TX - Hailey Dunn, 13, murdered, Scurry County, Dec 2010 *Arrest in 2021, released in 2023* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is a possibility, but if he wasn't the one who did it, I would say he at least helped with the cover up.
They just canceled his whole trial. If they could prove anything they would have tried.

Yep, it's all gone Barry Morphew, sadly.

This is one of the first cases I followed on WS. What happened seems clear. When and how, less clear. But my fear now is that a succession of early bungles and omissions makes this another of those "We know who did it but can't yet prove it" cases that denies justice yet again for Hailey's killer.

What a cluster.
My guess is that all the witness sightings and phone data and dog hits and the over the top crazy this case had in it including physical evdence that points to this not being Shawn ,got Shawn quickly uncharged with murder.
I did not follow the Morphew case so I dont get the reference . Also I think that case is not a child murder case .

Dear Websleuths Members and Guests,
My apologies for interrupting your discussion.
Because of the downturn in advertising, we are short on the server payment.
We need to raise $1,700 this upcoming week or the server will be shut off.
Please know I hate asking but I am left with no choice.
Below are the ways you can donate
PayPal Pay Websleuths.com, LLC using PayPal.Me
Venmo name Tricia-Griffith-14
OR
Cash App $tgrif14
THANK YOU
Zelle use triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com
Be sure and put "server" in the memo.
The ad revenue is growing but it is growing slowly. I am hoping I don't need to ask you again.
Please, only donate if you can afford to do so. DO NOT DONATE ONE PENNY UNLESS YOU ARE SURE YOU CAN.
Thank you, everyone. I appreciate your help.
If you have questions please do not post them on this thread. CLICK HERE and that will take you to the thread where you can ask questions.
Take Care,
Tricia Griffith

Owner/Websleuths.com

They just canceled his whole trial. If they could prove anything they would have tried.

My guess is that all the witness sightings and phone data and dog hits and the over the top crazy this case had in it including physical evdence that points to this not being Shawn ,got Shawn quickly uncharged with murder.
I did not follow the Morphew case so I dont get the reference . Also I think that case is not a child murder case .
They explained why they decided to let him go, a lot with evidence collection and testing, not that he is innocent.

Murder charge against man accused of killing 13-year-old girl dismissed amid litany of procedural and investigatory failures

apart from anything else is there proof that Hailey answered the telephone herself? if not the telephone is kind of redundant

apart from anything else is there proof that Hailey answered the telephone herself? if not the telephone is kind of redundant
I had posted earlier that I would think that they would simply see who called and question the witness on who they had spoken to. We know a text was sent at 2:15 to Mary Beth, and now we see the phone was supposedly answered closer to 3, and the location of the phone was at her home address.

Billie and Shawn had left the home that morning, and according to what has been released neither one returned to the home until after the text message and the phone call.

I struggle with this being Hailey, because at the very beginning this would have helped the timeline. Police would have said a witness spoke to her on the phone that Monday, before Shawn made it home. This would have helped the case showing she was there and alive at 3:00, and narrowed down the timeline even more.

If they can't prove that she didn’t answer the phone, and they can't disprove his story that she left at 3, then they can't get him for murder.

They originally thought she was murdered in the morning after he returned to the residence, but they couldn't prove that. Now we see they possibly tried the afternoon, but it looks like that isn't solid either.

First step: who called and who did they talk to.....

I have to search the old threads, but I remember the neighbor who said he saw Hailey in the backyard talking on her phone that afternoon - was Dennis Pharris. His staterment likely contributes to LE's list of "issues".

Never believed he saw what he said he saw, JMO.

So ,allegedly there was a witness that did see her on the phone. links are dead and broken but at one time the info was there.
I dont know what else to say.
IIRC, there was a male neighbour, who supposedly saw her/heard her, over the back fence, on the phone ----but there was some question about his credibility, due to drug usage, etc.

IIRC, there was a male neighbour, who supposedly saw her/heard her, over the back fence, on the phone ----but there was some question about his credibility, due to drug usage, etc.
He also died since then didnt he?
Anyway I feel like the investigators made everything that didnt point to BD and SA seem uncredible. There was so much drama and it pretty much mostly seemed like a witch hunt and no one really considered that someone else could have done this ,least of all the police .
Maybe they have good reason , but the way they handled this case was really gross.

This is a case that makes you say
....maybe they missed something...a minor detail that was overlooked....and you simply say....LOOK AGAIN...KEEP LOOKING. They had to slip up somewhere.
In the State's Motion to Dismiss, they say the case needs further investigation. The motion states- some tips & leads were not vetted/investigated or cleared. Further, some of the evidence collected was never forensically tested.

Who is the State sending the case back to for further investigation? The FBI, Texas Rangers?

Thanks for keeping hope alive @AutumnDawn - maybe fresh investigative eyes will find that slip up.

Anyway I feel like the investigators made everything that didnt point to BD and SA seem uncredible. There was so much drama and it pretty much mostly seemed like a witch hunt and no one really considered that someone else could have done this ,least of all the police .
Maybe they have good reason , but the way they handled this case was really gross.
I'm not saying the case was handled well, but if anything in this case is gross - it's the main players directly connected to Hailey. I can't say what I would like too about their actions before-during-and after- her disappearance. But a brief review of the thread here at WS or @AmandaReckonwith detailed site Photobucket | Make your memories fun! gives you an idea what LE was dealing with.

I don't feel like it was a witch hunt , at all. I think it was obvious that he disappeared her---but they didnt have enough solid evidence.

Look back to the start of the case----SA was a slasher oil fanatic, a jugalo clown posse cretin, who had a few handmade slasher serial killer leather masks made, so he could wear them while he watched violent films, taking the point of view of the killer.

He had child *advertiser censored* on his moms computer, but they couldn't arrest him cuz it wasn't his computer. He and Billie were using drugs, harder than just pot.

He was creepy as could be, and was the last person known to be with our missing 13 yr old girl. How is that a witch hunt?

I don't feel like it was a witch hunt , at all. I think it was obvious that he disappeared her---but they didnt have enough solid evidence.

Look back to the start of the case----SA was a slasher oil fanatic,
*slasher film fanatic

I know, I know, many people like slasher films---but not everyone wears handmade serial killer masks while watching them
a jugalo clown posse cretin, who had a few handmade slasher serial killer leather masks made, so he could wear them while he watched violent films, taking the point of view of the killer.

He had child *advertiser censored* on his moms computer, but they couldn't arrest him cuz it wasn't his computer. He and Billie were using drugs, harder than just pot.

He was creepy as could be, and was the last person known to be with our missing 13 yr old girl. How is that a witch hunt?
Also, we cannot ignore the weird facts surrounding his job---a well paying job he needed. The very day his 13 yr old 'roommate' goes missing, he quits his job in an impulsive fashion, which allows hijm a free day to finish up whatever he had in mind.

Look back to the start of the case----SA was a slasher oil fanatic, a jugalo clown posse cretin, who had a few handmade slasher serial killer leather masks made, so he could wear them while he watched violent films, taking the point of view of the killer.

If I were to look back -which facts would you want me to pay close attention to ?
We should all look back . Never a bad idea.
Reveiwing the case with your considerations is better than doing nothing .

Agree. The case against SA was not a "witch hunt" --lord, how I loathe that term these days -- and the failures in the case as it developed were IMO partly a function of the investigation itself and partly a function of the complex relationships between the main parties, which seems to have made sourcing reliable facts and testimony difficult.

This often seemed like a case that some principles didn't particularly want solved, and the drama surrounding BD, CD, SA etc. obscured the murder victim -- pushed out of sight in death just as she seems to have been in life.

Like other cases in the archives -- Haleigh Cummings, Suzanne Morphew, etc. -- we might be watching a murderer get away with it in real time. But times can change.

I'm not saying the case was handled well, but if anything in this case is gross - it's the main players directly connected to Hailey. I can't say what I would like too about their actions before-during-and after- her disappearance. But a brief review of the thread here at WS or @AmandaReckonwith detailed site Photobucket | Make your memories fun! gives you an idea what LE was dealing with.
Exactly! So much obfuscation and IIRC some redecorating, right after Hailey’s disappearance.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
distrustHUMANS24
Back