GUILTY TX - Jazmine Barnes, 7, shot/killed in drive-by shooting, Houston, Dec 2018 *ARREST*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How did the actual shooter miss hitting the red truck if it was on the passenger side, driver’s side and in front of the car Jazmine was in? Especially since witnesses say the shots were fired from the truck in front of them? LE didn’t do ballistic tests to confirm the direction of the shoots before releasing the info to the public? Still trying to sort this one out....

I think the other daughter focused on the guy in the red truck because of his changing his position by first being on the passenger side of their car and then the drivers side.
She also said they made eye contact.
Maybe he was the only person in her mind that could be the shooter.
She may have felt compelled to give a description and truly did think he was the guilty party.
IMO

More details on the shooting. I don’t know what to think.

Suspect in Jazmine Barnes' murder targeted wrong vehicle, according to info read in court

Suspect in Jazmine Barnes' murder shot at wrong vehicle, according to info read in court

(Via KHOU 11)

Homicide investigators spoke with Black later that day and he allegedly admitted to being involved with Barnes' murder. Black told investigators he was driving a dark-colored Kia, that he rented, during the shooting. He allegedly told investigators that his passenger spotted Barnes' family vehicle and started shooting towards them .

I haven't read all the posts and I'll admit I haven't watched the news conference. Having said that, I did read that someone informed the police of 2 sets of initials that were involved in the shooting. It was said that the police used social media to find these people. Now if I were trying to locate someone by just their initials, where would I start? Would I go to the mother's social media account first, then her friends? Go to her children's father's accounts? Go to family's facebook accounts? I mean you have to start somewhere and somehow they found these two people......

the article that pointed out the difference in race is still up on CNN's website. there is no media conspiracy here...

That remains to be seen (lets see how long the initial CNN story remains up). This appears to be the totality of CNN reporting:

- CNN puts out an initial story emphasizing several times that the suspect was a white male and then directly speculating that the attack could well be racially motivated (pretty inflammatory if you ask me)

The arrests don't match the description of the suspect or CNN's broadcasted "racist"motive speculation

- CNN then puts out two stories, the latest one omitting the race of the arrested suspect and direct references to the discrepancy regarding the race of the arrested suspect and previous descriptions of tthe shooter. The story further implies that the police are the source of an in accuracies.

Maybe no conspiracy. Perhaps just bad reporting.....

Last edited:
Washington says she believes race played a role. The white pickup driver could clearly see "a black mother with four beautiful children, girls, in this car," she said.
https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/01/05/us/texas-drive-by-shooting-moment-by-moment/index.html

Washington said she believed the attack was a hate crime,
LaPorsha Washington, mother of Jazmine Barnes, calls for shooter to turn himself in

Oh no..no no!!!

This saddens me greatly. I had never read before now where she had already said this. Somehow I missed this until now.

Now I dont know what to think or why she would put this man's life in jeopardy if she knew all along it was false.

Why in the world would any mother of a murdered child want the wrong person to be hunted down for killing their beautiful little child?

I wish I hadn't even read it because it confuses me about so many factors concerning this case now.

Now I'm so unsure about so many things when I was so sure the suspect was exactly just as the mother and daughters had described that began the huge manhunt.

If she knew all along the suspect wasn't in a red truck nor even white then look how many man hours and cost has been exhausted looking for the wrong man???

Its also so heartbreaking for the entire community because here they were scared to death imo about a white man driving a red truck not knowing if he would strike again.

Meantime the real suspect's description wasnt even known so the citizens could be on the lookout for them.

I so wanted to believe she honestly saw the man clearly who shot into her vehicle.

I did think it rather odd that one of the witnesses in the car said they could even see his blue eyes? Now we know all of that just cant be true.

Omg..the more that comes out the more I feel like so many have been betrayed including little Jazmine herself.

I cant think of any loving mother of a murdered child who would lie about who really murdered their child. How and why could they do such a thing??? By giving the totally wrong description of the suspect didnt she realize she was protecting the very murderer of her own child????

This went from a heartbreaking case and in the end it's even sadder if possible.

Never in my wildest imagination would I have thought this would wind up like it has.

Imo

Last edited:
Shot at wrong vehicle....

Were the shooters after the red truck and Jazmines family got caught in the middle?

Were the shooters after a similar vehicle ahead in traffic? Or seen previously that morning?

Or after that specific vehicle thinking someone else was driving?

Last edited:
That remains to be seen (lets see how long the initial CNN story remains up). This appears to be the totality of CNN reporting:

- CNN puts out an initial story emphasizing several times that the suspect was a white male and then directly speculating that the attack could well be racially motivated (pretty inflammatory if you ask me)

The arrests don't match the description of the suspect or CNN's broadcasted "racist"motive speculation

- CNN then puts out two stories, the latest one omitting the race of the arrested suspect and direct references to the discrepancy regarding the race of the arrested suspect and previous descriptions of tthe shooter. The story further implies that the police are the source of an in accuracies.

Maybe no conspiracy. Perhaps just bad reporting.....

"emphasizing several times that the suspect was a white male"

of course they would, that was the suspect description given out by the police, it would be strange if they didnt include it and emphasize it. i never heard them stress the racial motivation angle, they reported that people were making that claim of course, again this is them reporting the news not making it up.

they fully reported that there was a discrepancy between the reported suspect identity and the actual suspect, then a future update didnt stress that point, hmmm i wonder why? maybe because they are aware that tons of people are already attacking this mother and even the other children in the car right now? and since there is no evidence that any of them did anything wrong maybe they are shying away from that angle of the story until more is known. sounds reasonable to me.

nothing in that article suggests that the police are responsible for any inaccuracies, that is a strange reading imo of that sentence.

I heavily disagree, and I think it's wrong to suggest that Jazmine's mother would try to turn her tragic death into something else, instead of trying to get justice. Really, if your 7-year-old is shot and killed, the first thing on your mind isn't 'I'm going to give a false description to turn it into a race issue'! She herself, if I recall correctly, has never mentioned it being a potential race issue. The media has, individuals in the general public have, but I don't think Jazmine's mother has mentioned that? If she were trying to turn it into a race issue, she would have. I believe she was genuinely trying to get justice for her little girl. I agree with posters who suggest that the family saw the man in the red truck and were mistaken, believing the shots to come from there. It's entirely possible that the truck did pull up on the passenger side, then realised he needed to be on the other side for whatever reason, and moved. This slightly odd behaviour might have stuck in the minds of the family, and when the shots started, they believed the truck to be the source. There hasn't been a mention of another car at the scene, but is it possible the perp wasn't in a car, and they didn't spot him on the street?

I might turn out to be totally wrong. But I think it's terrible to suggest that the family who have just lost their young daughter - in an attack the police still think the victims to be innocent in, as a possible mistaken identity - should pay money to a guy who at best has been a bit anxious about getting arrested. At this point, the family are still very much victims of a terrible crime.
Very well put @MarziPanda ! Thank you for this post and continuing to have empathy for the victims.

from the highlighted article on the front page of CNN right now (and when you click on it the first thing you see is a picture of the suspect);

"Before the arrest, police had released a sketch of the suspect compiled from descriptions from Jazmine's mother and three sisters. Authorities said the sketch depicted a white man in his 40s.
But Black, the man facing a charge of capital murder, is 20 years old and black."

Jazmine Barnes shooting: Police arrest a suspect in a possible case of mistaken identity. - CNN

nothing in that article suggests that the police are responsible for any inaccuracies, that is a strange reading imo of that sentence.
Really, the article states that (paraphrase) "Police described the sketch as showing a white male".

I doubt the police pulled either the sketch or the "white male" description out of thin air. Rather, the sketch and who it depicted were obtained from eyewitness accounts.

In short, CNN's article implies that the police said the shooter was a white make. This is not accurate.

maybe because they are aware that tons of people are already attacking this mother and even the other children in the car right now?
If CNN cared about people being attacked, they would not have broadcast speculation that the murder of seven year old child was racially motivated.
"i never heard them stress the racial motivation angle, they reported that people were making that claim of course, again this is them reporting the news not making it up.
And responsible journalism does not report all unsupported speculation, especially when it is inflammatory and could lead to violence.

The fact that the speculation is apparently false in this case adds to the need for CNN to show restraint.

It would be no different if a conservative spun new source cited sources speculating that a white murder victim was targeted on account of her race.

Last edited:
REMINDER: WS is victim friendly.

This family are victims who have lost their beloved child and sister. Do not make accusations or negative statements indicating their possible responsibility for this crime or for any dishonesty on their part. Be patient and hopefully there will be a clear explanation in time.

I so wanted to believe she honestly saw the man clearly who shot into her vehicle. This went from a heartbreaking case and in the end it's even sadder if possible.
I agree. As disturbing it is that an innocent 7yo old is murdered the suspect misidentification and resulting rushes to judgment of racism and hate crimism take it to another level. I don't know if it has been mentioned on this thread but the family had engaged civil rights attorney Lee Merritt. “That’s why I was brought on,” he said in a phone interview with The Washington Post on Wednesday. “We want to emphasize the racial nature of the attack and that hate-crime charges are appropriate.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...as-racially-motivated/?utm_term=.5d8c53184073

I am glad the Sheriff maintained the view of random and/or unprovoked but open to all motives. I also glad the suspects were caught as quickly as they were and simmering racial tensions capped.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mjinmidwest
Back