TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, en route from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who has rolled my car down an embankment I wouldn't assume he walked back in the direction he came from. I know that I was extremely confused after I got out of the car. And he spun out, and a road has 2 directions... the one you came from and the one where you were headed. After spinning out, and it was supposed to have been quite dark out without any lights, I don't know that he could have easily figured out which way was which, IMHO.
I meant I assumed that's what his father meant by saying he went "back" towards the town, not that he actually went that way.

I think he was basing his statement on what he learned from the investigation and that search dogs tracked his scent about 1/4 mile down the road, then lost it. Imo

But since you can’t tell the dog what you want, and the dog can’t tell you what he is experiencing, and no human can sniff something and tell who last wore it, how can you know that you’re sending the dog the right message?

But LE requests dogs over and over again and for good reason. IMO

You can tell the dog what you want.

Dogs smell everything. Training (training btw, never ends) teaches the dog to isolate a certain odor, ignore the rest and alert the human when the target odor is present. Training will require your time, blood, sweat and tears. Sometimes it requires washing an otherwise really good dog.

A well trained dog can alert to explosives (there's a reason dogs are at airports and sweep big crowded events, MWD are a BIG DEAL), narcotics, electronic devices, human remains, specific Joe Public, a fleeing bad guy, bed bugs, firearms. These are some examples.

Good solid training teaches the dog. The relationship between the handler and dog makes it a partnership or a fail.

This post might get deleted - it might be off topic. Apologies.

IMO

I am thinking maybe he accidentally took the wrong turn (or went straight at the intersection), then his traffic app rerouted him to just continue along that road. If you look at a map, he was still going to end up in the same area if he followed Salt Lake Rd all the way down to the end. If I'm looking at it correctly...
Actually he was going north on Salt Flat Rd.—the opposite direction of 1H10. He would have never gotten to IH10 that way.
But I do think it’s possible his app could have told him to keep going and was trying to reroute him without a u-turn. Because there’s really no other reason for him to be traveling that far on Salt Flat Rd.

But since you can’t tell the dog what you want, and the dog can’t tell you what he is experiencing, and no human can sniff something and tell who last wore it, how can you know that you’re sending the dog the right message?
Well, they can give the dog what they want by providing them with an article of clothing or something that has the scent of the missing person. Imo

He might've had an iPhone: if you look at his most recent tweets, they show as being sent via "Twitter through iPhone."

https://mobile.twitter.com/jasonlandry_?lang=en

He also could've had more than one phone and more than one laptop/computer.

Thank you for adding JL's Twitter link.

I'm curious about why he ended up at TSU?... JL proudly tweeted his acceptance letter to SFASU on March 1, 2018 but two years later we find him at TSU. Anybody know when he started at
TSU and if he's still an undergraduate? (Did he ever attend SFASU?)

Thanks.

Texas State vs. SFASU SFA Stephen F Stephen F. Austin 2020

Well, they can give the dog what they want by providing them with an article of clothing or something that has the scent of the missing person. Imo

That was part of my point, IMO. Humans in this situation can’t KNOW for sure that the item has the scent of the missing person. What are the humans going to do, sniff the t-shirt? It won’t tell them anything.

So, let’s say he accidentally packed something that belonged to his roommate—what then? Pretty unlikely? Sure, but we already KNOW that something pretty unlikely happened—most single-car accidents don’t turn into a situation like this.

I'm curious about why he ended up at TSU?... JL proudly tweeted his acceptance letter to SFASU on March 1, 2018 but two years later we find him at TSU. Anybody know when he started at

Thanks.

I think his FB said TX State “2020 to present” so it does sound like this was his first year there. There was another college besides SFA also mentioned—Sam Houston I think. So I guess he went to all three.

Thanks.

Not sure when he started at Texas State, but he is a sophomore there:

"The Department of Public Safety is actively searching for 21-year-old Texas State sophomore and sound recording technology major Jason Landry after his vehicle was found in Luling, Texas."

Search for missing Texas State student suspended

Okay, I shouldn’t be rude to the lovely creatures. If they could talk, they’d say things like, “There’s two smells on this shirt—which one would you like me to follow?” Or: “He went down that hill—why do you keep pulling me away from it?”

But, MOO, they certainly wouldn’t solve 100% of the cases, because they’d also be saying things like: “I’m so sorry—it’s so hot I can’t smell anything at all, now.)
Or “The bbq restaurant down the street smells way better than this sock you want me to smell.” Haha. Yes 100% is an exaggeration, but I do generally believe in dogs’ noses. I don’t know enough about it, but I do know there are just so many variables so that dogs are never going to be perfect.

So sorry if this has been discussed. Have you guys noticed this picture of the car? The deep straight gouges on the drivers side door do not look like they came from a tree to me. Something is wrong with this story.

View attachment 277356
https://twitter.com/koskionfox7/status/1340045779164127232?s=21

It's possible that some of this damage could be from before this last wreck. That's an old car (2003), and it probably already had scrapes and dents.

What about the rear window though?

