TX TX - Julie Moseley, 9, Mary Trlica, 17, Lisa Wilson, 14, Fort Worth, 23 Dec 1974 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The only thing that sounds reasonable to me is that all 3 were abducted and killed. Lots of serial killers running around in the 70s. Even the note to Tommy makes sense. SK's liked to write even if it didn't always make sense. Nothing else makes sense to me because of Julie. Just MOO.
JMO, but I am entirely sure if it was an abduction as such...maybe more a situation that went downhill very quickly. As you say plenty of SKs roaming around in the 1970s, but I do not think it was a random serial killer in this case.

Even the note to Tommy makes sense.
So following that train of thought, one question is...how did said SK 1) know of Tommy (and refer to him as "Thomas") and 2) get his address? In that scenario, likely from Rachel, and under duress. Or found an envelope in her car addressed to them both and did the math. But I don't know of any SKs who have written so flippantly; they are taunting - either LE or victim's families. They want credit, and to bask in their 'accomplishments' being acknowledged...so writing a fake first person "we had to get away" completely changes the narrative and puts a victim (Rachel) seemingly in control - the exact opposite of known SK psyche.

I think it was one of two events. 1) The note was written by an abductor, or someone adjacent to the abductor/s to buy some initial time before all hell broke loose - trying to send LE sniffing in the wrong direction (Houston), and play down any 'missing' urgency. But it doesn't take a Mensa card to realize panic would've already ensued with a 9 year old unaccounted for before the day was even out, let alone after an all night parking lot stakeout, and certainly long before the letter 'arrived.' You could argue the letter was written before Julie came into picture, but still, Renee is known to have wanted to be back for the party. If the chatter at the scene was "the girls are missing," it's entirely possible Julie wasn't even known to be there until her mother weighed in. The timeline and info gathering stage is snail paced w/o cell phones compared to now. So "girls" would still be accurate, referring to Rachel and Renee and the letter said "we." Whoever wrote it knew it wasn't just Rachel (i.e. I just had to get away", and that's a clue. If it was only based on her car, then it had to have been someone who knew Renee was in on the plans beforehand, saw them at the mall or heard one way or the other that Rachel wasn't alone.

The 2nd scenario is a shortlist entry for the most ill conceived hoax of all time. As in, completely unrelated to the actual disappearance, just some kid being a d. So in the moment not thinking, "this is hysterical, 50 years will go by with no answers, I'm such a hoot." After days/weeks deciding to not come forward and risking whatever consequences a kid would imagine. Or at the very least avoiding the reaction of the families if there were any remorse. So, with no internet or even CNN yet, that kid goes to college on the east coast, moves to Canada with family, ODs on vacation in Galveston, gets hit by a bus, who knows...it's entirely possible it was forgotten about. A triple disappearance is unusual, but in '74 into '75 not front page news across the U.S. and if it was, not for weeks and weeks as would be the case now. Coupled with LE who while might not be involved, sure as hell don't want to advertise they have no answers AND the fact that LE was woefully disconnected to other jurisdictions, it's a mess. It seems inconceivable to us WSers that someone could not have heard about this case. But IMO 99.9+% of people likely never have.

One thing that's always given me pause is the language. I've mentioned it before, but was someone like Rachel (or anyone for that matter) likely to say "catch it"? Is that regional, at least in the early 70s? And "we just had to get away" sounds so airy, and non-teenager like. Almost like it was pulled from a Virginia Slims print ad or something someone's mother said a lot. I suppose "blow this popsicle stand" and "gets to steppin'" have their timeframes too. But it's also important what the note DIDN'T say i.e., "eff all y'all, we're never coming back" AND simply stated the obvious..."the car is in Sear's (sic) upper lot." Who wants the car to be located asap, and why bother? Unless you know there is no way to tie you (the writer of the letter) to it, because you weren't in it, and likely didn't touch it.

maybe more a situation that went downhill very quickly.
Agreed. I think the general opinion is Julie was an unfortunate bystander swept in at the point of no return.

So if you remove Julie's presence, and look at that day unfold from the beginning, we really can't be certain who the intended target was, Rachel, Renee or both. I'm not convinced the intended target was supposed to die. I can see a threat escalating to violence if everyone is already on edge and/or on drugs. Especially if there were very high stakes such as money or knowledge of something, and definitely if one/both of the targets then threatened to "tell."

Outside of money or silencing, another flashpoint is sexual jealousy. With Tommy and Rachel, was someone cheating or accused of it or could there be a triangle? With Renee, was someone enraged she received a promise ring? A triple murder seems over the top, but if it started as threats, someone thew a punch and it then escalated I wouldn't be surprised.

Yes, Juie was the victim of a confluence of random chance and events leading to her murder.

<modsnip - off topic>

Last edited by a moderator:
The SK getting her to write the note would be probably at knife or gun point. He probably told her what to write. Her address was on her license more than likely. He was drawing attention to people they knew and away from him. I honestly don't see someone they know disposing of a 9 year old. They probably would have told her to run away before stuff went down. The only other option for attacking all 3 would be a gang if someone owed money for drugs. Maybe Tommy? But they would have sent a whole different message to Tommy. JMO.

* I have heard the phrase "Gonna catch it" I grew up with family that didn't swear so that was the phrase they used it when the kids were in trouble.

This case has many options for what could happened but a lot of those bring up even more questions. Like someone had to know if Rachel or Renee had problems with someone. Family, friends, acquaintances, someone had to know. Rachel and her sister were close. One would think she would know if Rachel was having issues with someone or a group of someone's. JMO here too.

He was drawing attention to people they knew and away from him. I honestly don't see someone they know disposing of a 9 year old
So my point is, if it's someone they don't know, then there's no point in writing the letter in the first place. A killer who is a stranger isn't going through the machinations of writing and mailing (or delivering, which some think) a letter for no reason. A SK wants the fix, and isn't concerned with fabricating a story or who the hell Tommy/Thomas is in the first place.

That being said, someone ELSE who is known to Rachel (or some combination of the parties involved) forcing her to write it is entirely possible. The writing itself has stutter stop spacing, looks to have last second inserts, and overall doesn't flow. Not to mention I don't think it was originally "Houston," and we've all discussed the signature. That could be Rachel panicking, another person hurrying, or a hoaxer improvising.

Family, friends, acquaintances, someone had to know.
It's entirely possible they did and aren't talking. You might not talk if you were (still) threatened, or if doing so implicates your involvement, even as a unwitting accomplice after the fact. Perhaps, the "big deal' motive was only big to one person. People can have grudges and stew for a lifetime. But I think the actual threat/abduction/murder/disposal was beyond chaotic and not planned.

Rachel and her sister were close. One would think she would know if Rachel was having issues with someone or a group of someone's.
Just Devil's advocate here...there are those who believe the sister WAS the issue. In one way or the other and directly involved herself or not.

* I have heard the phrase "Gonna catch it" I grew up with family that didn't swear so that was the phrase they used it when the kids were in trouble
Ah. That's good to note. The message sounds very breezy, and drafted (but possibly not written) by someone with nerves of steel after witnessing a hell of a scene, someone who knew what was supposed to happen but not what actually did, or someone who had no idea and started a prank that echoed for decades.

So my point is, if it's someone they don't know, then there's no point in writing the letter in the first place. A killer who is a stranger isn't going through the machinations of writing and mailing (or delivering, which some think) a letter for no reason. A SK wants the fix, and isn't concerned with fabricating a story or who the hell Tommy/Thomas is in the first place.

That being said, someone ELSE who is known to Rachel (or some combination of the parties involved) forcing her to write it is entirely possible. The writing itself has stutter stop spacing, looks to have last second inserts, and overall doesn't flow. Not to mention I don't think it was originally "Houston," and we've all discussed the signature. That could be Rachel panicking, another person hurrying, or a hoaxer improvising.

It's entirely possible they did and aren't talking. You might not talk if you were (still) threatened, or if doing so implicates your involvement, even as a unwitting accomplice after the fact. Perhaps, the "big deal' motive was only big to one person. People can have grudges and stew for a lifetime. But I think the actual threat/abduction/murder/disposal was beyond chaotic and not planned.

