Identified! TX - Huntsville, 'Walker County Jane Doe', WhtFem 14-16, 91UFTX, Nov'80 Sherry Ann Jarvis

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if any of the witnesses could look at the picture of Cathy and confirm if that's our doe.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I wonder if any of the witnesses could look at the picture of Cathy and confirm if that's our doe.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

All of the witnesses are deceased.

It wasnt taken by her family, it was taken by the family of children who had befriended her in a motel

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I kind of think Gina Hall looks like her, although there isn't much information on her. https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/1174/4/
I also think Deborah Mccall has some similarities as far as weight/height/necklace/hair http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/mccall_deborah.html https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/case_report_html/8253

Quite often, with all the blogs and bits about Ruthie, I get confused about who is ruled out because there are some that are automatic because of different types of DNA & even whether it belongs to a mother or fathers side of the family. I stumbled across a blog where a Lieutenant ruled some girls out in 2010. Not sure if I can post the link here so i have left it out but Gina was on that but not typed into namus. :-)

There is a pretty decent stretch between Beeville and Sugarland, @ 170 miles..with plenty of tiny towns stretching across 59, I'm not sure how they would pinpoint a motel that existed 35years ago.

Quite often, with all the blogs and bits about Ruthie, I get confused about who is ruled out because there are some that are automatic because of different types of DNA & even whether it belongs to a mother or fathers side of the family. I stumbled across a blog where a Lieutenant ruled some girls out in 2010. Not sure if I can post the link here so i have left it out but Gina was on that but not typed into namus. :-)

IDK which blog you're referring to, but: http://1980walkercountyjanedoe.weebly.com/blog/rule-outs (this is the blog I run): I came across a lieutenant rule out list pretty far back in the thread, and Gina was on it. I think she should be added into NamUs but I am guessing it is considered automatic due to Gina's dentals being in CODIS--I am kinda inclined to think that the reason she's on the lieutenant r/o list was that she may have not been in NamUs in 2010...if that makes sense, LOL. :)

That is definitely a clear picture if it was taken in the 80s. So this tells me that the family had money for the best camera in the 80s.

So could this possibly be money related?

He says the pic was taken with a regular Kodak camera.

There is a pretty decent stretch between Beeville and Sugarland, @ 170 miles..with plenty of tiny towns stretching across 59, I'm not sure how they would pinpoint a motel that existed 35years ago.

They spent several hours going from town to town in Google Maps trying to pinpoint the motel. They said that the Esquire Inn in Beeville looked alot like the motel, but they are still not 100% sure the Motel was in Beeville. They stayed in dozens of motels during those years. They initially thought it was Richmond, but their mother said that she used a Poloroid camera during the time when they were in Richmond. They also said it might have been in Madisonville (north of Huntsville). The Western Lodge in Madisonville also has a similar layout to the drawing that he showed me. They have an older brother who was about 17 at the time, and they have left him a message. Perhaps he can clarify, but he hasn't responded yet.

I think it would make my Christmas if Ruthie got her name back :) you are all amazing. You work so hard for all the UIDs here. Thank you all. It gives me hope for humankind!

I have not read this whole thread so if this has been brought up before then - sorry. Some teenage girls back in that era found it exciting to write to prison inmates they didn't know (and sometimes eventually felt like they were in love with these guys they'd never met). They usually got the addresses from personal ads in the back of biker magazines and sources of that kind. I would imagine this was probably the guy she was going to visit in the prison if that was indeed where she was going. The inmate may have lied about knowing her or may not have honestly known what she looked like and was probably corresponding with more than one female anyway. I think this is probably what she was doing there but it was likely unrelated to her murder. My suspicion there was that she probably just hitched a ride with the wrong person.

girls back in that era found it exciting to write to prison inmates they didn't know (and sometimes eventually felt like they were in love with these guys they'd never met). They usually got the addresses from personal ads in the back of biker magazines and sources of that kind.

Respectfully snipped and BBM. As someone who wasn't alive then, I was wondering about how girls would get addresses for writing inmates--this seems like a plausible theory of how she got the address.

Accidentally deleted the some teenage part of the first sentence I quoted. I tried editing it but my computer's being weird right now.
But you all get the idea.

Heck, you used to be able to get an inmate or overseas pen pal through Sunday school at many churches. The idea was that being in contact with good Christians could help rehabilitate troubled men.

Don't laugh. It seemed plausible at the time.

Heck, you used to be able to get an inmate or overseas pen pal through Sunday school at many churches. The idea was that being in contact with good Christians could help rehabilitate troubled men.

Wow...it seems pretty likely that's where she got the contact information for the inmate.

In that case, I'd imagine that a picture of her was not sent to the inmate, because if it was being set up by a church, there would be no reason to lie about having contact with a young girl.

Though, since she was after visiting hours, it seems like she was trying to visit a guard--maybe she was just unaware of the visiting hours for inmates, though.

I could imagine her finding it was closed, being frustrated, and trying to hitch a ride back, maybe--IDK.

Perhaps that's how "Cathy" got ahold of the contact info as well. Visit the guy in Sugarland, his 25th birthday rolls around, and she knows that he is being transferred to Ellis. But she doesn't know Huntsville that well, so she gets lost and needs directions.

I am not laughing! I recall in elementary student my public school and the Catholic school up the street had the students doing a project together where we wrote to jail inmates. I swear like you said the idea was some sort of community service or something. Now the Idea of having children in contact with inmates seems deranged to me.

Here's a scenario: she's been corresponding with the guy.

He says I'm getting released, meet me when I get out.

She manages to get there despite not having a car.

He does the deed.

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads