GUILTY TX - Jazmine Barnes, 7, shot/killed in drive-by shooting, Houston, Dec 2018 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
'Someone was falsely accused': Jazmine Barnes' family regrets hate crime cries
'Someone was falsely accused': Jazmine Barnes' family regrets hate crime cries

Unsurprised.

What led Washington to believe they were shot at because they were black?

"When we went to the hospital, that wasn’t crossing her mind,” Buffin said.

Buffin said once word about the shooting became news, it went viral. From there, activists swarmed her family -- listening to Washington and her daughters’ description of a white gunman. They told them the shooting likely was a hate crime.

Interesting article about gang policing efforts, Houston and nationwide, and their effectiveness.

Houston police want to target gang violence. It won't work. [Opinion]

The tragic killing of Jazmine Barnes, 7, last month thrust the problem of gang violence into the headlines. Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo has reassured us that HPD is on the job tracking the activity of gang members through its Gang Violence Task Force, which quickly arrested suspects in this case. Gov. Greg Abbott has weighed in as well, calling for an expansion of state support for local efforts to fight gangs. But more intensive gang suppression policing has rarely proven to be an effective long-term response and has often led to abusive practices and a hardening of gang identities.

The intensified policing of gangs using gang databases, injunctions, enhanced sentences and broad conspiracy charges relies on the same tough-on-crime logic that has driven much of the massive increase in incarceration over the last 40 years. It assumes that deterrence and incapacitation are the only ways to change the behavior of young people and that any young person who engages in almost any kind of violent behavior is a hardened sociopath with no possibility for an alternative future.

Everything We Know About the Shooting of Jazmine Barnes
Police say the seven-year-old was fatally shot on a feeder road near a Harris County Walmart. Two suspects are in custody.

01/09/19

"The senseless shooting of a seven-year-old African American girl in Harris County last Sunday has made national headlines. Here’s everything we know about the shooting of Jazmine Barnes...."

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/everything-we-know-about-the-murder-of-jazmine-barnes/

Jazmine-Barnes-photo.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So why aren’t there rallies against gang violence being organized by the “leaders” that were being held when they were on the white guy witch hunt. Guess it’s different? IDK

I’m still trying to figure out how such a detailed description and sketch of the white male was obtained while being shot at in the dark.

So why aren’t there rallies against gang violence being organized by the “leaders” that were being held when they were on the white guy witch hunt. Guess it’s different? IDK

I’m still trying to figure out how such a detailed description and sketch of the white male was obtained while being shot at in the dark.

I keep thinking about the movie Buttercream Gang and wishing that young people had something to gather a gang around that was positive - mowing the elderly neighbors lawn, cleaning up a park, building a Habit for Humanity house.

I agree that no matter the color, violence like this is never good and that energy needs to be put to good use in another direction.

There were arrests and capital charges. That may be why it has gone a little quiet. That's actually good news, right? There will be more to discuss as the wheels of justice continue to turn. In the meantime, let's never forget little Jazmine in the midst of all the pain and outrage.

Defense lawyers question police tactics in Jazmine Barnes shooting case

Defense lawyers question police tactics in Jazmine Barnes shooting case

Nunnery said three police officers, members of Houston's Gang Violence Task Force, questioned his client on January 10. That is three days after Black appeared in court and Nunnery was granted a motion to keep law enforcement from talking to Black.

Eric Black, suspect in Jazmine Barnes shooting death, had rights violated, attorney says

Eric Black, suspect in Jazmine Barnes shooting death, had rights violated, attorney says

The hearing was requested after the attorney claimed the gang task force interviewed Black, 20, without his lawyer's consent, which violates his constitutional rights.

"Right now, what is critical is I'm trying to discover who those officers were, who recorded the interview. I don't know any of that information as of now," defense attorney Alvin Nunnery.

Wow. If this is true....

He brutally murders a child, and they reduce his bond and let him go? I doubt they'll see him again. What happened to no bond for 1st degree murder? He has nothing to lose and everything to gain by running. Poor little Jazmine and I bet her family is horrified. They know the killer is out on the streets.

The shooter is still in custody, correct?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shevet
Back