TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just researching the legal requirements involved with changing one's name in Texas. On a sample petition application there is a field which asks why the applicant would want to change their name. It also states that a person is often required to place an ad in a paper, which states their intentions, as well. Now, assuming.... Ancestry has a humongous database of different documents and lists which involve peoples identities (right from border crossings, to naturalization applications, to BMD records) . . . would Texas have not retained this application, with such relevant information, in some format for future reference?

here it is

the name of the town is Cedar. Its in British Columbia.

I noticed the phone # at the bottom too the 650-8880 if you google it it seems to bring up a 519 area code which is in Canada

there was "These Eyes" , there is a These eyes photography in New York and Canada

we seem to be heading north eh?

Oh my I just reliazed at the time of the DL photo which was about 2002 I lived in the Complex next door, the 1811 frankford address I was there for around 5 years ! sorry OT but how weird

I noticed the phone # at the bottom too the 650-8880 if you google it it seems to bring up a 519 area code which is in Canada

there was "These Eyes" , there is a These eyes photography in New York and Canada

Just want to point out that the 519 area code was created in 1994 and it is in Ontario, Canada. The 519-650-xxxx area is near Toronto, towards the east side of Canada. It is a two or three day drive from Cedar, which is on the west coast.

Just want to point out that the 519 area code was created in 1994 and it is in Ontario, Canada. The 519-650-xxxx area is near Toronto, towards the east side of Canada. It is a two or three day drive from Cedar, which is on the west coast.

~ Actually, the 519 area code is West of Toronto and covers a large area.
Area code 519 covers a wide area (over 36,000 km²)

Area Code 519 History:

01/01/1953
Area code 519 was put into service. Area code 519 was created from a split of area codes 416 and 613. In 1957 area code 519, along with area code 613, was split to form area code 705. In 2006 area code 519 was overlaid with area code 226.

Major cities or places in Ontario within area code 519 include:

Area codes 519 and 226 cover most of southwest Ontario including the larger communities of Brantford, Cambridge, Chatham, Clinton, Guelph, Kitchener-Waterloo, Leamington, London, Orangeville, Owen Sound, Sarnia, Stratford, Windsor and Woodstock in addition to many smaller communities within the 519 and 226 service area.

Hey Sloane,
Would you have a link to 'These Eyes' photography in NY and Canada, I can't locate it on Google.

~ Actually, the 519 area code is West of Toronto and covers a large area.
Area code 519 covers a wide area (over 36,000 km²)

Area Code 519 History:

01/01/1953
Area code 519 was put into service. Area code 519 was created from a split of area codes 416 and 613. In 1957 area code 519, along with area code 613, was split to form area code 705. In 2006 area code 519 was overlaid with area code 226.

Major cities or places in Ontario within area code 519 include:

Area codes 519 and 226 cover most of southwest Ontario including the larger communities of Brantford, Cambridge, Chatham, Clinton, Guelph, Kitchener-Waterloo, Leamington, London, Orangeville, Owen Sound, Sarnia, Stratford, Windsor and Woodstock in addition to many smaller communities within the 519 and 226 service area.

And your source? (Wikipedia?!?!)

Canada is a large country. The 519 area code is and has always been Ontario. Which is more toward the east side of Canada. https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf...gl=us&ei=2A6pUpLFKabyyAHx44DIAw&ved=0CJMBELYD

Actually... No, No, and No to the above quote.

About an Ontario connection...
If she were from certain parts of Ontario, then she would likely have a discernable accent and noticable vernacular, but it's not known if any of her in-laws or the people in the area where FLEK lived would have been aware that her accent was from a particular region of Ontario.

Tea and teapots. There are lots of historical type of tea places across Canada, not really specific to any regions in Canada. Again, it would be great to see some of the items she had. Did she have any older Blue Mountain Pottery teapots, did she have tea items from any of the former Palliser Hotels, any Royal Albert, Royal Doulton, etc.

Not sure if I related this here before, but.... I am from the Prairies in Canada. Ten years ago, I was staying in England and had gone to a Boots Pharmacy there. One of the sales ladies there asked if she could help me find something and I proceeded to tell her what I was looking for.

She immediately asked me, "What part are you from?"
"Oh, I am not from the States." (Not sure why I assumed that she meant that.)
"I know you are not from the States.....I can tell that you are Canadian. I used to live there."

In my naive world, I did not realize that I had an 'accent'. Also, when I spoke with a woman on the phone from Texas, she said that my Canadian accent sounded 'dainty Irish' to her. Not sure what that meant. LOL

Couple of comments again on the photos that are in the photos only thread (sloane ;). I understand things being tagged to sell. However, am I seeing a tag on the kitchen island? Why would you sell that? And, what about the overhead microwave? Is that a tag too? I don't get either of those. Wouldn't those be selling points of the house? Or, am I just seeing those wrong? If I am seeing those correctly, were these folks having financial trouble? I'm no realtor, but I just don't get that.

As to the teapots, I think that if the tea party thing was a sentimental thing from my past, then I would look for teapots to collect that invoked those feelings; that were similar to what my grandma or mom had; that maybe even were regional and invoked memories or sentimental feelings. Anybody know anything about the teapots in the cupboards? Do we need a teapot expert? And, for all the empty picture frames and other things that are tagged, why wouldn't these be tagged for sale?

