TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has no one from MSM interviewed his roommates, friends, coworkers?
Nothing about what was going on in his life prior to that night?
Missing a big piece of important information.
JMO

Most of the info about him in relation to that that I have found has been from interviews or posted by his dad. He just seems like a typical college student going home for holiday break. Gamer, cannabis partaker…I think he had recently started at that school and his dad said on a podcast that he thought this was the first time he had driven that route at night.

Most of the info about him in relation to that that I have found has been from interviews or posted by his dad. He just seems like a typical college student going home for holiday break. Gamer, cannabis partaker…I think he had recently started at that school and his dad said on a podcast that he thought this was the first time he had driven that route at night.

I thought he had driven that route at least once before. Likely Thanksgiving. I'm sure someone will correct me (please do. :)) if I'm wrong.

@jondaba - all your post contains is someone else's Quote. Did your text not show up or something? You probably have time to edit your post and add what you were trying to say. I'd like to see what you have to say about the quoted post. :)

Re: searching the tanks.... Not that I'm aware of. It's something I've been saying for a while that they need to do.

As far as clothing might float... It appears he stripped down to nothing if we're to believe that the clothing in the road is something he did, and not staged.

The crash site is north of Luling so unless he passed the crash site, turned around (more than 5 miles from where he should have turned right to stay on the main highway), and crashed going south.... I'm going to venture a guess that the vehicle was going northeast as I do not believe the car passed the site after driving over 5 miles down a gravel road, then turned around. Also, there are skidded tire tracks from the south.

I doubt it would take him ~5 miles down a gravel road before someone would determine they missed their turn. Others have posted that they don't agree with that.

Lastly, I'm not convinced it was him driving the car down SFR. All we know for sure is that HIS car drove down SFR and crashed, and HIS clothing and betta were found on the road. Sure, one could assume that it had to be him doing that but not necessarily. His digital footprint ended back in town so he might not have even been alive as someone drove his car down the road to abandon it. So much is unknown.

I agree on it smelling pretty nefarious. I also believe whatever happened started back in town and that Luling (perhaps the park the car passed by?) was where whatever happened began.

And just so you're aware.... I got in the case from the get-go and it's driving me nuts too! LOL :p

If it was so cold, JL did not voluntarily take off his clothes. I don't get how he would hike around in the unfamiliar woods after taking off his shoes! In total darkness?

I am also not in favor of blowing off the experienced, repeated searchers, veteran searchers, well-equipped, helicopters, infra-red, dogs, searched again and again. I think these guys have the experience and brains to look in ditches, derelict houses, ravines, under bushes, in holes etc.

FIRST SEARCH

"Texas EquuSearch said in a statement released Tuesday afternoon that over the past nine days they have searched every accessible, reasonable and practical place that he might be near Luling, Texas.

Searchers said they have utilized multiple resources in the search, including a helicopter with infrared cameras, UAVs (drones), side-scan sonar, scent dogs, as well as searchers on foot, ATVs and horseback."

SECOND SEARCH

"Update: Feb. 26, 2:40 p.m.
Texas Search and Rescue (TEXSAR) continued its search for Jason Landry at 8 a.m. on Feb. 26.

The search has resumed at the request of the Caldwell County Sheriff's Office, TEXSAR says in a statement, and will consist of a team of over 100 TEXSAR members.

Teams will include search and rescue K9's trained in human remains detection as well as TEXSAR's Mounted Search and Rescue Team, UAV/drones, ground search and rescue experts, side scan sonar, water search resources and a helicopter.

Landry has been missing since Dec. 13, 2020. TEXSAR's initial search consisted of nine days of ground search and three days of aerial search spanning 31,680 acres".

These searchers were not out there goofing off!

Now of course, all we have is theories - we know nothing. But I am betting that Equusearch and TEXSAR would have found JL's body if it were there.

@jondaba - all your post contains is someone else's Quote. Did your text not show up or something? You probably have time to edit your post and add what you were trying to say. I'd like to see what you have to say about the quoted post. :)
Mistake somehow. Thanks for calling it to my attention. I think I fixed it.

Mistake somehow. Thanks for calling it to my attention. I think I fixed it.

Yes. You sure had a lot to say! Good thing you didn't lose it all. It's frustrating when you've typed that much and *POOF*, it's gone.

"Texas EquuSearch said in a statement released Tuesday afternoon that over the past nine days they have searched every accessible, reasonable and practical place that he might be near Luling, Texas.
^^ rsbbm

Respectfully, I do not believe anybody has ever blown off the efforts of the experienced, veteran searchers.

I think the keyword here is [legally] accessible. Drones have been a significant part of the search effort for JL and they are not infallible -- especially for confined space inspections.

This thread already is full of examples of missing persons later found where previously searched. MOO

It's kinda like the lost golf ball theory... You know what it looks like, and you know whereabouts it landed, yet you can't find it. Then some stranger comes along days/weeks/months/years later, not even knowing a lost ball is out there, yet stumbles across it.

Let's look at it from a different perspective. Usually (and I hope this isn't a gross simplification or distortion) people look at "motive" and "opportunity" for foul play/criminal activity.

In general

Opportunity: unclear. He left at 11 p.m., not even his parents know (with certainty) that he would be showing up after midnight. He had driven less than thirty minutes before his "digital trail" disappeared. He did open the Snapchat app which turned off his Waze, so there might be something there.
Motive: None known/clear. Nothing of JL's valuables are missing - his gaming gear was all there, his phone was stuck in the car, nobody had took the marijuana either (if there is a third party involved).

Jason met foul play in Luling idea:

Opportunity: He was in Luling for less than five minutes...again, i keep coming back to whether he was in contact with someone on Snapchat at the time, a meetup of some kind.
Motive: Again, none that I can think of. No financial/valuables missing. Someone suggested earlier that KL being an attorney could have made him a target. Again, I doubt that because it serves neither purpose to make him seem possibly alive (so no kidnap motive). If it's to "send a message," again, there is no body, it does not serve as "deterrence."

It also strains credulity that whoever harmed him in Luling would have taken the car and crashed it on SFR. From an earlier post, it's a bumpy, rickety dirt road, can't drive fast (the wording was that if he was being chased down SFR he'd have a flat/blowout long before the accident site). Someone would have taken another road to take the car wherever if that was part of a plan.

Jason tried to start a new life.

Opportunity: again we veer off into possibly unknown third parties and descend into 100% speculation.
Motive: I highly doubt (though not impossible) to imagine someone going off without phone, backpack, or beta fish.

While the single car accident/wandered off theory has a lot of holes, doesn't make a lot of sense, and has a lot of questions, I find any other theory (as of right now) to make even less sense.

I'd just like to make it clear that my belief in the 'wandered off and is in the area' theory does NOT mean I think SARs is incompetent, or not working hard enough, or not being thorough. I really really respect their work and I know they have a high success rate. In cases like Richard Morris, Alan White, and Barbara Thomas, SAR put in an impressive amount of hours and still failed to be the one to find the person.
It's hard for me to visualize how professionals can miss something that a dog-walker/mushroom hunter/etc finds later, but I just have to remember how large search areas really are, and how many places in the environment can hide/cover a body. It's in my bucket list to be part of a volunteer search n rescue, which I think would help me visualize how large search radii can be.

Last edited:
I'd just like to make it clear that my belief in the 'wandered off and is in the area' theory does NOT mean I think SARs is incompetent, or not working hard enough, or not being thorough. I really really respect their work and I know they have a high success rate. In cases like Richard Morris, Alan White, and Barbara Thomas, SAR put in an impressive amount of hours and still failed to be the one to find the person.
It's hard for me to visualize how professionals can miss something that a dog-walker/mushroom hunter/etc finds later, but I just have to remember how large search areas really are, and how many places in the environment can hide/cover a body. It's in my bucket list to be part of a volunteer search n rescue, which I think would help me visualize how large search radii can be.

Nice item on your bucket list. :) Can you please come back and tell us your thoughts after you've done that? I'm going to venture a guess that it will be much harder/expansive/etc. than whatever you can imagine it to be. It would be good to hear from someone who's dealt with it from both sides (As a websleuther first, trying to figure out these cases, to someone who actually worked a volunteer search and rescue).

If it was so cold, JL did not voluntarily take off his clothes. I don't get how he would hike around in the unfamiliar woods after taking off his shoes! In total darkness?

I am also not in favor of blowing off the experienced, repeated searchers, veteran searchers, well-equipped, helicopters, infra-red, dogs, searched again and again. I think these guys have the experience and brains to look in ditches, derelict houses, ravines, under bushes, in holes etc.

FIRST SEARCH

Searchers said they have utilized multiple resources in the search, including a helicopter with infrared cameras, UAVs (drones), side-scan sonar, scent dogs, as well as searchers on foot, ATVs and horseback."

SECOND SEARCH

"Update: Feb. 26, 2:40 p.m.
Texas Search and Rescue (TEXSAR) continued its search for Jason Landry at 8 a.m. on Feb. 26.

