TX - Joshua Brown, 27, (witness in Amber Guyger trial), shot and killed, Dallas, 4 Oct 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe it's a definite thing. There's lots of videos out there showing police violence. Inside and outside of jail. They can pretty much just say they were scared and that's the end of it. That's what the national uproar has been about for the last decade.
Books have written about it. A book was written about it even where I live.
There's no profession without criminals. None.
Police violence is in the heat of the moment and we are all aware it happens. I have never heard of it being a thing that people are retaliated against for testimony in court.
ETA: So many people are acting like the police are conducting Mafia style hits against people who testify. As if it's a matter of course. That's not realistic to me.

Last edited:
Difficult to tell what MSN articles are citing JB as the "complainant" without a link to these articles.

This would be highly unusual reference for JB as a witness in AG's trial, and/or a murder victim.

A complainant is a plaintiff in a lawsuit, and/or the party who makes the complaint in a legal action or proceeding. To my knowledge -- he filed no suit against anybody here.

MOO

Botham Jean's Neighbor Joshua Brown Killed in Dallas: Attorney | Law & Crime

On Friday, October 4, 2019, at approximately 10:37 p.m., Dallas patrol officers responded to a shooting call at the ATERA apartments located at 4606 Cedar Spring Road. Upon arrival, officers were flagged down by several witnesses directing them to the complainant’s location. The complainant was found lying on the ground in the apartment parking lot with multiple gunshot wounds. Dallas Fire-Rescue responded and transported the complainant to Parkland Memorial Hospital, where he died from his injuries.
Several witnesses heard several gunshots and observed a silver four-door sedan leaving the parking lot at a high rate of speed. There is no additional information on the suspect(s) at this time.
The complainant did not have any ID cards on him therefore, next of kin notification will be pending the ME examination and positive identification. It is important to note that there were no additional victims regarding this shooting call. The two victims I reported earlier that showed up at Parkland Hospital was not related to this shooting. This is an ongoing investigation, and no one is in custody.

I admit that I thought ... why not just call JB a 'victim' ?

That Brown was shot in the mouth makes it more difficult to believe his murder wasn't related to Guyger's trial.

I live in a high crime city with a very high murder rate. I've never heard of any victim being shot in the mouth at close range. Ever.
Well there will hopefully be a thorough investigation.
It's not like this will just go away.

It's either related to the murder he witness before, or the murder of BJ.
Doesn't sound like a random robbery gone wrong.

Was his wallet stolen in a robbery, perhaps? I very seriously doubt anyone in DPD would relatiate for Amber Guyger. They are no doubt glad she is gone IMO.
LBM

Good post !
Didn't think about this from your viewpoint.

What police dept. would WANT a f.@ k. up working for them ?
Someone (A.G.) who made them look poorly trained, incompetent, and too stupid to tell that an apartment's furnishings are different from their own ?

Walking into an apt. by mistake can be understood , as others in that building had done the same -- but not gunning down a man who is non-threatening and eating ice cream.
So what if she was sexting ?
She had to have looked up from her phone and at the room long enough to realize it wasn't her own !
What does that do for the DPD's reputation ?

And if this murder of JB has nothing to do with the police, AG's ineptness brought this scrutiny upon them ; they have her idiocy to thank !
Imo.
Rant over.

Last edited:
Dallas city leaders confident of 'thorough' investigation into Joshua Brown's murder
DALLAS - Following the death of Joshua Brown, who testified in the Amber Guyger murder trial, his murder has caught national attention.

Presidential candidates are among those calling for a transparent investigation into his death, but Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson and Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins are confident of a thorough investigation in this case.

Initially, police were not releasing the identity of the victim killed in Friday night’s shooting in the parking lot of Atera Apartments, but confirmed on Sunday that 28-year-old Joshua Xavier Brown was killed after being shot multiple times in the lower body.

More at link . . .

https://www.fox4news.com/news/dallas-city-leaders-confident-of-thorough-investigation-into-joshua-browns-murder

I believe I just answered my own question. JB witnessed a murder -- while also shot.

Man arrested in fatal shooting outside Dallas strip club after Thanksgiving

Dec 13, 2018

KQYTY5MIG37T4RUD6NKUFWJNX4.jpg

Kendall Deshonn Morris was booked Wednesday on a murder charge in the death of Nicholas Shaq'uan Diggs outside Dallas Cabaret.

