Identified! TX - Huntsville, 'Walker County Jane Doe', WhtFem 14-16, 91UFTX, Nov'80 #4 Sherry Ann Jarvis

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe she was with an older bad boy. Maybe he went to the Ellis County jail and not the Ellis prison and she was confused. Or didn't realize the difference between the prison or jail. She was after all only 14. Ellis County jail is in Waxahachie just like 2 1/2 south of Huntsville.
Maybe not realizing she hitched a ride all the way to Huntsville. To me that would make much more sense then her knowing anyone at the prison.

May Sherri rest in peace. This has been a LONG time coming and I'm glad her family gets the closure they deserve even though her end was a tragic and never should have happened. Can we also give, ONCE AGAIN, props to @othram. Seriously, you guys are changing the identification game time and time again. Someone should have you on retainer for your consistency alone.
And OUR Carl K ❤ I'm always in awe of his skills.

Here's a question, and I apologize if it's been raised already: how long would it have taken for someone to be sentenced to time at Ellis?

That was also the one thing that always bothered me about her visiting someone in prison. At first I thought maybe she was visiting a pen pal, but from what we've learned now, that doesn't seem likely. But if she knew him personally, that means he must have been arrested recently. It would be interesting to know if Ellis was also harboring people awaiting trial at that time.

I also still wonder about the detail I once read (but can no longer find) that the police had an inmate they strongly suspected of being her mystery contact.

It would be interesting to know if Ellis was also harboring people awaiting trial at that time.

I also still wonder about the detail I once read (but can no longer find) that the police had an inmate they strongly suspected of being her mystery contact.
Very unlikely, that someone on trial would be housed at Ellis. Trials are held in 254 county district courts. (254 is the number of counties, each county will usually have more than one criminal court)

Suspects are housed closest to the local court room, which is the local county jail.

Suspects are housed closest to the local court room, which is the local county jail.
Well, that makes it even more mysterious (as if the case needed more mysteries). So either she was mistaken about the prison (the Huntsville area seems to be brimming with correctional facilities), or she wasn't looking for a friend, but for someone someone else told her to contact.

Well, that makes it even more mysterious (as if the case needed more mysteries). So either she was mistaken about the prison (the Huntsville area seems to be brimming with correctional facilities), or she wasn't looking for a friend, but for someone someone else told her to contact.

That's been my hunch...
But who knows....

To me it's sorta Occam's razor.

I think only about 10% of the inmates at Ellis were on death row, so she wasn't necessarily looking for a death row inmate.

From the latest article:

"She was my bestie,” LeTourneau said. “We called her Totti."

Notice that she says she looked everywhere for Totti for 41 years. But the everywhere she rattled off doesn't include any site like this one. People search by name. It either never occurs to them that their friend is now named Doe, or they don't want to believe it.

That's been my hunch...
But who knows....
That is one possibility. What's strange is how incredibly unprepared she was. Apparently she didn't have a ride and had to hitchhike. She didn't have a place to stay in Huntsville. She didn't have any luggage. She didn't have a map that could lead her to the prison. She didn't have a phone number. And she didn't have a clue if they would even let her in. There wasn't much planning here.

I have to say that I really don't think she was planning to attend a rodeo in Huntsville. First, the idea that she was just using the prison as a landmark and not a destination was already unlikely before, and everything we've learned about Sherri lately has made that less likely, not more likely as some have suggested.

Here's why: The information content of an observation is determined by how unusual it is. If an observation is common, its information content is very low, and the opposite is true if it is uncommon. Now, a 13-year-old girl who loves horses must be about the most common thing ever. My 11-year-old daughter, for example, just loves horses. So do her friends. All of them. So did most of the girls in my class when I was 13. So when I learned that Sherri loved horses, it didn't mean much to me. Because that's what I already sort of assumed before.

But there is one very unusual fact that we have all recently learned about her: that she has been associating with older males who were involved in criminal activity. Neither my daughter, nor any of her friends, nor any other 13-year-old girl I know does that. And no, this is not about blaming, but about showing what information is important and what is not. When I heard that, I changed my certainty that she really was trying to visit an inmate at Ellis Prison from "quite likely" to "extremely likely" because it's such an unusual thing to learn. Needless to say, all other possibilities became accordingly less likely.
Maybe I need to catch up a little...Where did we get to the point where she was associating with older males? Or those involved in crime?
Personally, I think the wrong person(s) overheard Sherri asking the waitress for directions. I've forgotten what time she was at the rest stop, but it was pretty late, right? So she obviously would have attracted attention being a young, pretty girl alone. She was probably tired too, and her guard may have been down. So if someone said, "Oh hey, heard you asking about Ellis, we're going that way." There you go.
Was there a time stated anywhere that the two witnesses said they seen her?

Maslow's Heirachy of Needs tells me that she was not thinking of horses while she was on the run. The family is remembering the simpler times in her life when she did enjoy horses.

We may never know why she was in Huntsville. She could have simply wanted a quick weekend gig at a rodeo, she may have planned to visit someone, I theorized she was sent by roommates in Rockport (with criminal records of their own) to run messages the way Audrey Hepburn's character did in Breakfast at Tiffany's (Audrey visits "Sally Tomato" in prison to give him a "weekly weather report". )

Either way, Sherri was out of control. Although she did not come home, I think she also hated her time on the run. Housing situations were temporary. Tempers flare, relationships go sour and she moves on. Her experience with an older crowd hardened her enough to allow her to tolerate it. I bet almost everyone she met along the way to Huntsville were older than her. Many of her acquaintances on the way to Huntsville probably had criminal records. It's just a rough life, but she kept running...The odds are that the people she associated with did not kill her. However, her high risk life style, placed her in a situation where she unfortunately, met a brutal end to her life.

I also ran with a rough crowd myself......
That's really sad. I agree, tho.

Where did we get to the point where she was associating with older males? Or those involved in crime?
On the WWWCJD facebook page, Carl Koppelman said that her brother told him that. Here is the quote "I was told about a month ago she was a habitual runaway, who associated with a group of older males involved in criminal activity."

I am looking for a newspaper article from a few years ago and can't find it. It was about the former lead investigator in her death who is now retired but still working on her case. The article contained two unique pieces of information. First, it contained the only mention of another witness who saw a teenage girl matching her description talking to young men in a station wagon. While this was fairly vague, it was the only indication that she might have left the truck stop alive. I personally believe she was killed by a truck driver, so I don't know what to make of this witness, but it is an interesting observation. The other piece of information was about the inmates at the prison. In the article, he stated that there was basically only one person that they suspected of being their contact, but he stonewalled them. I find that fascinating, because it suggests that they had some idea what she was looking for in the prison.

Has someone seen the article and knows where to find it?
I vaguely remember the station wagon...I don't know where I read it.

On the WWWCJD facebook page, Carl Koppelman said that her brother told him that. Here is the quote "I was told about a month ago she was a habitual runaway, who associated with a group of older males involved in criminal activity."
Thank you

What if she wasn't meeting a prisoner at the prison but someone who was visiting the prison?

Maybe she knew of a person who always visited his/her "brother" (prisoner) on the last Friday/Saturday of the month. Or visited there once a week on the same day.

Perhaps Sherry had no other contact details for that person and this was her only way of connecting with them? (No mobile phones etc back then. If a person moved you could easily lose contact). And for whatever reason was desperate to reach them.

Even if this case is solved, we may never know why she was in Huntsville...

She was probably killed by a random stranger who saw her as easy prey: young, alone and needing a ride. This would be mutually exclusive of her reason for being in Huntsville.

Maybe people she was staying with may come forward and might remember why she went to Huntsville, but I would not be surprised if that info would be part of an investigation and it may not be released to the public, unless someone speaks to the media first.

If she left the truck stop at 6.30 pm or so...what was she doing until 3 AM or so?? That is what I can't figure out. But someone made a good point when they said her wrists didn't have marks on them so she probably wasn't tied up. I would be surprised if she knew the perp well...but yes I have to admit that could be a possibility

The obit mentions that he died "tragically", though it did not elaborate that his death was in a house fire.
Thanks for the share.
Was wondering about that...,thought, due to a car or hunting accident.
Horrible for the family.:(

If she left the truck stop at 6.30 pm or so...what was she doing until 3 AM or so?? That is what I can't figure out. But someone made a good point when they said her wrists didn't have marks on them so she probably wasn't tied up. I would be surprised if she knew the perp well...but yes I have to admit that could be a possibility

She left the gas station where she arrived in Huntsville around 6:30 pm. If she walked all the way to the truck station, it could have been between 8:30 and 9 p.m. when she left from there. As for the missing time, a common theory is that at some point she stoped trying to reach the prison for the day and instead asked one of the truck drivers if she could spend the night in his cabin. Unbeknownst to her, this would then have been her killer, who may have begun the attack after she was fast asleep.

As for the missing marks on her wrists, it makes no sense that this would indicate a prior acquaintance with her attacker. The attack itself was so brutal and vicious that she must have definitely tried to break free. How the killer then managed to restrain her during the assault is not clear to me, only that he must have used some means.

Even if this case is solved, we may never know why she was in Huntsville...

I also think that the most likely scenario is that she accidentally encountered a serial killer, possibly at the truck stop. The way her body was later found strongly suggests that. In this case, you are correct that we will get no closer to finding the killer, no matter what information we uncover.

However, the police clearly seem to think otherwise, as evidenced by some of the statements made by the lead investigator. I don't know what they base their assessment on, but the police usually have much more information than they let on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee