TX - Hailey Dunn, 13, Colorado City, 27 Dec 2010 - #57

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm concerned with the 2.5 hours that SA's cell phone did NOT ping. There is a map of an area just south of CC that someone posted, which is a dead area as far as cell phone access. There is also a direct FM road going to that area from CC which connects to another FM road that leads right to Big Spring.

Which brings me to the question, will a cell phone ping if it is simply turned off with the battery still in it? I have tried to research this information and some experts say yes it will and some say no it won't. Does anyone know for sure?

Okay, I found this interesting. This article is saying that even though a phone will ping when no calls are made, companies don't usually log that data into a database. They only log the data when a call is made or text sent. (ETA: So the "live" pings can be used to find a missing person, etc., but are not stored. Only calls/texts are stored. Make sense?)

So IF this is correct, then he was using the phone while pinging off the tower in CCity:

bbm
Cellular providers tend not to retain moment-by-moment logs of when each mobile device contacts the tower, in part because there's no business reason to store the data, and in part because the storage costs would be prohibitive. They do, however, keep records of what tower is in use when a call is initiated or answered--and those records are generally stored for six months to a year, depending on the company.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10451518-38.html#ixzz1DBzNxgtN

In response to impatientredhead's query:
I wonder what chainsaw he used for this particular hobby, where it was located, and where it is currently.

That's all in the affidavit:

According to Roger OSTRANDER, Hailey DUNN’s maternal uncle, after Hailey DUNN’s disappearance, ADKINS and OSTRANDER were speaking about the disappearance and OSTRANDER stated he could not believe anybody would hurt a 13 year old little girl, to which ADKINS replied, “yah, it’s like killing a deer

Del OSTRANDER indicated ADKINS talked often about how he kills deer and cuts them up with a chainsaw. OSTRANDER also indicated ADKINS was obsessed with horror / slasher movies, and watches them daily.

With all due respect, not one of her three very specific questions is addressed in the affidavit. It mentions the chainsaw, and elaborates upon her statement that "The uncle mentioned the chainsaw issue, SAs youtube channel mentioned the deer and chainsaws before it disappeared." I don't think she had any questions about where the chainsaw statements might be found, but rather where the chainsaw itself might be found.

Regardless of who is responsible for Hailey's disappearance - she deserves to be found.

Hailey is precious.

Regardless of whatever rumors may or may not be circulating in the area of C-City - Hailey deserves to be found.

Sorrell Skye - so sorry for what you went thru and thankful it ended with your child in your arms. My oldest went missing twice when he was small.....the first time due to a deviant step-parent, and the second time he was separated from a hiking group on his 11th birthday. I understand the terror and overwhelming need to search for them. It is not something I would wish upon anyone - and I am amazed at the reactions and behaviors of some of these parents of missing children - but like you explained earlier.....there are good reasons to not search also.

In response to impatientredhead's query:
I wonder what chainsaw he used for this particular hobby, where it was located, and where it is currently.

With all due respect, not one of her three very specific questions is addressed in the affidavit. It mentions the chainsaw, and elaborates upon her statement that "The uncle mentioned the chainsaw issue, SAs youtube channel mentioned the deer and chainsaws before it disappeared." I don't think she had any questions about where the chainsaw statements might be found, but rather where the chainsaw itself might be found.

One would hope that LE has requested a search warrant of his mom's and grandma's as well as Billie's property for the chainsaw.
moo

Since LE is suppose to be keeping an eye on SA, and he is at grandma's house.....
wonder how he gets 'high' now???
I'll never forget those videos and the boat etc.
So wierd.........te bongs etc.

Sadly in this town, lines have been drawn and rumors ARE effecting the search.

Every time I read something to this effect, which I do whenever LE shifts the focus to another theory or Billie does something unpopular, I just want to call my boss, tell him I'm taking time off, and get my butt to Colorado City to search.

I live 1,676 miles away and would have to sleep in my van.

This is ridiculous.

Something seems to be happening. A lot of information/comments that has been posted over the past day or two is missing today. Facebook, and various sites that we are not allowed to link to...I'm thinking either LE or a lawyer has now come into the mix.

JMO

hmmm.....I can't imagine LE bothering with what peeps are posting on FB, unless it's the perp, lol.

I have seen and heard many distraught parents with missing children. I do not remember any, short of Casey or Misty, that seemed this hinky. She words things in a very shady way IMO.

Both of those statements are 'interesting' because of the backdrop of the past month. Her changing stories, weird timelines, covering for SA.

But they are also 'interesting' because of what she is telling us, flat out.

In the first statement she says basically, it was not until she saw other mothers and daughters together, out shopping and searching, that she realized hwo lucky she was to be a mother.
That says a lot to me. She is admitting that she took it for granted, and did not spend quality time with Hailey before. I am glad she is reflecting upon that and I think it is a true statement.

The second statement kind of speaks for itself. She thinks in the back of her mind, her subconscious, that Hailey is still in the house. That makes some wonder if something happened in the house that makes her think that. Kwim?

