TX TX - Julie Moseley, 9, Mary Trlica, 17, Lisa Wilson, 14, Fort Worth, 23 Dec 1974 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
On Friday, January 5, 1968 - I was 13; misbehaving. It's where we all went to misbehave. I was supposed to be at The Wedgewood Theatre watching "The Bible" for the 6th time - it showed for 10 weeks. (it's a very long movie) Instead, as soon as my daddy dropped us off, my girlfriend and I went to Pizza Inn on the bowling alley parking lot, met 4 cute boys from Burleson, and left with them in their car. They planned to go to the lake, build a bonfire, and throw the rest of their fire-crackers from New Year's Eve into it. The car was parked on a slight incline. The headlights were on so they could see to build the fire. It must have slipped out of gear, because it started to roll towards us. Rolled right over the fire and into the lake. Drifted about 10 ft out, then nosed down. The lights were still on when it disappeared. We had to walk back to civilization - fast! When we got to that payphone, one of the boys asked if we needed to call anybody. No - we needed to keep walking (before my dad showed up.) We left them there. In 1977 I bought a house on Walraven Circle. That pay phone was still there in that shopping center. I think he walked back from the lake and called his house from there. I think he called his MIL from there. He was checking to see if Rachel or Debbie was there(?) He told her he was going to close the shop (early) and go straight to the bowling alley since they weren't home. She believed him. It was probably 4:00 to 4:30. Then he walked to the bowling alley, another 20 minutes. It's a long walk from that park, but I've done it, after dark, in January. It's the 1st of 4 entrances. It's a place he knew. The theater by the way, was across the parking lot from the bowling alley. Tommy was reached by phone around 8:00pm at the bowling alley. He arrived at the Seminary South parking lot, driven by Debra around 11pm. (it's only 15 minutes from his house) I believe he used that pay phone. There was nothing between the turn-off to the lake and that phone but an asphalt road.
Thanks, FW_Cat! We're the same age. Based on the map (your house), you were living this mess (loss of the girls, turmoil, fear); and, living in the Mid-cities, I was living the repercussions (fear, loss of freedom). Your night at the lake certainly gave you (and now, us) a basis of how EASILY a car could disappear in an instant into the lake, and how it IS possible to walk back to town in a timely manner. Thank you for sharing.
You know, Debra may not even have known he was without a car at the bowling alley when she fetched him that evening...(My wife is missing?!?!? Boo hoo! Come get me! I'm too upset to drive!).
I know the family thought for a while Debra was involved (I don't) but was Debra or any other family members ever suspicious of TT? As you said, Mrs Arnold alibied him due to phone calls, but as things came to light, did that change?

The Army Corps of Engineered is responsible for safety in reservoir lakes they build. Specifically, they must mark with a bouy, or remove dangerous underwater obstacles to a certain depth. During the drought of the 80's, lake levels were so low you could walk from shore to shore in places. I expect cars were removed, but I don't know without their records to review. The part of the lake I'm referring to is close to the dam, in the channel, the deepest part of the lake. So, I hope they are still there. However, there was a major waterworks/ structural tower built, close to the dam that might have resulted in a disturbance to the bottom of the lake and destroyed evidence. But, I think a car was sent off the bluff from a picnic area 300 yds south of it. All I can tell you is that neither the police, nor the army knew they were down there until they were shown the sonar images. All 3 are crime scenes by definition. They are not there by accident. 40-60 ft deep. Not a particularly challenging dive, but needs a forensic team and LE supervision to protect chain of custody. I raced sailboats on Grapevine Lake for many years. There is bouy chained to a rock-crusher (huge piece of equipment) that was marooned on the bottom of that lake because it filled up before the corps could get it out. Lake Arlington has so much junk on the bottom, swimming isn't allowed. It filled up way too fast. But this one place is where he would have gone. There is no use to search any other body of water.
I guess your friend knows the ins and outs of title transfer. Lots of people do. Bet he wouldn't take a vehicle as payment that he believed was stolen, or used in connection with a homicide.
Yes, I know this about Grapevine Lake. Used to waterski there a lot. Lore is a whole street of houses too, but doubt that.
Did you have the sonar done? When?

I was married and pregnant in 1975. That was my house growing up. So, we were neighbors until 1972. Sorry that wasn't clear. My opinion is is that TT got a bowling league buddy to drop him off at his house. His phone had to have been ringing off the wall all evening. I think he needed time to pull himself together. Debra was probably "Let's go, let's go, let's go!" Two hours later... walks outside - "Where's your car?" I left it at the bowling alley, *blank* dropped me off. I can't drive right now. Let's go!"
Debra must have been so confused. Who's Julie? She knew Renee. But, she left home long before this happened (3 or 4 years.) Tommy had probably seen Renee two times - or less.
I don't want to discuss individual family members or speculate on motives. If Debbie was indiscrete in any way, I don't believe she had any idea this would be the outcome. And she's paid a high price...too high. These people are suffering, and I care about each of them. TT would know who I am. I don't want to disappear, so I have to be very careful. I told LE everything I know over 8 years ago. Getting impatient.

Equusearch did the sonar. I found the perfect diver, locally, through the fire department. They did an amazing job. July 1, 2015.

I was married and pregnant in 1975. That was my house growing up. So, we were neighbors until 1972. Sorry that wasn't clear. My opinion is is that TT got a bowling league buddy to drop him off at his house. His phone had to have been ringing off the wall all evening. I think he needed time to pull himself together. Debra was probably "Let's go, let's go, let's go!" Two hours later... walks outside - "Where's your car?" I left it at the bowling alley, *blank* dropped me off. I can't drive right now. Let's go!"
Debra must have been so confused. Who's Julie? She knew Renee. But, she left home long before this happened (3 or 4 years.) Tommy had probably seen Renee two times - or less.
I don't want to discuss individual family members or speculate on motives. If Debbie was indiscrete in any way, I don't believe she had any idea this would be the outcome. And she's paid a high price...too high. These people are suffering, and I care about each of them. TT would know who I am. I don't want to disappear, so I have to be very careful. I told LE everything I know over 8 years ago. Getting impatient.

Yes, I've followed websites, news items, and radio shows discussing family members beliefs and knew that Debra was paying a high price, and that's unfortunate. I believe that stems from her previous relationship with TT, painting her as a jealous sister, willing to do any dirty deed to get TT back. I never believed it, but it was a convenient side-track for the killer, as far as family considerations were concerned. And just torn them apart as a family.

This is what became known as the "hastily written letter". Before I comment on it; I would like this think-tank to study it carefully with respect to the following questions: Is it written by a right or left-handed person? Was it written by a young child? Was it written by someone who planned to run away? Was it dictated to someone who was forced to write it? Yes or No and why you think so. Thanks!
attachment.php

Attachments

• WSletter.jpg
    WSletter.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 262
I think it was written by someone's left hand because the spacing between lines gets larger form left-to-right as though the hand got in the way of viewing how the spacing of the line from the previous line was a few words ago. A left handed-person would be more likely to be used to dealing with that, and so it could be a right-handed person writing left-handed, as if to mask his handwriting. So my guess would be a right-handed person writing left-handed, presumably to disguise his handwriting. A perp would be more likely to disguise his handwriting, and so another guess would be it was written by a perpetrator. That it is not terrible handwriting makes me think the writer may be a somewhat ambidextrous individual (used to writing right-handed), with at least fairly good handwriting skills.

I suppose another possibility would be right-handed person writing backwards (right to left), but that doesn't feel as likely to me and there would probably be evidence of that upon close inspection.

I keep getting a feeling, though, that once I wrote something that turned out weirdly spaced like that, but I don't remember what caused it, whether I was transcribing something I couldn't look away from or whether I was in awkward position or whether something else--I just don't remember.

I think Rachel wrote it. She was left-handed. Interesting observations, thank you.

As for this "letter" being hastily written: These are all complete sentences. There are no words misspelled. The punctuation is correct. The victim and her killer knew where her car was parked at the time this was written. The family members that located the car in a crowded lot of Christmas shoppers would not see the "letter" for another 16 hours. What stranger would need to buy time with a letter he planned to mail? You don't buy time on Monday, December 23rd, by mailing a letter. The "letter" was, in fact, hand delivered to Rachel's mother Tuesday morning by her sister Debra, late Tuesday morning. Debra stated that it came in the morning mail. Rachel's mother called the police immediately. They came to her house and asked, "Where's the envelope?" It didn't have one for 2 days. Up until then it didn't need one.

As for this "letter" being hastily written: These are all complete sentences. There are no words misspelled. The punctuation is correct. The victim and her killer knew where her car was parked at the time this was written. The family members that located the car in a crowded lot of Christmas shoppers would not see the "letter" for another 16 hours. What stranger would need to buy time with a letter he planned to mail? You don't buy time on Monday, December 23rd, by mailing a letter. The "letter" was, in fact, hand delivered to Rachel's mother Tuesday morning by her sister Debra, late Tuesday morning. Debra stated that it came in the morning mail. Rachel's mother called the police immediately. They came to her house and asked, "Where's the envelope?" It didn't have one for 2 days. Up until then it didn't need one.

Thank-you FW_Cat for all of your info - recently read through thread #1 and #2 and agree the perp needed this letter, it serves no purpose for anyone else.

Looking forward to news of that dive to view the vehicles.

Thank-you FW_Cat for all of your info - recently read through thread #1 and #2 and agree the perp needed this letter, it serves no purpose for anyone else.

Looking forward to news of that dive to view the vehicles.
The vehicles were located, and there were divers involved. (July 15, 2014) Visibility is about 6" at that depth. The divers noted the GPS location, and confirmed that all 3 are 2-door cars. I had asked LE to look through the case file and collect records to identify any car, tied to the suspect, that in the following 12 months after the girls disappeared also "disappeared" (on paper.)They have not made that effort - yet. We need VIN #'s of those three unreported cars. None of the 3 LE jurisdictions that should have known they were down there did. All 3 are crime scenes. There is not a boat ramp within 100 yards.

This is what became known as the "hastily written letter". Before I comment on it; I would like this think-tank to study it carefully with respect to the following questions: Is it written by a right or left-handed person? Was it written by a young child? Was it written by someone who planned to run away? Was it dictated to someone who was forced to write it? Yes or No and why you think so. Thanks!
attachment.php
I'm ambidextrous. I write can write with both hands but mainly left-handed. It looks just like my pattern of writing. It looks like writing on a piece of paper you keep having to move, like on a dashboard or on a wall, not on a level surface.

FW_Cat, do you think someone then mailed an envelope from the mailing station at the mail parking lot to TT and Rachel's house on the 24th? What is your theory on the postmarked envelope?

Yes! I believe this was written on a vertical surface like glass. When you write with the right hand you are dragging the pen or pencil across the paper. The left hand is pushing the pen or pencil against the paper - scrubbing it. The paper is more likely to slip because the left-handed writer braces the paper with the side of the hand. Lifting the hand alond the way. Look at the end stroke of words; ending in "s", "g", "y." Those characters lack a finish to the right. They die to the left. Also, look at the "c" character. It consistently starts at the baseline from the left - scratching up to form the top of the curve. Typical left-handed paper bracing on any surface. This was written in ballpoint pen - with police commenting that it looked like the pen was running out of ink. Vertical surface. Car window. Our language is executed from the left to the right. Not a misspelled word, not punctuation error, complete sentences. She took her time, trying to figure a way out while he dictated this. She was in trouble and she knew it.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Left-Hand-Writing.jpg
    Left-Hand-Writing.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 160
The envelope and postmark are simple. The police were never confused about the letter. The confusion was introduced (c.2000) by a P.I. the family should have fired. Problem was, he worked for free. I'll explain. In short - he didn't produce an envelope for 2 days. It was not postmarked and delivered between midnight and noon on Christmas Eve. He should have "found" the letter in her underwear drawer on Christmas Eve. The envelope is one of the things that floors me when I think about it. He didn't get away this because he's smart. Dumb luck, inexperienced police. They knew.

The envelope and postmark are simple. The police were never confused about the letter. The confusion was introduced (c.2000) by a P.I. the family should have fired. Problem was, he worked for free. I'll explain. In short - he didn't produce an envelope for 2 days. It was not postmarked and delivered between midnight and noon on Christmas Eve. He should have "found" the letter in her underwear drawer on Christmas Eve. The envelope is one of the things that floors me when I think about it. He didn't get away this because he's smart. Dumb luck, inexperienced police. They knew.

I'm confused. History in this case has carried that the envelope was postmarked with the zip code of Seminary South Mall's independent zip code. Although smeared and questionable from another TX town but thought too out reaching since the car was at the mall and that was their destination. Also that the envelope was addressed to Thomas as opposed to Tommy, as Rachel called him. Are you saying, FW_Cat, that the envelope was truly blank?

attachment.php

THE ENVELOPE: Characteristics of cancelled, 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Class mail, in 1974 include:
1. Seven (7) waved lines across stamp. Except when it is replaced by a box nagging folks to “Always use Zip Code.”
2. “U.S. Postal Service, TX” and - first 3 digits of Zip Code where post originates, inscribed within a circle where the text follows below the “positive” line curve.
3. Centered: “AM” or “PM” denotes the first or last 12 REAL hours of the day the post is processed for delivery – stamp cancelled. (Not shift during which it was sorted.)
4. Horizontal orientation: dd/mm - 24 DEC – from evidence sample. Daily manual change.
5. Year followed by local U.S. Postal station, or sub-station code: 1974 3B – from evidence sample. These six (6) characters are clearly oriented and aligned above the “negative” line curve.
STAMP AND DIE PRACTICES: These “tools” were a combination of embossed metal plates – where information is not manipulated by local mail handlers, and rubber characters on a “track” manipulated by virtue of small gears. The dd/mm/ and yyyy would be rubber. Everything else, embossed metal. Note: the “4” in 1974 is not well aligned with “197.”
To summarize: The envelope was deposited in Fort Worth, TX at the Wedgewood sub-station, after midnight, on December 23, 1974. OR it was presented at the counter that morning. Thing is: if you stand in line and have your letter “hand-cancelled” they keep it. They don’t give it back to you. It is legally in possesion of the USPS. No mail was delivered on December 25[SUP]th[/SUP]. The earliest the “envelope” could have arrived is Thursday, December 26[SUP]th[/SUP]. The “letter” was presented to Francis Arnold sometime on the morning of the 24[SUP]th[/SUP] by Debra. Rachel’s mother called the police. The police came to 6[SUP]th[/SUP] Avenue to collect that evidence. They asked for the envelope and had to wait several days before it was produced (as it had not arrived?)
The envelope is addressed in pencil. “Rachel” is the return address. It’s not identical to the signature on the letter. It is a practiced facsimile. IMO.
I got married in 1972. Had a baby in 1973, another in 1975, another in 1977. I turned to my wedding album and baby books for examples of postmarks. My father-in-law retired from that sub-station, but started out downtown (1A) so, I do have some background on this subject. They are consistent in characteristics, even the ones from out of state. 3B is the Wedgewood Sub-Station. It was clear to police that the envelope produced by TT was mailed from that location to his home less than 1 mile away – not Seminary South, or Elliasville, Weatherford, Throckmorton or anywhere else.
Also, the letter was folded in a way that did not fit the envelope. Too big. Neither were a hoax – they were obstruction of justice. The police did not know what to make of this strange “evidence” and still don’t. That letter and that envelope never met each other.
If that letter were going to produce a confession – it would have long ago. It is proof that Tommy lied. It isn’t proof of what happened. It’s proof of something, but what? I have my opinion.
Do I need to post my postmark samples? I will if you aren’t convinced.

Attachments

• WSpostmark.jpg
    WSpostmark.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 214
Yes! I believe this was written on a vertical surface like glass. When you write with the right hand you are dragging the pen or pencil across the paper. The left hand is pushing the pen or pencil against the paper - scrubbing it. The paper is more likely to slip because the left-handed writer braces the paper with the side of the hand. Lifting the hand alond the way. Look at the end stroke of words; ending in "s", "g", "y." Those characters lack a finish to the right. They die to the left. Also, look at the "c" character. It consistently starts at the baseline from the left - scratching up to form the top of the curve. Typical left-handed paper bracing on any surface. This was written in ballpoint pen - with police commenting that it looked like the pen was running out of ink. Vertical surface. Car window. Our language is executed from the left to the right. Not a misspelled word, not punctuation error, complete sentences. She took her time, trying to figure a way out while he dictated this. She was in trouble and she knew it.
attachment.php

Yes, vertical. As a nurse, I write left-handed on paper records on a wall everyday and it looks just like this. You get the left-handed push even with paper taped or clipped on the wall. Also notice how the letters in the words towards the bottom get larger and taller. You are getting into "knee-bending" to try to keep your hand at your natural writing level. Your letters get exaggerated. Try it at car window level yourselves.

Here's a larger image. I cropped the physical address.
attachment.php

Attachments

• WSenvelope.jpg
    WSenvelope.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 269
Here it is:
THE ENVELOPE: Characteristics of cancelled, 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Class mail, in 1974 include:
1. Seven (7) waved lines across stamp. Except when it is replaced by a box nagging folks to “Always use Zip Code.”
2. “U.S. Postal Service, TX” and - first 3 digits of Zip Code where post originates, inscribed within a circle where the text follows below the “positive” line curve.
3. Centered: “AM” or “PM” denotes the first or last 12 REAL hours of the day the post is processed for delivery – stamp cancelled. (Not shift during which it was sorted.)
4. Horizontal orientation: dd/mm - 24 DEC – from evidence sample. Daily manual change.
5. Year followed by local U.S. Postal station, or sub-station code: 1974 3B – from evidence sample. These six (6) characters are clearly oriented and aligned above the “negative” line curve.
STAMP AND DIE PRACTICES: These “tools” were a combination of embossed metal plates – where information is not manipulated by local mail handlers, and rubber characters on a “track” manipulated by virtue of small gears. The dd/mm/ and yyyy would be rubber. Everything else, embossed metal. Note: the “4” in 1974 is not well aligned with “197.”
To summarize: The envelope was deposited in Fort Worth, TX at the Wedgewood sub-station, after midnight, on December 23, 1974. OR it was presented at the counter that morning. Thing is: if you stand in line and have your letter “hand-cancelled” they keep it. They don’t give it back to you. It is legally in possesion of the USPS. No mail was delivered on December 25[SUP]th[/SUP]. The earliest the “envelope” could have arrived is Thursday, December 26[SUP]th[/SUP]. The “letter” was presented to Francis Arnold sometime on the morning of the 24[SUP]th[/SUP] by Debra. Rachel’s mother called the police. The police came to 6[SUP]th[/SUP] Avenue to collect that evidence. They asked for the envelope and had to wait several days before it was produced (as it had not arrived?)
The envelope is addressed in pencil. “Rachel” is the return address. It’s not identical to the signature on the letter. It is a practiced facsimile. IMO.
I got married in 1972. Had a baby in 1973, another in 1975, another in 1977. I turned to my wedding album and baby books for examples of postmarks. My father-in-law retired from that sub-station, but started out downtown (1A) so, I do have some background on this subject. They are consistent in characteristics, even the ones from out of state. 3B is the Wedgewood Sub-Station. It was clear to police that the envelope produced by TT was mailed from that location to his home less than 1 mile away – not Seminary South, or Elliasville, Weatherford, Throckmorton or anywhere else.
Also, the letter was folded in a way that did not fit the envelope. Too big. Neither were a hoax – they were obstruction of justice. The police did not know what to make of this strange “evidence” and still don’t. That letter and that envelope never met each other.
If that letter were going to produce a confession – it would have long ago. It is proof that Tommy lied. It isn’t proof of what happened. It’s proof of something, but what? I have my opinion.
Do I need to post my postmark samples? I will if you aren’t convinced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member