This just posted on Facebook from the Church his father Pastors...
-------------------------------------------
An update from Kent, Jason's father.
"On behalf of the rest of our family, I want to thank all of you for your prayers and offers to help in the search for Jason. The search coordinators thought it best if trained searchers looked for him. It limited the people that could throw off the scent of Jason's trail. The trained searchers had GPS tracking so they could be certain what areas were searched. Contrary to some of the news reports, the search continues, just in a different manner. They used a drone to do 3D mapping of the area recently. That allows them to search for areas of interest on the computer, then go to that location to check it out. They plan to do another drone search soon.
Today is Day 16. Jason's disappearance still baffles the searchers and the detectives. Lisa and I met with the head detective yesterday at Jason's apartment. He has not given up. There are still some things they can do. Not being able to get into his phone or computer has slowed the process. They are waiting for the social media giants to respond with the data. We still have a lot of questions with few answers but are glad that we have not received the worse news, and are still hopeful. We're going to start trying to take care of our work responsibilities while hoping the phone rings with good news.
We appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers. It's the prayers that are keeping us going. Please keep the prayers coming for Jason's safe return."
Thanks for posting this. I feel so bad for his parents. I really want to know who saw him the day he left and what they’re saying. I wonder if he’s friends with his roommate(s). He might not be if this is his first year there. And they could have left town for the holidays already. It doesn’t sound like they’ve learned much.

"On behalf of the rest of our family, I want to thank all of you for your prayers and offers to help in the search for Jason. The search coordinators thought it best if trained searchers looked for him. It limited the people that could throw off the scent of Jason's trail. The trained searchers had GPS tracking so they could be certain what areas were searched. Contrary to some of the news reports, the search continues, just in a different manner. They used a drone to do 3D mapping of the area recently. That allows them to search for areas of interest on the computer, then go to that location to check it out. They plan to do another drone search soon.
Today is Day 16. Jason's disappearance still baffles the searchers and the detectives. Lisa and I met with the head detective yesterday at Jason's apartment. He has not given up. There are still some things they can do. Not being able to get into his phone or computer has slowed the process. They are waiting for the social media giants to respond with the data. We still have a lot of questions with few answers but are glad that we have not received the worse news, and are still hopeful. We're going to start trying to take care of our work responsibilities while hoping the phone rings with good news.
We appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers. It's the prayers that are keeping us going. Please keep the prayers coming for Jason's safe return."
81 Comments
158 Shares

Comment

Ooops.. Sorry this was just posted. Can't figure out how to delete.

81 Comments
158 Shares

Comment

Ooops.. Sorry this was just posted. Can't figure out how to delete.
It’s okay. It’s worth repeating for others to see! :)

That was part of my point, IMO. Humans in this situation can’t KNOW for sure that the item has the scent of the missing person. What are the humans going to do, sniff the t-shirt? It won’t tell them anything.

So, let’s say he accidentally packed something that belonged to his roommate—what then? Pretty unlikely? Sure, but we already KNOW that something pretty unlikely happened—most single-car accidents don’t turn into a situation like this.
Yes, we don't know what they used. It could have been an article of clothing, his wallet, or the scent from the drivers seat.

I think it's true that most single car accidents don't turn out like this, but there have been cases similar to this where the victim was not found for several days or was never found at all.

If he was injured, in shock, and wandered away from the scene of the accident there is probably very little chance he could have survived this long without food or water.

He may be out there somewhere and they just haven't found him yet.

It's possible that some of this damage could be from before this last wreck. That's an old car (2003), and it probably already had scrapes and dents.

What about the rear window though?
That is true. I didn’t think if that. Car wouldn’t have been drivable because of front tire alone. Even if the back trunk portion was removed after wreck.

I am wondering what happened around the time of Dec 10th last year. That is the day of this tweet and the same day (dec 10) of his last activity that is public on social media this year. This tweet from Dec 10, 2019 was posted at 3:45 am.
https://twitter.com/jasonlandry_/status/1204337038465667078?s=21
It’s funny how much one person can just f... your whole life up.

So sorry if this has been discussed. Have you guys noticed this picture of the car? The deep straight gouges on the drivers side door do not look like they came from a tree to me. Something is wrong with this story.

View attachment 277356

I may be reading too much into this, and it could be a shadow/glare... but if you zoom in really close on this picture, is that a patch of blood on the top left part of the steering wheel? The coloring looks different than the rest and it has an irregular circle shaped pattern. It’s barely detectable. But if it is, it would be consistent with JL hitting his head on the steering wheel, lending credibility to the theories of him being disoriented from head trauma. It could be the “small amount of blood inside the car”. Sorry, but I don’t know how to point out what I’m seeing

View attachment 277356
I may be reading too much into this, and it could be a shadow/glare... but if you zoom in really close on this picture, is that a patch of blood on the top left part of the steering wheel? The coloring looks different than the rest and it has an irregular circle shaped pattern. It’s barely detectable. But if it is, it would be consistent with JL hitting his head on the steering wheel, lending credibility to the theories of him being disoriented from head trauma. It could be the “small amount of blood inside the car”. Sorry, but I don’t know how to point out what I’m seeing
I see that too. Could be. But also crazy that wouldn’t concern initial responders.
Here is a close up. Quoting myself to include source.

Attachments

• 08D0D411-20F7-439E-9BFD-4F5D19CF24EF.jpeg
    08D0D411-20F7-439E-9BFD-4F5D19CF24EF.jpeg
    38.4 KB · Views: 130

View attachment 277356

Fortunately, there are now two separate investigations ongoing: DPS is focusing only on the crash investigation and the missing person by the Caldwell County Sheriff. DPS will definitely be able to determine if the vehicle struck an animal, another vehicle, or none of the above. Reportedly, the vehicle was located in a ditch off the road.

However, at this time, I'm not even certain if JL was driving or if he was alone in that car!

Late last week, Miller said, Texas DPS turned over the missing persons investigation to the Caldwell County Sheriff’s office, while DPS focuses on the crash investigation.

Missing Texas State student Jason Landry’s abandoned car did not cause immediate concern; police work to overcome early investigative delays

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member