I can't speak for Billie, but I will say that I don't find these statements odd or strange. If you lost a child, wouldn't you be envious of other mothers who still have theirs? Would that be so odd? I think a lot of moms don't realize how lucky they are until something happens to take a child away from them. Of course she is going to be envious seeing other daughters and moms, thinking why did it have to be her child who went missing? Not many people really appreciate what they have until it's taken away from them.

As for the 2nd statement, I lost a beloved dog a couple years ago... for weeks and weeks, I looked for her and expected her to show up at the door. Every time I went to town shopping, I prayed that she would be home when I got back. I actually expected to see her, and my heart would fall to the pit of my stomach when she wasn't here. It took me months to realize she was never coming back. This was a DOG... not my child. So I can understand why she would believe and hope that Hailey will just show up.

Just trying to look at this with a different perspective.

hmmm.....I can't imagine LE bothering with what peeps are posting on FB, unless it's the perp, lol.
somehow someone is helping perps throug the net!
SA as access also.

They are watching us, I am sure!

I thought that press conference was about what Billie had to say-- only. LE did not stand beside her, and furthermore, the "friendly" statement was in response to a single question fired off. Seemed pretty unrehearsed to me. JMO

It was stipulated in advance that she was to give a statement only and that she would not answer questions. Therefore, I thought it was odd that she did answer that before ending the "press conference".

Consider the facts:

- she answered a question after saying she would not, when she could have ignored it entirely.

- she could easily have addressed it by saying she would not be answering questions, instead of answering it,

- the question she answered was one she had good reason to WANT to avoid answering, especially with the admission that she was now "friendly" with Shawn,

- she immediately cut the questions off and did not take even one more after answering one of the worst things she could have been asked in terms of the effect on public opinion of her.

I have no conclusions as to why she did this, or even if it is significant. But it seems to me (that is to say, it is MY OPINION) that, at the very least, she answered truthfully although she had to know it was not going to make her popular.

TxLady2, just jumping off your post..I have a question that I am genuinely curious about, for you (if you wouldn't mind answering, if not I totally understand :) and for anyone willing to answer..

Why so some feel that just because it was said (even if it came from the Chief of Police, just for the sake of discussion) that BD was not a POI or suspect...that it is just that cut and dried?.. so to speak..

I ask because it is perfectly legal and ethical for LE to come out and say that when in reality that's not what they really believe. That's just one tool they can and do use in which to make someone feel like the 'heat' is off of them..often that can lead to some major slip ups which can crack a case..

If one were to consider a hypothetical case (and not this one) would the same folks be so sure that LE is not doing that here? ..If so..and anyone thinks that LE wouldn't do such a thing..WHY does anyone believe that? I truly want to know. I can't think of any reason why that seems so impossible myself..TIA!

It's just my impression that she is not a suspect and never was, I could be way wrong. I am well aware of what some LE do and say in these cases, but I have a feeling that by naming Shawn a suspect early on, while leaving Billie out of the equation, they may believe that she did not actually have a hand in whatever happened, BUT she may know more than she is telling them and is trying to deflect suspicion from Shawn, for some reason.

To me, it would seem more logical to have named BOTH of them rather than just Shawn IF they thought Billie had anything to do with the actual crime. I see no justification in allowing her to think she is in the clear while they continue to investigate Shawn, but it's possible, I guess. Since they named him a suspect so early on, they must be pretty certain he did whatever he did without Billie's help. And I just can't see Billie as being capable of deliberately hurting her daughter, but that's just my impression, I don't know her.

I hope this helps... again, I may be guilty of being TOO logical in my thinking, and if I am wrong, I have no problem with that.

I cannot believe that Hailey has been missing this long. I do believe SA knows where she is. As far as Billie... :waitasec:

I have (for the most part) believed that Billie did not participate in Hailey's disappearance. IMHO, either she is covering for SA, or she is in denial because she does not want to believe he did it and/or doesn't want to lose him.

LE knows more than we do, and I keep going back to what Sparky said -- he did not mention CD or NS, but he did mention BD and SA:

bbm
http://www.ktxs.com/news/26472310/detail.html

During the press conference, KTXS asked, "Do you believe Shawn or Billie, one or both, know where Hailey is?"

Dean paused for a long time and then looked to Kampfer who responded, "I think that's a good question. They're working several leads to the nature of that."

Dean then responded, "Obviously, I don’t know what they are know or don't know. The people to best answer that question are Shawn or Billie."

(yes, that is a direct quote from the news site, the way they worded it - I don't know about the extra "are" in there...)

Every time I read something to this effect, which I do whenever LE shifts the focus to another theory or Billie does something unpopular, I just want to call my boss, tell him I'm taking time off, and get my butt to Colorado City to search.

I live 1,676 miles away and would have to sleep in my van.

This is ridiculous.

Me too.

