TX - James, 48 & Michelle Butler, 46, driving RV to Fort Lauderdale from Corpus Christi, 14 Oct 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Del Rio was mentioned in the news articles however you know how the media is with changing things up
Well since it is mentioned in MSM, we can discuss it then. Thanks for pointing that out.

2 bodies found in Texas amid search for missing Rumney couple

"Investigators said surveillance footage captured the silver Chevy Silverado and Cedar Creek camper the pair had been driving crossing an unspecified border checkpoint into Mexico on Oct. 21."

The question now arises is where were the truck and RV until Oct 21? If James and Michelle were last seen Oct 14 and reported missing around same date, the crossing into Mexico didn't happen until a week later.

Female's body found Sunday. Also, male's body was found Monday, under the female's body. Likely the reason they were not found at the same time.

Sheriff's Office: 2 Bodies Discovered Buried At Texas Beach

"Investigators are trying to identify two bodies found buried at a South Texas beach amid the search for a missing New Hampshire couple.

The Kleberg County Sheriff’s Office says a deputy located a woman’s remains Sunday in a shallow grave on Padre Island, near Corpus Christi. Chief Deputy Jaime Garza says a man’s body was discovered Monday beneath the first body.

Authorities suspect foul play. The remains have been transported to a medical examiner."

Well since it is mentioned in MSM, we can discuss it then. Thanks for pointing that out.

"Investigators said surveillance footage captured the silver Chevy Silverado and Cedar Creek camper the pair had been driving crossing an unspecified border checkpoint into Mexico on Oct. 21."

The question now arises is where were the truck and RV until Oct 21? If James and Michelle were last seen Oct 14 and reported missing around same date, the crossing into Mexico didn't happen until a week later.

That's a good point. You would think the person would want to minimize time and visibility driving the truck and get to Mexico as quick as possible.

Timing is a bit strange.

Last contact with family was about noon on Oct 14. No activity on Michelle's bank card after Oct 16.

The news report didn't mention James's bank activity. And, how much validity do we give to the eyewitness Walmart sighting of James?

Just a few things that seem odd at the moment.

Timing is a bit strange.

Last contact with family was about noon on Oct 14. No activity on Michelle's bank card after Oct 16.

The news report didn't mention James's bank activity. And, how much validity do we give to the eyewitness Walmart sighting of James?

Just a few things that seem odd at the moment.
JMO but I think the eyewitness probably didn't encounter James. I think she most likely met a homeless man named Dennis who looked like James. Until the second body was discovered, her post gave me hope.
It would be an unbelievable coincidence if these remains aren't James and Michelle.

JMO but I think the eyewitness probably didn't encounter James. I think she most likely met a homeless man named Dennis who looked like James. Until the second body was discovered, her post gave me hope.
It would be an unbelievable coincidence if these remains aren't James and Michelle.
Agreed. Different name, and the man she met seemed to be in dire straits while James did not seem to be, at least not to that extent. Not that we really know. But I don’t think it was him.

Two bodies are found in hunt for missing New Hampshire couple who were last seen on Texas beach | Daily Mail Online

Summary:
  • James, 48, and Michelle Butler, 46, of Rumney, were reported missing by their concerned family after failing to contact them since around noon on October 14
  • The couple had been travelling in their RV and were headed to Fort Lauderdale
  • The two corpses were found close to where the couple were last officially seen in Padre Balli Park buried on top of one another, authorities said on Monday
  • Their RV was spotted crossing an unspecified border checkpoint into Mexico on October 21 - but family say the clip shows James was not driving the vehicle
  • A day later an eyewitness claims to have seen James in a Walmart around 38 miles from where they were last seen 'suffering some kind of memory lapse'
  • The two bodies have not yet been formally identified 'foul play is suspected'

Some points from this article:

*According to authorities a cellphone believed to belong to the couple had pinged in the area.

*Both are severely decomposed and have been taken to the Medical Examiner, but it could take several days before we know' their identities.'

*In a further twist the couple's RV was spotted crossing an unspecified border checkpoint into Mexico on October 21 - but family say the clip shows James was not driving the vehicle.

TIMELINE OF THEIR DISAPPEARANCE
June 2018: Butlers leave their Rumney, New Hampshire home in their RV

October 14, 2019: Last heard from by relatives while in Padre Balli Park

October 21: RV crosses an unspecified border checkpoint into Mexico but 'James is not driving'

October 22: Eyewitness 'sees James Butler' in a Walmart in Calallen on US 77

October 27: Two bodies found in Padre Island

November 20: Couple's destination intended destination was Fort Lauderdale in Florida

I was working on a timeline when I saw you posted, Zecats... Thank you!

According to this article (previously posted), James & Michelle Butler Missing: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com, the Butlers' last social media contact was October 15 and their phones were turned off on the 16th.

The missing persons report was filed October 23 (it's in a photo caption here). Family fears bodies found buried in Texas dune are missing NH couple

It's hard to believe Kleberg County Sheriff's Office has nothing about the Butlers on either their website or their FB page.

I would like to give the family a big hug, and tell them it seems they have done everything they could. They did a good job setting up a Missing Page on FB as soon as they could to get the word out.

[ETA: I was able to find verification of missing persons' report date.]

Last edited:
Sorry to double-post, but I'm having a horrible feeling somebody used their rv right there on the beach for a while before taking off to Mexico. That really ticks me off more than anything for some reason.

What if the guy that the lady saw at Walmart is the killer?? Killer would have known names and where they were from.

What if the guy that the lady saw at Walmart is the killer?? Killer would have known names and where they were from.

Thats an interesting idea to ponder, although, didn't the witness say the man said his name was Dennis? She was certain it was the same man by his face and since she prayed with him, you would think she got a good look at his face. But, I am wondering if since he said he was from NH, thats what triggered her to feel he was the same man. If that's the case, then it brings us back to wondering if the perp was at the Wal-mart. What are the odds of a homeless man at that particular Wal-Mart being from the same state as our missing couple?

Editing to add that she reports seeing this man on Oct. 22, but the footage of the Rv and truck crossing the border is Oct. 21. I'm having trouble making sense of this other than the whole NH thing creating confusion for a well-meaning citizen.

Last edited:
Sorry to double-post, but I'm having a horrible feeling somebody used their rv right there on the beach for a while before taking off to Mexico. That really ticks me off more than anything for some reason.
You know I was thinking the same thing. Conflicting reports of RV last seen on beach 10/19 and then crossing border 10/21. Only problem I see with this is family reported them missing and I suspect LE would have checked the beach only to find no trace of truck or RV.

What a nightmare for this poor couple. No one should have to endure this kind of horror. Their family and their cats included.

I hope that someone will be made to pay for whatever happened. It's sickens me to the core.

You know I was thinking the same thing. Conflicting reports of RV last seen on beach 10/19 and then crossing border 10/21. Only problem I see with this is family reported them missing and I suspect LE would have checked the beach only to find no trace of truck or RV.

What a nightmare for this poor couple. No one should have to endure this kind of horror. Their family and their cats included.

I hope that someone will be made to pay for whatever happened. It's sickens me to the core.
They were not reported missing until October 23rd. :-(

I also thought maybe whoever did this lived in the RV before driving it south to Mexico. But again, that is a risk given sooner or later someone would come checking. Was there an early report that a witness saw the trailer but no truck early on? I may be wrong here and of course this is all just speculation. I guess a more detailed time line would be helpful but i didn’t see one on MSM.

Family members remain hopeful missing couple still alive

BBM

For now, all investigators can do is wait for the medical examiner to identify the remains.

"We don't want to come out and say for sure, definitively that this is connected to the missing persons case because it's just too preliminarily early stage to tell," Kleberg County Sheriff Richard Kirkpatrick said.

Authorities say because the remains were so badly decomposed., it may take several days to determine who they are.

The family of the missing couple say they are trying to remain optimistic.

When asked if she was hopeful of a good outcome, Deborah Van Loon, the sister of James Butler, says she remains hopeful she’ll hear from her missing family members.

The Butlers are among five people who have been reported missing in the Coastal Bend over the last two months.

They were not reported missing until October 23rd. :-(
You are correct. First I heard that. I've been going on last seen, last contact 10-14 & 10/16

Family fears bodies found buried in Texas dune are missing NH couple

James and Michelle Butler of Rumney were first reported missing on Oct. 23. Their truck and travel trailer were seen on surveillance footage crossing an unspecified border checkpoint into Mexico on Oct. 21, authorities said.

Investigators in Texas have asked a Rumney family to send dental records to help identify two bodies found in a shallow grave on a beach in Corpus Christi, the family confirmed Tuesday night.

The bodies, believed to be a male and a female, were recovered Sunday and Monday, according to Kleberg County Sheriff’s Office.

James and Michelle Butler of Rumney were last seen in Corpus Christi, Texas, on Oct. 16, according to the sheriff’s office. The couple was known to stay in touch with family on a daily basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member