GUILTY TX - Julian Soliz, 5, beaten to death, Austin, 10 April 2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't know if it's the "reporting" that's messed up, or what reporters are being told that's confusing.

I've read that the dad lived with the g/f (who is now named in the media), but in this news vid & where I've read elsewhere he "left" Julian (and his other child) with the g/f -- for a week! I've also read all day today that the dad hadn't talked w/ g/f since Julian's body was found but in a news vid he says he talked to her last nite (Sunday).

Here's the link to that news vid that also mentions the apartment on Shoreline is the g/f's apt.

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/crime/boy's-death-investigated-as-homicide

And to further confuse matters, an article here - http://weareaustin.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=58465 - says:

Sheriff's now say he was in the care of his father's girlfriend at the time, because his father, Leonard Soliz, had already left for the barbershop he worked at.

Ummmm - it's about 18 miles from Shoreline Estates apartments to the salon in east Austin -- not exactly an out of town job!...on a Saturday morning it would take about 25 minutes to get there, and at least double that travel time on a weekday during morning rush hour (Austin traffic sux!!)...at any rate, I haven't found any other local news reporting that the dad left Saturday a.m. & *if* that's true, why leave so early in the a.m. -- how long would it take to get the salon ready to open by 10a.m.??

So anyway, it's :confused: - dad who had custody left 2 of his kids w/ a baby-mama for a week? Or not? Not to mention he said he thinks LE believe he & g/f are suspects because they were the only ones "care-taking" Julian.

(And the g/f is named here now http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/crime/boy's-death-investigated-as-homicide )

Just don't like the inconsistencies - whether it's the media reporting or the dad causing it & at this point I can't figure it out. :banghead:

Poor little Julian - his mom hadn't seen him in a month & his dad hadn't seen him for a week (maybe). :(

I am sick of people saying how much they 'love' their child but then turn around and dump them off with any available sitter....so many kids these days are just shunted around. So he left the g/f alone for a week with what-a 4 year old, a 5 year old and a 7 month old??? Sounds like she was over-loaded and he not being there to help out...who knows? Or maybe she had someone over (male friend?) and the 5 year old was going to 'tell daddy'......

This is confusing. Are either of them suspects?

ARRGHHH. I swear, I log on, another beautiful child missing and dumped like freaking trash. I am so so so so sick of this. Rest in peace sweet little boy. Lead the way to the one or ones who did the to you. It's a toss up at this point, but I can bet I've looked at the picture of the one responsible for your death today in the photo gallery. Enie meany, miney mo.....so so sick of this. Will the cough ahem caregiver responsible for his death please stand up??? If I'm wrong, I'll gladly eat that crow sandwich for dinner, supper or even breakfast.

Snip from one of Starry Night's links (above) --the 'caregiver/girlfriend' supposedly lives w/ the dad & 2 of Julian's siblings....so yeah, where was dad & did the g/f leave the 2 younger kids *alone* for almost 2 hours while she searched for Julian?

Julian went missing from The Estates at Shoreline apartment complex where he lived with his father and father's girlfriend, along with his two younger siblings, a few hours earlier.

Maybe dad works the graveyard shift???

This seems to clarify the ages of the other children in the home:

Soliz has two other children, a 6-month-old boy with Turner and a 3 -year-old girl, he said. Salazar also has two other children, a 2-year-old son and a 3-year-old daughter.

Since Saturday, CPS has taken custody of two children that lived in the home with Soliz and Turner: the couple's son and Turner's 5-year-old daughter from a previous relationship, Van Deusen said.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/family-mourns-the-loss-of-5-year-old-557226.html?page=2

This seems to clarify the ages of the other children in the home:

Soliz has two other children, a 6-month-old boy with Turner and a 3 -year-old girl, he said. Salazar also has two other children, a 2-year-old son and a 3-year-old daughter.

Since Saturday, CPS has taken custody of two children that lived in the home with Soliz and Turner: the couple's son and Turner's 5-year-old daughter from a previous relationship, Van Deusen said.

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/family-mourns-the-loss-of-5-year-old-557226.html?page=2

Six children 5 and under between this lot. Nice.

WHY will the father not state where on earth he's been all week if he lives at that apartment and works just across town?? Even with our crappy traffic, it's not a bad commute from North to East Austin. I've commuted much farther distances/worse routes in this town daily. Sorry to sound like a broken record...but that missing piece is annoying me.

The chidren, the elderly, the poor, and the sick --- these are the marginalized in our society -- neglected, ignored and abused -- they don't have the power, strength or voice to fight for themselves, and not enough people care -- they are the very ones for whom we must stand in the gap

I would be interested to know how long this poor child has been dead. The fact that police are asking the public for info about the last few weeks of the child's life indicates that his condition at the time of death may have shown evidence of older injuries.