Just Devil's advocate here...there are those who believe the sister WAS the issue. In one way or the other and directly involved herself or not.

Ah. That's good to note. The message sounds very breezy, and drafted (but possibly not written) by someone with nerves of steel after witnessing a hell of a scene, someone who knew what was supposed to happen but not what actually did, or someone who had no idea and started a prank that echoed for decades.
You make excellent points. The note may not even be involved. It could have been someone just playing hoax after knowledge of the disappearances. I know there has been questioning of when exactly the note arrived. Was it Christmas Eve or after Christmas. And the hand delivery possibility as well.

Another theory I have had is that Rachel and Renee lost Julie and couldn't find her. So they scratched out this note and disappeared. However it would be so hard to lay low for this long without having fake SSI. Which would be hard to acquire without money. I am unsure what getting a job without SSI and drivers license was like in the 70s because I was very young in the 70s. Not to mention they left their ride behind. But if eyewitness to Rachel being back in Dallas at Christmas time later on is true. This theory makes sense. Honestly though I don't think she was really sighted back in Dallas later on. All MOO

Another theory I have had is that Rachel and Renee lost Julie and couldn't find her. So they scratched out this note and disappeared.
Now THAT I hadn't considered. But even out of the box prompts discussion. My sense is it would be easier for both Rachel and Julie to start new lives rather than live with that secret. One, potentially but unlikely. But BOTH of them and neither cracks I don't see. Plus, while I don't know much of their personalities, they don't seem to be masterminds who could pull it off. Plus, they both would know how to spell "Rachel."

As for Rachel sightings, I think it's wishful thinking and/or a deliberate false narrative. It would be interesting to know what was happening in the case and the key players WHEN those sighting were allegedly made. If someone started to tug at a loose thread, I can see starting a goose chase and redirecting efforts. As we can see now, you say it once, it's repeated forever and unfortunately often relayed as fact. Then with Rachel being 'kept away' it starts getting fantastical. Unless she's in WITSEC...but now we're what-iffing instead of staying with facts. And where is Renee? And at the end of the day, where did Julie end up?

I continue to hope this is solved or at least their bodies found, as I believe they are dead. This is one case where I can imagine an explanation found in a bank deposit box or the beans spilled by one person when another has finally died.

Now THAT I hadn't considered. But even out of the box prompts discussion. My sense is it would be easier for both Rachel and Julie to start new lives rather than live with that secret. One, potentially but unlikely. But BOTH of them and neither cracks I don't see. Plus, while I don't know much of their personalities, they don't seem to be masterminds who could pull it off. Plus, they both would know how to spell "Rachel."

As for Rachel sightings, I think it's wishful thinking and/or a deliberate false narrative. It would be interesting to know what was happening in the case and the key players WHEN those sighting were allegedly made. If someone started to tug at a loose thread, I can see starting a goose chase and redirecting efforts. As we can see now, you say it once, it's repeated forever and unfortunately often relayed as fact. Then with Rachel being 'kept away' it starts getting fantastical. Unless she's in WITSEC...but now we're what-iffing instead of staying with facts. And where is Renee? And at the end of the day, where did Julie end up?

I continue to hope this is solved or at least their bodies found, as I believe they are dead. This is one case where I can imagine an explanation found in a bank deposit box or the beans spilled by one person when another has finally died.
agreed I also believe all 3 are deceased and probably have been since they disappeared. I hope it is eventually solved. Either death bed confession or DNA from the stamp and envelope.

So following that train of thought, one question is...how did said SK 1) know of Tommy (and refer to him as "Thomas") and 2) get his address? In that scenario, likely from Rachel, and under duress. Or found an envelope in her car addressed to them both and did the math. But I don't know of any SKs who have written so flippantly; they are taunting - either LE or victim's families. They want credit, and to bask in their 'accomplishments' being acknowledged...so writing a fake first person "we had to get away" completely changes the narrative and puts a victim (Rachel) seemingly in control - the exact opposite of known SK psyche.