Diggs, 25, was found dead in the street around 4:45 a.m. Nov. 23 in the 2400 block of Walnut Ridge Street. A second victim, 28-year-old Joshua Brown, was wounded in the shooting. bbm

ETA:
KM allegedly murdered victim and shot JB on 11/23/18 but not arrested until 12/13/18. Seems to me it took a couple weeks to apprehend the shooter, and good reason for JB to be fearful (not the narrative activists and Merritt are pushing). Shooter is also currently out on bond - hope he's being investigated.
MOO

It appears there was a 2nd unnamed shooter in the Nov incident where JB was shot -- and who may still be at large:

Dec 13, 2018

Kendall Deshonn Morris was booked Wednesday on a murder charge in the death of Nicholas Shaq'uan Diggs outside Dallas Cabaret.

Diggs, 25, was found dead in the street around 4:45 a.m. Nov. 23 in the 2400 block of Walnut Ridge Street. A second victim, 28-year-old Joshua Brown, was wounded in the shooting.

Morris and another man are accused in the fatal shooting. The second suspect has not been arrested. bbm

[...]

Court records show Diggs, Morris and the second suspect were celebrating a birthday and had gone to several other clubs before stopping at Dallas Cabaret.

While at one of the clubs, the group ran into Brown, who also went to the strip club on Walnut Ridge.

The second suspect waited for Brown outside the club to fight him. The men fought in the middle of the street. Afterward, Brown and his friends tried to leave, according to an arrest warrant affidavit.

That's when Morris reached into a Chevrolet Avalanche, pulled out a gun and handed the weapon to the other suspect, witnesses told police, the warrant says.

The second suspect started shooting, striking Brown and Diggs. Brown was hit in the foot.

A man working security at the club told police that he tried to stop the second suspect, but the man fled.

The witness told investigators he heard the second suspect say, "The murder rate about to go up in this [expletive]," before walking into the club, the warrant says.

Man arrested in fatal shooting outside Dallas strip club after Thanksgiving

Last edited:
LBM

Good post !

Someone who made them look poorly trained, incompetent, and too stupid to tell that an apartment's furnishings are different from their own ?

Walking into an apt. by mistake can be understood , as others in that building had done the same -- but not gunning down a man who is non-threatening and eating ice cream.
She had to have looked up from her phone and at the room long enough to realize it wasn't her own !

And if this murder of JB has nothing to do with the police, AG's ineptness brought this upon them ; they have her idiocy to thank !
Imo.

Cops don't throw each other under the bus, ever. The "thin blue line" and Brotherhood are not just words.

Cops don't throw each other under the bus, ever. The "thin blue line" and Brotherhood are not just words.

Just wondering here : Are you saying the DPD would retaliate for A.G ?
Even given her performance the night BJ was murdered ?
Curious.

LBM

Good post !

Someone who made them look poorly trained, incompetent, and too stupid to tell that an apartment's furnishings are different from their own ?

And if this murder of JB has nothing to do with the police, AG's ineptness brought this upon them ; they have her idiocy to thank !
Imo.
I'll post it again: Responding to BBM:
Day-by-day breakdown of the murder trial of Amber Guyger
Marc Lipscomb, a private equity attorney in Dallas who was a resident at South Side Flats, said he mistakenly parked on the wrong garage level “on a number of occasions” – the same mistake Guyger testified she made. Lipscomb also told jurors about a harrowing instance in which he wandered into someone else’s apartment. Lipscomb testified that he left his apartment unlocked one day to walk his dog. He ended up on the wrong floor and went to what he thought was his apartment. The door was unlocked, like he had left his, so he went in. He told jurors that he walked all the way into the apartment, and even though there was a woman’s purse there, he thought it might have belonged to a guest of his roommate. It wasn’t until he saw a woman sitting on a couch who “looked like a deer in the headlights,” that he realized he was in the wrong apartment. “It was an embarrassing moment,” he told jurors. On cross examination, a prosecutor pointed out that he did not feel the need to shoot the woman, and she didn’t shoot at him.
Do you think the attorney is also stupid? It seems the way things were set up in this building, tragedy was just waiting to happen. An occupant could have just as easily shot an "intruder". I have stated numerous times that I do not agree with AG actions immediately after the shooting, however, given the various testimony about the mistaken apartments, a killing seems almost inevitable at some point.

I'll post it again: Responding to BBM:
Day-by-day breakdown of the murder trial of Amber Guyger
Marc Lipscomb, a private equity attorney in Dallas who was a resident at South Side Flats, said he mistakenly parked on the wrong garage level “on a number of occasions” – the same mistake Guyger testified she made. Lipscomb also told jurors about a harrowing instance in which he wandered into someone else’s apartment. Lipscomb testified that he left his apartment unlocked one day to walk his dog. He ended up on the wrong floor and went to what he thought was his apartment. The door was unlocked, like he had left his, so he went in. He told jurors that he walked all the way into the apartment, and even though there was a woman’s purse there, he thought it might have belonged to a guest of his roommate. It wasn’t until he saw a woman sitting on a couch who “looked like a deer in the headlights,” that he realized he was in the wrong apartment. “It was an embarrassing moment,” he told jurors. On cross examination, a prosecutor pointed out that he did not feel the need to shoot the woman, and she didn’t shoot at him.
Do you think the attorney is also stupid? It seems the way things were set up in this building, tragedy was just waiting to happen. An occupant could have just as easily shot an "intruder". I have stated numerous times that I do not agree with AG actions immediately after the shooting, however, given the various testimony about the mistaken apartments, a killing seems almost inevitable at some point.
BBM
No, I don't think the atty. is stupid.
But AG should have recognized that it wasn't her furniture, for starters.
Maybe the most idiotic thing was that she felt the need to murder someone.
If true that he was eating something, she should've know it wasn't a burglar. Imo.

