TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He had gone home for Thanksgiving so he had driven home before. I can see how he could maybe miss the turn if distracted, but that doesn’t explain why he drove so far down an obviously wrong, dark road into the country, turning into gravel. I think he would have turned around miles before he wrecked. I think he was impaired in some way before he ever got to the turn. The only other explanations that make sense to me is if he meant to be on that road or some one chased him that way.

Or if it wasn't him driving the car at that point.

He had gone home for Thanksgiving so he had driven home before. I can see how he could maybe miss the turn if distracted, but that doesn’t explain why he drove so far down an obviously wrong, dark road into the country, turning into gravel. I think he would have turned around miles before he wrecked. I think he was impaired in some way before he ever got to the turn. The only other explanations that make sense to me is if he meant to be on that road or some one chased him that way.
Or he perceived he was being chased....

Absolutely. Which could be due to impairment of some kind. I think there’s a better reason for him wrecking waaaaayyyyyyy down that road than just missing the turn. That never has worked for me.

I totally agree with you. IMHO there is NO way he accidentally missed his turn and got that far down the road without realizing the mistake (wheels on gravel) and turning around. But I feel something was amiss at that point since "He'd drive into a brick wall if Waze told him to" (quote from his father) and he never turned Waze back on after Snapping with someone back at the intersection in Luling.

I'm not sure who was driving the car at that point, but something was very wrong by that time. Either he was fleeing someone/something real or imagined, or something happened to him after Snapping by the park and someone else was driving the car down that road to stage it. Why? No clue.

I've missed turns and gone down gravel roads before and sometimes the problem is finding a spot in which to turn around. The fact that it was nighttimeand on unfamiliar road would really compound the difficulty.

I've missed turns and gone down gravel roads before and sometimes the problem is finding a spot in which to turn around. The fact that it was nighttimeand on unfamiliar road would really compound the difficulty.

Yes, but have you gone nearly 5 miles down a gravel road, with plenty of opportunities to turn around, yet continued forward on the wrong path? That's what happened in this case. His headlights would have shown him areas to turn around. Whoever was driving the car simply didn't do that. I've seen videos of people that drove SFR late at night to show folks what it was like. I saw areas that I could have easily used to turn my car around and it wouldn't have taken me 5+ miles to do it.

That's interesting. I'm serious and not being sarcastic.

Yes, but have you gone nearly 5 miles down a gravel road, with plenty of opportunities to turn around, yet continued forward on the wrong path? That's what happened in this case. His headlights would have shown him areas to turn around. Whoever was driving the car simply didn't do that. I've seen videos of people that drove SFR late at night to show folks what it was like. I saw areas that I could have easily used to turn my car around and it wouldn't have taken me 5+ miles to do it.
I grew up on a farm in the midwest on a gravel road that turned to dirt (minimum maintenance) in the middle of the section, just a couple hundred feet past our driveway. If you turned up the dirt road, it deadended a half mile away into a T intersection where you would have to turn right or left. If you drove the other direction down the gravel road, you would drive for 3 and a half miles over narrow bridges & little hills & ridgeboard intersections and ruts and down a seriously crowned road - and then you would hit an intersection where you could continue on down a paved US highway for miles & miles & miles. Or you could turn right or left onto a paved highway road as well. ...sorry for the long drawn out description but, here's the deal: we *VERY* regularly had people that would get stuck on the dirt road after it had rained or snowed. These people that got stuck would generally act like they thought it was *our* fault that the road changed to dirt and fully thought it was our responsibility to pull them out. And when we asked what they were doing on the road to start with and how they missed the big bright reflective signs that notified them there was a minimum maintenance road ahead or that it dead-ended just further ahead, their response was very commonly that they fully believed they were still driving on the paved US highway that they'd left 3 & a half miles earlier when the highway made a one mile jog before it continued on. This was obviously before tech like Waze or Google/Apple Maps. And these are the experiences that I've had which have formed my opinions of people and their driving habits. And it's why I don't flinch for even a second to accept that Jason drove a few miles before attempting to turn around or realize that his phone wasn't navigating him any longer. I'm sure it seems completely unfathomable to most people to think that JL couldn't have known that he'd missed his turn. But honestly, this stuff happens.

