TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Texas State student from Missouri City missing after car found totaled, abandoned

Family, friends and law enforcement officers from several agencies are searching for 21-year-old Texas State University student Jason Landry from Missouri City after his totaled and abandoned sedan was found near the college.

Landry left from Texas State to home for the Christmas break Sunday night. A passerby found his crashed-out car along Salt Flat Road around midnight, 30 miles from campus, and alerted police.

His wallet, phone and other belongings were left inside the Nissan Altima, his mother said.

The link includes a video of the news report. It shows Landry’s wrecked vehicle. Is it possible he was thrown from the car as he wrecked?

Law enforcement searching for Texas State student who disappeared after crash near Luling

To Note from article 1:
•Jason David Landry, 21, a Texas State University student
•Landry is from the Houston area
•Jason’s car was found wrecked
•LE officers found the crashed vehicle near Salt Flat Road north of Interstate 10
•wreck was near Luling, Texas
•wreck is believed to happen around midnight (Mon morning, Dec 14)
•personal items and a cell phone were found in the vehicle
•officials had a helicopter crew search the area for Landry or any other possible victims. Officers are still searching the area on the ground.

Texas State student from Missouri City missing after car found totaled, abandoned

To Note from article 2:
•Jason Landry is a 21-year-old Texas State University student
•Landry from Missouri City
•his totaled and abandoned sedan was found near the college
•A passerby found his crashed-out car along Salt Flat Road around midnight, 30 miles from campus, and alerted police
•his wallet, phone and other belongings were left inside the Nissan Altima
•Helicopters, hounds, horses, drones and lots of prayers are helping in the search, the family said

upload_2020-12-15_1-10-10.jpeg
Photo of Salt Flat Rd

I'm wondering if maybe he couldn't get the key out of the ignition after the wreck, due to front end damage and/or steering wheel locking mechanism.

I still wonder about the backpack found 100 feet away, and the possibility that he had more than one phone.

Also odd the news story last night used the phrase "backpack filled with narcotics". That implies a lot right?
It was discussed earlier today with the link supplied.
The 'filled with narcotics' bit was not consistent with the police report which merely stated narcotics and his wallet were located.
This is entirely a media elaboration.

Backpack filled with narcotics found near missing man's car

Here’s the link to last night’s video from thread #1

Someone asked in a previous post about earlier reports stating JL’s wallet was found outside the car, but the newer report states it was found in the backpack.
I think that’s just the ‘wording’ used & they mean the same thing...the wallet was found in his backpack that was outside of the car. IMO.

—————
In the video it showed where LE were unable to inventory the car when the initial report was taken, but eventually got into the car because his dad had the phone..so it’s possible his dad was given personal belongings from inside the car and was never given the backpack.

I think a good rule of thumb too sometimes is to not stick too firmly to initial media reports - as sometimes they are getting information from word-of-mouth versus facts early on. Like you said mlhenn, the wording feels very similar to me on the backpack/wallet issue.

Likely, if the vehicle was registered with the fathers name he would be able to access the vehicle at the tow yard.

Also odd the news story last night used the phrase "backpack filled with narcotics". That implies a lot right?

I don't think it implies anything if you consider the source (Fox 7). They've had a lot of people comment/complain on their site how they just try to draw you in but offer nothing. It was discussed up thread that what was actually said was NOT "filled" with narcotics. I don't feel like doing a search but something like 'narcotics found'. Definitely not 'filled with'.

It worked, didn't it! Drew ya in... yet not even true. I can't find the post (I think it might have been deleted because I KNOW I saw it, yet it's not coming up using the word 'sexpert'). I'm pretty sure it was the same site (Fox 7) that had a typo of 'sexperts' when they meant experts. Can't say for sure as nothing is coming up but I remember seeing it recently on this site. It was in the Alexis Sharkey thread. Someone thought it was a typo (they had made other typos) and mentioned that site was just reduced a few notches for reliability in their mind. Personally... if it was indeed Fox 7.... I'm more apt to believe it wasn't a typo, and was on purpose, to get your attention. Just like the teaser fib of them saying "filled with narcotics" when the actual video did not say the same thing.

Last edited:
In regards to Jason being so far down the wrong route...

I’m unfamiliar with the area so maybe someone can help answer this. :)
How far is it from the point where Jason didn’t turn/took the wrong turn to where his car was found...meaning how far did he travel on the wrong route?

(Not how far he was from his starting point, the 30 miles)

In regards to Jason being so far down the wrong route...

I’m unfamiliar with the area so maybe someone can help answer this. :)
How far is it from the point where Jason didn’t turn/took the wrong turn to where his car was found...meaning how far did he travel on the wrong route?

(Not how far he was from his starting point, the 30 miles)

I guess it depends on which address you use. Was the car found near 2365 Salt Flat Road, or near 4700 Salt Flat Road? I've seen both addresses mentioned. I think they are about two miles apart from each other.

So, according to Google Maps... maybe five to seven miles from that intersection where he did not turn toward I-10.

Last edited:
A couple things to note: 1) The narcotics in backpack is probably weed or wax or possibly an edible, etc. that contain THC (Marijuana) 2) I don't think this was a drug deal gone bad, but if it was, the drug deal didn't happen at this location. Drug transactions don't happen way down lonely roads, they happen in parking lots (Semi-public) places. If this were drug related, I could easily see a meetup that turned into a rip and hit and the bad guys taking his car and they were the ones that wrecked out. I put a lot of stock in the K-9s but since dogs can't really talk, we can't really know which scent the K-9 followed from the car. I still believe this was a carjacking or road rage event that happened up the road and the car was driven and crashed by someone else. I guess, though, he could have been chased to that location and crashed out and then kidnapped. It is still worth noting that abandoned and wrecked cars are very common at night and most DPS/Patrol Deputies are not going to immediately think otherwise when encountering this scene. It is just too common

I guess it depends on which address you use. Was the car found near 2365 Salt Flat Road, or near 4700 Salt Flat Road?

Believe it ended up being 2365 Salt Flat Road.

I know several people have commented why so far down that road if he indeed made a wrong turn.
So if in fact Jason just made a wrong turn, isn’t it possible his GPS was attempting to reroute him? Maybe at the same time he’s looking at the GPS thinking this can’t be right, not paying attn to the road & ended up wrecking?
Or maybe trusting the ‘reroute’ and continued down Salt Flat until the wreck?
Or realized he was not on the correct road but couldn’t find a place to turn around on such a dark desolate road?

I don’t know. I could be totally off but I feel this was a tragic accident and Jason stumbled away and he’s not too far from the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kat kruck