The search has resumed at the request of the Caldwell County Sheriff's Office, TEXSAR says in a statement, and will consist of a team of over 100 TEXSAR members.

Teams will include search and rescue K9's trained in human remains detection as well as TEXSAR's Mounted Search and Rescue Team, UAV/drones, ground search and rescue experts, side scan sonar, water search resources and a helicopter.

Landry has been missing since Dec. 13, 2020. TEXSAR's initial search consisted of nine days of ground search and three days of aerial search spanning 31,680 acres".

These searchers were not out there goofing off!

Now of course, all we have is theories - we know nothing. But I am betting that Equusearch and TEXSAR would have found JL's body if it were there.
I agree with you ! But we didn’t get any update or press info on the second search of Texas Search and Rescue ! They said they would inform the public!
Where could he have gone in total darkness and it seems without cloths on? He just varnished!

Its an interesting idea that SARs missed Alan White. Have you a source for that?

To reply to your post - Texas Search and Rescue I believe never searched for Allan White not even near the abandoned car- they surly would have found him !
MOO

To reply to your post - Texas Search and Rescue I believe never searched for Allan White not even near the abandoned car- they surly would have found him !
MOO
Oops, thank you! Sorry for misspeaking. I remembered some sort of search but it appears to be mainly by family/friends, not a professional SAR organization.

I was interested into what other examples I could come up with (other than Richard and Barbara who come to my mind first) of people who were later found in an area that received an adequate search, in order to learn from these cases and apply them to Jason's case.
Here are a few examples; please let me know if you know of any more!

Richard Morris - search included police officers, volunteers, Hampshire S&R, police dogs, search of the river, CCTV searches, and drone searches. Nearly 4 months later, he was found in his usual running spot, Alice Holt Forest, which is just over 2000 acres (8+ square kilometers).
Barbara Thomas - I'm sure most of us remember her disappearance. The search was extensive and involved SARs, canines, helicopters, park rangers, and vehicles. Year and a half later, she was found in roughly the same area (I don't think exact parameters have ever been released).
Matthew Lang - went missing after a one-car accident. Jackson County SAR had 'scoured' the area for 3 weeks until they finally found his body in the lake, several hundred yards away from the site. It was suggested that they found him once putrefaction released enough gases to allow him to float, but it is still strange that they missed him initially as I'm sure him being in the lake was a possibility which was investigated.
Adre'Anna Jackson - was murdered/abducted when walking to school, 500 people were searching within the first day. 4 months later, her skeleton was found in an empty lot that was overrun with brambles. The lot was under 2 miles from her house, and about a mile away from the school she was trying to reach. We DO have answers of how she was missed - the police admitted they didn't search there because they would have had to cut through the brambles o_O. She could have been placed there later but we will never know for sure, because it wasn't searched. This is a good example of why SAR should search EVERYWHERE within a search parameter, despite how unlikely it is that the person would be there.
Lynn Messer - went missing from her rural farm property. The search was extensive, involving dogs, and covered around 5000 acres. 2 years later, about a mile from her house, near the border of a cow pasture (which did have heavy foliage), her remains were found. Regardless of how she got there (suicide vs foul play), ME does believe her body had not been moved.
Justin Evans - this is a Canadian case that is still breaking/releasing new info. While professional SAR was never brought on, police claim they searched the area surrounding the RV park (and presumably inside the park itself), used a canine, and took aerial footage. About 5 months later, his body was found in a swampy area that borders the RV park, about a 1000 feet away.
Holly Courtier - I'm sure many of this remember this one as well lol. Searches used LE, canines, helicopters, and drones. It's known to have cost 60k$. 12 days later, found close by to where she had gone missing from. I'm not CONFIDENT about her inclusion on my list as I don't think they could ever prove that Holly had not left the area (and many think she must have to get supplies).
Lisa Prescott - When initially went missing, had multi-agency searches done. 2 years later, an additional search for Lisa by Equusearch Midwest found her remains, only 1300 feet from her house. This is also a bit of an ~eh on the list, as it's possible family was involved and thus Lisa might not have been there the whole time.

I was interested into what other examples I could come up with (other than Richard and Barbara who come to my mind first) of people who were later found in an area that received an adequate search, in order to learn from these cases and apply them to Jason's case.
Here are a few examples; please let me know if you know of any more!

Vanessa Guillen: Remains found in a previously-searched area 2 months after she was reported missing in April 2020.

Killing of Vanessa Guillén - Wikipedia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member