I wonder if Julian might have died from injuries several days old...a slow bleed, perhaps? Dad said something about internal bleeding but no external evidence of trauma...something like that.

So, did bad things happen while Dad was away for a week?...Dad works right there in town...how "away" was he? Why was he "away"?

<snipped>
My parents' best friends had 6 kids... one every year. Can't imagine having 6 children from newborn to 6. I'd pull my hair out. We all grew up together. Great family.

WHY will the father not state where on earth he's been all week if he lives at that apartment and works just across town?? Even with our crappy traffic, it's not a bad commute from North to East Austin. I've commuted much farther distances/worse routes in this town daily. Sorry to sound like a broken record...but that missing piece is annoying me.

Hard to say; from news interviews I've watched, he'd bring Julian to work with him and it sounds as if that was pretty common for him to do so.

<snip>

Julian's family told us his badly bruised body was found where a memorial now stands at the corner of Wells Port Drive and Wells Port Cove.

His relatives held a benefit on Monday in East Austin to raise money for the little boy's funeral but said he won't rest in peace until this case is closed.

“We didn't have insurance for Julian so it’s going to all go to services we need for him,” said Julian’s Aunt, Rachel Servantes about the benefit.

The music, donations and barbecue on Montopolis Drive could not conceal a desperate mother and father.

“I still can't believe it,” said Julian’s Father, Leonard Soliz as he dropped his head at the benefit. “We have to find answers. Someone knows something.”

His son's mysterious death started as a missing person's report.

Julian was staying with his father's girlfriend and somehow, left her apartment on the third floor Saturday morning.

“She just woke up and he wasn't there,” said Soliz. “There's nothing else.”

“The caretaker knows more than what she's telling us,” said Julian’s grandmother, Angie Salazar about the father’s girlfriend. “And right now nobody can get in touch with her.”

Detectives said they did interview the father's girlfriend and that she's cooperating.

more here

http://weareaustin.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=58465

I don't get it... why would you not be surprised? Has he been named a suspect in Julian's death? I can't find many news stories on this case (which is surprising considering the circumstances). The one I saw of his grandfather being interviewed just broke my heart :(

Wait, now his body was covered in bruises? I thought they'd earlier found no external evidence of trauma. Could have been struck by a car, but I really can't envision a 5 year old sneaking out of the house in the pitch dark at 5:30am and walking a mile from his or her home. Is it possible he had a bad dream and went off in a vain search for Daddy and got hit? My 5 year old sometimes wakes up for whatever reasons and climbs into my bed and goes back to sleep, and it always seems to be those early morning hours (6am, for her). That's why I'm thinking it's plausible, but since I never leave her overnight I don't know whether she'd wander off trying to find me.

Is there a friend of dad's that lives nearby, where he was staying this week? It does appear he and the GF were in some sort of spat, since they haven't spoken for a week and still haven't following Julian's death.

That street looks like several around Austin, where it's residential but straight and wide without much for stop lights, so cars speed through. Are any of you more familiar with it? His body was found at an intersection - he could have been trying to cross (without benefit of a stoplight, in the dark). It would be a really dumb place to dump a body, so I'm thinking a hit-and-run by a car cold be a possibility.

Wait, now his body was covered in bruises? I thought they'd earlier found no external evidence of trauma. Could have been struck by a car, but I really can't envision a 5 year old sneaking out of the house in the pitch dark at 5:30am and walking a mile from his or her home. Is it possible he had a bad dream and went off in a vain search for Daddy and got hit? My 5 year old sometimes wakes up for whatever reasons and climbs into my bed and goes back to sleep, and it always seems to be those early morning hours (6am, for her). That's why I'm thinking it's plausible, but since I never leave her overnight I don't know whether she'd wander off trying to find me.

Is there a friend of dad's that lives nearby, where he was staying this week? It does appear he and the GF were in some sort of spat, since they haven't spoken for a week and still haven't following Julian's death.

That street looks like several around Austin, where it's residential but straight and wide without much for stop lights, so cars speed through. Are any of you more familiar with it? His body was found at an intersection - he could have been trying to cross (without benefit of a stoplight, in the dark). It would be a really dumb place to dump a body, so I'm thinking a hit-and-run by a car cold be a possibility.

BBM.

I haven't seen that LE or the ME have said that, just the father.

As far as wandering off, a friend has an autistic child who did that when he was 3-4 years old. She had to have alarms placed to wake her if he tried to leave the house. He wasn't slow, just for some reason could not understand he wasn't to leave the house by himself.

Guys - No BASHING of dad until LE gives us some word as to his possible involvement. For now, he is the victim's father and deserves some compassion and respect. That could change.

My understanding right now is that dad was NOT there at the time and had MAYBE been absent for a week.

If that has changed, provide me with a link and this can be reconsidered.

This will be a difficult case to sleuth if LE is not forthcoming with info. The situation definitely makes it look like someone close to this baby is the perp - BUT we need to wait for that info, okay?

Thanks,

Salem

~Respectfully snipped ~
BBM.

I haven't seen that LE or the ME have said that, just the father.

I saw the article that Reen is talking about that said the child had no visible trauma to the body. Then a couple articles later, is was said that the body was covered in bruises. I had the very same thoughts Reen did - WTH??

Salem

ETA: This link talks about badly bruised body: http://weareaustin.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=58465

ETA: This is the link for "no visible signs of trauma: http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/crime/boy's-death-investigated-as-homicide

~snip~ The autopsy on the young boy is not complete, but family members said the boy had internal bleeding with no visible signs of trauma to his body. ~end snip~

No official suspect in boy's killing, sheriff's office says
Investigators asking for tips in investigation of 5-year-old Julian Soliz.

By Claudia Grisales
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Published: 8:56 p.m. Tuesday, April 13, 2010

The Travis County sheriff's office is continuing to follow leads in the homicide investigation of 5-year-old Julian Salazar Soliz and says there are no named suspects in the case.

It could be weeks before an official autopsy report is released, a sheriff's spokesman said Tuesday. Meanwhile, investigators are asking for anyone with information about the boy to contact police.

"It's not unusual in these types of cases to not have an official suspect until you have ruled out all the possibilities and come to a scenario that you think happened and can prove it," spokesman Roger Wade said. "We want to make sure justice is done and we don't arrest the wrong person."
But Soliz acknowledged that he is facing increasing scrutiny because of media reports about his criminal background, which includes assault and burglary charges.
On Oct. 24, 2006, Soliz was accused of grabbing Turner "around the neck with his hands" and "shoving (her) against the wall with his hand and by choking (her) with his hand," according to court documents. Soliz pleaded no contest to the charge of assault with bodily injury to a family member in the Williamson County case and was ordered to serve 10 days.

In March 2009, Soliz and his brother were accused of burglarizing the home of a relative in Manor, according to an arrest affidavit. According to the affidavit, Soliz forced his way into the home while several small children were present, grabbed the relative in a headlock and choked him. As part of a plea bargain, Soliz pleaded guilty to a lesser charge and was placed on community supervision until 2011. Soliz has to stay away from the relative's home and have "no gang affiliation," court documents said.

Soliz said of that case: "That's people saying stuff about me that's not true."

Last month, Soliz was pulled over for speeding and police discovered that he was driving without insurance and had a prohibited weapon — grip-designed knuckles — in the car, according to an arrest affidavit filed after the March 9 incident.

On March 18, the Travis County district attorney said that Soliz had violated the terms of the 2009 plea agreement and that in addition to the traffic and weapon citations, he had tested positive for marijuana late last year and for cocaine March 5.

more here

http://www.statesman.com/news/local/no-official-suspect-in-boys-killing-sheriffs-office-561397.html

Piecing together Julian's final days
Timeline for death of child still unclear

Updated: Tuesday, 13 Apr 2010, 6:12 PM CDT
Published : Tuesday, 13 Apr 2010, 4:53 PM CDT

* Shannon Wolfson
* Matt Flener

AUSTIN (KXAN) - The last time any of Julian Salazar Soliz's friends in his kindergarten class at Wells Branch Elementary saw him was last Wednesday. On Monday, two schools would have to explain why Julian was gone.

Tracing his last days, it appears Soliz's last day at Wells Branch Elementary was Wednesday. He was a recent transfer, from Austin's Perez Elementary, where other members of his family attended.

Detectives investigation Soliz's death have yet to reilease his cause of death, saying they are waiting on toxicology tests which could take six to eight weeks.

"We are asking anyone who has seen Julian in the last two weeks to give us a call," said Travis County Sheriff's Department Spokesman Roger Wade.
Detectives said they have no suspects or persons of interest at this point. They do have a preliminary cause of death but are not releasing that just yet. It could be six to eight weeks before the official autopsy is complete.

more here

http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/crime/piecing-together-julian's-final-days

ETA: above link now bad -- story still here in mobile version

http://kxan.m0bl.net/w/main/story/10449277/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members