I am not opposed to the theory of foul play, but so far I haven't seen any motives that would lead me to that belief! Nothing was stolen (well, you could argue Jason was 'stolen'), car wasn't taken or stripped, his bag did not show evidence of being looked through to my knowledge (and if someone had looked thru it I think they would have taken the marijuana), Jason is not the 'typical' or 'easy' victim of kidnapping/sexual assault so I'm doubtful that would be a motive, he was not involved in any known shady business or dealings, and even if he was, I don't know why someone would lie in wait and intercept him in a public street (vs. in his uni housing or when he arrived at his parents house).
Some people do horrible things for no good reason and there doesn't have to be a motive, but often those criminals are mentally ill to the point of being non-functioning, and thus don't have the foresight to cover their tracks and heavily conceal a victim. Writing this also made me remember serial killers who targeted strangers, not typically but sometimes only men (Jeffrey Dahmer is the most well-known of the bunch!), hitchhiking/looking for a ride/in some sort of trouble and accepting help from a kind stranger... that sort of scenario can't be ruled out but IMO that's a one-in-a-million chance that Jason happened to meet such a person.
Don't want to beat a dead horse at this point in the thread :p but TLDR; with no information pointing to any good answer, Occam's Razor is a good place to start.

Last edited:
I grew up on a farm in the midwest on a gravel road that turned to dirt (minimum maintenance) in the middle of the section, just a couple hundred feet past our driveway. If you turned up the dirt road, it deadended a half mile away into a T intersection where you would have to turn right or left. If you drove the other direction down the gravel road, you would drive for 3 and a half miles over narrow bridges & little hills & ridgeboard intersections and ruts and down a seriously crowned road - and then you would hit an intersection where you could continue on down a paved US highway for miles & miles & miles. Or you could turn right or left onto a paved highway road as well. ...sorry for the long drawn out description but, here's the deal: we *VERY* regularly had people that would get stuck on the dirt road after it had rained or snowed. These people that got stuck would generally act like they thought it was *our* fault that the road changed to dirt and fully thought it was our responsibility to pull them out. And when we asked what they were doing on the road to start with and how they missed the big bright reflective signs that notified them there was a minimum maintenance road ahead or that it dead-ended just further ahead, their response was very commonly that they fully believed they were still driving on the paved US highway that they'd left 3 & a half miles earlier when the highway made a one mile jog before it continued on. This was obviously before tech like Waze or Google/Apple Maps. And these are the experiences that I've had which have formed my opinions of people and their driving habits. And it's why I don't flinch for even a second to accept that Jason drove a few miles before attempting to turn around or realize that his phone wasn't navigating him any longer. I'm sure it seems completely unfathomable to most people to think that JL couldn't have known that he'd missed his turn. But honestly, this stuff happens.

My bad. I was using logic when I should have known better. lol Appreciate you detailing your experience.

[Snipped for focus

“the clothes weren't just tossed. it was a trail of clothing following a logical path of someone taking the clothing off as they're running.

? What is your source for “it was a trail of clothing”?

? What is your source for “a logical path”

? “of someone taking the clothing off
as they're running.”

I read the clothing was in two piles many yards apart.

What is a logical trail?

Who said Jason was running?

? What is your source for “it was a trail of clothing”?

? What is your source for “a logical path”

? “of someone taking the clothing off
as they're running.”

I read the clothing was in two piles many yards apart.

What is a logical trail?

Who said Jason was running?
Brainscratch video by lordanarts. Kent Landry said each item was in a trail. Watch underneath shirt I think, laid flat. Not in two piles at all.

ETA video added

Brainscratch video by lordanarts. Kent Landry said each item was in a trail. Watch underneath shirt I think, laid flat. Not in two piles

But see what Caldeell sheriff said:

“Troopers who responded to the crash scene found Jason’s backpack, ball cap, toiletries and a tumbler with his dead betta fish in it on the road about 900 feet away. They say the backpack contained a small amount of marijuana, a laptop and gaming

Jason’s father arrived at the scene just a few hours later to find some of his son’s clothes, including a shirt, shorts, underwear, and a wristwatch, scattered on the roadway about 900 feet from the crash scene.
Cell phone data reveals timeline in mysterious disappearance of Texas State student Jason Landry
CCSO said about 900 feet from the crash, a backpack, a ball cap, a plastic bag of personal toiletries and a tumbler with Landry’s dead beta fish were also found. These were located north of the clothing found by Landry’s father.
Jason Landry search: More details released in ongoing search for Texas State student

I dont see where LE or Dad said anything about s logical trail of clothes shed while running.

Do you think JL ran more than 900 feet shedding clothes while about to conceal himself and die from a mortal but bloodless head injury?[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
@jondaba
Below is a previous post that will help answer your “clothes” question. The source for that particular question is from the Brainscratch video

I went back to the interview with Jason’s father and listened to the part concerning his clothes in the roadway. It starts at the 57:57 mark.
Jason’s father was asked, “Was his clothes in a pile?
The father’s reply (58:17 mark): “No, they were NOT in one pile.

He then continues: “They (articles of clothing) were near but separate. His watch was under his t-shirt. A few feet forward would be his slides, then socks, then shorts, underwear...all within (this trail of clothes) less than 100 yards.”

Note that Dad was quoted as finding clothes scattered on the highway, not ALONG the highway.

Thinking back to my own college days, when I was young and didn't always make the best decisions ...

I wonder if Jason might've been drunk or otherwise incapacitated when he left the college, maybe planning to go to a friend's house (perhaps to continue partying/drinking/etc. that night), then go home the following day or two after he'd sobered up. He got confused, and made a wrong turn, and eventually wrecked. Perhaps he was afraid of getting a DUI and/or getting in trouble with his parents, so he hid somewhere to give himself time to sober up. Alcohol can sometimes make feel you overheated, so that could be why he shed his clothes. And if he'd had too much to drink, alcohol poisoning could have been a factor. Alcohol poisoning can be fatal (i.e. getting choked on vomit due to a reduced gag reflex, low body temperature, low or irregular heart rate, seizures, serious lack of coordination resulting in a fall, etc.). Maybe he hid himself so well that the searchers haven't yet found him. :(

Now, I don't know if he was drinking AT ALL -- I hope he wasn't -- but when I was in college, many (probably most) of the kids I knew did drink, some to the point of vomiting and/or passing out.

Maybe this could be a possibility?

I posted about this a while back in regards to Jamisa Gilbert being found naked, deceased, and so far into a briar thicket they had to use chainsaws to retrieve her body. She was also seen running up and down a road naked on a cam so pain in her feet wasn't stopping her before she burrowed into a thicket.

I find it highly likely that Jason wasn't feeling much pain either. This might also mean he could have gotten further than they thought, or hidden himself very well.

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.tow...-11e3-9533-0017a43b2370/53596462b5175.pdf.pdf

BBM
Thank you for this, @Gemmie.

The article from the link you posted has completely changed my idea of what may have happened to Jason, had he smoked just a small amount of marijuana the night he disappeared.

From the autopsy report for Ms. Gilbert, in the link you provided, we learn that she had a small amount of marijuana in her system, "consistent with having recently taken a few puffs from one to two joints. There were no other illegal substances in her system."

Her cause of death was hypothermia, and although the temperature the night of her death was lower than the night Jason disappeared, the autopsy report states " marijuana likely contributed to death, although the degree to which it contributed to death is uncertain."

Her naked body was covered with "hundreds of abrasions," including on the soles of her feet, from running or walking naked and burrowing into the briar patch.

Her clothes, as Jason's, were found distributed over some distance as she stripped naked.

It was determined she most likely had an psychoactive reaction to the very small amount of marijuana – .001 mg/L – she had inhaled.

The autopsy report also states, " it is unknown whether the decedent's actions of removing her clothes are due to psychoactive effects of marijuana or due to paradoxical undressing." The toxicologist also explains that psychoactive drug effects of marijuana are uncommon, but can produce "euphoria, altered perception of time, perceptual disturbances, and acute psychosis, with symptoms including but not limited to paranoid delusions, auditory and visual hallucinations and disorganized thinking. Generally, psychotic symptoms, when experienced, last minutes to hours, with some reports of symptoms lasting for weeks. Additionally, psychotic symptoms have been documented to recur with repeated cannabis use."

@Gemmie, I see you tell us that you posted a while back about how Ms. Gilbert was found, as we consider what may have happened to Jason. I'm impressed by the correlations you've unearthed.

I must have missed your earlier post, because I'm surprised by what I've learned from reading Ms. Gilbert's autopsy report, and understanding now that it's possible to experience acute psychosis from marijuana at all, never mind from just a few puffs.

I'm not just surprised by what I've learned, but frankly shocked, and very humbled too by how ignorant I've been about marijuana, in spite of having used it for more than fifty years.

I apologize to those who've previously suggested Jason could have experienced just such a psychotic reaction to weed, because I've scrolled by your posts, thinking surely you pondered something ridiculously impossible. Now, I agree with you that it's a possible, even a probable explanation of why and how Jason disappeared. My mind if flailing and grabs at a hope he also experienced euphoria, if it's so he met his death that night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RabbitB