Edit: I just realized that maybe her letter asked the family to save the teapots for her daughter? Or, maybe they just decided to?

we dont know why things were tagged. Could be tagged for storage, tagged for goodwill donation, tagged for sale....I almost bet the husband was NOT in charge of disposing of the stuff, I doubt if he went back to the house at all. I am guessing his family was taking care of it ( or more likely paid someone else to do it, hence the tagging.)

Cedar is also a very common tree to that area of Texas. Could mean anything.

EVERYTHING we know about her, which is to say almost nothing at all, is from that Seattle Times article quoting members of the Ruff family. People who, by their own admission, barely knew her. I agree a "non accent" IS a sort of accent.

My thoughts on the realtor pictures were that 1) it was surprising the clutter wasn't removed and the house more staged to show better and 2) it was boring décor with no discernible personality.

yes, cedar could mean anything. We have covered that. I was specifically trying to link it to our convo that the detective had thought she was from the Pacific NW area.
On that note, there is a Cedar Park in Texas that is a popular vacation area. Wonder if the family visited it.
Maybe she just likes nice closets. lol.

And your source? (Wikipedia?!?!)

Canada is a large country. The 519 area code is and has always been Ontario. Which is more toward the east side of Canada. https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf...gl=us&ei=2A6pUpLFKabyyAHx44DIAw&ved=0CJMBELYD

Hi ClaireNC!

I totally forgot to add my link.
http://www.areacodehelp.com/where/area_code_519.shtml

I live in Canada. Toronto actually, and 519 is west of Toronto.

When you mention the east side of Canada...that actually covers a huge array of possibilities which isn't necessary :)

519 typically covers parts of Southern Ontario, Kitchener, Cambridge, Galt, Guelph, etc, and extends to Windsor ON which is on the border of Michigan and Southern Ontario.

yes, cedar could mean anything. We have covered that. I was specifically trying to link it to our convo that the detective had thought she was from the Pacific NW area.
On that note, there is a Cedar Park in Texas that is a popular vacation area. Wonder if the family visited it.
Maybe she just likes nice closets. lol.

.... and an FYI, we have a lot of Cedar's in Canada too :seeya:

Actually... No, No, and No to the above quote.

About an Ontario connection...
If she were from certain parts of Ontario, then she would likely have a discernable accent and noticable vernacular, but it's not known if any of her in-laws or the people in the area where FLEK lived would have been aware that her accent was from a particular region of Ontario.

Tea and teapots. There are lots of historical type of tea places across Canada, not really specific to any regions in Canada. Again, it would be great to see some of the items she had. Did she have any older Blue Mountain Pottery teapots, did she have tea items from any of the former Palliser Hotels, any Royal Albert, Royal Doulton, etc.

~ The Fairmont Empress Hotel in Victoria BC is known for 'tea time'.
I have been there, it is an extremely elegant experience!

http://www.fairmont.com/empress-victoria/

But Google will also pull up a business is San Antonio under the 210 area code, a photo studio in LA, and a lot of other assorted businesses (including a Bojangles Chicken in Myrtle Beach.) I think it's reading too much into it jump on the possible Canadian area code just because they think she might be from the Pacific Northwest.

But Google will also pull up a business is San Antonio under the 210 area code, a photo studio in LA, and a lot of other assorted businesses (including a Bojangles Chicken in Myrtle Beach.) I think it's reading too much into it jump on the possible Canadian area code just because they think she might be from the Pacific Northwest.

yeah I am reaching! oh well......

it would be very helpful to have someone on here who knew her in even a minor capacity. i keep thinking that she probably wouldn't have vastly changed biographical details in meeting people simply there wouldn't be a reason to do so. in other words, why lie when you don't have to.

there would be no reason to hide things such as hobbies, interests, non-specific background information, etc. why make stuff up unless you have to, when someone could call you on it and make things seem really weird? if you're into skiing there's no reason to pretend to not be. if you're from idaho why lie to others about that - if you lie and say you're from south dakota and someone says "oh what part" then you're probably hosed.

my point is we could probably glean a ton of information from someone who didn't know her that well...someone who met her at a cocktail party or who did her hair for example. there'd be no reason to lie about inconsequential details to someone who isn't suspicious about your past. whether it's an enjoyment of tea time or a fond remembrance of summer camp in washington, i think it would be pretty easy to narrow down our search by talking to someone who remembers knowing her even briefly.

my 2 cents.

I'm sorry, but that can't be so. I've already found more pictures of her than what is linked to in that article.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a good profile image of her.

Yes, you are right, there are also the pictures in these articles. Which are also in this post, Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - TX - "Lori Ruff", Longview, WhtFem (UP 9863), *General Discussion and Theories*

May 2010 – Attended Texas Business Women Region 7 Conference Spring Awards banquet. http://www.ntxe-news.com/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi?archive=39&num=62028&printer=1

May 2010 – Attended meeting of Texas Business Woman of Bonham and Fannin Counties http://www.ntxe-news.com/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi?archive=38&num=62394

June 2010 – Attended meeting of Texas Business Woman of Bonham and Fannin Counties http://www.ntxe-news.com/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi?archive=39&num=62769

August 2010 – Attended meeting of Texas Business Woman of Bonham and Fannin Counties http://www.ntxe-news.com/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi?archive=40&num=63743&printer=1

October 2010 – Attended Forum held by the Texas Business Woman (Lori pictured in next to last picture.) http://www.ntxe-news.com/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi?archive=41&num=65181

We do have a "photos only" thread here. Photos Only *NO DISCUSSION* - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Have you found any other pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members