I think it was one of two events. 1) The note was written by an abductor, or someone adjacent to the abductor/s to buy some initial time before all hell broke loose - trying to send LE sniffing in the wrong direction (Houston), and play down any 'missing' urgency. But it doesn't take a Mensa card to realize panic would've already ensued with a 9 year old unaccounted for before the day was even out, let alone after an all night parking lot stakeout, and certainly long before the letter 'arrived.' You could argue the letter was written before Julie came into picture, but still, Renee is known to have wanted to be back for the party. If the chatter at the scene was "the girls are missing," it's entirely possible Julie wasn't even known to be there until her mother weighed in. The timeline and info gathering stage is snail paced w/o cell phones compared to now. So "girls" would still be accurate, referring to Rachel and Renee and the letter said "we." Whoever wrote it knew it wasn't just Rachel (i.e. I just had to get away", and that's a clue. If it was only based on her car, then it had to have been someone who knew Renee was in on the plans beforehand, saw them at the mall or heard one way or the other that Rachel wasn't alone.

The 2nd scenario is a shortlist entry for the most ill conceived hoax of all time. As in, completely unrelated to the actual disappearance, just some kid being a d. So in the moment not thinking, "this is hysterical, 50 years will go by with no answers, I'm such a hoot." After days/weeks deciding to not come forward and risking whatever consequences a kid would imagine. Or at the very least avoiding the reaction of the families if there were any remorse. So, with no internet or even CNN yet, that kid goes to college on the east coast, moves to Canada with family, ODs on vacation in Galveston, gets hit by a bus, who knows...it's entirely possible it was forgotten about. A triple disappearance is unusual, but in '74 into '75 not front page news across the U.S. and if it was, not for weeks and weeks as would be the case now. Coupled with LE who while might not be involved, sure as hell don't want to advertise they have no answers AND the fact that LE was woefully disconnected to other jurisdictions, it's a mess. It seems inconceivable to us WSers that someone could not have heard about this case. But IMO 99.9+% of people likely never have.

One thing that's always given me pause is the language. I've mentioned it before, but was someone like Rachel (or anyone for that matter) likely to say "catch it"? Is that regional, at least in the early 70s? And "we just had to get away" sounds so airy, and non-teenager like. Almost like it was pulled from a Virginia Slims print ad or something someone's mother said a lot. I suppose "blow this popsicle stand" and "gets to steppin'" have their timeframes too. But it's also important what the note DIDN'T say i.e., "eff all y'all, we're never coming back" AND simply stated the obvious..."the car is in Sear's (sic) upper lot." Who wants the car to be located asap, and why bother? Unless you know there is no way to tie you (the writer of the letter) to it, because you weren't in it, and likely didn't touch it.
If a stranger sent the letter (and I’m not necessarily convinced the letter was even sent in that envelope) all it would take was a look at the car registration in the glove box. It would likely have the full legal name (Thomas instead of Tom or Tommy) and the home address.

If a stranger sent the letter (and I’m not necessarily convinced the letter was even sent in that envelope) all it would take was a look at the car registration in the glove box. It would likely have the full legal name (Thomas instead of Tom or Tommy) and the home address.
I know he inherited the Olds, but do we know for certain the registration was transferred to his name after his mom passed?

I know he inherited the Olds, but do we know for certain the registration was transferred to his name after his mom passed?
Probably was as part of the estate process. If it was done properly, and since there were substantial assets, my guess it would be done.

all it would take was a look at the car registration in the glove box
Agreed. But I'm not sold on the letter writer ever being anywhere near the car. A police scanner or even overhearing a conversation would relate the car was in the upper lot. (side note: if it was the 'employee lot' as I've read, was that set aside for the heavy holiday shopping season? And does anyone know if that lot is near any of the stores the girls were seen in/near?) Granted, you take any spot you can get in a shopping frenzy, but people still have their habits, where did Rachel usually park?

I don't see a random abductor fumbling around in a mall parking lot to find out who the car belonged to, what Rachel's name was, and compiling this information for a letter. There's no point, and there's no time to waste being observed. But I believe the girls were at the mall. So might they have left for a 2nd location and been killed, then the car driven back to appear as that was their last location? Possibly, but I find it hard to believe there was not a single purchase out of the 3 of them. The gift found in the car was said to have already been there. So, either everything newly acquired and what they had on them was taken at the 2nd location leaving the wrapped gift OR, they were at the mall and never made it back into the car.

As I keep thinking more questions come up. Like Did Rachel, specifically because of the note, have a stalker? Was there actual confirmed sightings of them at the mall? They could have ran into this guy at the Army/Navy store, and she rebuffed him. He may have gotten angry and didn't care who was with her. Just random thoughts...MOO

Agreed. But I'm not sold on the letter writer ever being anywhere near the car. A police scanner or even overhearing a conversation would relate the car was in the upper lot. (side note: if it was the 'employee lot' as I've read, was that set aside for the heavy holiday shopping season? And does anyone know if that lot is near any of the stores the girls were seen in/near?) Granted, you take any spot you can get in a shopping frenzy, but people still have their habits, where did Rachel usually park?

I don't see a random abductor fumbling around in a mall parking lot to find out who the car belonged to, what Rachel's name was, and compiling this information for a letter. There's no point, and there's no time to waste being observed. But I believe the girls were at the mall. So might they have left for a 2nd location and been killed, then the car driven back to appear as that was their last location? Possibly, but I find it hard to believe there was not a single purchase out of the 3 of them. The gift found in the car was said to have already been there. So, either everything newly acquired and what they had on them was taken at the 2nd location leaving the wrapped gift OR, they were at the mall and never made it back into the car.
Unless the girls were never at the mall and the car planted there. I don’t think any real solid evidence was presented that they were really there - at least nothing I’ve seen presented from a reputable source.

As I keep thinking more questions come up. Like Did Rachel, specifically because of the note, have a stalker? Was there actual confirmed sightings of them at the mall? They could have ran into this guy at the Army/Navy store, and she rebuffed him. He may have gotten angry and didn't care who was with her. Just random thoughts...MOO
There are mentions of people in the mall remembering Renee's "Sweet Honesty" t-shirt, as well as Rachel and/or Renee talking with a male employee of one of the stores. I don't know how those were verified. It's entirely possible Rachel was targeted and followed out of the mall, or the car was followed from another place.

A midday triple abduction is so brazen, I think Rachel (and at least Renee) knew the person who took them. It might have been them piling into another person's car to go get lunch and then be dropped back off. Or it was sketchy from the beginning and there was a brief scene, but between people who knew each other, not the girls flailing as they were dragged off. Although, if there was a weapon, all 3 would likely go quietly.

Killing Julie is what makes me think they knew their abductor. She must have known or been able to identify either who this person was, where he/she could be found, his/her car which might be unique or otherwise memorable or overheard a name or detail.

Unless the girls were never at the mall and the car planted there.
True. And if the car was planted there, it was by someone who knew they had plans for the mall. If it was planted, it also wasn't by someone who was concerned about any hair or prints left behind. So either someone not yet in the system, a pro at a wipe down, or a person whose hair or prints in Rachel's car wouldn't be suspicious in the first place.

JMO, but I don't think anything happened at the Army/Navy store. They were seen at Rachel's house Minot Ave at around 12.30pm. I believe this would have been after the trip to the Army/Navy store (and possibly the Mall, if they even went there prior to 12.30pm).

If a targeted attack, it was definitely Rachel because of the note. IIRC Rachel had never met Julie before that day. Not sure how many friends Rachel and Renee had in common that would be also known by Julie, who was Renee's boyfriend's little sister IIRC. Were Rachel and Renee BFF's or just casual friends? A person knows more about their BFF's other friends than casual friends do. I am just not sold on the all 3 knew the perp. I also think Rachel and Renee were casual friends. MOO. I am doing a lot of thinking out loud right now just for the feedback.

JMO, but I don't think anything happened at the Army/Navy store. They were seen at Rachel's house Minot Ave at around 12.30pm. I believe this would have been after the trip to the Army/Navy store (and possibly the Mall, if they even went there prior to 12.30pm).
I always assumed they hit the Army/Navy store on the way to the mall. That's what most timelines seemed to imply.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xxxooowow
Back