TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
  • I don't understand why JL would crash his vehicle, on purpose, in order to help form a cover story for him wishing to leave his current life behind so he could form a new life somewhere when had no formal education, no money, no car, no cellphone, no gaming equipment, no clothes and an obviously beloved pet is dead in the road. Regardless how the beta's life ended, Jason apparently abandoned his precious fish on the road.

Not on board with “new life” theory. You don’t need to tale off shoes & clothes to start a new life somewhere else.

Likewise, only serious, extreme drugging could explain the theory that post-crash, JL walked 300 yards back down the road toward Luling, then suddenly and voluntarily threw away his shoes, traversed a barbwire fence and, in the pitch-black darkness, walked barefoot into unfamiliar woods.

I don't think Jason was ever on SFR.
He was done in and disposed of in Luling.
Then the perp(s) headed out on SFR and crashed. They gathered up whatever was in the car and started walking back to town.

They got spooked, threw down the booty and split the scene.

The reward needs to published and postered in the languages spoken by the bad guys of Lubling.

Whether foul play or deliberate leaving, the scene of the car and the clothes and backpack on the road have served to keep attention and focus on Salt Flat road. Whether dead or alive, I do not believe he is in that area or ever was on Salt Flat Road.

Well, that's a brilliant and interesting thought. Yes, these university frat initiations and games can be weird and involve going stupid dares, so I think it's not beyond the realm of possibilities.

I wonder if something like a 'frat dare' went wrong, and he passed away and was temporarily hidden in that derelict house, then moved. Dogs did trace his scent there after all. Although the window of time before the firefighter arrived makes this part unlikely.

But, yes, something along those lines.

I wonder if the university he went to has a history of over-the-top frat boy dares?
Apologies if this has already been discussed, I don’t recall... was the “derelict” house searched? I mean really searched? Chimney, ceilings, wall cavities? Just a random thought this evening while continuing to hope Jason can be brought home to his Family.

Several year's ago, the father of a high school friend of mine was in a car accident on a frontage road next to an Interstate. He was injured (bleeding from forehead) but not critically injured. Someone did stop and offer assistance, however he refused. He disappeared shortly after this. There were multiple search expeditions, with and without SAR teams, however no sign of him turned up. He was missing for about a year and a half before he was found by hunters huddled up under some trees/brush, very well hidden. He was well within the search grid, and less than 2 miles from where he was last seen. I share this because, Jason could still be out there, well hidden. Until we find him, we won't know what actually happened to him.

Lol, I lived in Texas for four years and had never heard of a 'Thump' . I had to Google it. Apparently in the 1950's they held a contest to name the Luling Watermelon festival, and 'Thump' was the winner. You learn something new every day on here!

It's all about the watermelons... and it attracts about 30,000 people to the area, so setting up a booth here makes sense.

The video / short movie is interesting (familiar names... it's a small town):

Opinion | Vying for the Watermelon Thump Crown (Published 2019)

Last edited:
Several year's ago, the father of a high school friend of mine was in a car accident on a frontage road next to an Interstate. He was injured (bleeding from forehead) but not critically injured. Someone did stop and offer assistance, however he refused. He disappeared shortly after this. There were multiple search expeditions, with and without SAR teams, however no sign of him turned up. He was missing for about a year and a half before he was found by hunters huddled up under some trees/brush, very well hidden. He was well within the search grid, and less than 2 miles from where he was last seen. I share this because, Jason could still be out there, well hidden. Until we find him, we won't know what actually happened to him.
Thank you for sharing; I truly do believe that this will be Jason's final outcome. People get confused/suspicious when a body is found right where thorough SARs searches were going on, but sadly, it does happen...all the time. Whenever that's just human error, or if you want to believe it's a bit ~spooky~ (a la Missing 411), it's definitely a phenomenon that must be considered.

Interesting. As hard as it is to grasp, this does happen. For that reason, we can't assume foul play.

Interesting. As hard as it is to grasp, this does happen. For that reason, we can't assume foul play.
Well, it is a mystery. Therefore, while it would be erroneous to form assumptions, it is reasonable to advance and argue theories.

You are proposing the theory that JL was injured - bloodlessly - but fatally - when he crashed his car on SFR - but before dying, he decided to and did conceal himself, which he did so well - in the pitch-blackness - that repeated searches by veteran, highly-equipped searchers could not find his body.

That’s your theory.

My theory is that JL was the victim of foul play commencing in Luling.

You are proposing the theory that JL was injured - bloodlessly - but fatally - when he crashed his car on SFR - but before dying, he decided to and did conceal himself, which he did so well - in the pitch-blackness - that repeated searches by veteran, highly-equipped searchers could not find his body.

IMO, quite a realistic theory.

Honestly, until additional information is found and/or shared, I feel theories are pretty much what we have to focus on...

......but before dying, he decided to and did conceal himself, which he did so well - in the pitch-blackness - that repeated searches by veteran, highly-equipped searchers could not find his body.

Yes, he may have concealed himself on purpose. It's not against the realms of possibilities. It was cold, and December and night. He had a car accident, so maybe he did take shelter in a covered ditch or under foliage. And if he wasn't thinking straight and had inhaled some marijuana, then it makes it even more plausible that he did.

It's also very plausible that searchers couldn't find him. It has happened, and continues to happen. It's a fallible system, even with sniffer dogs and people can only do their best.

I got in on this case late and it has been driving me nuts. Forgive me if I ask about something that has already been gone over. Do we know if they searched all oil tanks and open wells in that area? A body won’t float in oil, but clothing might, and dogs might not be able to track as well.

Also, was he driving north or south when he wrecked? Did he maybe spin out trying to turn around after realizing he missed his turn? Maybe frustrated because he couldn’t find his phone? His clothes, backpack and contents, and deceased Betta (RIP) were allegedly south of scene like maybe he was walking back to town.

I can’t buy the head injury theories. Rural Texas during a new moon and possibly cloudy would be way too dark to leave the road without a flashlight or phone. This smells pretty nefarious to me.

I got in on this case late and it has been driving me nuts. Forgive me if I ask about something that has already been gone over. Do we know if they searched all oil tanks and open wells in that area? A body won’t float in oil, but clothing might, and dogs might not be able to track as well.

Also, was he driving north or south when he wrecked? Did he maybe spin out trying to turn around after realizing he missed his turn? Maybe frustrated because he couldn’t find his phone? His clothes, backpack and contents, and deceased Betta (RIP) were allegedly south of scene like maybe he was walking back to town.

I can’t buy the head injury theories. Rural Texas during a new moon and possibly cloudy would be way too dark to leave the road without a flashlight or phone. This smells pretty nefarious to me.

Re: searching the tanks.... Not that I'm aware of. It's something I've been saying for a while that they need to do.

As far as clothing might float... It appears he stripped down to nothing if we're to believe that the clothing in the road is something he did, and not staged.

The crash site is north of Luling so unless he passed the crash site, turned around (more than 5 miles from where he should have turned right to stay on the main highway), and crashed going south.... I'm going to venture a guess that the vehicle was going northeast as I do not believe the car passed the site after driving over 5 miles down a gravel road, then turned around. Also, there are skidded tire tracks from the south.

I doubt it would take him ~5 miles down a gravel road before someone would determine they missed their turn. Others have posted that they don't agree with that.

Lastly, I'm not convinced it was him driving the car down SFR. All we know for sure is that HIS car drove down SFR and crashed, and HIS clothing and betta were found on the road. Sure, one could assume that it had to be him doing that but not necessarily. His digital footprint ended back in town so he might not have even been alive as someone drove his car down the road to abandon it. So much is unknown.

I agree on it smelling pretty nefarious. I also believe whatever happened started back in town and that Luling (perhaps the park the car passed by?) was where whatever happened began.

And just so you're aware.... I got in the case from the get-go and it's driving me nuts too! LOL :p

Last edited:
Re: searching the tanks.... Not that I'm aware of. It's something I've been saying for a while that they need to do.

As far as clothing might float... he stripped down to nothing if we're to believe that the clothing in the road is something he did, and not staged.

The crash site is north of Luling so unless he passed the crash site, turned around (more than 5 miles from where he should have turned right to stay on the main highway), and crashed going south.... I'm going to venture a guess that the vehicle was going northeast as I do not believe the car passed the site after driving over 5 miles down a gravel road, then turned around. Also, there are skidded tire tracks from the south.

I doubt it took him ~5 miles down a gravel road before someone would determine they missed their turn.

Lastly, I'm not convinced it was him driving the car down SFR. All we know for sure is that HIS car drive down SFR and crashed, and HIS clothing and beta were found on the road. Sure, one could assume that it had to be him doing that but not necessarily. His digital footprint ended back in town so he might not have even been alive as someone drove his car down the road to abandon it. So much is unknown.

I agree on it smelling pretty nefarious. I also believe whatever happened started back in town and that Luling (perhaps the park the car passed by?) was where whatever happened began.

And just so you're aware.... I got in the case from the get-go and it's driving me nuts too! LOL :p

The backpack and clothes in the road is the part that makes me think he was alone. And the fish! I’m guessing it was initially in cup holder in console…I just can’t picture someone grabbing that just to dump in the road with other belongings just to throw off LE, but anything is possible. As far as the distance he drove off route, well, i think it’s safe to say he was probably stoned. I may or may not have experience with doing similar things once or thrice.

Do they ever say which pond they drained? There are at least 2 large ones nearby that I can see. One is near a highway…

edit: Also, about the clothes, I meant someone could have made him strip prior to oil tank submersion- body could disarticulate during decomp eventually and clothes float and would see when looking in? Or I could just watch too many crime shows. I suspect most on Websleuths do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member