TX - Hailey Dunn, 13, murdered, Scurry County, Dec 2010 *Arrest in 2021, released in 2023* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
MITCHELL COUNTY, Texas (KTAB/KRBC) – Two years after Shawn Adkins was arrested for the murder of Colorado City teen Hailey Dunn, all charges were dismissed, and a court document reveals improper vetting of leads, unreliable forensic testing, cell phone data, and more all contributed to the lack of evidence in this case.

The motion claims five main issues have arisen in the aftermath of Adkins’ arrest that have prompted prosecutors to seek further investigation before taking him to court: a Brady Notice, alternate leads, geological forensic evidence, a forensic anthropology report, and cell phone data.

First, prosecutors have provided Adkins’ with a 16-page Brady Notice, which means they have officially informed him they have evidence that could be favorable to his defense.

Prosecutors also say that because so many different agencies were involved in investigating hundreds of leads in Hailey’s murder over the past decade, “many of the tips and leads were not properly vetted, investigated, or cleared.”

One of the most incriminating pieces of evidence against Adkins – soil samples collected from his work boots – may also not hold up in court, according to the motion. Near Infrared Spectroscopy (NIRS) was the testing method used to compare the samples to soil samples collected from the site where Hailey’s body was found in 2013, leading an expert to conclude the soil from the boots had a, “high degree of chemical similarity with soil samples collected from the remains site.”

However, an FBI Crime Lab also tested the soil samples from the boots and the remains site and determined they were not a match for each other. Prosecutors then learned the scientific community did not recognize NIRS as a legitimate method for soil analysis, and the FBI said the soil expert could not be relied on in trial.

Hailey’s forensic anthropology report also showed that she likely sustained blunt force trauma at the time of her death, which would have led to significant bleeding. However, despite multiple searches of Hailey’s home and a vehicle connected to the case when she disappeared in 2010, there is no evidence any immediate forensic testing was done. Prosecutors say this is also true for the site where her remains where found, and they believe the evidence needs further examination and testing to see if it has any additional value before proceeding to court.

Finally, cell phone records present a problem with the prosecution of Adkins. The records show Adkins placed a call around 2:56 p.m. December 27, 2010, the day Hailey disappeared, and this call showed him to be east of Big Spring but west of Colorado City. One minute later, Hailey Dunn’s cell phone received a call and connected to a tower in Colorado City.

Investigators say this suggests Hailey may have been alive prior to 2:57 p.m., and if that were the case, then Adkins would have been alone with Hailey for about two hours, based on testimony provided by other witnesses who saw him alone at the home around 5:00 p.m. that day.

The motion states that during this time, Adkins, “would have had to kill her, clean up any blood and other incriminating evidence in the home, and hidden her body.”

Prosecutors believe that, “while this is not impossible, it presents additional challenges given the preceding issues.”

Despite circumstantial evidence, prosectors are seeking to drop the case for now due to the lack of eye witnesses to Hailey’s murder, especially because there is not any forensic evidence directly linking Adkins to the crime at this time.

Finally, cell phone records present a problem with the prosecution of Adkins. The records show Adkins placed a call around 2:56 p.m. December 27, 2010, the day Hailey disappeared, and this call showed him to be east of Big Spring but west of Colorado City. One minute later, Hailey Dunn’s cell phone received a call and connected to a tower in Colorado City.

Investigators say this suggests Hailey may have been alive prior to 2:57 p.m., and if that were the case, then Adkins would have been alone with Hailey for about two hours, based on testimony provided by other witnesses who saw him alone at the home around 5:00 p.m. that day.

The motion states that during this time, Adkins, “would have had to kill her, clean up any blood and other incriminating evidence in the home, and hidden her body.”

Prosecutors believe that, “while this is not impossible, it presents additional challenges given the preceding issues.”

Despite circumstantial evidence, prosectors are seeking to drop the case for now due to the lack of eye witnesses to Hailey’s murder, especially because there is not any forensic evidence directly linking Adkins to the crime at this time.

I personally have never believed she was killed in the afternoon

JMO - I've long felt Hailey was killed between Sunday evening, December 26th & the early morning hours of Monday, December 27th. Cleanup and loading her body occured thereafter.

Adkins could have had an accomplice who had his cell phone at 2:56. Who called Hailey's phone? I assume the call was answered because they say she could have been alive. But Adkins or someone else in the home could have answered that call.

His erratic actions the morning of December 27th point to the fact he had already killed Hailey. Lying about quitting, ditching his coveralls, going to his Grandma's house.

Further, the "witness testimony" LE is relying on for the night of the 26th and the 27th at 5 PM is HIGHLY suspect, IMO. There was a lot of covering up going on, IYKWIM. I don't believe he acted alone in other words.

I'm furious, but hoping SOME LE Agency can build a solid case and refile in the future!!

My God, it took TWO YEARS to figure out the evidence wasn't sufficent to proceed to trial? If that SOB files an action against the State, I'm going to flip my bippy.

Last edited:
JMO - I've long felt Hailey was killed between late Sunday evening, December 26th & the early morning hours of Monday, December 27th. Cleanup and loading her body occured thereafter.

Adkins could have had an accomplice who had his cell phone at 2:56. Who called Hailey's phone? I assume the call was answered because they say she could have been alive. But Adkins or someone else in the home could have answered that call.

His erratic actions the morning of December 27th point to the fact he had already killed Hailey. Lying about quitting, ditching his coveralls, going to his Grandma's house.

Further, the "witness testimony" LE is relying on for the night of the 26th and the 27th at 5 PM is HIGHLY suspect, IMO. There was a lot of covering up going on, IYKWIM. I don't believe he acted alone in other words.

I'm furious, but hoping SOME LE Agency can build a solid case and refile in the future!!

My God, it took TWO YEARS to figure out the evidence wasn't sufficent to proceed to trial? If that SOB files an action against the State, I'm going to fl

dbm

Big Spring Herald

Released this morning, more investigation needed, still the primary suspect, the state can still re-file at a later date.
If they don't have the evidence by now, I am not sure how they will suddenly have enough later. Very very disheartening and depressing.

I am so so sorry Sweet.Hailey. We have let you down. So very many people let you down Sweet GIRL.

JMO - I've long felt Hailey was killed between Sunday evening, December 26th & the early morning hours of Monday, December 27th. Cleanup and loading her body occured thereafter.

My God, it took TWO YEARS to figure out the evidence wasn't sufficent to proceed to trial? If that SOB files an action against the State, I'm going to flip my bippy.

Yep, it's all gone Barry Morphew, sadly.

This is one of the first cases I followed on WS. What happened seems clear. When and how, less clear. But my fear now is that a succession of early bungles and omissions makes this another of those "We know who did it but can't yet prove it" cases that denies justice yet again for Hailey's killer.

What a cluster.

If they don't have the evidence by now, I am not sure how they will suddenly have enough later. Very very disheartening and depressing.

I am so so sorry Sweet.Hailey. We have let you down. So very many people let you down Sweet GIRL.
this :( I think this was our last chance at justice for Hailey. I remain convinced he is the guilty party.

I too remain convinced he is the guilty party, but I don't have all the facts. The interview above says he was on his way back to CCity at 3. That is why they think he killed her then. I am agreeing with Knox. I always thought she was killed earlier that day. He quit his job, returned to the house, something transpired, she died. He either went to Big Spring and hid her body somewhere....then moved her to the lake area, or he took her up to the lake (could have killed her anywhere between CCity and the lake), hid her body and kept going to Big Spring the back way. Cell phone data should tell them where his phone was pinging.

I hope this doesn’t end the way we have seen others. His time will come it’s just when, we have been witness to many murderers finally getting theirs 20-30 years after the crime. I’m really really disappointed
I have always felt that he was responsible and is protected for some reason but honestly to be honest today I have actually thought...just what it wasnt him?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
distrustHUMANS24
Back