Am going to read back any posts I've missed.
So thanks for pointing this out.

I should have bolded that I pointed out others in that same building walked into someone else's apt. by mistake.
But to open fire on that person before letting them explain ?
Just careless and a sad end to Botham's life.

Last edited:
In an interview with TODAY, a lawyer who represented Jean's familyand is now working with Brown’s relatives, said Sunday that Brown’s role in the trial caused him to fear “for his life.”

The lawyer, S. Lee Merritt, attributed that fear, in part, to a shooting that occurred in recent months during a birthday party at a Dallas club that Brown attended. Brown was shot in the foot, Merritt said, and a friend of his was killed.

It wasn’t clear what caused the incident, but Merritt said Brown knew the shooter and worried the person “might come back to try and finish the job.”

Brown’s relatives told Merritt that he worried about how the trial’s publicity could leave him more exposed to "people who wished him harm," and how he could be viewed as a “snitch” for cooperating with law enforcement in Guyger’s prosecution.

Brown heard such pushback in the days after the trial, Merritt said.
Why Joshua Brown’s testimony was key in Amber Guyger’s murder trial

I have stated numerous times that I do not agree with AG actions immediately after the shooting, however, given the various testimony about the mistaken apartments, a killing seems almost inevitable at some point.
Snipped for brevity
Bolding mine

Have to disagree with that (hopefully never 'inevitable' ! :( ) but if that particular building was a hot spot for criminal activity; then maybe you do have a point.

As well it seems like AG was being treated as if she was also a victim.
She is not a victim; imo.

As far as Joshua, I'm guessing Occams' Razor will apply.
It was revenge or at least connected to the past shooting in which he was wounded.

BBM
No, I don't think the atty. is stupid.
But AG should have recognized that it wasn't her furniture, for starters.
Maybe the most idiotic thing was that she felt the need to murder someone.
If true that he was eating something, she should've know it wasn't a burglar. Imo.

Am going to read back any posts I've missed.
So thanks for pointing this out.
And why were her keys still in BJ's door ? They shouldn't have fit.
But that belongs in the AG thread, so I can bring it over there.
Man Returns Home To Find Naked Stranger Drinking Juice On His Couch
Victim finds stranger cooking, eating inside Safety Harbor home, deputies say
Annapolis Resident Comes Home To Finds Stranger Lying On Couch
Many instances of strangers being in someone else's home. As for the keys, you know, sometimes they go in fairly well but not the right fit. Some testimony said the doors always swing shut, others said that was not always the case.

In an interview with TODAY, a lawyer who represented Jean's familyand is now working with Brown’s relatives, said Sunday that Brown’s role in the trial caused him to fear “for his life.”

The lawyer, S. Lee Merritt, attributed that fear, in part, to a shooting that occurred in recent months during a birthday party at a Dallas club that Brown attended. Brown was shot in the foot, Merritt said, and a friend of his was killed.

It wasn’t clear what caused the incident, but Merritt said Brown knew the shooter and worried the person “might come back to try and finish the job.”

Brown’s relatives told Merritt that he worried about how the trial’s publicity could leave him more exposed to "people who wished him harm," and how he could be viewed as a “snitch” for cooperating with law enforcement in Guyger’s prosecution.

Brown heard such pushback in the days after the trial, Merritt said.
Why Joshua Brown’s testimony was key in Amber Guyger’s murder trial
Taking everything Merritt has to say with a huge grain of salt.
ETA: Seems like the fear was about the shooting incident at the club.

Regardless, he already testified, and if there is a re-trial, his testimony will still be allowed via hearsay exception. So it would make no sense to kill him to prevent him from testifying at a retrial.
It's just a guess on my part (as it is on everyone's part at this point). But I think it was retaliation for his testimony. But, yes, I'm guessing. If so, who retaliated? Some think the police and others think someone else and it relates to the Nov incident, etc. I guess we'll wait and see who is right.
But I do wonder if we will ever find out.
Or
its all just a strange coincidence.
I'm not thinking it was for future testimony. She might just get 5 years, anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonfire