TX TX - Julie Moseley, 9, Mary Trlica, 17, Lisa Wilson, 14, Fort Worth, 23 Dec 1974 #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If memory serves me correctly, there was only one present in the car and that was the one they picked up from layaway and it was not a store at the mall
Apologies if i have this completely wrong but I think there was one pair of new jeans found in the car also. These were jeans that were purchased by girls at the Army/Navy store. I believe both Renee and Rachel purchased jeans that day, but I don't recall which girl the jeans in the car belonged to.

Melissa Highsmith case giving renewed hope in one of Fort Worth's biggest unsolved mysteries​

Rachel Trlica's brother, Rusty Arnold, told WFAA an anonymous donor offered a $50,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction Tuesday.

Author: Sydney Persing
Published: 10:44 PM CST November 29, 2022
Updated: 11:01 AM CST November 30, 2022
FacebookTwitter
FORT WORTH, Texas — The disappearance of Rachel Trlica, 17, Renee Wilson, 14, and Julie Ann Mosley, 9, stands as one of Fort Worth’s biggest unsolved mysteries.
The girls went Christmas shopping at the Seminary South Shopping Center, now known as La Gran Plaza, and were never heard from again, leaving behind only a car with presents left in the parking lot.

Rachel's brother, Rusty Arnold, was only 11 at the time.
"I was just wanting to find my sister," he told WFAA.
"And for the last 48 years…I’m just wanting to find my sister."
Arnold has never stopped conducting research and searching for clues.
He even worked with diving organizations to search the bottoms of local lakes.
"I can't tell you how many holes we've dug in the ground," he said.
"We dug up car parts. No girls."

But Arnold had new hope Sunday when he learned Melissa Highsmith, the baby kidnapped in Fort Worth 51 years ago, said she reunited with her family.
"The goosebumps," he told WFAA.
"It’s insane, that someone could turn up after 51 years. I’d like to see our girls turn up after 48. It took 51 years, but they got closure. I don't know if I'll ever get it...but I'll keep trying."
Arnold pointed to the proximity between the two disappearances.
"Melissa disappeared a block over from Seminary South Shopping Center, Rachel disappeared at Seminary South Shopping Center," he said.
Arnold said on Tuesday an anonymous donor stepped forward with a $50,000 dollar reward for someone with information leading to an arrest and conviction.
That money, plus Melissa's story, adds fuel to his fire to find his sister and her friends.
"I'm not gonna quit until I find out what happened to them." <modsnip: several unrelated links>

Last edited by a moderator:
DEC 5, 2022
‘Missing Trio’ Rachel Trlica, Renee Wilson, Julie Moseley

missing_trio.png

Rachel Trlica, Renee Wilson, and Julie Moseley, known as the “Missing Trio,” were last seen at the Seminary South Shopping Center in Fort Worth, Texas on December 23, 1974. Family tells Dateline the girls were listed as runaways by the Fort Worth Police Department for the first year, then were reassigned to the Major Case Unit after a private investigator for the families expressed frustration over the status of the investigation. Authorities have released few details on the case over the years, leading some family members to grow even more frustrated. Rachel Trlica would be 65 years old today, Renee Wilson would be 62 years old today, and Julie Moseley would be 57 years old today. A spokesperson for the Fort Worth Police Department confirmed that the case is still open and directs anyone with information on the missing trio to please call the Fort Worth Police Department at (817) 392-4442.

Apologies if i have this completely wrong but I think there was one pair of new jeans found in the car also. These were jeans that were purchased by girls at the Army/Navy store. I believe both Renee and Rachel purchased jeans that day, but I don't recall which girl the jeans in the car belonged to.
Absolutely.
I mean... I can't tell for sure cause obviously I never had an access to case files or anything like that, but this is one of those rare things that all sources seem to agree on:
that there was one pair of new jeans bought at the Army Navy Store found in the trunk.
Some claimed that there was also old pair of Renee's jeans there.

It should be clear for the investigators unless girls were wearing same size.
And I never wondered about it before, but now I do.
Were they in such a hurry that Renee just stayed in the jeans she tried on to save few minutes in changing room?
Or weren't they and she payed and went back to change them just to enjoy new pair?

Absolutely.
I mean... I can't tell for sure cause obviously I never had an access to case files or anything like that, but this is one of those rare things that all sources seem to agree on:
that there was one pair of new jeans bought at the Army Navy Store found in the trunk.
Some claimed that there was also old pair of Renee's jeans there.

It should be clear for the investigators unless girls were wearing same size.
And I never wondered about it before, but now I do.
Were they in such a hurry that Renee just stayed in the jeans she tried on to save few minutes in changing room?
Or weren't they and she payed and went back to change them just to enjoy new pair?

I always understood it to have been two pair in the trunk, one new and one old, both belonging to Renee. She was getting them out of layaway so if we assume she tried them on before putting them in layaway there would really be no reason to do it again. I think she probably just wanted to wear a pair of the new ones to the mall, or wherever it was they were going to.

Last edited:
I always understood it to have been two pair in the trunk, one new and one old, both belonging to Renee. She was getting them out of layaway so if we assume she tried them on before putting them in layaway there would really be no reason to do it again. I think she probably just wanted to wear a pair of the new ones to the mall, or wherever it was they were going to.
Did Rachel not buy a pair of jeans, also ? If so, and they were not in the car, she may have stopped off at home to either change into them or leave then at home before the planned trip to the Mall.

But it wouldn't really make much sense to stop at Rachel's to change jeans but not leave the gift there. Especially if they were planning to stop somewhere else or pick up someone else on the way (even if not being certain about it and consider it only as "maybe").

Last edited:
But it wouldn't really make much sense to stop at Rachel's to change jeans but not leave the gift there. Especially if they were planning to stop somewhere else or pick up someone else on the way (even if not being certain about it and consider it only as "maybe").
True. Good point about the gift. Only unless she thought the child might be there and she did not want him to see the gift (but if I recall correctly the child was very young).

Did Rachel not buy a pair of jeans, also ? If so, and they were not in the car, she may have stopped off at home to either change into them or leave then at home before the planned trip to the Mall.

I don't think Rachel did but for some reason was in the store with Renee.This raises the question of where was Julie? Why would a nine year old stay in the car alone and not go in?
I can't remember what the source of this information was and don't have time to look for it right now. Maybe someone else can help us out on that. It seems like there was a discussion about it here on this thread but I'm not for sure.

True. Good point about the gift. Only unless she thought the child might be there and she did not want him to see the gift (but if I recall correctly the child was very young).
Impossible, boy was something like 2 years old at the time, maybe even younger and lived with his mother.
He was supposed to spend some time with them at Christmas but it wasn't that long since she left home (maybe bit over an hour) and then:
- Thomas was at work (or should be, and most tend to agree that he was),
- DA was (as far as Rachel was concerned) likely still in bed, asleep,
- and Rachel herself had this pre-planned trip to the mall,
- also Thomas had his weekly bowling alley meeting planned for evening,
so really no reason to expect that child to be there. No arrangement with anyone to take care of him, even DA was considered as possibly joining the trip, child's mother never mentioning any plans to drop him off there on that day...

And even theoretically (maybe I am putting bit too much on that gift) but it was so carefully wrapped, and placed where the decorative paper nor a gift could be damaged by anything... It wouldn't make much sense to stop at home again, possibly to change pants or/and ask DA if she's ready/willing to go now and:
- not take the gift home (and hide it in the closet or something),
- not pick it up to put it in trunk (in case that DA will go and take a back seat),
- go inside with Renee to allow her to change her pants, but (assumming that one new pair may belong to Rachel) not leave the new pair at home, if they were accessing the trunk anyway...
I don't think Rachel did but for some reason was in the store with Renee.This raises the question of where was Julie? Why would a nine year old stay in the car alone and not go in?
I can't remember what the source of this information was and don't have time to look for it right now. Maybe someone else can help us out on that. It seems like there was a discussion about it here on this thread but I'm not for sure.
There was a discussion about it, even more than once if I recall correctly but it led us nowhere.
Clerks at Army Navy haven't recalled seeing Julie, but there is no telling how probable it was to miss her just cause she wasn't directly near the girls.
And... it's not what I was thinking before, but now I wonder cause:
- Renee was 14, yet considered old enough to get almost-engaged, nothing odd with it.
- Rachel was barely 17, considered old enough to get married at 16 and go to live on her own with her new, older husband.
- age gap between Renee and Rachel didn't stopped them from being best friends, and that friendship surely started years prior.
Considering the above I'm not really sure if there is certainly anything odd here. Cause sure, Julie was significantly younger, and sure, they were well aware that Julie can't go anywhere without her mother's permission... and sure, they took responsibility for her - BUT - I'm not so sure if even most adults at the time would consider leaving 9 yo alone in car for few minutes as odd or irresponsible, while just briefly going into the store (that had only few parking spots, so likely car left very close to the entrance). It was 1974 after all.
And they were just picking up things left on layway, so not even shopping there, it'd be just few minutes. They could even think that leaving Julie in the car would make it quicker cause they will just go in&out, not risking spending more precious time with Julie, possibly wanting to check out something - or figure that since Julie was into visiting the mall, not some clothing store, staying in a car for a bit may be more interesting for her than going out (also possibly no need to use key to close doors if Julie was supposed to stay inside).