Except I would have to sleep in your van too!:crazy:

We did ask Billie about the only named suspect in the case, Shawn Adkins, her former boyfriend.
She said they talk regularly on the phone, she didn't elaborate past that.
http://www.ktxs.com/news/26763608/detail.html

This part just makes me ill. It seems BD thinks it's her game and her rules, but BD you can't have it both ways. You can't be chumming it up with the suspect in your daughter's disappearance and think it looks real to me that you ever cared enough about your daughter. If you don't care what people think, for your kids sake, at least, I wish you'd start.

JMO

Okay, I found this interesting. This article is saying that even though a phone will ping when no calls are made, companies don't usually log that data into a database. They only log the data when a call is made or text sent. (ETA: So the "live" pings can be used to find a missing person, etc., but are not stored. Only calls/texts are stored. Make sense?)

So IF this is correct, then he was using the phone while pinging off the tower in CCity:

bbm

I was wondering if SA could have gotten a call during the time he was in CC and that prompted him to turn off his cell phone?

That's my feeling, too. She could easily have just walked away, or said she was not going to answer that question.

I realize we can't discuss stuff from downstairs, but in reading the closed threads, all I can say is.... WHY is all this coming out NOW?

BBM

Frustration? Hopelessness? Desperation? Fear that she really may not be coming back? I think I kinda understand CD. He can't be still. He has to be moving and doing in times of a crisis. I'm that way. When mr.teh's heart went boom at the hospital, I could not be still, I had to walk...the kids laughed afterwards they said they bet I did 20 miles or more while he was in surgery. The hospital actually gave me a cell phone so they could call directly from the operating room...I would not touch it and I sure wasn't going into that little room they wanted to put the family in. Had I gotten still...I would have gotten ugly. CD said he was sick and worn down, he has gotten still. And he's thinking about all of the things he shouldda, wouldda, couldda.......Does that make sense?

I agree-- but we've heard that Hailey doesn't have good coverage in the region-- not enough posters in store windows, etc. There is so much she could be doing. mo

Thanks Quiche, just jumping off of your post to tell what I am seeing in the area!

I live in the region, and I think that you would be hard pressed to find anyone who does not know that Hailey is missing. Unfortunately, everyone has also heard every ugly thing that people can dream up to gossip about.

I bring up the subject with students at school, the checkers at Walmart, and people I know, and I have not encountered one person...not even a kid from school, who does not know about Hailey. My students are her age, and they tell me that several of their teachers and parents have also reminded them to keep any eye for mention of her on facebook and myspace...just in case she is out there or someone starts to talk.

BD reaches far more people with the media than a person could hope to do with a flyer. Flyers are good and they are necessary, but the electronic media is absolutely indispensible in the search for a live child and the plea for witnesses or information. Not putting down anyone who does flyers or searches!

I would make the choice to use the media to the fullest to find my child. Others might choose to walk the fields to look for a body. Both are necessary, and each person should do what they do best.

I believe that LE has asked Billie to continue communicating with SA. Until we see LE confirm that, it will be just my opinion, and I doubt that LE will be offering any kind of information until there is an arrest.

The fact thay they took the trouble to publicly declare Billie "Not a POI", the fact that they did not also take that opportunity to say the same of Clint or anyone else tells me something as well. :twocents: LE in this case has been very lacking in the area of information released to the public...they don't want to tell us anything, but they made a special effort to try to stem the tide of suspicion about Billie by telling us that she is no longer a POI.

We have one suspect. We have one cleared of being among the POI's. We have "other POI's" who could be relatives, friends , enemies, associates or strangers. We have interviews by parents, friends and searchers. We have pleny to investigate without the other noise.

Moo on everything!:seeya:

Something seems to be happening. A lot of information/comments that has been posted over the past day or two is missing today. Facebook, and various sites that we are not allowed to link to...I'm thinking either LE or a lawyer has now come into the mix.

JMO

I noticed a lot of posts missing on other sites too.
It seemed like it was pretty good stuff too.

Yes as I said that is MO of what I have read. But I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that. I think It may be that we both view BD differently so we may interpret others posts differently. But I do have at least 2 different posters that have said exactly that but I am not allowed to link to that site. But we are being named. And I HAVE also followed Hailey case from the beginning I just don't post as much as others do.. JMO

sweets

One of the mods removed this post and some others which were a small conversation on this same topic. But I want to say something about it.

WS is not "another board". WS is well respected for what we do here and the mods work very hard to keep it that way. There are some who want to post whatever they want to post and they go to other places on the internet. That's fine with us, as long as they are minding our rules when they are here.

WS is not the internet police. We deal with what is going on with our website. Once in awhile something happens on another site and we might get involved, like taking information from our private forums elsewhere, but it's rare. Attacking WS openly on the internet can also result in a ban. The reason is that why in the world would you say you don't like to be a member of WS and then post on WS??? Does that make any sense? Plus, it upsets our members who are pleased as punch to be here.

Another thing, if anyone sees a post where BD is being bashed or called names or her past is being gossiped about or she's being accused of harming Hailey, ALERT THE POST! If you decide to be an unapproved moderator on this thread, YOU will earn the TO and the mods won't even get to SEE what you're upset about.

MODERATORS DO NOT READ EVERY POST.

I hope that clears up a few things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members