijacked her vehicle, twin sister Rosie Granados told CNN.

Rosie told the network that she heard her sibling scream on the phone as she was shot.

“It was very painful,” she said. “I just wanted to help her, and I couldn’t. I thought she had got bit by a dog or something. I tried calling her name, and she wouldn’t answer.”

Knowing her sister’s mail route, Rosie drove off to find her, CNN reported.

[...]

Lest this adds to any possible conspiracy theories, I wanted to mention something. I don't think we're supposed to cite mylife here, because it's often inaccurate, but there was a page there for the gunman. Since his name was released today, people have been editing the page, apparently trying to connect the gunman with whatever groups they hated (Jews, Hispanics, Native Americans, African Americans, Democrats, Republicans -- it kept changing) as well as adding weird or nonsensical things. People were also adding reviews whose goal was to connect the gunman to one of those groups. I called the company to complain.

It took a while to make myself understood -- the woman who answered was clearly in another country and hadn't heard about the shooting. (At one point she said I should tell the person whose bio it was to contact them. I explained that he had been shot dead by police.) Finally she consulted with her supervisor and removed the profile. I hope it stays gone -- there is no need to add insults (to others) to injury and death for too many. JMO

I believe the same thing happened with the El Paso shooter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08
Back