Perhaps there was a fourth person in the car ? The Gone Cold Podcast mentions 'CJG' being on the scene at the Mosely's that morning. According to that podcast a witness puts him at the Record Store at the Mall, also.

Perhaps there was a fourth person in the car ? The Gone Cold Podcast mentions 'CJG' being on the scene at the Mosely's that morning. According to that podcast a witness puts him at the Record Store at the Mall, also.
But isn't the fourth person usually sitting behind passenger seat, not behind the driver?
Was that gift even fingerprinted?

But how reliable they are?

Recently I was so excited to see that they have almost an hour long episode on Ora Lee Prescott - murder victim from 1977. I was very eager to listen cause few months ago, when I was trying to find some info on her there was barely anything available. They had some info, but like 70% of that episode wasn't about Ora, but her daughter, who tragically also became a victim of a serial killer. The fact that they both died so horifically is heartbreaking, but I felt like there is some honesty lacking - why promise it to be about Ora Lee, if it was mostly about Wendy Rochelle? Why not made it clear in the title that it is about Ora and Wendy's murders?

First part on Rachel, Renee and Julie also started with high note.
They're claiming that DA showed up at the A's home, where police was called and gave investigators the letter, but delivered it without an envelope. Then got asked about the envelope, drove back to T's residence and came back to A's with the envelope.
From where they're getting that info?
Is that some valid source, or are they just spreading their fantasy or filling the gaps with guesses? I have no issue with listening or watching somebodys theory, but they spoke with confidence that implies they're telling a story that they have something to back up. In the very beginning their version of events varies so much from what verified insiders shared here. Right before that they said something to the accord that either TT's MIL or FIL drove him to work on that day. So same strange uncertaintity as we have here, but later one shocking difference after another. They seem to be telling completely different story.

I've listened bit more and that is ridiculous. So many obviously wrong facts read in such confident voice that i feel obligated to believe it but it's just spam.

But how reliable they are

From what Ive read, LE interviewed CJG/Virgil at least once before his death. So the nagging questions are, did he confirm being with the girls at the Mall? what was his timeline? Did he go in the A's car to the mall and back again? where and when did he last see them?

I would love to see that LE Interview transcript...

But isn't the fourth person usually sitting behind passenger seat, not behind the driver?
Was that gift even fingerprinted?
What do you mean by “isn’t the fourth person usually sitting behind passenger seat, not behind the driver?” Meaning that if there are three people in a car the third normally sits behind the driver?

I've listened bit more and that is ridiculous. So many obviously wrong facts read in such confident voice that i feel obligated to believe it but it's just spam.
What bothers me the most is when podcasters claim that gifts that the girls bought at the mall were in the car. It is well established that the only gift that was in the car was one that Renee had gotten for TT's son Shawn prior to the mall trip.

I don't know whether the girls purchased anything at the mall or not. I believe that they made it there with CJG and then went to the house on Minot after parting ways with him. I believe that the car was staged at the mall by the killer with the help of a female accomplice.

The killer probably wanted law enforcement to think that the girls had not made it back to the car, so if there were any purchases from the mall in the car, the killer probably destroyed or discarded them along with the girls' bodies.

I don't know where the girls' bodies are, but I think that they were likely stored in steel drums at the transmission shop until the killer had a chance to dispose of them. I think that Rachel was killed at the house on Minot in a fit of rage, but I think that Renee and Julie were probably killed at the transmission shop. They were probably either strangled and placed into the steel drums or drowned in transmission fluid.

I don't think that the killer's female accomplice participated in the killing of Rachel, but I think that she helped kill Renee and Julie. That is the only explanation I can think of for why she has not confessed her role and helped get Rachel's murderer convicted and executed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaravpatel